FM23 on Mac

7 hours ago, ScraicMate said:

Hey guys wondering if I could get some advice. Looking to purchase FM23 but I'm a little worried about my specs.. I've been able to run every other FM absolutely fine but just want to be double sure.

Its an Old Macbook Air from 2014

1.4GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5

4GB 1609 MHz DDR

I don't watch matches in 3D or anything like that and like I said, every other version has ran absolutely fine but just want to make sure. Thanks :)

Couldn't say with 100% confidence, but it should. Your safest bet would be to download the demo and give it a test run

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Smurf said:

Go for more RAM and go to the M1 processor.

Yes - once you buy a Mac you're stuck with what you buy - there's no way to upgrade components, SSD, RAM - like you can in some (most) PC Laptops.

The M2 processor is not a significant upgrade in processor power.

So the best option is to go for the M1 and get a minimum of 16gb of RAM.

The screens are tiny - only 13.6 inches or something. Really small screens.

Macbook Air M1 with 512gb Storage + 16gb RAM = €1,689.00

Macbook Air M2 with 512 gb Storage + 16gb RAM = €2,109.00

The only difference being M2 chip - and the gains are not enough for any noticeable difference for FM.

You can see this on the Benchmark Spreadsheet run by @Brother Ben

You can actually save yourself €420 by going M1 chip instead (for the Macbook Air)
But of course if you can afford the M2 by all means go for it.

If you want a larger screen you'll have to stump up for the Mac Book Pro.

For me - the 16 inch screen is probably the best for FM.

But as you can imagine - the price goes up by screen size - massively goes up.

The 13 inch MacBook Pro only comes with M2 chip

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM you're looking at €2,089.00

*edit* wait what? This is cheaper than the M2 MacBook Air??? 
Is that right can anyone else confirm this?

14 inch Macbook Pro 

Starts at €2,499.00

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM up to €3,799.00 for basic model of the best processor

16 Inch Macbook Pro 

Starts at €3,099.00

512gb Storage + 16gb RAM for the basic model.

---------------------

It all depends on budget - if you can afford it - get the best that you can possibly afford in this order
Best Processor
RAM minimum 16gb.
512gb storage (but aim for 1tb)

This is the best way to futureproof your device for longevity.

As it's a lot of money to spend on a product. You should be aiming for at least 6 years and maximum 10 years usage.

I'm not a fan of Apples pricing system. I think it's very expensive when getting a bit more RAM or more storage space.
But if you can afford it - get it.

Some top advice in here. Ended up plumping for the M1 Air with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I've been blown away with how fast it is and the lack of fan hasn't hindered performance one bit.

Very happy with my purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Joedw said:

I’ve searched the forum but still can’t find the answer, how do you hide the notch on the 14” MacBook Pro? 

Am I missing something obvious lol

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-hide-the-notch-on-the-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/#:~:text=Look in the upper-left,with the larger app window.

17 hours ago, scotty-corkcityfc said:

M1 or M2 seem to work very well so? Is there much of a difference in the power between the two?

Apparently not 

Note this starts at 52nd best processor on the market at the moment according to latest benchmarks

As the processor goes up  in model it gains some l2+l3 cache and some extra cores/threads

Where FM is mainly still single core. 

image.png.189f1b34dc0881dc8b47ff954f851f67.png

In terms of what Caches mean
These processors may perform better in tasks that benefit from high cache, such as video editing, 3D rendering, or gaming (like FPS). However, other factors such as clock speed, core count, and thermal design power (TDP) also play a significant role in determining overall performance.

For FM - they all relatively have the same clock speeds - just some get more cores/threads.

I asked Neil Brock about the cores/threads before

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

Hope some of this is of use. 

The general rule of thumb for buying a Mac these days

Get the best processor you can afford
Get a larger SSD (1Tb or more)
Minimum 16 GB RAM.

Nothing in a Mac is upgradeable, you can't increase storage, upgrade the RAM or anything else.

You are basically going to live with what you buy.

If you truly need to save a bit of money - lower the Storage to 512gb
Or rank down on the processor

Each has a compromise.

I've put together this for a general guide for everyone

Model Cache Size Clock Speed (Base/Turbo) Cores/Threads Potential Gains
Apple M2 Max 36MB + 48MB 2424 - 3696 MHz 12/12 High performance, especially for tasks that can take advantage of multiple cores/threads, such as video editing, 3D rendering, and scientific simulations
Apple M2 Pro 10-Core 36MB + 24MB 2424 - 3504 MHz 12/12 High performance, especially for multi-threaded tasks
Apple M1 Max 28MB + 48MB 2060 - 3220 MHz 10/10 Good performance for everyday tasks and light to moderate workloads
Apple M2 Pro 36MB + 24MB 2424 - 3696 MHz 10/10 High performance, especially for multi-threaded tasks
Apple M1 Pro 28MB + 24MB 2064 - 3220 MHz 10/10 Good performance for everyday tasks and light to moderate workloads
Apple M1 Pro 8-Core 28MB + 16MB 2060 - 3220 MHz 8/8 Good performance for everyday tasks and light workloads
Apple M1 16MB + 8MB 2064 - 3220 MHz 8/8 Good performance for everyday tasks and light workloads

In bold - similar perofroming
in italic - lesser by a smidgen - but similar performance, I don't think you'd know the difference in FM
IN underline - lesser again - but would be perfectly fine for FM.

Football Manager is a CPU-intensive simulation game that relies heavily on processor performance, especially for in-game simulations and processing large amounts of data.In general, processors with larger cache sizes and higher clock speeds can provide a better performance, especially for more demanding tasks. Additionally, processors with more cores and threads can also improve performance for multi-threaded applications.

For obvious reasons, the Apple M2 Max and M2 Pro 10-Core appear to be the highest-performing processors, with large cache sizes and high clock speeds, as well as 12 cores and 12 threads. But I'd reserve thes for people doing Video Editing, High End Gaming, 3D modelling etc.

However, the other processors listed also have their own strengths and may be better suited, depending on the specific needs of the user.

Ultimately, the specific processor that is best suited for Football Manager will depend on the other components in the system, such as the graphics card, RAM, and storage. It's important to make sure that the entire system is well-balanced and capable of providing adequate performance for the game.

10 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

hey i’m sorry if this is the wrong spot, but my macbook pro (2021) notch is visible on FM23 again. it wasn’t when I first loaded the game, not entirely sure what happened. any ideas? 

Check a few posts up the page :)

12 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

thank you for that! cheers 

edit: for some reason, the scale to fit option isn't available for my FM23 file. any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 2.10.51 PM.png

You might find it in the FM2023 preferences when the program is running.

11 hours ago, Smurf said:

You might find it in the FM2023 preferences when the program is running.

any suggestions as to where I might find them in the FM preferences? I loaded up the game and went through the preferences menu but see nothing related to scale to fit. Resolution doesn't do it, switching to windowed and back again doesn't do it... am I the only one here unable to figure this out? How did you do it @Smurf?

Edited by bielsadidnothingwrong

11 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

any suggestions as to where I might find them in the FM preferences? I loaded up the game and went through the preferences menu but see nothing related to scale to fit. Resolution doesn't do it, switching to windowed and back again doesn't do it... am I the only one here unable to figure this out? How did you do it @Smurf?

I don't have a Mac with a notch. I wouldn't buy a computer that has an intrusive element built into the screen.

There's a thread here

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am planning to switch back to MacBook after trying windows for 2.5 years with my HP Envy 15.

Can people using M2 MacBook Air, share their experiences, if they are facing heating issues, especially while playing FM23?  Or any other issues?

Would it be better if I instead get an M2 MacBook Pro 14 as it has fans to cool down the temperature? Or are there any other issues while playing FM23?

4 hours ago, Sweetleftfoot said:

Hi,

I am planning to switch back to MacBook after trying windows for 2.5 years with my HP Envy 15.

Can people using M2 MacBook Air, share their experiences, if they are facing heating issues, especially while playing FM23?  Or any other issues?

Would it be better if I instead get an M2 MacBook Pro 14 as it has fans to cool down the temperature? Or are there any other issues while playing FM23?

I got an M2 macbook air a couple of weeks ago and sold my M1. I've noticed a big difference heat wise. My M2 barely heats at all, where as the M1 used to heat quite considerably. I have upgraded the RAM (8 to 16GB) and storage (256 to 512gb) on the new laptop though.

Runs very fast and smoothly. I tend to play with 6 nations active and 13/14 divisions. 

21 hours ago, 9craiggibson said:

I got an M2 macbook air a couple of weeks ago and sold my M1. I've noticed a big difference heat wise. My M2 barely heats at all, where as the M1 used to heat quite considerably. I have upgraded the RAM (8 to 16GB) and storage (256 to 512gb) on the new laptop though.

Runs very fast and smoothly. I tend to play with 6 nations active and 13/14 divisions. 

How much did you sell the M1 for mate? Im considering the same tbh but if I do I want to upgrade it to the max so it lasts or get a pro.

41 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

How much did you sell the M1 for mate? Im considering the same tbh but if I do I want to upgrade it to the max so it lasts or get a pro.

£600.

I got a decent deal on the M2 with 16GB 512GB from Costco 

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Apple-MacBook-Air-2022-Apple-M2-Chip-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-136-Inch/p/MacBookAir2022M210C16GB512GB

5 hours ago, unitedstian said:

Dont know if anyone else has this problem but when I simulate a season (M1 Mac Pro), with only one league loaded, it takes about 25-30 minutes to sim a whole season... and on FM 22 with the same Mac it takes about 10 at most :idiot:

Try doing the benchmarks.  There are other M1's on there so you can compare your timings to them.

On 07/03/2023 at 15:45, 9craiggibson said:

What level of graphics do you play at, and do you play 3D match engine? What is the spec of your machine?

On 07/03/2023 at 20:44, Sanel said:

I'd say get the Pro. I own the M1 and it's running more than fine. Pro is better value, as you can get 16 GB as well.

What level of graphics do you play at, and do you play 3D match engine? What is the spec of your machine?

On 08/03/2023 at 13:52, unitedstian said:

Dont know if anyone else has this problem but when I simulate a season (M1 Mac Pro), with only one league loaded, it takes about 25-30 minutes to sim a whole season... and on FM 22 with the same Mac it takes about 10 at most :idiot:

Both games set the same way - using same database size, leagues loaded, graphics settings - it would be important for all settings to be identical. 

And it might even come down to running the game from a fresh boot of the system. 

Or if you have other tasks running in the background.

One program I use often is Adobe InDesign and on Intel processors you can export multiple PDFs at the same time, you see the progress bar for 4/5/6 pdf exports.

On M1 Macs this doesn't happen as they are not multi-threading. It only exports 1 after the other.

I know you're running FM22 on M1 and FM23 on M1 - so it's the same system.

But is there a chance that FM22 is running on Rosetta? Or something like that. 

• SI Staff

FM22 would be rosetta, FM23 would be native but that makes it faster and all my tests show that.

In general comparison there is little in it between fm22 and fm23, so I can't really explain how you are getting results like that.

5 hours ago, EdL said:

FM22 would be rosetta, FM23 would be native but that makes it faster and all my tests show that.

In general comparison there is little in it between fm22 and fm23, so I can't really explain how you are getting results like that.

That's what I suspected.

It's probably something in their game setup - or background tasks being run. The M1 shouldn't really be an issue here. So there is something else at play probably.

On 09/03/2023 at 13:05, Sweetleftfoot said:

Very high or high. I play on a MBP from 2020 with an M1. 8 GB runs fine, 16 GB even better if you are multi tasking outside FM. It's amazing for FM. Other graphic heavy games not so, as it gets warm. This happens with 3D output for a longer periode of time >20 min.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have read the whole thread from beginning to end. I am confused. My plan is to buy a new laptop, Macbook Air M1 or M2. Some people in this thread who run FM on Macbook Air say it run smoothly and beautifully and some people say their Macbook Air get too hot and lag.

Is there some conclusion to draw here? Regarding FM23 and Macbook Air M1 or M2?

1) Over all, is it a good idea to buy a Macbook Air if you want to play some FM23? (I'd like the Macbook Air and like to browse the internet, watch films and do some writing. Basic stuff, but I also want to be able to play my beloved FM and to have a joyful experience doing that.

2) I can only afford a Macbook Air M1 + upgrading to 16Ram or a Macbook Air M2 + base 8Ram. What do you recommend me to choose?

Question number one is obviously  most important.

I would be very grateful if some of you could enlighten me and give me your honest opinions. Thanks! (planning to buy on wednesday)

Edited by MrMourinho

10 hours ago, MrMourinho said:

So, I have read the whole thread from beginning to end. I am confused. My plan is to buy a new laptop, Macbook Air M1 or M2. Some people in this thread who run FM on Macbook Air say it run smoothly and beautifully and some people say their Macbook Air get too hot and lag.

Is there some conclusion to draw here? Regarding FM23 and Macbook Air M1 or M2?

1) Over all, is it a good idea to buy a Macbook Air if you want to play some FM23? (I'd like the Macbook Air and like to browse the internet, watch films and do some writing. Basic stuff, but I also want to be able to play my beloved FM and to have a joyful experience doing that.

2) I can only afford a Macbook Air M1 + upgrading to 16Ram or a Macbook Air M2 + base 8Ram. What do you recommend me to choose?

Question number one is obviously  most important.

I would be very grateful if some of you could enlighten me and give me your honest opinions. Thanks! (planning to buy on wednesday)

Any Mac will run FM fine. 

I'd recommend a minimum of 16 GB RAM - so in your case, I'd go for the M1 with 16 GB.

The upgrade to M2 does not have significant gains for FM, and with less RAM you will have more issues in the future. 

With a Mac get the best you can afford - there are no (ZERO) upgrade options after you buy. 

Processor - M1 / M2

RAM 16gb or more

Hard drive minimum 512gb (but 1TB recommended)

16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Any Mac will run FM fine. 

I'd recommend a minimum of 16 GB RAM - so in your case, I'd go for the M1 with 16 GB.

The upgrade to M2 does not have significant gains for FM, and with less RAM you will have more issues in the future. 

With a Mac get the best you can afford - there are no (ZERO) upgrade options after you buy. 

Processor - M1 / M2

RAM 16gb or more

Hard drive minimum 512gb (but 1TB recommended)

Thanks! Tomorrow I will buy a Mac Air M1, probably with 16gb ram. Looking forward to it :)

14 hours ago, Pedro_SM said:

Anyone can help me with this error? I launch the game, but in the loading screen it crashes and that Message appears. How can i fix this? 
i have an iMac with M1 processor.

F55607DE-462E-4F31-9A5F-16251760C0B6.jpeg

What client did you use to install? Epic/Steam or how was the game added? 

Do you have full read/write permissions ?
https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/mchlp1203/mac#:~:text=On your Mac%2C select a,the item and change it.

Can you give us more info - if not then head to the support forums.

On 23/03/2023 at 21:16, Pedro_SM said:

Anyone can help me with this error? I launch the game, but in the loading screen it crashes and that Message appears. How can i fix this? 
i have an iMac with M1 processor.

F55607DE-462E-4F31-9A5F-16251760C0B6.jpeg

Hi. I've been getting the same bug. I also have a macbook but with an intel chip. Running Ventura 13.1 as the OS version. Did you find a fix for this? I'm on Steam

Edited by FelixForte

I am running FM23 on a 2020 Macbook Pro, with 13.3 Ventura installed.

Hadn't played much until the final update, but wanted to get into my long term save and have noticed the screen keeps flickering/flashing black intermittently. I haven't noticed this during the match, but happens when navigating through the normal menus. It's not causing any crashes, but is incredibly frustrating.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any solutions to this at all?

Thanks

15 hours ago, rushdengooner said:

I am running FM23 on a 2020 Macbook Pro, with 13.3 Ventura installed.

Hadn't played much until the final update, but wanted to get into my long term save and have noticed the screen keeps flickering/flashing black intermittently. I haven't noticed this during the match, but happens when navigating through the normal menus. It's not causing any crashes, but is incredibly frustrating.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any solutions to this at all?

Thanks

had a bit of a dig around - seems to be a common issue with Ventura

Try playing in Windowed Mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12.05.2023 at 14:22, rossoneri_87 said:

Hi everyone.

Have Macbook Pro M1 8GB RAM. Everything goes perfect, except 3D match. Tried different 3D settings but still have lagging during 3D match.

Any advice?

There is a problem with M1 7 core GPU. It's not solved yet. 

• 3 months later...

Managed to get a new laptop upgrade through work, the MacBook Pro M2 Max 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU model - should arrive in the next two weeks, presumably that’ll run FM24 and the new upgraded FM25 perfectly?

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

Managed to get a new laptop upgrade through work, the MacBook Pro M2 Max 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU model - should arrive in the next two weeks, presumably that’ll run FM24 and the new upgraded FM25 perfectly?

They're powerful machines - I work mine on the M1 air and it works fine with some overheating every now and then (am playing with low settings)

Im going to invest in the M3 Pros once they come out 

6 hours ago, aj6658 said:

They're powerful machines - I work mine on the M1 air and it works fine with some overheating every now and then (am playing with low settings)

Im going to invest in the M3 Pros once they come out 

I think M3 are rumoured to be before June next year?

19 hours ago, stevemc said:

I think M3 are rumoured to be before June next year?

I think Q1 of next year

They were planned this October but think they are struggling with the new 3nm process/ iPhones have taken the all the capacity 

If the iPhone 15 is anything to go by, we have alot to look forward to. The iPhone 15 pro can play xbox games (assassins creed) 

• 1 month later...
On 08/10/2023 at 15:52, aj6658 said:

I think Q1 of next year

They were planned this October but think they are struggling with the new 3nm process/ iPhones have taken the all the capacity 

If the iPhone 15 is anything to go by, we have alot to look forward to. The iPhone 15 pro can play xbox games (assassins creed) 

Apple took that long to deliver the M2's that we cancelled and ordered the M3 Max, came on Tuesday, playing FM24 on it tonight for the first time and it's brilliant, graphics like butter, no overheating and no fan noise :cool:

Edited by stevemc

12 hours ago, stevemc said:

Apple took that long to deliver the M2's that we cancelled and ordered the M3 Max, came on Tuesday, playing FM24 on it tonight for the first time and it's brilliant, graphics like butter, no overheating and no fan noise :cool:

We'd love to have your results on the benchmarking thread if you've got time