FM23: Unofficial Chelsea Thread.

bucket

Steady, albeit slow, progress since my last update. My scouts came back with a great recommendation to provide competition for Reece as first transfer window was about to close. I signed Vanderson from Monaco for £15(£18.5)m on deadline day and he has been a revelation. Rated as 4 star potential and performing better than Reece so far; 7.29 ave rating to 6.91 Reece. Azpi, as a consequence, has been getting very little game time and causing problems in dressing room with Pulisic and Kepa supporting him….. 

I have currently reached mid December and am about to resume the  season when World Cup finishes ( Semi finals are Netherland v Brazil and France v Croatia) with Carabao Cup game against Man City!  Currently 3rd in league after 16 games with 33 points having settled on a 41221 DM Asymetric AML tactic after refining my initial 433DM tactic.

I have decided to sell Azpi and Pulisic and accepted offers of £12.5m and £45m. No need to replace Azpi as Vanderson already in place and Schjelderup will be promoted to 1st team squad for Pulisic. Schjelderup has performed well so far when I have given him 1st team experience. 

In the run up to resumption of season I have been giving players U21 game time to get them in condition but unfortunately Broja and Auba have both suffered injuries. Auba has been absolutely useless so far and I am keen to offload him, while Broja has been ok but needs to improve his conversion rate of 9%. 

With circa £80m available in January transfer window my temptation is to bring in a striker as Soonsup-Bell not ready yet despite being good propect. Another option would be to play Sterling / Schjelderup there until Broja returns…. I will have to see what options there are in the forthcoming transfer window. I am keen on trying to keep and develop Broja and Soonsup-Bell who both have high potential so I may look for a short term older striker for up to c £15m. I am not planning on keeping Zhakaria and Kante not getting any younger so a quality DM/CM is another possibility instead of a striker…

Edited by mhaffy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had quite a summer transfer window in 2023. 

In:
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (Lazio) - £67.5m
Diogo Costa (Porto) - £44m
Kim Min-Jae (Napoli) - £40m
Fabio Miretti (Juventus) - £26.5m
Tino Livramento (Southampton) - £18m
Sivert Mannsverk (Molde) - £5.5m
Kyle Walker (Man City) - loan with obligation to buy
Martin Dubravka (Newcastle) - loan

Out:
Edouard Mendy (Inter) - £38.5m
Malang Sarr (Shakhtar) - £7m
Ethan Ampadu (Tenerife) - £5m
Thiago Silva - Free 
Jorginho - Free
Kepa Arrizabalaga (Rennes) - Loan
Christian Pulisic (Fulham) - Loan
Tiémoué Bakayoko (Valencia) - Loan
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Besiktas) - Loan
Armando Broja (Everton) - Loan

Have been playing some matches with a 4-2-3-1 with very good results so far. 

GK: Costa, Dubravka, Slonina
RB: James, Walker, Livramento
CB: Fofana, Chalobah
CB: Kim, Koulibaly, Colwill
LB: Chilwell, Cucurella
CM: Kanté, Gallagher, Mannsverk
CM: Milinkovic-Savic, Kovacic, Miretti
RW: Mount, Ziyech
AM: Havertz
LW: Sterling, Hudson-Odoi
SS: Lukaku, Casadei

On 02/01/2023 at 02:43, turgi said:

Can someone explain why Chelsea is so poor?

Lack of depth in all areas, slow defenders against pacy strikers. Injuries, but with the right signings and tactics - you can still win or get close to the league in the first season.

15 hours ago, bucket said:

Lack of depth in all areas, slow defenders against pacy strikers. Injuries, but with the right signings and tactics - you can still win or get close to the league in the first season.

I meant financially

11 hours ago, turgi said:

I meant financially

Ohhhh lol. We aren't cash rich in real life mate. That's why Boehly and Clearlake want to expand the commercial side of the club. He even said Roman never bothered with this side and the club has so much untapped commercial revenues to go down. Until they are in place, Chelsea will continue to leak money. 

Been doing my Chelsea save just wondering what’s positions/roles do they use to get best out of silva, mount sterling and the 2 young players chukwuemeka, Casadei

i play a 5221 narrow formation genepress 

Edited by croftsy8

10 hours ago, croftsy8 said:

Been doing my Chelsea save just wondering what’s positions/roles do they use to get best out of silva, mount sterling and the 2 young players chukwuemeka, Casadei

i play a 5221 narrow formation genepress 

In my modified 41221 asymetric gegenpress tactic that has just won PL in first season with 2 games to go I have been successfully  playing Mount as Mezalla(A) and Sterling as IW(S). Sold Silva but played him as BPD(D) when he was given limited game time. Cascadei stayed in my U21’s initially but has been performing and improving well since I switched him to main squad. I was initially using him as a DLP(S) in DM strata as cover for Kovacic. Injuries caused me to modify tactic and I now use Half Back role in DM strata. Chalobah amazing as first choice for this role with Casadei now training as Half Back and providing excellent cover for Trev. Casadei jumping reach certainly comes in useful and means my tactic plays more like 3 at the back now but with Trev/Casadei providing good support going forward. Training Chuck as Box to Box for my tactic and he is mainly getting game time as a sub but doing ok.

Approaching end of my first season in long term save and starting to think about next transfer window. In earlier post I mentioned that I would probably not be keeping Zakaria. However he has proved to be a good, versatile, squad player average rating of 7.1 Premier League and 7.28 in Champions League. The £24m loan option to buy seems to good not to do given his performances, good personality and with his transfer value being indicated as £33-39m. Hopefully his wage demand etc will not be excessive.

Kante has missed over 8 weeks due to injuries and with one year left on his contract I would definitely be tempted to cash in on him if decent offer comes in.

Edited by mhaffy

Just about to start a Chelsea save because they annoy me. 

I'm going to be going back to the strong and defensively sound team like in the Jose era. I usually try and dominate games with the ball and its going to be a challenge to drop that for physical power. 

On 08/01/2023 at 02:21, Ncfc_king said:

Just about to start a Chelsea save because they annoy me. 

I'm going to be going back to the strong and defensively sound team like in the Jose era. I usually try and dominate games with the ball and its going to be a challenge to drop that for physical power. 

Tried that last week exactly for the same reason. 

Three games into the save I switched it off and couldn't get back to it. The likes of Ziyech, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Jorginho. I just can't see these guys.

Just finished the first season of my main career save on a somewhat disappointing note - lost Champions League final 1-0 to Inter Milan...it just wasn't to be after a great first season: Premier League Winners, FA Cup winners and Carabao Cup Winners.

Tweaked my tactic a little after first few games but very pleased with the way the team plays and the results. My highlight of the season was the FA Cup Quarter Final against Totenham at Stamford Bridge.We were 2-0 down after 17 minutes and playing really poorly. Some bold substitutions and a stern half time team talk saw us storm back to win a great game 3-2.

Selected extracts from Premier League Team Statistics are as follows:

Points 89 (Position 1st), Average Possession 58% (1st), Goals For 76 (4th), XG For 77.39 (3rd), Crosses Completed 196 (2nd), Pass Completion 87% (8th), Passes Completed, 21555 (4th), Chances Created 174 (2nd), Shots on Target 259 (2nd), Conversion Rate 11% (5th), Dribbles Made 620 (11th), High Intensity Sprints 5179 (3rd), Final Third Passes For 3047 (2nd), Goals Conceded 28 (1st), XG Against 33.37 (20th), Opposition Passes Per Defensive Action 3.37 (1st), Final Thirsd Passes Against 1556 (2nd).

One of the main weaknesses is the lack of a really top quality Striker. I have been using Broja, buying Barbosa as cover in January transfer window when Broja was injured - Auba was useless in my save and I have sold him for £4m to Brighton. My top scorer in Premier League was Havertz with 11 - high squad rotation plays a part but a top class striker would help.

The tactic I settled on was this (although I switched the DLP (S) to Half Back circa January with Chalobah being first choice with Casadei as cover. Kovacic didnt play much after I made this switch:

MainTactic.thumb.JPG.2fad2bd483376dd19b2a7687f4bff155.JPG

A variation that I did use successfully when Chilwell and Cucerella were both out injured was to play Choi as Defensive Winger (ML) using Chalobah as Half Back in DMC and telling DL to Stay Wider. These injuries were the catalyst for me switching to the Half Back role although, when Chilwell returned he played as WB (S) in DL slot - the Defensive Winger was just a temporary adjustment.

My squad at the End of 22/23 Season was as follows( Stonina not shown but he played for 660 minutes in 2nd half of season after returning from loan):

Squad.thumb.JPG.05c4bde01ae15c3d393117df779cd181.JPG

Transfer extracts as follows (Auba £4m to Brighton not shown in this extract):

Transfers.thumb.JPG.f18842de25e2b1e90b3879c773dacd6a.JPG

Starting to switch to planning mode for 23/24 now and several good staff members as retiring, so work to do there. Only circa £50m in transfer kitty and planning on selling Kante as he moves in final year of his contract and, hopefully Ziyech who is unlikely to get much game time. Would also sell Koulabaly if decent offer comes in. A top class striker would undoubtedly help but I am keen to bring on Broja and Soonsup-Bell (who coaches believe has more potential than Broja) - Barbosa has been ok as "cheapish fix but he does seem to blow hot and cold! Board and fans not happy that I have yet to sign a high reputation player as my focus has been on younger players for the future...maybe now is the time to invest in a quality central midfielder to replace Kante?

Time will tell....... apologies for a somewhat long post....I seem to have got carried away...

Edited by mhaffy

On 06/01/2023 at 22:44, mhaffy said:

In my modified 41221 asymetric gegenpress tactic that has just won PL in first season with 2 games to go I have been successfully  playing Mount as Mezalla(A) and Sterling as IW(S). Sold Silva but played him as BPD(D) when he was given limited game time. Cascadei stayed in my U21’s initially but has been performing and improving well since I switched him to main squad. I was initially using him as a DLP(S) in DM strata as cover for Kovacic. Injuries caused me to modify tactic and I now use Half Back role in DM strata. Chalobah amazing as first choice for this role with Casadei now training as Half Back and providing excellent cover for Trev. Casadei jumping reach certainly comes in useful and means my tactic plays more like 3 at the back now but with Trev/Casadei providing good support going forward. Training Chuck as Box to Box for my tactic and he is mainly getting game time as a sub but doing ok.

After a very poor run I tweeted my tactics and roles got silva playing better bpd on cover. Mount and sterling as iw attack on the wings.

interesting you got casadei dlp s in Dm. I m using dlp d in mc so could retain him in that role atm I m using him more attaching and training him in a mount role iw attack. Same for chuck as I don’t think training him in either of my 2 midfield roles dlp d or Bwm s would suit. 

How do people get around players that need work permits? Trying to give Jimi Tauriainen a new contract but can’t get work permit. As Brexit has happen can loan them to eu club for 2/3 seasons to gain eu citizenship. 
is it best to loan him out so he plays more league matches somewhere to then qualify or keep him still he can gain uk citizenship.

Also I will use it for young future transfers I may get that need work permits 

image.jpg

Edited by croftsy8

started out wıth chelsea but not sure about tactıcs.I had a great run about 20-24 games then stopped scorıng and concedıng a lot whats your opınıon on tactıcs? ı sold jorgınho he saıd he wıll explore hıs optıons so best ıs cash hım out and sold to real madrıd.ı play Broja as strıker and he ıs really good.Sterlıng ıs awful most of the games wınger or ınverted ınsıde forward.But chelsea ıs fun

Enjoying my main career save that I started on release of 23.2 version - per post four above this one. However, given what seems to be developing in real world January transfer window I might well be starting another main career save when SI release version updated for January transfer window…. 

16 hours ago, mhaffy said:

Enjoying my main career save that I started on release of 23.2 version - per post four above this one. However, given what seems to be developing in real world January transfer window I might well be starting another main career save when SI release version updated for January transfer window…. 

Yes, that's going to be insane but is the payroll p/w going to increase also otherwise we're going to need to sell some players.

23 hours ago, mhaffy said:

Probably will be another month, last year it released on 24th February.

Progressed to early November in my main career save and going well so far; 2nd in league and qualified for last 16 Champions League and Carabao Cup. Summary of my transfer window business:23_24Transfers.thumb.jpg.e20ed394dfc498cc4b28f31a93d435b2.jpg

I decided to exercise Zakaria loan clause and he is proving to be a good, solid squad player. Main transfers out were Lukaku and Ruben; several other players not shown in above extract also left on free transfers.There were a couple of transfers out in early June 2023 that are not shown above:  Kante went to PSG for £39.5m and Aubamayang to Brighton for £4m. With funds available I decided to splash cash and exercise Bellingham's minimum release clause, focussing other spend on younger players. Andre Oliveira (18yo) and Matthew Mitchell (16yo) joining 1/1/24 and not currently shown in above extract.

Still have £32m in transfer kitty and £351k headroom on wages so finances fine for now.

Have kept Sarr as a squad player and he is proving a good versatile squad player(DL and DC cover). I am giving plenty of game time to Casadei, Chuck and Slonina and pleased to report that they are developing well....

Edited by mhaffy

Just reached 1 January 2024 and starting to think about transfer window targets. Transfer Budget £90m and spending £4.7m on wages against a budget of £4.9m. All looking fine…until I was mugged…..

The Board have now just advised me that “… due to a worse than expected financial performance, they are reducing the transfer budget to £2.6m. The wage budget is also reduced from £4.9m to £4.7m.”

Looks like minimal business for me unless I sell some players…. 

Top of the league and they pull the transfer budget that I have built up from sales…What a supportive board!

Edited by mhaffy

On 21/01/2023 at 02:43, wetfred said:

Yes, that's going to be insane but is the payroll p/w going to increase also otherwise we're going to need to sell some players.

Yeah, have basically fixed all the squad problems so will be quite nice. The last summer signings that you will need to move on will probably be the most troublesome as in game they will be new but in reality most would be moved on in 6 months (Auba, KK, etc).

Finances will be interesting. I'm keen to see how SI reflect this. We essentially have a bottomless pit with clever strategies and accounting & plans to rectify the commercials but this isn't in game.

Also keen to see how the new backroom are reflected in game

2 hours ago, Phil930 said:

So it turns out the research team somewhat underestimated the transfer funds available to Chelsea!

I forget - does the game typically receive a post transfer window update?

Yep. What I'm unsure about is, are the funds from the January window added for teams who made big sales etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those looking to do a youth only challenge with Chelsea or having trouble getting a quality striker, Ive been using Wareham as my 3rd striker in a single striker formation, and once taught "beat the offside trap" regularly scores goals from through balls. He's got 6 for me across the PL, Carabao and UCL in 9 games. TBF, I bring him on in the last 30 minutes or second half mostly.

On 23/01/2023 at 01:42, mhaffy said:

Progressed to early November in my main career save and going well so far; 2nd in league and qualified for last 16 Champions League and Carabao Cup. Summary of my transfer window business:23_24Transfers.thumb.jpg.e20ed394dfc498cc4b28f31a93d435b2.jpg

I decided to exercise Zakaria loan clause and he is proving to be a good, solid squad player. Main transfers out were Lukaku and Ruben; several other players not shown in above extract also left on free transfers.There were a couple of transfers out in early June 2023 that are not shown above:  Kante went to PSG for £39.5m and Aubamayang to Brighton for £4m. With funds available I decided to splash cash and exercise Bellingham's minimum release clause, focussing other spend on younger players. Andre Oliveira (18yo) and Matthew Mitchell (16yo) joining 1/1/24 and not currently shown in above extract.

Still have £32m in transfer kitty and £351k headroom on wages so finances fine for now.

Have kept Sarr as a squad player and he is proving a good versatile squad player(DL and DC cover). I am giving plenty of game time to Casadei, Chuck and Slonina and pleased to report that they are developing well....

I have kept ALL youth players at the club and locked them down till they turn 23. Will try selling them all for something. Ive given first team minutes to Brooking, Fiabema, Cumming, Wareham (6 goals in 9 apps), Flower etc at the end of games, theyre all worth close to a million as a result. Maatsen and Colwill are squad players now and Brooking/Hughes have rotated behind Azpi for the right back spot. Play extremely slow possession, so once I am a goal up, the kids can come on.
Im doing a variation of the youth save, where i can only sign U18s straight for the academy, for <5mil AND I have to balance our transfer deficit of -1.6billion since 2004. Ive played RLC so much, that AC Milan came in with a loan to mandatory buy for 61 million. Managed to get 47.5mil for Kante, after a bidding war between Madrid and PSG. Hoping to sell Kova, Cucurella, Pulisic/Mudryk etc to bring in 200mil+.

9 hours ago, poma said:

4-2-3-1 or 5-2-3

I’m erring towards moving to 4231 when I start a new save from the modified 433 tactic that I used in my previous save. Current thinking is playing Enzo as Segundo Volante (S) with Kante, when fit, alongside him in Anchor role, with Chilwell IWB and Reece WB. Not sure on front three yet but probably Felix on left and Sterling on Right. Probably Kai as Pressing Forward initially but I am keen to develop Datro…..Busy with various things at moment and unable to spend time on FM …but still thinking about what to do when I can start a new save….

Edited by mhaffy

On 11/03/2023 at 21:53, Pablo Sanchez said:

how should i structure my 5-3-2?

Id also like to know this as I've struggled a little recently. Started with 4231/433 but went on a bad run. Currently 4th at the world cup break and have slotted to a back 3. 

I always struggle to get cohesive forward play with a 3 at the back system.

11 hours ago, Sunderland AFC said:

Id also like to know this as I've struggled a little recently. Started with 4231/433 but went on a bad run. Currently 4th at the world cup break and have slotted to a back 3. 

I always struggle to get cohesive forward play with a 3 at the back system.

3-5-2/3-4-1-2

Edited by poma

• 3 weeks later...

Team has all it takes but ı dont know why performıng terrıble specıally at attackıng end.I cant get a good football and result what ever ı try.Dont get thıs years chelsea

I've only played about 4 league games so far but won them all. That does include United away and Arsenal at home. I am using this tactic:

Tactic

Main team is:

GK: Mendy

DR: James

DC: Koulibaly

DC: Tiago/Fofana

DL: Chilwell

MC: Enzo

MC: Kovacic

AMC: Mount

AML: Felix

AMR: Pulisic

FC: Kai

It focuses down the left so utilises Felix. My only issue with that is James doesn't get involved as much. Kante, Sterling, Mudryk also played a fair bit. Enzo is a bit wasted as DLP (D) but still does well.

In terms of transfers I only signed Zakharyan, mainly as he usually signs a new deal and the release clause goes up. Loaned out RLC, Badiashile, Broja, Chukwuemeka. I would have kept the last 3 around but the squad is really bloated and the players that I would probably get rid of: Ziyech, Auba etc are unsellable for any value. Hoping to give them bit parts and sell in the summer.

On 28/03/2023 at 18:06, dido53 said:

Team has all it takes but ı dont know why performıng terrıble specıally at attackıng end.I cant get a good football and result what ever ı try.Dont get thıs years chelsea

I agree - I started a Chelsea save as was intrigued by the challenge of sorting a proper rebuild out with them.

Got knocked out of the CL group stages after scoring zero goals…

Knocked out of the FA Cup at the third round by West Ham.

Currently sit 9th in the league. 

Weird thing is, I’ve been getting the news item “could be his last match” for what feels like forever at this point, and have had numerous meetings with the chairman but as of yet, have not been sacked. Not even been given the dreaded “Get X amount of points in the next X games”. I think the researcher must have given the new owner a 20 in patience or something!

I started with a 3-4-2-1 formation but have recently switched to the 4-2-3-1 which was providing better results goalscoring-wise.

My main issue throughout the season has been that I concede too many goals, no matter what I do. On top of that, we have drawn way too many. Not an awful lot of defeats, I think I’ve only lost five but draws are in double figures.

I am hoping a goalkeeper will fix the issue because both Mendy and Kepa are conceding way more than they should going by xGA numbers. Only problem is at the moment, it isn’t looking like I’ll have a lot of cash to spend in the summer. I only really want to sign a goalkeeper and a centre-back, so we’ll see what happens.

The only signing I made in January was Marcus Thuram who has mainly been used as a sub off the bench. Did score in his fourth appearance when he came off to score a 94th minute winner against Manchester United - which was fun.

Felix has been much better in the second-half of the season but can’t see me making the deal permanent as Atletico want silly money.

Anyone got any suggestions for goalkeepers? I really only want a world-class shot stopper who can pass the ball five yards. Not overly fussed about him sweeping etc. I just want a keeper that can keep the ball out of the net better than Kepa and Mendy.

Edited by Gilberto Silva

Update on my short-term Chelsea save.

Ended up finishing 7th in the league, bagging myself a Europa Conference League spot on the final day. It might have saved me from getting the sack.

I did plenty of transfer business in the summer, clearing out a lot of deadwood whilst strengthening in some areas.

First with the permanent sales:

Malang Sarr (AS Monaco - £13m), Mateo Kovacic (Inter Milan - £30m), Romelu Lukaku (Real Madrid - £55m), Kalidou Koulibaly (Real Madrid - £9.5m), Edouard Mendy (Leicester City - £21.5m), Christian Pulisic (FC Bayern - £24.5m), Hakim Ziyech (Everton - £30m), Callum Hudson-Odoi (RB Leipzig - £36.5m). 

Now some players I either couldn’t shift permanently or they needed development minutes so the following went out on loan:

Carney Chukwuemeka (Leeds United), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Armando Broja (Everton), Cesare Casadei (Udinese), Datro Fofana (Southampton), Andrey Santos (Sheffield United), Lewis Hall (Middlesbrough), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Inter Milan), Ben Chilwell (Newcastle United). 

All in all I raised £209m from player sales this summer which I am very happy with.

Now, incomings:

Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid - £106m), Denis Zakaria (Juventus - £22.5m), Keylor Navas (PSG - £1m), Roberto Firminio (Liverpool - free), Danilo (Nottingham Forest - £26m), Christopher Nkunku (RB Leipzig - £56m), Wilfried Gnonto (Leeds United - £23.5m), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa - loan).

I have settled on a 4-2-3-1 for this season leaving my squad looking much better and more balanced than last:

GK: Navas, Kepa, Bettinelli

DR: James, Gusto

DL: Cucurella, Colwill

DCR: Fofana, Chalobah

DCL: Badiashile, Thiago Silva, Mings

DM: Kante, Fernandez, Zakaria, Danilo

AMR: Nkunku, Mount, Madueke

AML: Sterling, Mudryk

AMC: Havertz, Gallagher

FC: Felix, Firminio, Thuram

I did want to ship Gallagher out on deadline day but he refused a £35m move to Monaco. Also Madueke wouldn’t accept any loan offers so he will probably be getting minutes in all the cup competitions this season.

Season is already going a lot better than last, four wins from four in the league. 

• 1 month later...

ok so started season one turned off transfers in first window and for those who been here for years i used the old torres trick with auba training heavy pre season on cfa but play as poacher 11 goals in 4 games. tactics are a gradual working process.

tactic1.png

tactic2.png

tactic3.png

• 3 months later...
On 07/05/2023 at 03:24, silv3rf0xx said:

ok so started season one turned off transfers in first window and for those who been here for years i used the old torres trick with auba training heavy pre season on cfa but play as poacher 11 goals in 4 games. tactics are a gradual working process.

tactic1.png

tactic2.png

tactic3.png

Any player instructions used?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, poma said:

No he is ****, moaning, and underperforming so for me it's u21 for him with some fines for not showing up for training!

Damn, that bad huh.

His professionalism must be in the mud if he's behaving like that, I've noticed he doesn't like being criticized for training poorly. 

Low professionalism must affect his match performance and development because he's nit the player he can and should be, in game anyway.

How is your save going, Poma?

1 hour ago, nexting said:

Damn, that bad huh.

His professionalism must be in the mud if he's behaving like that, I've noticed he doesn't like being criticized for training poorly. 

Low professionalism must affect his match performance and development because he's nit the player he can and should be, in game anyway.

How is your save going, Poma?

He's a f*kn arse in my save!

Well other than him, Madueke and Mudryk is awesome, Jackson struggles

I've found it really hard to get into a save this year. That being said, I'm having the same issues with Enzo as you are @poma. Constantly moaning. Madueke has been a surprise for me as I was about to loan him out but decided to keep him - he's my top scorer (to be honest my team isn't scoring a lot. I think he only has 8 goals by Xmas in the first season).

Love hearing about everyone's saves, especially with Chelsea. FM24 will be an interesting one.