Who still plays FM08?

Probably my biggest annoyance with FM over the years is the massive weighting club reputation is given for the level of PA given to academy players. Straightaway, because of the limiting factors of league reputation, teams like Ajax can not consistently produce high quality players. I would love to see clubs with 'state of the art youth facilities' given a premium level of PA players.

Agreed. For example, in my game, Brazil relied on an aging Rafael Forster until around 33 (and we all know how regens are horrible at around 30 in this game) - because they hadn't produced anyone to replace him! I'll take that into account, of course, although I do suspect league/country reputation does play a part. Ajax, for example, aren't churning out kid after kid at the moment unlike how they used to.

With the other things, I see you're thinking of a variable PA system, but i think that would be a bit risky, especially in trying to get realistic balanced levels. It could even make things too easy e.g. young player scores goals = guaranteed high potential.

I know it could be a minor problem. I think once (and if) I get the program running, I'll see if a PA boost is good enough without constant rerating. However, we do have to note that PA is judged on performances. However, I suppose players with high PAs develop faster (I believe they do) to make up for the CA/PA gap (although they don't develop fast enough in this game without a very narrow band of requirements - high Ambition and Professionalism, luck with injuries and first-team action from around 19 years of age, with world-class facilities).

And with regards to league reputation, it could potentially also be linked to league standard, as this does increase with continental success.

I'll take that into account. The danger is, of course, having all of Portugal boosted to epic proportions due to Porto winning the Champions League...

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's tempting, x, but tbh, I'd rather have 07. I disagree with you about D/WBR/L. Clichy and Evra may be the only top class full backs in the PL who would make good wing backs, but you've ignored the likes of Bale, Shorey and Emerton who are weak defensively but very comfortable on the ball, and even people like Baines, Cole, Bosingwa, Sagna?

That's tempting, x, but tbh, I'd rather have 07. I disagree with you about D/WBR/L. Clichy and Evra may be the only top class full backs in the PL who would make good wing backs, but you've ignored the likes of Bale, Shorey and Emerton who are weak defensively but very comfortable on the ball, and even people like Baines, Cole, Bosingwa, Sagna?

I don't see them as incredibly comfortable on the ball, like some wingers are - as in able to pick up the ball in an advanced position and beat a man like a winger. Gareth Bale perhaps, but he's simply Gareth Fail.

Well, Emerton is a winger shunted to full back so you'd hope he'd be comfortable on the ball! Shorey, certainly for Reading, was capable of beating a man high up the pitch, I don't know about at Villa though.

Still, that's 4 out of, say, 30.

I'm still playing '08 started with Braintree Town got promoted in my 2nd season then struggled in the Blue square Premier so went to Vollendam in Holland got them promoted into top division and kept them there for 2 seasons. Moved to Oxford Utd in league 2 got promoted in my first season then relegated in my 2nd promoted again in my 3rd season and promoted to the Championship in my 4th season via the play offs. Currently 6th in the championship half way through season but my top striker doesnt want to sign a new contract and is up for renewal in 6 months so might struggle next year.....

Absoulutely hooked on the game so havent bothered with '09

Well, Emerton is a winger shunted to full back so you'd hope he'd be comfortable on the ball! Shorey, certainly for Reading, was capable of beating a man high up the pitch, I don't know about at Villa though.

Still, that's 4 out of, say, 30.

I think Shorey has only ever played at full-back for Aston Villa, and in his final days at Reading.

Just that my game has churned out D/WB L/R players who couldn't beat a lamp post, and has churned out pure D L/R players who could look very good on the wing - making me think D/WB L/R is too common.

I suppose the "pure" wing-backs arrive in the game as the odd WB/AM L/R combination, or even the (very rare) solely WB L/R, which I've found once or twice.

• 1 month later...

I am still playing 08. (WWSM)

My longest career so far was with Crystal Palace. I've also had careers with Stade Reims, Pro Vercelli, and a Ukrainian team. Currently playing in Brazil, in the 3rd division.

I tend to play with a lot of countries fully loaded - 75 or more, but not a lot of leagues.

I'm back on FM08 simply because it runs so smoothly on my laptop.

FM09 uninstalled a few months back.

Decided to fire up FM08 yesterday. Started a career game with leagues from England, Scotland, Wales, Italy and Brazil loaded. Went on holiday for two years in order to shake things up a little bit. This journeyman game will probably keep me going for quite a while.

FM08 is a great version of the game. Quick, responsive and accessible. I haven't found myself particularly missing any of the new features of FM09.

C.

I'm back on FM08 simply because it runs so smoothly on my laptop.

FM09 uninstalled a few months back.

Decided to fire up FM08 yesterday. Started a career game with leagues from England, Scotland, Wales, Italy and Brazil loaded. Went on holiday for two years in order to shake things up a little bit. This journeyman game will probably keep me going for quite a while.

FM08 is a great version of the game. Quick, responsive and accessible. I haven't found myself particularly missing any of the new features of FM09.

C.

What!?! You mean you don't miss the repetitive press conferences, Crouchy? Surely not......:p

Is there a lot of people still playing FM08? I could not for the life of me get stuck into FM09. I tried numerous times and although the new look match engine is impressive and regens physical stats better (although I must admit the further I get into FM08 season wise it does get better) I still find myself going back to FM08 because it feels more use friendly. I have to say I didn't like that some PPM's were removed as they personified some players and it was nice to have tutorship mean something. Also I saw they'd re-done the whole first teamers playing for reserves which seemed over complicated.

So who still plays FM08? Maybe if there is enough people we could make this some sort of official FM08 thread :)

I still play FM08 because I find it simply a better simulation then 09. I am managing Liverpool {who I've already won the Premier League Title with in my first season. I am into my second season with the Reds now and we are in 2nd Position right now and in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

I'm still playing 08. Sort of scared of buying 09 in case it completly ****s up my laptop.

Check out the FM08:Official Man City thread to see how I do with them.

Yeah, I know what you mean. 09 is just too unstable. I don't miss the new features of 09 at all. O8 is a lot smoother, and runs on my desktop without a hitch.

Yeah, I know what you mean. 09 is just too unstable. I don't miss the new features of 09 at all. O8 is a lot smoother, and runs on my desktop without a hitch.

Having played a few very short saves on my mates laptop the 3D match engine seems a bit robotic. Also the press conferences seem even more repetitive and every game I've been linked to a player who I have absolutley no intention of signing. :thdn:

Having played a few very short saves on my mates laptop the 3D match engine seems a bit robotic. Also the press conferences seem even more repetitive and every game I've been linked to a player who I have absolutley no intention of signing. :thdn:

Ah, but isn't that like real life anyway? I mean, a manager could be linked with this player or that player, yet has no intention whatsoever in signing him. As in real life, rumours abound in Football Manager 08. I have no problem with that as it replicates real life. If you are talking about FM09 with the match engine being 'robotic' I found this to be true also. There are just too many bugs in FM09, so I will stick with my FM08, which is a lot more user friendly and classier. I would not waste my money on FM09 as I had nothing but trouble with it. Took it back, and got my money back.

I'm stil on '05 - I couldn't get into '08 - probably because i'm too sucked into my savegame there...

I'll probably give it another go when this one dies...

Hey nick I've read about your 05 save a few times just wondering what year are you up to? What leagues do you have running? Who have you managed? Can we see some screenshots of the past winners/current tables etc somewhere? Is there a thread already devoted to it?

Thanks

The match engine in FM08 is absolutely bizarre, though.

Like if you get a free-kick near the centre-circle, it is guaranteed to go directly out of play for a goal-kick even if you have Beckham taking it.

Or if you get a throw-in near your opponent's byline and your mentality is over 15 or something, your player is guaranteed to throw it out of play for a goal-kick - no exceptions.

Or if you get a free-kick on the edge of the area, John Terry will turn into David Beckham and collect the pass before slamming it into the net.

The thing that killed FM08 in the long run for me was the fact that players on part-time or amateur contracts would lose CA points, which made playing in smaller leagues rather pointless.

No it doesn't! :confused:

I remember one youth player in particular that I had at St. Albans who improved immensely when I was part-time and ended up moving to a League Two side. Lawrence Shaw, I think his name was, and he was the best regen I ever had on FM08.

Players progress perfectly well as long as they have plenty of game time. Obviously they get better quicker on full-time training though.

C.

Yeah, it does. I ran some actual tests and in 90% of cases players would lose CA points seemingly without reason. I even made a thread in the bug forum and one of the SI guys basically confirmed that it indeed was the case.

Here's the thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=7103

but if you can prove me wrong, I'll happily go back to FM 08 where I can run more than a single league and still get acceptable processing speed ;)

endtime - I didn't know that. I haven't noticed anything in any of my games.

Strange because I remember one of my players in particular improving dramatically through regular football on a part-time contract. Is it possible that this only affects AI teams?

Anyway, it won't have too much of an effect on my game because I try to get out of non-League as quickly as I can and then go full-time professional! :D

C.

I'm still loving FM08 and FM09 is on my shelf with a thick coating of dust. I had a cracking game going with Preston: first season I capitulated and missed out on the play-offs on the final day. Second season, new chairman, the threat of Leroy Rosenior coming in, I was told to win the league to keep my job. Limped in in sixth, won the play-offs and kept my job. 5 years of near misses in the Premier League, I jacked it in for the Northern Ireland job, while Steve Coppell replaced me and rescued Steve Sidwell from Man Utd reserves and made him the focus of the PNE team.

Currently in 2018 with Barrow having won two consecutive Premier League titles, and we're only 16/1 to retain the European Cup. Have turned down all the big clubs, but we seem to battle Tony Adams' Arsenal for everything: we won the League Cup and European Cup from them this season. I'm expected to challenge for the title and make both cup finals.

The only thing that irritates me is that Adams rakes in 205,000 a week compared to my 65,000.

I was just thinking how many season i've done overall on FM08 so far and what year i would be in if i had done them all at the same team. Here is a list of my teams and season:

Dinamo Minsk - 12

Ajax - 7

Cray Wanderers - 5

Hibernian - 5

Red Star Belgrade - 3

Other - 2

Total - 34

So that would put me around the 2041/42 season. I wouldn't even want to know how much time i've spent playing this game :D

How many total seasons on FM08 has everyone else done?

How did you get to manage Cray? How far did you get them?

lotta is not a real word

The gayest user name ever on a football manager related forum. FACT.

I agree with the sentiment though - there is some shocking grammar on these boards. Moderators need to educate more.

How did you get to manage Cray? How far did you get them?

I used the editor to stick them in the Conference South. Iirc i had just got them promoted to League 2 when i lost interest in the game. I still have the save so maybe one day i'll carry it on and turn them into the world beaters they deserve to be!

Good work. Next year, when FM gets the Ryman League (as it should do), I'll take the Wands to the top. Shame you didn't have my database for Cray, I've fixed the squad to have all players and staff updated (although I've still got Beveney and Dolby in it for some reason).

• 1 month later...

I am still playing 08. I bought FM09 but the problems were just too many with that game. It was over-complicated, there were too many bugs in the game, and it was not user friendly at all. So, I went back to FM08, much much better. I am playing as Liverpool, {just done the Double of FA Cup and Champions League} Also finished in Runners Up spot in the Barclays Premier League {missing out on the title by one point, to Arsenal. How frustrating is that? Could have achieved a Treble.} Anyway, I love FM08, as I said it is much much better and much more user-friendly too. Yes, the media part can be a bit repetitive but I overlook that. Underneath that is a brilliant game. With FM09, they have gone too far, over-complicated it when all they needed to do was to keep it simple and more easier to move around in.

I'm still playing 08 and it's likely that this will be the last version I own. Works fine for me and runs great. Could do with improved interaction, but I choose to ignore it most of the time.

This last sunday I spent several hours updating the database so that all the leagues teams are as of this season; right down to the lower leagues (Isthmian level). Was quite interesting to see just how much has changed.

I'm currently working on updating the players and managers into the right teams, but this is going to take me a while. I'm also tweaking the levels of certain players to be more accurate to their ability today. First off I'm going to have to increase Franny Jeffers aggession to 20 and decrease his finishing to 1.

It's very tempting to change Wednesday into a cash rich superclub, full of god like players (granted, this is about as far from reality as you can get).

Glad to see I'm not the only one still playing this.

• 4 months later...

Decided to revive this thread for all FM08 lovers. After a couple of months of FM10 I've decided that FM08 is the version for me. I am definately hoping patch 10.3 will prove me wrong but so far I've been a little disappointed with FM10. So... Loaded it back in so now deciding wh to play as. Probably the mighty Liverpool as usual :D

i love 08, to me it's the greatest FM game ever! I've got a great career as Liverpool along with stints at a few nations.

Been at Liverpool since I fired it up, and have won the EPL each season (even going quite a few years without a loss until Newcastle ended my run at about 250 games).

Got the national job at Czech Rep but couldn't get them to play the way I wanted and crashed out of the WC in the group stages, so I resigned and Italy came knocking, I had a great time, winning the Euro, Confed Cup, & WC beating Spain in all 3 finals, I felt so sorry for Spain that I resigned from Italy after the WC and took the vacant Spain job, have won all 3 with the Spanish team now, and planned on leaving them, but since I have promoted 6 of my players to the Spanish starting 11 (only 2 of them actually born in Spain) I just can't walk away!

As it's getting a bit boring winning each season (but not being able to let anyone else managed by beloved Reds) I've set up another manager, he's been at 5 clubs in 3 years! Currently plying his trade at Oldham, saved them from relegation in League 2 last season and now heading towards his first ever promotion!

I've always used a self-created 4-2-1-2-1 formation, with a flat 4 at the back, 2 DMs who come forward when we have the ball, a creative CM who generally tops the assists column, 1 AMR & 1 AML who are always great a crossing and have a hell of a hit, and 1 ST who is basically a poacher. I found Andy Carroll ($10M from Blackburn) to be the best in my formation, hitting over 200 goals. Salvatore Foti ($12M Sampdoria) was also brilliant, especially when I managed Italy, banging in 37 goals in 34 appearances, then dropped when I left! Right now I've got a kid called Kohler, a regen from Germany, already nearing 100 goals and only in his 3rd season.

Think I might stop my FM10 game (on my edited db with all Middle Eastern leagues) and go back to my FM08 save tonight!

Agreed on everything mate! Sydney FC forever, 08 is the best and I've got a career as Liverpool. Just played United twice away in a row, lost 3-1 to them in the league cup, then beat them 1-0 in the EPL. There first loss in 16 games this season.

I just couldn't get into 09 after loving 08, mostly because the processing in 09 took so long. However, I have to say, FM2010 is superb, easily just as good as 08, and we haven't even got the last patch yet.

I'd highly recommend picking up FM2010 if you loved 08 but had problems with 09.

I still play 2008 alot of the time, when I am not playing FM10, then it is always 2008, I never liked 2009. Had a great game before last week. into 16th season with Charlton, richest club in the world, won Champions League 3 years running, Premier League 7 running, all before a virus destroyed my computer :(

Archived