The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

27 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

+1 here for Key highlights user.  This is what I run all my matches on

image.png.b55ef53dafed203f5f9d0519040cc23d.png

I use that set up for highlights but the during highlights speed a notch slower. 

Edit: I also work from home and will frequently pop over and advance a day or two between things I'm working on. If it's match day I'll usually do a half and then get back to work. Though if I'm running a large batch of tests I may get 5-10 mins to play.

Edited by Daddy

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WhiteCat33 said:

This was harsh. We were rated by the media 16/16 with 600-1 odds, so relegation was almost a certainty and the board initially just had 'fight against relegation', but at some point during the season up'd it to 'relegation playoff' so sacked us. Real bummer as I was enjoying this save.

that looks really harsh. I'm sure the boards are much more trigger happy this year, some of the sackings we've seen seem really mean!

On 10/11/2022 at 11:51, glennuk said:

Started an Indonesia save, but may not be worth doing quite yet, there are a few bugs which I think SI need to work out to make it a viable save.

See Contract issues and transfer window/registration dates - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/league-specific-issues/indonesia-official-league-specific-issues/

So even though the bugs are there in Indonesia League Two, I think they may be more visual and annoying than game breaking.

Basically:

Contracts: Manager (myself) and player contracts seem to end on Dec 31st even though that is in the middle (2/3rds) of the way through the season. However my contract as manager ran out (the board would not offer another one), but I was not fired. I eventually asked and got a new contract in March, making me think although the contracts say Dec 31st is the expiry, in game the AI is seeing it as 31st June. Going to test more with player contracts to see how that seems, but I have just been renewing contracts early (as in renewing in March 2024 for those who expire in Dec 2024), at this stage (end of season 1) I don't want to let anyone go.

Squad Registration

Summer Transfer Window is: 1st July - 25th August

Summer registration period seems to be: 17th February - 1st June

Winter Registration period seems to be: 15th October - 24th October

This seems to not make sense. You can sign players on the 1st July, but not register them until 15th October. My youth intake was 1st July, but they could not play for around the first 10 games of the season as they couldn't be registered.

However despite these issues (and doing well with Unterhaching), I may make Indonesia my main youth save.

Anyway, anyone else planning to start in Indonesia beware of the above.

Edited by glennuk

EqXGwdx.png

2024/25 Midseason Review:

vqksdcQ.png

Overperforming start with an underperforming finish to the half. The whole league is tightly packed and first place has been traded quite a bit. Hopefully we get things back in gear and make a push back up the table. Don't think the team is ready to compete in the top division, but if the team can perform consistently we're good enough for a promotion.

Intake Preview:

PepBhB9.png

Would have liked to seen a striker in there as our current striker will be gone at end of the year and no one really staking a claim to replace yet. Always happy to see lots of high potential though.

Having difficult in season 1! About 10 games in and sat in the relegation zone about 4 points adrift :( Trying my best to do moral manager and praise conduct as much as possible, as well as praising and critcising training, last match, form... everything possible really. Even had a couple of success team meetings to get the boys moral up, but with each bad result it keeps slipping down to poor. I'm playing a tactic that I think is to the players strengths. it is a 4-3-3 DM wide, positive mentality with pretty basic match instructions but I'm conceding so much! Scoring isn't a problem but we cant keep a cleansheet! 

Training is slowly starting to produce some results, the players are no longer getting sub 6.0 training ratings each week and some are starting to get over 7.0 which is a positive.

Is there any tips anyone might have that can get me out of this slump? A big issue I feel is seeing out games :seagull:

I think this is pertinent to this challenge, but can anyone confirm that your U21 or U18 managers are arranging friendlies if tasked to do so? I've started three different saves to join this challenge, but i'm just not going to manually create friendlies for the U-xx teams to keep my players match fitness up, since this wasn't a problem in 22 and it's a brickwall of a problem in 23. I've clicked, unclicked and made Latvian spells on all the dropdowns and checkboxes and nothing helps. 

So, do you have a manager responsible to create friendlies for a youth team? Is he actually creating them? Let me know. And yes, i've reported the bug, just seeing if this is widespread and if there's a workaround - i think it's especially pertinent for this challenge. Cheers!

1 hour ago, BrightLad5 said:

Having difficult in season 1! About 10 games in and sat in the relegation zone about 4 points adrift :( Trying my best to do moral manager and praise conduct as much as possible, as well as praising and critcising training, last match, form... everything possible really. Even had a couple of success team meetings to get the boys moral up, but with each bad result it keeps slipping down to poor. I'm playing a tactic that I think is to the players strengths. it is a 4-3-3 DM wide, positive mentality with pretty basic match instructions but I'm conceding so much! Scoring isn't a problem but we cant keep a cleansheet! 

Training is slowly starting to produce some results, the players are no longer getting sub 6.0 training ratings each week and some are starting to get over 7.0 which is a positive.

Is there any tips anyone might have that can get me out of this slump? A big issue I feel is seeing out games :seagull:

It sounds like you're doing the right things, well what I would do at least, to bump up morale.  I guess you could try to add some team bonding the day before a match as that can apparently help, but praising conduct, training etc. is part of my gameday ritual now too.

Maybe I just need to get the tactic cohesion up a bit more. All players are training in their playing roles so it is rising but some aren't quite all the way yet. I'll try adding the team bonding before the matches for the next few weeks and hope that has a boost! Thanks!

I feel a lot has come down to bad luck. Lots of late goals, missed a penalty early on in a game things like that. I've played several of the teams at the bottom of the table already though so i fear that tougher teams will negate any rise in moral/tactical familiarity but you never know. One win will change everything, but only having 1 win from 11 played so far this season isnt great :lol:

Slight spoiler for my save but I encountered the new look Europa League (referred to as the Swiss model - fitting for my Swiss save :D)

78187609_EuropaLeagueReform.thumb.png.f42fc5ee45c028942c4a8f25ad658a5e.png

So now its a single group and you play 8 different teams and have to finish in the top 8 to reach the knock out or between 9th and 2th to qualify for the knock out play off round.

Should make it interesting to see how it impacts the chances of qualifying (also removes the ability to make tactical alterations for the return game against teams in your group).

Just now, BrightLad5 said:

Maybe I just need to get the tactic cohesion up a bit more. All players are training in their playing roles so it is rising but some aren't quite all the way yet. I'll try adding the team bonding before the matches for the next few weeks and hope that has a boost! Thanks!

I feel a lot has come down to bad luck. Lots of late goals, missed a penalty early on in a game things like that. I've played several of the teams at the bottom of the table already though so i fear that tougher teams will negate any rise in moral/tactical familiarity but you never know. One win will change everything, but only having 1 win from 11 played so far this season isnt great :lol:

Unfortunately I think a lot of the morale comes from your form, one win can seem to trigger a bit of a run.

Are you micro managing during the game with regards to the instructions? It may well be you need to pick your moments when to go on the attack and when to instruct to sit deeper based on the momentum of the match (if they added the graphic for momentum it suggest to me that this now plays a role in how your team perform and when they score/concede)

1 hour ago, MikaV84 said:

I think this is pertinent to this challenge, but can anyone confirm that your U21 or U18 managers are arranging friendlies if tasked to do so? I've started three different saves to join this challenge, but i'm just not going to manually create friendlies for the U-xx teams to keep my players match fitness up, since this wasn't a problem in 22 and it's a brickwall of a problem in 23. I've clicked, unclicked and made Latvian spells on all the dropdowns and checkboxes and nothing helps. 

So, do you have a manager responsible to create friendlies for a youth team? Is he actually creating them? Let me know. And yes, i've reported the bug, just seeing if this is widespread and if there's a workaround - i think it's especially pertinent for this challenge. Cheers!

I manually set up the friendlies for my U19 side. They already play in a league, but I need the friendlies to keep my first team reserve's match fit. I just arrange them on the same day every week and I do 15 games at a time when I set it up which makes it a pretty fast task to do. 

1 minute ago, thomas_e said:

I manually set up the friendlies for my U19 side. They already play in a league, but I need the friendlies to keep my first team reserve's match fit. I just arrange them on the same day every week and I do 15 games at a time when I set it up which makes it a pretty fast task to do. 

Thanks for the reply - have to tried to make the managers do it for you?

16 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Unfortunately I think a lot of the morale comes from your form, one win can seem to trigger a bit of a run.

Are you micro managing during the game with regards to the instructions? It may well be you need to pick your moments when to go on the attack and when to instruct to sit deeper based on the momentum of the match (if they added the graphic for momentum it suggest to me that this now plays a role in how your team perform and when they score/concede)

I am, but could maybe do more tweaks to individuals in games. I tempted to go on the front foot more. Our defense is bad and GK lets everything roll past him, but going forward most players are good for this level. Maybe I should just try the old fashioned "just score more than them" method and hope I get lucky?! :lol:

Ok, I have now decided that as soon as the San Marino Challenge is playable I will start here as well. However, my reporting frequency will be very low and I already know that I will never complete the challenge :)

I was totally hooked on reading along...^^

But the way is the goal :)

Edited by Conardo

1 hora atrás, Conardo disse:

Ok, I have now decided that as soon as the San Marino Challenge is playable I will start here as well. However, my reporting frequency will be very low and I already know that I will never complete the challenge :)

@XaW can explain better, but if is only 1 division league, you cant post here. :(

1 hour ago, Conardo said:

2 minutes ago, The7Striker said:

@XaW can explain better, but if is only 1 division league, you cant post here. :(

Yeah, sorry, but only nations with more than one tier to be eligible for this challenge. San Marino only has one, if I'm not mistaken.

14 minutos atrás, Conardo disse:

I thought, I can start in the 4th/5th Italian league? With a editet league-file?

That you can if the club gets promoted to another tier or finish in last place of the league doesnt have relegation.

When you wrote San Marino I thought it was the league itself.

Edited by The7Striker

1 hour ago, Conardo said:

I thought, I can start in the 4th/5th Italian league? With a editet league-file?

Ah, yeah, for the San Marino team in Italy, sure. I thought you meant the San Marinese league!

Luke Farrell's Luxembourg Odessey

Of course, Farrell's second attempt at crafting his unique youth academy wouldn't be straightforward. What Chairmen Bob Schiltz failed to mention was that ASL Porto had been served by FC Porto with a cease-and-desist due to their 'homage' to the Portuguese giant's crest and name. So even though everything at the club still says ASL Porto if you look at the fine print of the paperwork "legally" he has signed for ALSS Luxembourg.

Spoiler

image.png.347ee9a39006597a9d1deb53c7ee043b.png

Fearing that he is in-fact signed for the ghost of a defunct club Farrell searched through the depths of the Luxembourg Football Federation's website and was thrilled to learn that in fact ALSS Luxembourg is in fact a real club that is in the South-East part of Luxembourg city near the rail-yards: FLF Extranet. However there is a problem... ALSS Luxembourg, as a club also exists and are in the 1st Division. And it becomes crystal clear they are the "new" ASL Porto when you find their facebook, which is the "ASL Porto" FB rebranded: AS Alss Luxembourg | Facebook. Not to mention they both share the same facilities at the Stade Boy Konen. And if  you check the Global Sport Archive, they are also registered there as having the ALSPorto as a historical logo and playing current fixtures AS ALSS Luxembourg - Soccer - Team Profile - Results, fixtures, squad, statistics - Global Sports Archive.

Spoiler

image.png.30a8ec3326a494aa1a0565b4f4d604d8.png

image.thumb.png.844d6ae07aa94ac891cb448b5461e142.png

So it seems in fact he has signed for a defunct club :( will the hits never cease for Farrell?!? He's just a simple man who wants to create the Portuguese National team out of Luxembourg, is that too much to ask for?

There is hope though (if the mods will allow it) there is another ALSS Luxembourg splinter organization that has dedicated themselves to "Street Soccer" while also drawing from the same Portuguese community that Farrell seeks to cultivate. While their main team plays in the Futsal league, it seems to Farrell that these renegades have taken over the open ASL Porto banner to take their high flair attacking football onto the grass pitch. ALSS | Luxembourg | Facebook. If they are allowed onto the grass it will be an all-out attacking style of play, where goals galore are demanded by the ravenous fans!

image.jpeg.2a022b4397bf5307a342daf1d4c41d77.jpeg

Totally understand @XaW if this club is a no-go, just figured I'd give it a shot! Luxembourg is fighting me, maybe I really am the villian @The7Striker 

@jepze My one piece of advice is don't under-estimate the power jump between the Division of Honour and the BGL League. I found it very difficult to handle their teams defensively, and with 4+1 relegation spots I couldn't get above the waterline. I would avoid promotion until you are fully confident in your back-line. I went in with a Division 1 level team and they just got murdered. I probably needed 2-3 more years in Division of Honour before I would have been ready as the final intake did give me some CBs but they still weren't very good. 

Edited by WhiteCat33

I've neglected updates because I've been motoring along in my save. Still with Radcliffe and still in the Vanarama South but just wanted to share this horrendous news I got after my last match. My main striker, Liam Davidson, out for 6 months with a broken ankle. Currently on 14 goals in 9 games as we sit 3rd. Absolute heart breaker.

1138018973_Screenshot2022-11-15at17_18_24.thumb.png.246dbbe275513eda9e76cb7e7261160b.png