8.0.2 Feedback Thread

I would love to say that this patch fixed everything, but I've reloaded my game vs Barca at least 20 times, and each game Eto'o or Henry scores from 25 yards plus at least once.

Its like back to 8.0.0., I had Van de Vaart scoring at will beyond 30 yards.

In 8.0.1 that was all but fixed

In 8.0.2 it's coming back even worse

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was critical of the "out of the box" version of FM08 and the 8.01 version of the game, but credit where credit is due, 8.02 has got the game back on track and feels a lot more realistic and the match engine appears to simulate a very good game of football, so its only fair for me to be as quick with my praise to SI as I was with my criticism of them. Well done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

I've been completely unable to have any success at all with any 442 formation, despite studying the work of the Tactics Forum's greatest minds. I can't hang on to leads no matter how I try.

I've not enjoyed an FM less. Sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's strange. I can't get any consistency or success without playing 4-4-2

what I find strange is, I´m yet to see defender make a mistake,and I play BSP. It´s like every BSP team has 4 Maldinis at the back. my defence also.

closing down and tackling is so magical.

I´m only able to score with FK, corner or long shot. I have seen one goal scored from inside the box so far and I´ve played almost full season.

I dont understand how everybody keeps getting these weird results, cause my "favourite" score is 0:0.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

Its the problem where, me (as a big club like Liverpool for example) try playing a pressing possession game, I score and win but when I look at the game stats the opposition have about 70% possession and 2 of their players have basically knocked the ball between them with no view to going forward even though they are losing, while my players who are told to close down stand by and watch.

My enjoyment of the game doesnt really come from results but in style of play, this ruins my possession game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ways to help prevent this:

1) Play a high defensive line

2) Target the opposition midfielders with opposition specific instructions such as pressing, or even man mark them.

3) If you are outnumbered in central midfield, as a striker or wide man to man mark one of the midfielders concerned.

4) If you have a defensive midfielder, he may sit too deep and give them more space to do this. Push him into midfield or have him man mark one of them.

One or more of these steps may help.

Cheers,

Paul

Agree particularly with 3 from Paul- I think many ignore these useful tactical options.

What would be nice for FM09 would be the ability to lock these opposition instructions in stone, as sometimes I forget to set this up when I tend to use the same options for every game.

Closing down wingers using this is very effective too- especially if you want to play narrow but need your players to close down their wide men.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

Its the problem where, me (as a big club like Liverpool for example) try playing a pressing possession game, I score and win but when I look at the game stats the opposition have about 70% possession and 2 of their players have basically knocked the ball between them with no view to going forward even though they are losing, while my players who are told to close down stand by and watch.

My enjoyment of the game doesnt really come from results but in style of play, this ruins my possession game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2) Target the opposition midfielders with opposition specific instructions such as pressing, or even man mark them.

3) If you are outnumbered in central midfield, as a striker or wide man to man mark one of the midfielders concerned.

4) If you have a defensive midfielder, he may sit too deep and give them more space to do this. Push him into midfield or have him man mark one of them.

Cheers,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Paul, gonna have 1 more go with this game using your tips and also the time wasting one.

The main problem with 8.02 is playing away from home it is just too hard too play decent passing football unless you are Liverpool, Chelsea...

Also there is way too much accuracy in crosses.

Also the big problem is when your players are closing a player who is running to side they simply cant get in front of him. and they loose him.

Also the tackles should be more accurate because it is nonsense that two or more players are on one player (dot over dot) and they cant stop him

I find that in 8.02 it is too easy to win at home and nearly impossible to win away.

This should be fixed as soon as possible along with closing down and possession problem.

My advice to SI is take care of Match Engine first other problems comparing to these are jus minor problems.

P.S. Sorry for bad English I am not an English native speaker

One change that I'm not a fan of is the change in acceleration. I think it slightly degrades the pacier players to a point that the combined acceleration/pace stats are almost useless.

As a player who builds their attack around pace, I've really noticed the difference.

Onanother note, I have been encouraged by tackling. I don't think anyone ever won any (unless your defender stood still or spun round in a circle on the ball) before this patch, so that's an improvement.

It does feel overall more like a football match which is obviously another positive. Still far too many goals though. Can't seem to put my finger on it but my world class goalkeeper is a lot worse at sot stopping since the patch. Goals flying in from afar pretty often.

Noticed a few new messages appearing that I'd not seen before. That was a nice touch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

Cheers,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your advice PaulC.

I

Puting one of the strikers to man mark one of the central midfielder works like a charm. And your defensive midfielder to mark the other central midfielder. This is essential.

Also a high defensive line helps a lot.

Always tackle hard the central midfielders of opposing team.

Never use Time wasting to rarely, always use mixed.

I tested this with 8.0.1 beta and 8.0.2 and I never had any problems with posession and always dominated the midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by reo19uk:

When doing the editor so Defoe deal is now right and u save the database I have to fill in four options these are:-

Name:

Author:

Description:

Version:

Can anyone tell me what I put in these sections? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand it you can put whatever you like there.

For name I give it something you remember or that makes it stand out from the other databases. The rest you can leave blank if you want

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hi all..

i'm not going to moan about the patch cause i've had enough...i'll never play this version of patch...i'll play again if they'll release the next patch..if not..i'll play in nov or dec when fm09 come out... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you thought 8.0.1 was ok then just go back to that and play your old saves, thats what i have done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by endee26:

The whole game is no longer enjoyable as a game should be - no matter what tactic you employ, OI or whatever or what team you use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you elaborate?

Personally I feel that the game has gotten a little too complicated for it's own good - but that's a general theme across the genre rather than a criticism of FM08 in particular.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveRH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by endee26:

The whole game is no longer enjoyable as a game should be - no matter what tactic you employ, OI or whatever or what team you use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you elaborate?

Personally I feel that the game has gotten a little too complicated for it's own good - but that's a general theme across the genre rather than a criticism of FM08 in particular. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has got too complicated. But whilst I have waited and upgraded in the past and have played through from CM2 to this version (10 or 11 years I think) I am now certainly of the mind that I will never buy another SI Games product. This has been my worst experience of FM/CM

I for one was always (well most of the times) on SI's side but this really is ridicolous.

I am averaging just above 4 goals in total (me + opponent) per game this season.....there are way to many goals now.

I am really considering going back to 8.0.1 if only I could make my mind what is worse:

8.0.1......32 shoots on goal = zero to maybe one goal + one on one frustration

or

8.0.2......goals galore

If only there was 8.0.15...... icon_frown.gif

Just dowloaded 8.0.2 latest version and am really enjoying it. First time I have patched a game but I feel the match engine is far better. Have only done pre season and have seen a few posts about too many goals - just beat bradford 8-0 with liverpool,am waiting to if this continues into the game as this is abput all I have noticed - so far gets the thumbs up from me icon14.gif

I like 8.0.2, I'm not getting the "loads of goals" problem that everyone else seems to be moaning about. Apart from the initial slight errors, (Defoe and diarra thing, Turkish League mess up), I havn't seen any problems. And these errors have now been fixed.

And as for the aparent "stats" problem, I dont see the problem as everyone stats are more realistic and true to life. No longer is FM08 plagued by "super players" who couldn't be stopped, which was the case in the original game and patch 8.0.1.

Top work SI in my opinion. Super stuff.

No you just now get hammered by teams with totally inferior players instead.

A bit annoyed just now but maybe its cos my old tactic of selling nearly the whole squad for loads of money and replacing them with better players isnt working anymore. Always worked a treat on the other versions of Footy Manager, damn.

Also find that if I speed up the match highlights I lose goals by the bucketload, dunno whether this makes any difference or not, want to speed the highlights up so I get through the seasons quicker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EastStandArab:

No you just now get hammered by teams with totally inferior players instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps that is down to your tactics?

Funny that cos before the patch I was flying with the same tactics, long unbeaten runs, even won the SPL in the first season with a non-OF team and got Leeds up to the Premiership with 2 successive promotions in the first 2 seasons.

Cant win a match in the SPL with the new patch, was doing OK with Newcastle but then again they had £30 million to spend. Anyway off to read that link, Im sure it will help.

So, to sum up:

Too many goals are being scored

The right number of goals are being scored

Not enough goals are being scored

To me, that would suggest a certain proportion of people are tactically astute, a certain number are not. Every single problem mentioned has a tactical solution. Visit the T&T forum and you might just find it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EastStandArab:

Funny that cos before the patch I was flying with the same tactics, long unbeaten runs, even won the SPL in the first season with a non-OF team and got Leeds up to the Premiership with 2 successive promotions in the first 2 seasons.

Cant win a match in the SPL with the new patch, was doing OK with Newcastle but then again they had £30 million to spend. Anyway off to read that link, Im sure it will help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's not possible that teams catch on to what you do? I see....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of cause it wouldn't work as well as before the patch as there were changes to the match engine. Make some tweaks.

Terrible, just my opinion. Thinking of buying Championship Manager, cant be any worse than this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's actually not bad. Give it a go. Seriously you'll actually have fun. It's not that realistic and it has the odd bug, but you'll be having fun so you won't care. It'll put FM in perspective for you. I've had hours of fun with it and can heartily recommend it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveRH:

Personally I feel that the game has gotten a little too complicated for it's own good - but that's a general theme across the genre rather than a criticism of FM08 in particular. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on this one, I think football management, if it went the FM way, could suffer the same fate as combat flight sims. Remember when flight sims were cool? Great games from the old Microprose chaps such as F19 Stealth Fighter, F15 Strike Eagle II, etc. Then it all got a little too hard-core. It's not what most people want, but sadly forums tend to get full of chaps who resemble comic book guy from the simpsons too closely, and developers get a bit blinded by that. SI would do well to think of the combat flight sim, now only a niche market with a few hardcore fans obsessing like train spotters. There's no money in that SI, no money at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seagulls Forever:

forums tend to get full of chaps who resemble comic book guy from the simpsons too closely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha I couldn't help but LOL at that. Quite right you are though. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jablome:

Sorry for double.

I meant to add that there is at least one set piece goal per side every single game I have played since the patch. Usually, there are at least two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should this be a problem? Have you ever watched a real football game? Have you seen how many times players like Ronaldinho or Pirlo can score from a set piece?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seagulls Forever:

Terrible, just my opinion. Thinking of buying Championship Manager, cant be any worse than this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's actually not bad. Give it a go. Seriously you'll actually have fun. It's not that realistic and it has the odd bug, but you'll be having fun so you won't care. It'll put FM in perspective for you. I've had hours of fun with it and can heartily recommend it.

I agree with you on this one, I think football management, if it went the FM way, could suffer the same fate as combat flight sims. Remember when flight sims were cool? Great games from the old Microprose chaps such as F19 Stealth Fighter, F15 Strike Eagle II, etc. Then it all got a little too hard-core. It's not what most people want, but sadly forums tend to get full of chaps who resemble comic book guy from the simpsons too closely, and developers get a bit blinded by that. SI would do well to think of the combat flight sim, now only a niche market with a few hardcore fans obsessing like train spotters. There's no money in that SI, no money at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is football management is complex- especially the tactical side, thats why people like Ramos, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho etc get paid £6m per year.

Trouble is FM is complex for the wrong reasons- as SI have given us a tactical interface that is arguably harder to get right than doing the real thing. Its a massive barrier to a lot of peoples enjoyment- as we all will have ideas as to what we want to do, but half the time the "challenge" of the game is just working out how we achieve that through the interface.

I also think the players themselves (on the pitch) need to be a little more intelligent, it makes total sense to me that players may be forced into decisions (such as shooting from range) if they dont have good passing options, but imo too much emphasis is on us to micromanage or tweak the tactic to get players into position- sadly the tools arent up to making this easy, a shame we lost with/without ball as this (as would a real life whiteboard) was the best and most intuitive tactical tool we ever had.

So in the light of how hard it can be to get it just right, I really think SI need to make players be a bit more intelligent- they should know to give teammates options or come to the ball as such, yet it seems that if we forget or cant work out how to get them there then your tactic falls over.

Personally apart from a training ground sandpit where we could drill our tactics into our players and also see whether they work, and maybe how they work against different formations too, Id like to see more tactical teamtalks. So if a player is isolated I can tell my team quite simply (as a manager would irl) to give him some passing options and to support him.

With the match engine becoming more complex and realistic the tactical interface needs to grow and change with it and be less of a barrier between the users ideas and what goes on during a match.

Agree with you endee26

Before 8.0.2, i had got nuneaton up from bottom league (BSS) to div 2.

Finished 6th and 5th in div 2, steadily building up a good wages/transfer budget.

This season, having brought in some excellent players, my team is miles better than the team that finished 5th and 6th, but im languising in 20th !

Everything is the same (tactics etc), except the fact that im using the 8.0.2 patch, and im now NOT ENJOYING having all my hard work seemingly ruined by a patch.

My solid defence now leaks goals like a sieve, and im just fed up with all the set piece goals scored against me (penalties and free kicks galore)

Love the game, and so will give a it some more time, but have to say that ive thought of consigning it to the dustbin on several occassions this last 'post patch' week

to me 01 and 02 are uncompareable. 02 is by mile better. I'm amazed that half of people are claiming that it's too easy now and the other half that it's too hard.

well I find it much more realistic at least. I got feeling that I can use more my real life football knowledge. tacticly is miles better then 01. then you needed to tweak your tactics to suit ME (you know that slow/short stuff...) and now I feel I can play any football style and that the game won't penalise my for playing fast/direct I even managed to put 4 game clean sheet run icon_cool.gif

also I'm yet to notice long shots getting in too much, and high scoring matches. but I am using my own db, which is IMO far more realistic then official one. (but it took me more time to make it then I actually played this game).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

The thing is football management is complex- especially the tactical side, thats why people like Ramos, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho etc get paid £6m per year.

Trouble is FM is complex for the wrong reasons- as SI have given us a tactical interface that is arguably harder to get right than doing the real thing. Its a massive barrier to a lot of peoples enjoyment- as we all will have ideas as to what we want to do, but half the time the "challenge" of the game is just working out how we achieve that through the interface.

I also think the players themselves (on the pitch) need to be a little more intelligent, it makes total sense to me that players may be forced into decisions (such as shooting from range) if they dont have good passing options, but imo too much emphasis is on us to micromanage or tweak the tactic to get players into position- sadly the tools arent up to making this easy, a shame we lost with/without ball as this (as would a real life whiteboard) was the best and most intuitive tactical tool we ever had.

With the match engine becoming more complex and realistic the tactical interface needs to grow and change with it and be less of a barrier between the users ideas and what goes on during a match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a thing I can agree with, managing a football team isn't always easy. But it seems very difficult for some people to understand that when those great managers mentioned above are working hard and having the knowledge and skills needed, they have no FM UI or AI slowing them down or preventing them to get their message through. What goes wrong here is that people don't think the same way or comprehend things in the same way others do. There have been many things which I too haven't understood before reading some forums what they actually mean, and there are still things which I understand to be different what somebody else thinks. SAF or Arsene Wenger don't have a person which doesn't speak the same language to pass their thoughts for the team. Fabio Capello may have some learning in his English but still in Italian too there is a logic which has been approved together and the interpreter only translates. That logic which everyone could understand is lacking in FM. In some cases I really don't know what to say to FM for it to translate my thoughts correctly to my team. FM has some very nice ideas and ambition but the makers are really biting off more than they and the gamers can swallow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gerry58:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jablome:

Sorry for double.

I meant to add that there is at least one set piece goal per side every single game I have played since the patch. Usually, there are at least two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should this be a problem? Have you ever watched a real football game? Have you seen how many times players like Ronaldinho or Pirlo can score from a set piece? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love set piece goals, but every game? Okay, maybe. But more than one a game...every game? I don't think so. All three goals for me or the opposition in a game? Maybe in a rare moment, but really rare.

Also, some of my tactics have set pieces for attack/defend set differently. So, it I do not believe it is my set up defensively. Although, I do get a lot of goals, too.

Just pointing it out and certainly wouldn't tweak it much. Just a tiny bit.

Archived