The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, libbyshuss said:

that's so frustrating! i hate it when that happens

Indeed, especially since that CB always was like 'get better players' and wouldn't negotiate a contract even though the Agent kept saying he'd come to the table. Leaves us and plays literally 1 game all season in League 2.

To add to it all I got the dreaded degradation this summer: Lost Youth Facilities AND Youth Level

image.png.2828bcdf26c86bbb31cc2374515f7af8.png

image.png.6b763a169c594067e1b3eae34e34d3d3.png

Now I have to spend 400k just to get us back to where our facilities were, but no way we can afford to re-up youth level.

image.png.4493d45cd7022da3e3b39638afceb672.png

50 minutes ago, benrollo said:

54dc4b4ea07fbff4b5d9753b53396ddb.jpg

That's now 2 seasons in a row where we have secured a top 8 finish on the final day of the season. It's also the second season in a row we would have only just escaped the relegation playoff places had we finished one place lower in the first stage!

Our finish is made more impressive with the fact that wonderkid Nikola Cakic 26-1 was sold very early in the season. Our board accepted a bid of £475k for the lad, which I would have been OK with if it had come with any kind of sell on clause. I tried offering him out for less with a clause attached but nobody bit. He's now valued up to £5.6m, which is nice for him.

Back to the subject of players who still actually play for us, and it was - of course - Kenan Bozic 24-1 who stood out once again. We're about as close to a one man team as it is possible to be in Football Manager. He led the way with a 7.49 average rating, whilst banging in 20 goals and picking up two end of season awards. One of Cakic's replacements came in behind Bozic Ivan Pavlovic 27-11 put up an average rating of 7.08 in 16 games. Rounding out the top 3 was Branko Gligorijevic 24-3, one of the early graduates who has been steadily plugging away without too much recognition. His 6.90 rating isn't spectacular, but it's solid enough.

Our 2029 graduate class was off to a promising start when the youth candidates preview came through. I was really hoping we'd get a decent 'keeper prospect out of the class, as we haven't had anyone come close to challenging journeyman number 1 Nemanja Jevric. Incredibly, Jevric had played every single competitive game I had managed (230 games!) until a twisted ankle kept him out for 3 games. Sadly, his replacement Pavle Vasic 26-2 was unable to keep a clean sheet - and get onto my infographic - in his absence.

The class graduated, and although there were only 4 elite talents, there were some really promising players in there. Here's a look at all 4 elite talents.

Milos Stojanovic 29-1
bc91e5a8cd90859f4e94ba6aaccaf751.png
Oh mumma, what a talent. The ol' 3-year club option was inserted into Milos' contract - I'm not making that mistake again. The only downside is the fact that we don't play with an AM. I'm not sure he's cut out to be a central midfielder in a deeper role, but unless Bozic leaves we aren't going to have a space up top any time soon.

89ccda7fcab7275be0af5acf2358f5c0.png
A keeper! A decent looking one too, by far the most promising one we've seen come out of the academy so far. Fingers crossed he can push Jevric for game time before too long.

Kieran Cooper 29-3
8f2ef1a40335198829efdd2ada0398b4.png
Ah yes, that famous Serbian surname, Cooper. Coop was born in Zemun, but is half Canadian. He's certainly miles behind the others in this class, but I absolutely love that determination.

Jovan Bojanic 29-4
6e328d48654326e0ba33eae55167173f.png
Leaves a lot to be desired technically, and is apparently out for blood every time he crosses the white line, but right back is a position we aren't particularly deep in so I'm hoping Boj develops quickly.

Behind the scenes, this was a good season. After the disappointment of the facilities being downgraded, we managed to use the funds from the Cakic sale to upgrade both our youth and training facilities. I also managed to start work on my Continental A license as well. I'm still scratching my head about our youth recruitment policy (I have scouts with a wide range of nation knowledge and everything), but if the lads born in the Belgrade region are this promising, I can't really complain too much.

Next season I'm going to be in a similar position with Igor Pavlovic 27-1 as I was with Cakic - my contract signing skills are garbage and I'm doing a terrible job of locking talents down long-term. Pavlovic doesn't want to sign a new deal, but I'm hoping at least we can push towards a cool million if we do sell. Other than that, it would be great if we could secure a top half finish before the final game of the regular season, but I'm not fussy.

I know Kieran Cooper isn't reaching to shelf a lot, but damned if I wouldn't make him a ball playing centre back.

I am in!

Never done this one before - have done the dafuge challenge a few times over the years but never youth only.

I have taken on FC United.

Any tips? I imagine that once the players start to move on and retire it is going to get incredibly hard!

On 26/10/2022 at 07:48, Vipertitan said:

just to let every one know Finland re start date is 17 December  ,IF Gnistan is my new club this year challenge 

David Clark_ Inbox.png

IF Gnistan_ Overview.png

IF Gnistan_ Profile.png

IF Gnistan Under 20s_ Squad.png

just relised i can not be them this was previous season but going to re start finland 

Ykkönen_ Stages.png

YtNcoEx.png

FC Barreirense

2024/25 Preview

Campeonato de Portugal Série C

2edadf40f014cddf4a5d0cac40f1e358.png

The different Series (or Groups) of the Portuguese 4th tier split the teams geographically from north to south. With two teams relegated from the third tier being slam dunks teams to go to group D and with us at the border between the two series, we got moved to Serie C, which will make for a great story this year. The group has a few old dinosaurs from the Portuguese League: we have 24 seasons in the top league, Atletico CP have the same number, and if we count the seasons of the teams that merged  to form the team they can add 6 more seasons to their tally, and Fabril do Barreiro have 23 seasons in the top tier, back when they were called CUF. To be fair, the last time any of these teams were in the top tier was in the 70s. To top it all off, this year we'll have a Barreiro derby!

This season the board want us to finish midtable and looking at the group we're in, I think we can do it. Atlético, Benfica de Castelo Branco and Sintrense are likely to be the favourites to win this though. I'm not sure the bookies believe the same though. W have better odds this year... 500-1. Our board also told us that they favoured us to sign under 23 year old players for the first team, good luck with that!

We let go a few of the dead wood players that could easily be replaced by our 16 year olds if need be. On one hand it prevents any damage to the team morale if they start moaning for playing time, and in the other hand it's a bit of money saving. I also managed to get some players to sign new contracts getting a pay cut, and some of the fringe players signed non contracts this season. We received a new sponsor payment that sees us out of the red. Penny pinching to see if we can get some facilities improvements at some point.

Just had my first batch of youth intake at FC United, a 15 year old Anthony Connor. (He won't be here long I feel a club higher up will poach him off me for peanuts) Made his debut in the FA Trophy, scored after 2 minutes and then got himself sent off.

Welcome aboard - my kind of player!!

image.thumb.png.75a1c1dca79c777b001ebe0320ae7589.png

So I'm in a bit of a predicament and wondered what others would do in this situation. We did lose star CB Fallon 24a in the summer to Watford. He refused to sign a new contract and I held out until a month before hoping he may change his mind but it didn't work, so I offered him out for free +50% of his next transfer fee and a few clubs took the bait. Watford signed him and are now offering to buy the 50% clause for £1.4m. I don't really need the money at the moment but fell foul on fm22 to numerous players moving on then being released by their new clubs and so missing out on any future income. 

12 minutes ago, BigJack said:

So I'm in a bit of a predicament and wondered what others would do in this situation. We did lose star CB Fallon 24a in the summer to Watford. He refused to sign a new contract and I held out until a month before hoping he may change his mind but it didn't work, so I offered him out for free +50% of his next transfer fee and a few clubs took the bait. Watford signed him and are now offering to buy the 50% clause for £1.4m. I don't really need the money at the moment but fell foul on fm22 to numerous players moving on then being released by their new clubs and so missing out on any future income. 

Imo, for a National League side, £1.4m right now is huge. You can immediately pump that into facilities or running your junior coaching/youth recruitment at a massive scale at a loss in order to brute force good intakes.

£1.4m right now > a promise of a vague amount of money possibly at some point in the future maybe. What if he ends up retiring there?

38 minutes ago, SuperRedditch said:

Imo, for a National League side, £1.4m right now is huge. You can immediately pump that into facilities or running your junior coaching/youth recruitment at a massive scale at a loss in order to brute force good intakes.

£1.4m right now > a promise of a vague amount of money possibly at some point in the future maybe. What if he ends up retiring there?

Yeah i am leaning towards taking it. We have good junior coaching and good youth recruitment already and are still making at least 20k a month profit. It would take us to £2m in the bank. Is there a threshold to turning pro money wise? I remember seeing something around that number a while back. 

Macfarlane looks some player, fingers crossed that 50% sell on turns out lucrative for you.

So first try ended in a mid season 2 sack, having no squad depth is a real pain. Thus attempt number 2:

Final position was better this time around (mainly cuz I changed the tactics and I think I found something that works better):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.af921070dfa50b0fb79eb3f051d31155.png

---Transfers---

In - none of course

Out - still lost 3 players, still some of the best:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.103fd698f5233b1fffb319743f2f51d1.png

---Intake---

This year it was better, got a 4* AM and my tactic uses an AM. And I had no real AM before. I am a happy little thing:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f04cfd3935fe05215022b31d63f602d7.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8e5167ef09f721a2c2abbe2dff1f6517.png

21 minutes ago, Perre8 said:

image.png.e38e03c7908e3a63cb3e122609f821b4.png

CF Caniçal - season 23/24 - youth intake - end of season

Not a great intake personality and determination wise, great calculation tool thx to the Excel wizard @OlivierL

97e328d11f3eee180ded284b370205b8.png

Best of the class

f92b3f0089c32543e6a15c4ab27fe28c.png

a30f3a3fcaadc39ac948192d3f4868a3.png

1ebabb839ea1beeb5c9b994de36f7854.png

This one got promoted to the senior team

13b00d6adb47eebeeb87747d16ab64e8.png

End of season

0105b5732546200ac4d17254fc29a166.png

we managed to stay up, a great performance if i compare the squads in the league, time for the next step.

cc6b920357e428693a5dc1f3d474d795.png

Can you please provide me the calculation tool? Thanks

17 minutes ago, benrollo said:

More infographics? MOAR INFOGRAPHICS. Is it possible to go too far? Probably.

You have maps, that's enough for me to put my stamp of approval on those infographics! :D 

3 hours ago, BigJack said:

I'd say take the money. Invest in new facilities and new players will come through that will make the team a lot better. Let's say he sells for 20 million in 5 seasons. You would get 10 million or 2 million per season. In those 5 years with better facilities you have 5 times 15 players = 75 players coming through. I think 2 or 3 of those players will be even better than Fallon and worth more.

With 4 games to play, we are still in the running for promotion to Superettan (division 2)!

It has been a dream season so far. I never thought that we would perform so well, after our promotion last season.
WkeFHs8.jpg

1 minute ago, benrollo said:

Just realised I'm not able to trigger club option extensions which is a bit of a pain.

Spotted this post in the bug tracker - just a word of warning guys! 

I was able to do that with no problem on my save - even did it to two fringe players who wanted to leave on a free, cause that would mean I'd ahave no cover at striker.

3 minutes ago, Reiver said:

I was able to do that with no problem on my save - even did it to two fringe players who wanted to leave on a free, cause that would mean I'd ahave no cover at striker.

Ah that's interesting! I'm going to dig some more

@hubwubOut of interest, as the challenge goal is to win the League and Continental Cup, what's the interpretation for Mexico - with the league actually being 2 half leagues.

Win both the Apertura and Clausura?

I managed in Mexico in FM22 as part of a pentagon save, and loved it - really fun league, imo.