Who still plays FM08?

I think you'll find the word your looking for is Obnoxious.If your gonna get into a slagging match with the master you might as well learn how to spell.

Like the moderator said.. Pack it in.

And if you're going to moan about people spelling things wrong.. Please make sure you know the difference between 'your' and you're'.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread was going so nicely until 'the man' aka 'the master' (:D) started trying to be clever.

What tactics are you guys using? Im playing with Rushden. 1st Season. Brought in 12 new players and kept only 3 players from original squad.

Played 7 and won 7 so far - using Crouchaldinho's 'SIMPLICITY - How to make a solid & simple 442' tactics - Balanced, Defend and Attack.

All good so far - however last two games, ive won 3-2 and 4-2 but as you can see in the last 2 games, I am conceding a few goals.

The Kimz tactics are pretty awesome if not a bit unrealistic. But i don't really care for tactical management so i'll happily use them :D

Ran into a bug. :( Apparently, the game appears to have inflated everything related to my team by 45% - player values, salaries, balance, wage budget...

It's no big deal as it has inflated everything, but it's awful - even I modify my finances in FMM/FMRTE, it inflates them by 45% too!

It's really weird as now my promising winger/striker is now asking for 98,000 pounds per week (around 67,500 pounds per week in fact) and my top earner gets a whopping 165,000 pounds per week (around 115,000 pounds per week in reality).

Bit worried how this will impact bids and such. :(

Also, I agreed a transfer for 40 million pounds over 24 months (before price inflation) for a promising youngster, a former trainee of mine, with the knowledge that I'd only pay 60% thanks to a sell-on clause. It never happened. Just tossed around 20 million pounds down the drain... :(

I've experienced this bug a couple of times on FM08, though for me it was always sorted by saving/quiting/reloading.

I've experienced this bug a couple of times on FM08, though for me it was always sorted by saving/quiting/reloading.

Cheers mate, I'll give it a spin.

Or maybe not, as Manchester United might be relegated if I keep playing... Something like 34 games played, and they're 19th with like 3 points from safety... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Still playing.

I actually think regens were OK in this game as long as you load enough nations (not leagues) - except, of course, the jumping problems of centre-backs. At the moment, a quick Genie Scout tells me that there aren't many players with CA above 190 and most that are are actually goalkeepers! And those that did reach that level were because they were fairly ambitious and fairly professional, reflecting what I think is real life. I haven't played FM09 but to be honest, if they improved regens for FM09, I think that was overkill!

For example, my second-choice left-back is 162/165 and very loyal, and he does a brilliant job. My first-choice right-back is at the moment 162/175 or something, but at his prime was not a pure one-footer but had incredible attribute distribution - easily the best right-back in the world. I suppose that's looking at attributes, not CA...

Oh, it worked. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed 08 the other day, got a great pompey save going, was unbeaten in my first 14 games:D

Then my laptop crashed, so i loaded up as quick as i could only to find "The save game could not be loaded" :(

Want to start another save, but if I start another pompey save, i will only long for my old save.

Might start with another Prem Team, any suggestions? Not the Big four, and not relegation candidates.

I still play and am loving the History within the game although it takes some getting use to when Arsenal keep getting relegated hehe.

In my first season when FM08 came out I got Forest promoted to the Championship via the Play Offs in my first season. With the final in injury time I was losing and then had a free kick on the edge of the area...then my right back equalised! Managed to win the game on Penalties!

Then I was given a nice windfall of 4m but then brought loads of players which upset the balance somewhat and struggled. However the seeds were sown and the following season I was looking good for automatic promotion but then I didn't even make the play offs :( Season later and I was struggling like I did in my first season. Unable to contemplate another struggling season I resign, with the belief I'll get anohter job at a similar club - but couldn't get one to save my life!

I had to go on a manager holiday for a few seasons and then it was plucky old Barnet who gave me my second chance as it were. However after finding two cracking midfielders I just couldnt stomach their manky kit and so left and once more stepped into the wilderness.

So it was to Barnsley who were bottom of League 2 and about to enter non-league oblivion and had this happened I would have been sacked (havent got the conference loaded) and would probably have had to re-start. However I managed to stay up on the last game of the season - a game where the term 'squeaky bum time' was made for.

Got Barnsley galvanised and made it to League 1 with them and then went to Swindon who in turn I got to the Championship. By this time I got some good regens whom I remained loyal too - especially one particular centre forward whom the AI would put in the reserves but he always did the business for me.

After years of struggling at small clubs on low gates, Everton asked for my services after their relegation into the Champship and after never really convincing during my first full season I managed to win the play off final 3-2 and after about 20 years in the game, I made it to the Premier League!

Stayed up in my first season and a plucky left back who I chucked into the deep end from the youth team went to Watford for £16m and a defensive midfielder who I signed for about £5m as a Premier League treat was sold to Napoli for £16.5m. Which brings me bang up to date - in my second season in the Premier League and once again survival is the target, although due to selling those players I now have a healthy bank balance of £10M and for the first time since i'v been here the club hasnt been fighting to get out the red...only to then go into debt during the close season.

Perhaps it's with this stability and good crowds that I'v been targeted for a take over...a consortium are currently mulling over whether to take the plunge and if they'r successfull perhaps it will signal the beginning of the 'European years' of my FM managerial existence!

UPDATE

I originally wrote the above on another forum and low and behold, Everton were taken over and I was sacked! Couldn't believe it and absolutely gutted that all my hard work had gone. To be honest i felt like giving up as a game is surely meant to be fun? Not to kick you in the balls like this? Anyway I went back to it and got the Spurs job who were in the Championship but unlike Everton didn't seem to have crippling financial problems despite having players on 90k. But after 1 game I resigned. I just couldnt hack another season out of the limelight - limelight I had took ages to attain. So I bided my time, declared my interest for teams who were having dalliances with poor form and although I looked likely to get the Liverpool job - a job which would have been all the sweeter given my treatment at Everton - I eventually had a job offer from Roma! They were 12th in the league and I'v been given a target of winning Seria A by my second season. After topping it up with spanking badge graphics and italian backgrounds it new feels like I'm managing in a different country lol and I'm loving it.

Great work! Although you do seem to be changing clubs faster than Robbie Keane.

Takeovers are a little irritating, true - me, having made Triestina the best club in the world, had a takeover and suddenly my position was insecure as he was looking to replace me. Hm... And that takeover lasted the whole transfer window, meaning I missed out on 2 really important transfer targets. :(

I just finished my first season at Rapid Wien. Anybody ever been to Austria? I've had a run of 20 games unbeaten, but still Red Bull Salzburg finished like 9 points ahead of me. Lost two games in this season, one against me. Is it possible to play catch-up here? They've got about three times the money of all the other clubs in the competition. This is gonna be hard. I've grown to love my Steffen Hofmann though, decent enough player who once was playing at mon Bayern, BayernII that is. Playing him as an AMC. He's also my playmaker and my team usually looks very meh when he's out injured.

i still play FM 08 and i have started a new game,now im in season 2016/2017 and it is going realy good...dunno have dropped to ask if i can start finally a new FM 09 game but most of ur comments guys through many threads aint encouraging at all

I suppose we can make this THE Football Manager 2008 thread?

And on that note, I'm just fed up of Adam Pearson in general, is there any way I can make him go from 'will never leave the club he loves' to something other, like 'will accept anything close to £1'?

If you don't mind an editor, you can make his age "very old" and he'll try and sell up in a few months.

It's funny you should say that, I added an extra 30 years already.

Perhaps that's not enough.

Well, I made my chairman 88 years old and he sold up quick enough once.

If it's not enough, you can also make him hate your club via FMM and Relations.

07 was a better game than 08 IMO, for assorted reasons that I've repeated enough times. However, I think I prefer 09 to 08. That's mainly down to regens and confidence being fixed.

What if there were a program, akin to an editor, which fixed regens?

Probably can't fix confidence, though.

I wouldn't want to do that tbh. If I edited the players with, say, 140 PA to 185 PA, then I'd know who the best youngsters were.

Nah, not that sort.

I'm thinking of doing a program over the summer which essentially redoes all the Jumping attributes for the players and does a few CA/PA tweaks - you run it every time a new batch of regens comes through and it will only fix the new ones.

Nah, not that sort.

I'm thinking of doing a program over the summer which essentially redoes all the Jumping attributes for the players and does a few CA/PA tweaks - you run it every time a new batch of regens comes through and it will only fix the new ones.

Sounds interesting. Would be nice to see Wonderkids again, they're pretty much extinct in this version. Would be alot of work to get something like that made though?

I recently took a couple of weeks away from FM completely.

Then I went back to 08 and completed a season in Sweden with a lower league club. Ah, the experience was so smooth and responsive and enjoyable compared to 09.

Anyway, I recently came back to 09 and... harumph... :(

Let's just say I can see why some of you haven't left 08.

I think it might be time for another break away from FM. :(

C.

Sounds interesting. Would be nice to see Wonderkids again, they're pretty much extinct in this version. Would be alot of work to get something like that made though?

I don't know. I do have various tools and stuff, and a copy of FMM which will obviously help things.

I think regens were alright in this version as long as you loaded enough countries (not leagues) - just that their CAs were far too low for them to reach CA 180+ consistently - but I suppose everyone has their own idea on what is good. Maybe I'll allow you to customise things too - want everyone to be CA 190+? Go ahead...

Some of the things I'm thinking of doing:

~ Regen CAs boosted by around 10% across the board - usually meaning a CA boost of around 7-9 for Premiership teams and 2-4 for Blue Square sides (might need a bit of tinkering) - which does help things a lot.

~ Regen PAs boosted - if you are a Blue Square North/South side, you are guaranteed to not get a youngster into your first-team because their PAs are far too low. Thinking of around 100% for Blue Square North/South sides (yes, it's that bad - PAs at that level are around 40-50 if you are lucky, while first-teamers have around 60-80). PAs will be less dependent on the facilities of the club and reputation, meaning more hidden gems will appear at lower leagues who appear through by virtue of first-team action. That said, at Premiership level, for CA, there isn't much of a problem (except you get the occasional youngster who's not good enough to even make it at Blue Square Premier level, which is a bit weird).

~ Regen PAs made more random - related to above, but the range of PAs for lower-league teams is rather poor. I need more data, but I'm guessing there are some Blue Square North/South youngsters who eventually make it into, say, League Two - which is impossible on this game.

~ Jumping and other physical attributes redistributed - so a fierce centre-back who can't beat Aaron Lennon in the air will be much rarer.

~ Various other tweaks I've found would be nice - for example, 15-year-olds centre-backs with Corner taking 17 (just happened to me - edited that one out because he was taking all the corners!); AM Cs who aren't AM L or AM R with poor Crossing (which is odd as they make decent set-piece takers and are not always poor wide players unless one-dimensional like van der Vaart); reduce Long Throws for players who average 10 everywhere else...

~ Randomise retired players as staffs' PAs much more - most retired players come back with PA 130, which is very weird (possibly an oversight on SI's behalf).

~ More random two-footers - I need data, of course, but I only ever see weak foot 18-20 or weak foot 3-9 - nothing in-between.

~ More random PPMs assigned to players.

~ Players, especially young ones (who are more sociable), make friends more readily. So, for example, your youngsters will not only have favoured personnel with your staff and possibly you, but their fellow peers as well. They may also have some idols or role models - so, for example, a new youngster might find Wayne Rooney a very admirable player (Wayne Rooney favoured personnel 100) and perhaps his positions, PPMs and attributes will reflect that.

~ Regens will have "club personalities" - i.e. you may find more Manchester United players coming through who dislike Liverpool and Manchester City (unlike most regens who have no problems moving to their rivals if a fee can be agreed).

~ Regens will have positions corresponding to the positions you have in your team. For example, wing-backs are rare in a lot of formations so wing-backs will be very rare - the program will probably give them accomplished wing or full-back roles to reflect the fact that they've had to adapt.

~ Less D/WB L or D/WB R - there are so few wing-backs left in the world, it makes little sense to have them. In fact, in the Premiership, I think only Clichy and Evra are capable of playing as wing-backs because they are the only two full-backs who are very comfortable on the ball like wingers.

~ Minimum attendances increase over time. For example, my Triestina team, now the best in the world, had a minimum attendence of 4000 or something, which meant my average attendances struggled (nearly 10,000 seats not filled for some Serie A teams, for example). I've boosted it to 75,000 (capacity 88,793) and I'm getting more realistic attendances.

~ Random second nationalities (or third nationalities) to players. For example, the odd Brazilian has European roots (Rafael Forster, the da Silva twins, ...). Some players have dual European nationalities or odd roots in faraway countries (like the United States). Think the de Guzman brothers, Owen Hargreaves, Giuseppe Rossi, ...).

Then there's stuff which I think will be much harder, but I'd like to put in (come to think about it, FM09 could do with some of these too...):

~ The ability to "fix" regens every year just like how the researchers do things. So, for example, if your young striker, 80/110, scores 100 goals in the Under-18s, then the program will spot that and boost his CA to, say, 165 (at random, of course) to reflect the fact that he's not a duffer after all. Conversely, a youngster who is 80/180 who averages 5.00 might get dropped. I don't want to do dramatic drops because the PAs are poor enough in this game. But it will prevent teams from signing high PA players who will never reach their PAs (but they are signed anyway and are very popular because their PAs are high) - because if they don't play well, their PA will get chipped away.

~ Regen reputations tweaked - although I suppose I have to be careful with this. It basically knocks down regen reputations so they can find loan clubs, especially if they've been inflated because you've given them an extended run in your first-team due to injuries, say.

~ Compatibility with WWSM! Something I'd like to try and achieve, even if I have to grab a copy of WWSM myself. It must be horrible to be a WWSM player who'd like to edit things but is frustrated at the lack of utilities.

~ League reputation variances - I'm sure some of you who frequent the forums or play in poor leagues will realise that winning the Champions League is guaranteed to unsettle every single one of your players as league reputation is not variable. That said, none of the editors have managed to edit league reputation because it's not something that's easy to test. If I could, say, edit the league reputations to reflect the UEFA coefficients, then long-term games will become possible.

I am tempted to update the Saints squad with 09 data and have a go with them on 08.

It's just strange going back to 08 knowing that there is a new FM there for me to play. However, I find FM09 so frustrating in a number of different ways. It's difficult to explain exactly why but I've tried and tried but not had that magic feeling that I usually get with FM. :(

C.

I am tempted to update the Saints squad with 09 data and have a go with them on 08.

It's just strange going back to 08 knowing that there is a new FM there for me to play. However, I find FM09 so frustrating in a number of different ways. It's difficult to explain exactly why but I've tried and tried but not had that magic feeling that I usually get with FM. :(

C.

I never got into 09 simply because my computer could't handle it. But i know from experience that once i play a newer version, i can't go back because i will miss the new features i've got used to. I am starting to wonder myself what the next FM version i will play will be as there is little chance i will have a new computer soon. Strange, as i've always bought the new CM/FMs since CM2 days but it may all be coming to an unexpected end :(

I never got into 09 simply because my computer could't handle it. But i know from experience that once i play a newer version, i can't go back because i will miss the new features i've got used to. I am starting to wonder myself what the next FM version i will play will be as there is little chance i will have a new computer soon. Strange, as i've always bought the new CM/FMs since CM2 days but it may all be coming to an unexpected end :(

I know what you mean small Mac.

From my point of view, my failure to get into FM09 is pretty sad. I've been addicted to all of the games since CM2 just like you.

FM07, I had a huge save, my biggest ever. FM08, slightly smaller, but it was still a huge game. FM09 though, I've only managed around 4 or 5 seasons. I think that says a lot about my experience with the new game.

I'm starting to wonder if I have perhaps grown out of FM? I've been an addict for so long and it feels strange not to be really into 09.

Anyway, time for a break from the game I think.

C.

x42bn6 - A programme like that would be fantastic. I think you've covered all the issues i have with newgens in the game.

Probably my biggest annoyance with FM over the years is the massive weighting club reputation is given for the level of PA given to academy players. Straightaway, because of the limiting factors of league reputation, teams like Ajax can not consistently produce high quality players. I would love to see clubs with 'state of the art youth facilities' given a premium level of PA players.

With the other things, I see you're thinking of a variable PA system, but i think that would be a bit risky, especially in trying to get realistic balanced levels. It could even make things too easy e.g. young player scores goals = guaranteed high potential.

And with regards to league reputation, it could potentially also be linked to league standard, as this does increase with continental success.

Archived