Why are goalkeepers so crap? (mine offcours, not the AI)

I'm 2.5seasons far and im close to looking for a 4th first choice goalkeeper. I hoped i finally had settled on someone with this guy. He looked pretty good. 15 handling, reflexes and kicking (great as we play with a 1m92 TF). 14 anticipation and positioning, 15 decisions. Ok 12 concentration isnt worldclass, but its above average for the league

Just like his 3 predecessors, he's been terrible. Concedes a goal a game. Makes a clear mistake (as in the game acknowledges it was an error in the commentary and you can mention it in your postmatch team talk) every 2 matches. With 15 decisions!

Personally i think the game just makes your goalie **** and buffs the AI goalie to artificially inflate the difficulty, but im glad to be proven wrong.

20230311153829_1.jpg

15 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

well i probably should have put an /s behind that comment, but at the moment its the only explanation i have

Tactical setup, opponent tactics, player quality, form, etc, Could be a myriad of issues.

Looking at your screenshot, the goalkeeper has 29 conceded in 26 league matches with an average rating of 6.96. Doesn't look that bad to me?

11 minutes ago, CAFCL1 said:

i am sorry disagree with that, some of the AI keepers are like Superman saves any think fired at him your keeper players get 1 chance and scores.

Allow me to link to what SI have said about superkeepers and scripted ME:

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

Tactical setup, opponent tactics, player quality, form, etc, Could be a myriad of issues.

Looking at your screenshot, the goalkeeper has 29 conceded in 26 league matches with an average rating of 6.96. Doesn't look that bad to me?

1.2 goal against a game for all competitions? yeah thats bad

Also would love to know which tactical setup or opposition instruction makes him force a mistake every 2 games

Just now, eXistenZ said:

1.2 goal against a game for all competitions? yeah thats bad

Also would love to know which tactical setup or opposition instruction makes him force a mistake every 2 games

Is it? Depends on the the quality of your team vs the opponents. You are a Belgian team, and I have no idea how well they stack up against the others....

Well, if you make him a SK-A for example, he is more likely to run out and do strange things compared to a G-D. Also, if your tactic lets the opponents have big chances all the time, no matter how well he plays he will concede a lot. How does your xG table look? Are you conceding a lot over your expected goals against?

I made him a standard goalkeeper defend, and to even boost his ratings i stopped distributing to TF and am now distributing to CB/FB. Again, hasnt stopped him from making a mistake every 2 games. To iriterate, thats actually the game saying he makes mistakes, not me.

As for expected saves percentage, he is 15 out of 18th in the league. He has the lowest average rating from all my starters. Also has the lowest average rating from all goalies of the 5 teams aroundme, while being of a similar level (aside from mignolet, which is to be expected)

As for expected goals against as a team, we're around themiddle, its because we are overscoring that im performing. not thanks to him. And this is the 3rd keeper that is fluking regulary. I doubt anything from this tactic stands out as leaving my goalkeeper to dry.

20230311183511_1.jpg

The commentary saying it's mistakes isn't very informative, as the game pretty much always says it when a keeper concedes at his near post irrespective of how good the finish is, and the game also wrongly blames keepers' decisions to come for the ball pretty much every time he rushes off his line to try to make a one on one save (often because the defence has made a mistake)

Judging by a 6.96 average rating, he doesn't actually make many mistakes the game records as mistakes (which themselves don't correspond very well to actual mistakes)

An Agility of 8 is a pretty big deficiency in a keeper too

52 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The commentary saying it's mistakes isn't very informative, as the game pretty much always says it when a keeper concedes at his near post irrespective of how good the finish is, and the game also wrongly blames keepers' decisions to come for the ball pretty much every time he rushes off his line to try to make a one on one save (often because the defence has made a mistake)

Judging by a 6.96 average rating, he doesn't actually make many mistakes the game records as mistakes (which themselves don't correspond very well to actual mistakes)

An Agility of 8 is a pretty big deficiency in a keeper too

disagree. If the defender misses the interception, it will clearly state that. He always has the lowest rating when playing badly. You dont get a 6.2 because your defence was bad. I've seen AI goalies concede 4-5 goals and still have a 6.7

Conceded 5 goals from 7 shots on target from nr14 in the league. Guess my youth GK plays the remainder of the season while i scout for nr4 in 3 years....

Edited by eXistenZ

4 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

disagree. If the defender misses the interception, it will clearly state that. He always has the lowest rating when playing badly. You dont get a 6.2 because your defence was bad. I've seen AI goalies concede 4-5 goals and still have a 6.7

The fact that it will occasionally blame a defender for missing the interception is irrelevant to the fact the commentary invariably criticises goalkeepers for coming off their line even when it's the normal thing to do and the situation massively favours the attacker scoring regardless.

His average is 6.96. This is above average for goalkeepers. If he's really solely responsible for your defeat in half your games, he must be excellent in the other ones...

9 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The fact that it will occasionally blame a defender for missing the interception is irrelevant to the fact the commentary invariably criticises goalkeepers for coming off their line even when it's the normal thing to do and the situation massively favours the attacker scoring regardless.

His average is 6.96. This is above average for goalkeepers. If he's really solely responsible for your defeat in half your games, he must be excellent in the other ones...

I dont look at the commentary. i look at the ratings. they are the worst by 0.25 of any of my starting 11. His expected saves are down the drain (see above). Ive had other careers where goalies averaged 7.20 or 7.30.

The only reason his average isnt lower is because if you win 4-0 the goalie gets an automatic 7 or more evenif he didnt have to do anything

The goalkeepers usually have the worst rating of anyone in the starting 11. Though they also usually are lower than 6.96...

I've no idea why you're convinced that there's some massive flaw in the goalkeeping logic (which apparently applies only to your goalkeeper! and has nothing to do with his glaring lack of agility!) but the ratings (the shonkiest bit of the whole ME) are flawless indications of what went wrong. Apart from everyone else's goalkeepers with average ratings lower than 6.96, of course....

Well, my 2 Cent.

When i look at the GK he has weak Agility, low Punching and high Rushing Out - in my experience GKs with a weak agility only fare good if they excell on the Mental and Goalkeeping side and FM23 is especially more cruel to GKs and i have not found a working GK with low Agility at all.

Rushing Out seems to me a Sweeper Keeper thing while Punching...all good GKs i see have high value Punching.

Area of Command seem to be average but a topclass GK would have a better one - in the top leagues all necessary attributes need to be at least 12.

If he is inconsistent, i can see that, you will suffer and suffer and suffer matche were he loses you the game alone...consistency is a must for a GK.

Also he will make more errors the less you allow him to make good decisions by deliberately force him to play the ball to a certain limited choice of players.

Also, the GK is depending on all the payers in front of him, if they abandon him in his efforts to make saves and catches and play out of the def you court disaster.

If all GKs you ever had play below the expectations it seems either the matrix of attributes that drives the choice for having a certain player under contract is missing a key element or the tactic may epxose that certain player or he is as i say again abandoned by the Team.

To me it looks he has some weknesses although the avg rating is not that bad but in the end i myself experienced losses based on the GK that had rather avg ratings but changing the GK turned the tide for me and my team startet to win getting more confidence and moral and win more while the other GK would have rating compared to the old one like 6,9 vs 7,1...which seems not to be a big difference but in term of results it was!

I chose my GKs for having high agility, high reflexes, decisionmaking, aerial ability and albeit i play a SK i usually chose GKs with a high punching over GKs with a low punching and rushing out is a nonsensical attribute at best, low Handling is a thing that gifts Goals away if to low.

Concentration at least for me could stay surprisingly low like 8 and i have not witnessed negative results from it.

Anticipation and Aggression seem to be almost irrelevant and so is speed.

In the end FM23 is more critical than every other FM in regard to player attributes and traits!

Edited by Etebaer

6 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Just like his 3 predecessors, he's been terrible. Concedes a goal a game.

If you have tried that many keepers in 2.5 seasons, this should tell you it’s extremely unlikely that your issue is personnel related.

I’d also suggest that if you’re reading commentary and looking at ratings it might be an idea to watch what’s actually happening on the pitch instead.  How do your keepers keep conceding so many?  Is there a pattern?  For example, does your weak right flank keep getting exposed?  Does your back line have sufficient cover from your midfield, especially if your “holding” player is a BMW?  Do your fullbacks, especially on the right, have a Trait to get forward often and so get caught out of position?  Is your aggressive Mentality perhaps too aggressive on occasion?  If your Mentality already instructs players to press more often do you really need to tell everyone - dangerously including your defenders - to press even more?  Do your players have the ability to follow all of your instructions to any degree of competence?  And so on…

I’m not expecting answers here, just trying to give you food for thought about the type of things you can look out for and perhaps address.  Your keeper is your last line of defence and if opponents keep getting into good goal scoring positions there is plenty else to look at over and above the quality of your keeper 👍.

Playing in the Portuguese league, keepers (AI) are decent of course, but I've seen them do many mistakes too due to them being exposed to continuous pressure by my team. So I don't know about the "my keepers, not the AI" part. Btw passing dictates if a keeper is good in distribution, not kicking. Kicking is just how long can he send the ball. His passing is average and his physicals very poor, maybe that's the reason for the mistakes. Was he making mistakes in distribution or in saves?

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

If you have tried that many keepers in 2.5 seasons, this should tell you it’s extremely unlikely that your issue is personnel related.

I’d also suggest that if you’re reading commentary and looking at ratings it might be an idea to watch what’s actually happening on the pitch instead.  How do your keepers keep conceding so many?  Is there a pattern?  For example, does your weak right flank keep getting exposed?  Does your back line have sufficient cover from your midfield, especially if your “holding” player is a BMW?  Do your fullbacks, especially on the right, have a Trait to get forward often and so get caught out of position?  Is your aggressive Mentality perhaps too aggressive on occasion?  If your Mentality already instructs players to press more often do you really need to tell everyone - dangerously including your defenders - to press even more?  Do your players have the ability to follow all of your instructions to any degree of competence?  And so on…

I’m not expecting answers here, just trying to give you food for thought about the type of things you can look out for and perhaps address.  Your keeper is your last line of defence and if opponents keep getting into good goal scoring positions there is plenty else to look at over and above the quality of your keeper 👍.

thats why i  posted my tactic, but as nobody commented on it, i assume the fault is not there.

The dude cant stop a shot to save his ****ing life.

Last 9 games:

4 shots on target, conceded 3 (6.2)

3 shots on target, conceded 2 (6.7)

4 shots on target - 7.4

6 shots on target - concded 1 -  6.5

2 shots on target - 7.5

2 shots on target - conceded 1  - 7

2 shots on target - conceded 1 - 6.8

5 shos on target, concded 1  - 6.9

6 shots on target, concded 4 - 6.0

this is supposed to be "a leading goalkeeper" for my division according to a 16 JA coach. A save percentage of 61%.,  You're not gonna tell me that agility of 8 means he moves like a grandpa..He hasnt saved a single game for me

transferlisted him. so now searching for nr4....

Edited by eXistenZ

vor 15 Stunden schrieb eXistenZ:

thats why i  posted my tactic, but as nobody commented on it, i assume the fault is not there.

You're not gonna tell me that agility of 8 means he moves like a grandpa..He hasnt saved a single game for me

vor 15 Stunden schrieb eXistenZ:

In any other FM i would say it can work out but in FM23 i had not have a single GK having good games with an agility that low - the least i had good results with was 11 agility.

I have not played since the latest patch as i wait for mods to keep up but i guess nothing has changed  FM23 is most sensible in my experience to weaknesses in players and the GK position is it seems unforgiveable to weaknesses.

In regard to the AI - it is said the AI players work the same as the human teams players but i have witnessed crap GKs saving way beyond and above what their extremely limited attributes suggest is possible that i must have a doubt that attributes are the end all of that - there must be something more as the AI clear plays to a certain degree of success that would not possible for me as a himan player would i dare to use the same weak players!

Edited by Etebaer

5 hours ago, phd_angel said:

My goalkeepers tend to be pretty good. Maybe there is something wrong in your defense. Check your DCs and defense positioning...

My defenders get good rating (average above 7) and only rarely are to blame for missing something like an interception. And yeah, I concur with Etebear. AI goalies pull off stuff that is beyond their reach/capabilities

10 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I did comment on it, have another read.  The best keeper in the world won’t save you if you keep letting opposition attackers get into good goal scoring positions and let their team mates supply them.

2 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

And yeah, I concur with Etebear. AI goalies pull off stuff that is beyond their reach/capabilities

If you or anyone else really believe the AI has some sort of hidden coding to give them an advantage, you’re nuts.  Sure, we’ve all seen keepers pull off worldies but don’t let dodgy 3D graphics fool you into thinking it’s some sort of AI coding bias.

40 minutes ago, herne79 said:

I did comment on it, have another read.  The best keeper in the world won’t save you if you keep letting opposition attackers get into good goal scoring positions and let their team mates supply them.

Ive seen Ai goalies concede 4-5 goals and still get a decent rating of something like 6.7 or higher. This to me indicates/proves the match engine knows when its a defender or GK mistake. take a look at examples below

image.thumb.png.fc783d44887bdd13c0ec82a9c1808a88.png

image.thumb.png.4338f2a5d3e2f9931ab7ccd553a1e745.png

image.thumb.png.6a9fd27408df0b806ccf3b0234377ba4.png

Notice 2 things: a) the game clearly blames the defenders, not the keeper

B) Also look at the save ratio of my goalie. 7 shots on target, 5 saved.... a 71% save rate is mediocre at best.

Again, the tactic is there but nobody is indicating how it should be improved to stop this

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

B) Also look at the save ratio of my goalie. 7 shots on target, 5 saved.... a 71% save rate is mediocre at best.

Your opponent's keepers saved 21/34 = 62%. 

In FM, more saves = higher ratings, even if you concede a couple. I would not trust save % rate as the best metric to measure a keeper's performance, since not all shots are created equal.

My advice would be to look through all the shots on goal before deciding to switch a keeper, it will usually tell you more than simple stats. 

5 hours ago, Nacaw said:

Your opponent's keepers saved 21/34 = 62%. 

In FM, more saves = higher ratings, even if you concede a couple. I would not trust save % rate as the best metric to measure a keeper's performance, since not all shots are created equal.

My advice would be to look through all the shots on goal before deciding to switch a keeper, it will usually tell you more than simple stats. 

Well none of those keepers are classified as "leading player for the division"

8 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Again, the tactic is there but nobody is indicating how it should be improved to stop this

22 hours ago, herne79 said:

How do your keepers keep conceding so many?  Is there a pattern?  For example, does your weak right flank keep getting exposed?  Does your back line have sufficient cover from your midfield, especially if your “holding” player is a BMW?  Do your fullbacks, especially on the right, have a Trait to get forward often and so get caught out of position?  Is your aggressive Mentality perhaps too aggressive on occasion?  If your Mentality already instructs players to press more often do you really need to tell everyone - dangerously including your defenders - to press even more?  Do your players have the ability to follow all of your instructions to any degree of competence?  And so on…

Nobody?

I already said, defenders get decent ratings, its the goalie who constantly flukes.

Im playing on positive, so dont really understand where you get the aggressive mentality from.

None of the fullbacks have the trait get forward whenever possible. Also there is a carrilero to cover the FB--a

I already said, defenders get decent ratings, its the goalie who constantly flukes.

And I already said to stop looking at ratings and watch what happens on the pitch.  Ratings are not the best indicator of performance.  If your defenders are losing attackers, your team is not stopping supply to them, your midfield provides insufficient defensive cover and/or your flanks are exposed, the best keeper in the world won’t save you.  So what is happening on the pitch?  Are there any patterns of play leaving you exposed?  If your keeper is letting in so many goals you can’t just blame the keeper (or the game) - it’s a team effort.

Im playing on positive, so dont really understand where you get the aggressive mentality from

Because Positive is pretty aggressive.  It tells your players to press more, set a higher defensive line and so on.  It also (importantly) increases individual player mentality.  If you then adjust relevant Team Instructions further you’ll be playing even more aggressively.  So you have set a pretty high defensive line with your entire team doing a lot of pressing.  Your back line will be stepping up even more to press because you’ve told them to.  You are also using a fullback with an attack duty and made him even more forward thinking by upping his Mentality.  How are you covering that big space between your defence and keeper?  What is stopping balls over the top, through the middle, or crosses?  You are also using one of the (imo) hardest formations to get right, at least defensively.  All of that combined can cause you tactical issues, nothing to do with your keeper.

None of the fullbacks have the trait get forward whenever possible. Also there is a carrilero to cover the FB--a

And, when you watch the action on the pitch, how is that working out?  Your fullback and carrilero need masses of at least work rate, stamina and determination to cover that flank for 90 mins each and every match, with your fullback also needing bags of pace in order to get back quickly to defend from advanced positions.  Do they?  You are asking your fullback to run the full length of the pitch constantly every match to provide attacking width but still expect him to cover defensively.  Is he physically capable of doing that?  Is the Carrilero really providing sufficient cover when your fullback is inevitably caught out of position?

TL;DR how are you conceding goals?  I’m not talking about the final header or shot from the attacker which beats your keeper, I mean what is the build up play to the goals?  Are there any patterns of play?  Nobody can stop all goals but if there are regular patterns in the build up phase, that becomes tactical and something you can usually do something about.  Again, I’m not asking you to provide answers, merely give you some food for thought about the type of things to consider, watch and address.

Am 11.3.2023 um 18:37 schrieb eXistenZ:

I made him a standard goalkeeper defend, and to even boost his ratings i stopped distributing to TF and am now distributing to CB/FB. Again, hasnt stopped him from making a mistake every 2 games. To iriterate, thats actually the game saying he makes mistakes, not me.

As for expected saves percentage, he is 15 out of 18th in the league. He has the lowest average rating from all my starters. Also has the lowest average rating from all goalies of the 5 teams aroundme, while being of a similar level (aside from mignolet, which is to be expected)

As for expected goals against as a team, we're around themiddle, its because we are overscoring that im performing. not thanks to him. And this is the 3rd keeper that is fluking regulary. I doubt anything from this tactic stands out as leaving my goalkeeper to dry.

20230311183511_1.jpg

In my opinion, this is very realistic as he is in real life not very consistent in his matches.

Watch the Nigerian league and you will see, all keepers doing terrible mistakes.

15 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Well none of those keepers are classified as "leading player for the division"

Oh okay. So being classified as "leading player for the division" should guarantee you a certain rating and save %, or just a better rating and save % than other players which are rated lower in a subjective report?

I think @herne79has you covered tactically but the sole defensive minded midfielder you have is a BWM who will willingly leave his defensive position to chase down opposition players  and he's only 50% familiar with playing such a role so he could easily make the wrong call and expose your defence 

"Goalkeepers save 69% of the opponents’ shots on target, on average. The save ratios differ greatly depending on whether the shots are taken inside or outside the box (60% and 85%, respectively). This suggests that, to be relevant, the save ratio needs to be considered along with the quality of the shots faced by the goalkeepers" :

Source : https://soccerment.com/the-vitruvian-goalie-a-deep-dive-into-the-goalkeepers-stats/

As a personal opinion, I think that the AI rarely uses the "high defensive line" and "trigger press more often" instructions. And these two instructions combined can often generate great opportunities for any opposing team (including the AI) whose strikers have a high acceleration / pace.

Edited by GreenTriangle

I think some people on here are just plain delusional...and think their team must perform like Barcelona or Bayern week in/week out.

70% save percentage is actually world class, one of the best of the best.  Oliver Khans 'worst season' at Bayern ('00/'01) he averaged 70.5%.  His best season was an 83.1 the year after.  His general average was approx 75% in his Bayern days.  Bare in mind, the defence also greatly contribures to a keepers percentage numbers.

If your distinctly average keeper is even getting close to a top, world class, real goalkeepers numbers, I wouldn't complain about it.

Edited by Maviarab

On 12/03/2023 at 01:37, eXistenZ said:

20230311183511_1.jpg

There is something off about your tactic.

Without fully understanding how roles sometimes perform in transitions, we might assume they will always get back to defend, and in your tactic you are using two roles that are demanding. The mezzala and the Carrilero are great at supporting the halfspaces, in transition they are likely to support the fullbacks by drifting slightly wide. The issue here lies with whether you can create good chances. If you fail to move the ball consistently into a shot at goal and instead lose the ball whenever these two roles are involved in buildup play you could leave yourself open down the flanks. And that is exactly what you have chosen with your defensive line team instructions. You have told your team to trap teams inside.

When you tell your boys to trap inside you are using two roles that need to leave the halfspace and then try and win the ball back, thats a lot of movement. Plus you are using a BWM who whilst is one of my favourite roles also could leave you exposed. Those two side midfielders will leave gaps that he will need to cover.

A 4312 traditionally requires dominant wingplay from the backs. You have opted to be conservative, neither fullback will be effective at driving up the flanks with those two side midfielders. Here the better option would have been to play without trap, and then opting to use at least one wingback on attack and another on support. I would also have used a BWM on support down one flank.  If you want to use a mez/car combo then use a more static role in the middle like a DLP on support, or a DM(D).

While I do agree that goalkeepers are still making some odd decisions, they aren't unplayable.

I recently challenged the community to outdo my performance with Leicester, which is very possible to do playing a 4312 without adding to the squad. While I didn't win the league, I was still happy with their performance. They found it hard against sides like Liverpool and City consistently losing to them, but were able to consistently beat other sides. I think Chelsea are too weak tactically in the game, basically anyone can beat them atm. You can also see that in spite of our 3rd place, our keeper had a save ratio of close to 80% and expected goals prevented of around 6. 80% is considered above average.  Your 4312 needs a review.

I am 100% certain your side mids are doing little to protect your side.  You have a trap inside instruction and you are also telling your team to focus play through the middle. I doubt you are doing a good job of winning the ball in the middle. The combination of roles plus those team instructions are just asking for trouble. Like Herne said you need to watch your transitions like a hawk,  try and see where its breaking down. This has nothing to do with your keeper. 
Rn.png.b9ed7840d1d9a1037a11186326ce7fc5.pngIversen.png.6b658690fac7bac75064327a7dea14c8.png

I found that my GK in the SK-Role made many errors when i had quick distribution enabled - it literally enforced additional errors.

Have you tried to leave your GK totally blank in that area in regard to distribute to whom and how quick and if there was a change in the number of errors percevieable?

I found that at least pre patch the GK was better in a more passive role in regard to distribution and rushing out - patient flexible distribution paired with a lower rushing out value worked (at least for me) better.

Hi, I am also having problems with goalkeepers. Both my old one and my new signing often makes mistakes, meaning they just don't stop easy shots. My tactic is very solid defensively, so I am not judging the total number of received goals (since they are still low), it is just that he (Andre Onana) and his predecessor (Rui Silva) barely stop anything

11 minutes ago, el_manayer said:

Hi, I am also having problems with goalkeepers. Both my old one and my new signing often makes mistakes, meaning they just don't stop easy shots. My tactic is very solid defensively, so I am not judging the total number of received goals (since they are still low), it is just that he (Andre Onana) and his predecessor (Rui Silva) barely stop anything

Head into Reports -> Stats, from there you can see how well they perform based on Expected goals prevented:

fE0a06A.png

I concede a lot, but I'm a poor team in the Portuguese top flight predicted to go down, so I'm not worried. Especially seeing that he is conceding less than expected.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Head into Reports -> Stats, from there you can see how well they perform based on Expected goals prevented:

fE0a06A.png

I concede a lot, but I'm a poor team in the Portuguese top flight predicted to go down, so I'm not worried. Especially seeing that he is conceding less than expected.

Thanks, I will check that once I get home

Edited by el_manayer

2 hours ago, XaW said:

fE0a06A.png

Here it is. He is clearly underperforming

dddd.png

1 hour ago, el_manayer said:

Here it is. He is clearly underperforming

dddd.png

Seems so, so either he is just not performing as well as he should, or he is sat in difficult positions often. Which it is can only you know as you watch the matches.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Seems so, so either he is just not performing as well as he should, or he is sat in difficult positions often. Which it is can only you know as you watch the matches.

Yes, maybe I didn't sign the correct player. Or maybe he is still adapting, who knows. That's what I was thinking before anyway, I was just surprised that some people were complaining particulary about goalkeepers around here. I'll see if I can turn things around!

High expected goals prevented just tells us that the keeper was excellent at stopping goals from good goal-scoring positions. It’s one of the metrics I used to evaluate how good a showstopper he is when I want to sign a keeper.

When you are evaluating your own keeper, it has a flip side. Too high a number for expected goals prevented can also mean your tactic is giving the opposition plenty of goal scoring chances from good positions.

Keepers playing with good defenders or playing in good tactical setups will normally not be seeing high expected goals prevented. Use statistics to understand how your keeper performs and do it contextually.

I think  matches like these are to source of the frustration. These matches are way to commen, and have been for many years.

What makes it even more obivoius is the fact that the AI keeper is crap for the best danish league. Furthermore FCN and LBK are huge rivals, so the match would be classified as a importance match. And the AI keeper has 1 out of 20.....

So the AI keeper is bad, and cant play big matches. Yet this happens.

This is an issues, and i feel like it is about time SI at least toy with the idea of investegating it

image.png.adf3f3b74827a93b0d9206f84c7ae495.pngimage.png.a066ef53ea471fb195441ab1bd9226dd.pngimage.png.db1efd69b1de5d642fa253c6f6bfedaf.pngimage.png.c1268e49f3dc939f5ad212762d7a1813.png

As it is popular to say, it's your tactics :) Maybe you don't have enough good chances, having 4.89 xG from 33 shots isn't really good (and to mention, I do have the same issue from time to time, and I believe this is usually because of highly aggressive, high tempo styles like Gegenpress which I use as well most of the time).

On a side GK topic, one thing I've never seen on FM is penalties made from goalkeepers rushing out, and consequently, yellow/red cards for GKs. It seems they're immune from this rather common situations.

10 hours ago, damian2112 said:

As it is popular to say, it's your tactics :) Maybe you don't have enough good chances, having 4.89 xG from 33 shots isn't really good (and to mention, I do have the same issue from time to time, and I believe this is usually because of highly aggressive, high tempo styles like Gegenpress which I use as well most of the time).

On a side GK topic, one thing I've never seen on FM is penalties made from goalkeepers rushing out, and consequently, yellow/red cards for GKs. It seems they're immune from this rather common situations.

so you are saying that is is my tactics fault, that the AI so often just need to hit the goal to score ?

50 minutes ago, The unknown said:

so often

That’s the key phrase here.

If the issue you see happens rarely then that’s just football.  It can happen.  But if you are seeing the issue “often” that tends to be indicative of issues with how your team defend.  You need to watch for patterns of play - do you keep getting hit with balls over the top; fullbacks caught out of position; a lack of defensive cover from your midfield; a defensive line that is too high; and so on.

I’d also take a look at your attacking play.  Your shots on target to total shots ratio is pretty low.  That indicates quantity over quality - using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  But your defensive play would be the first thing to address.

It’s also worth noting that if the AI can do it to us we can do it to the AI.  We have the exact same tools  as the AI and the Match Engine doesn’t know which team is AI or human controlled.

Anyway, if you want help consider starting a new thread in the Tactics forum and post your setup there 👍.

1 hour ago, The unknown said:

so you are saying that is is my tactics fault, that the AI so often just need to hit the goal to score ?

That last game you posted could be a down to a number of different things. Just looking at the XG, you two shots you gave up average in at 0.15 XG, I'm happy with my average XG per shot being 0.10 and the opponent's less so you've given up two chances I wouldn't be happy happy with

Even discounting the penalty, your XG for the game was decent enough

They were likely pushing for the equaliser late in the game, probably used all their subs, I don't know what your reaction was but most likely the AI were trying to level things up  being just a goal down so late on

Could be any number of things or just one of those games in football. If it's frequent thing, it might be time to look at your tactic and players  

18 hours ago, The unknown said:

The next match in line

Did you allow the opponents to shoot once on target ?!? This is a big tactical mistake ! But don't be upset, it can be worse. You can lose a game even with none shots on your target. For your opponents seems to be easy to convince your defenders to score an own goal or even two