Newcastle qualifying for the Champions League

Champions League and Newcastle  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How Long till (AI Controlled) Newcastle qualified for the Champions League in your save?

• First season
    • 2nd or third season
    • fourth - seventh season
    • *8th Season +
    • Never Qualified (played minimum of 4 seasons)
    • I just like picking random poll options

Hi All, 

After being 6 seasons in with Newcastle still having failed to qualify for any european comnpetition despite the new owners i wondered how they were fairing in other peoples games. I also noticed that after the first two seasons the spending massively dialled down, towards that of an upper midtable club, as opposed to the massive (title chasing style) numbers they were putting up in the first two seasons. Though wages to newly signed players remains higher than the average, and they are very loyal to managers, nto the hire them fire them i was expecting for not delivering Europe

Makes sense as far as I'm concerned. For my second season playing them, the transfer budget was 'only' about 65M-ish, after finishing 7th in the first season. Since you basically have te rebuild the entire team, it's very hard to be competing from the start - since you inherit what is basically a top championship team. Even the top players like Saint-Maximin and Almiron don't have the required stats for top-level players (mostly in terms of finishing/long shots. St-M is quite decent as creator).

Newcastle have managed 7th and 14th in the two seasons of my current save and have just sacked Eddie Howe going into season 3. Looking at their performance over the two seasons they've never challenged for the CL spots and not really been in relegation trouble. They seem to be a classic mid-table team. They've signed some big players like Isak in my save but I think they're still carrying too much dead weight in the squad that they can't easily move on. 

In my save (now in 2030), Newcastle were Europa League regulars for a few seasons after the big money arrived, but dropped back to mid-table in 2026/7 and haven't recovered since. No Champions League at all.

They bank rolled my European charge at Saints, finished mid table with them in 1st season and they buy Che Adams for £74m, I buy young players with huge potential and sneak into CL whilst Che does a quality job and got the relegated, Brendan Rodgers did a really poor job for them 

On 14/02/2022 at 09:08, managerialmuggle said:

They bank rolled my European charge at Saints, finished mid table with them in 1st season and they buy Che Adams for £74m, I buy young players with huge potential and sneak into CL whilst Che does a quality job and got the relegated, Brendan Rodgers did a really poor job for them 

Similar to myself at Villa, first couple of years i was selling a player a year to Newcastle, Budgeted for that with my targets for season 3, but then Newcastle seemed to turn off the spending taps, so i never sold another player to them

I'm in December 2049 (managed arsenal from start of game until 2037/38 season) and they have never finished top 4, closest they have came was 5th in 2040/41, 6th in 2032/33 and 7th in 2046/47

Trophies wise.

Carabao cup winner in 2029. that's it :D 

13 hours ago, Carmi88 said:

I'm in December 2049 (managed arsenal from start of game until 2037/38 season) and they have never finished top 4, closest they have came was 5th in 2040/41, 6th in 2032/33 and 7th in 2046/47

Trophies wise.

Carabao cup winner in 2029. that's it :D 

Are they still spending big in that save? Have they still got the same owners?

6 hours ago, smp20 said:

Despite two transfer windows and £250m spend Newcastle ended up relegated in my save first season. :eek::lol:

Will be interesting to see their progress from now on.

I'd be interested to hear how much they spend in the Championship and what happens to the club after a relegation

I'm heading towards the end of my fourth season with Leeds, and Newcastle have finished 11th, 7th, 8th and are currently 10th (6pts off 9th with 13 games remaining). Spending has been higher, but slightly dropping off each season (Spent £274m, £190m, £124m and £184m), but they have started making a little back on outgoing transfers (£8m, £43m, £60m and £92m) although obviously still a large net spend (£772m out, £203m in).

For comparison, my Leeds team have finished 8th, 4th, 7th and currently flitting between 4/5th. In/Out transfers have been £55m/£170m, £118m/£38m, £87m/£131m and £78m/£143m (net spend £338m out, £482m in)

They've been absolutely abysmal on mine. Tragically bad.

21/22 - 19th

(In the Championship 22/23 and 23/24)

24/25 - 18th

(In the Championship 25/26)

26/27 - 18th

(In the Championship 27/28)

28/29 - 19th

I am currently on the 29/30 season, so no idea if they'll make it back up.

On 18/02/2022 at 21:41, SMV90 said:

They've been absolutely abysmal on mine. Tragically bad.

21/22 - 19th

(In the Championship 22/23 and 23/24)

24/25 - 18th

(In the Championship 25/26)

26/27 - 18th

(In the Championship 27/28)

28/29 - 19th

I am currently on the 29/30 season, so no idea if they'll make it back up.

are they still spending big money?

End of my 3rd season and Newcastle just got relegated. Eddie Howe was sacked in season 2 and replaced by Mourinho, who has just taken them down to the Championship. Their problem seems to be a lack of investment in defence. From the middle of the pitch to the front they were pretty good but they never bought any solid DC or DM.

On 20/02/2022 at 02:16, jim owen said:

I'd have to check that later, my friend.

Currently 6:30am here (UK) and I've still not slept yet. Gonna try and get a few hours in and then I'll have a look for you.

On 20/02/2022 at 02:16, jim owen said:

The main thing that seems to have changed for them in my game is the wages. They're sending a little more in transfer fees, but not anything ridiculous given they are (or were!) an established Premier League team. They were paying a lot of players well over £!00k a week in my save when they eventually got relegated. James Ward-Prowse, for example, was signed from Southampton after the y were relegated in the first season. Cost around £40m and was on £155k a week. He's now transfer listed after they were relegated.

13 hours ago, Mike J said:

The main thing that seems to have changed for them in my game is the wages. They're sending a little more in transfer fees, but not anything ridiculous given they are (or were!) an established Premier League team. They were paying a lot of players well over £!00k a week in my save when they eventually got relegated. James Ward-Prowse, for example, was signed from Southampton after the y were relegated in the first season. Cost around £40m and was on £155k a week. He's now transfer listed after they were relegated.

You see in my save i expected them to stand out in wages, but they consistantly spend between toe 7th and 10th biggest wages in the premier devision, which is equally usually where they finish. No mad push to challenge the big 6

Mr. Jim Owen, sorry for being late with my update. However, I have the details you politely asked for. This is Newcastle spending across the save so far:

21/22 - £230m

22/23 - £0

23/24 - £52m

24/25 - £76m

25/26 - £625,000

26/27 - £94m

27/28 - £15.75m

28/29 - £44.5m

29/30 - £5.5m (just hit January, so this may increase)

Haven't added them exactly to the very penny, but I think it totals around £510m to £520m - and the best that has given them is 18th in the PL.

Edited by SMV90

12 hours ago, jim owen said:

You see in my save i expected them to stand out in wages, but they consistantly spend between toe 7th and 10th biggest wages in the premier devision, which is equally usually where they finish. No mad push to challenge the big 6

They're still around 7th or 8th in the wages table for me too, it's more that you see a change in their wage structure with the new signings. So they have their existing players on low-normal EPL contracts, almost always below £100k a week. Then their new signings like Isak and War-Prowse are on £150k or more. I think if Newcastle actually survived and got into the Champions League you'd see that wage bill go up a lot more as they would be able to sign higher rep players more easily. It just seems to be the case that they're consistently doing badly in most people's saves.

I wonder what the situation's like for people managing them? Does the wage budget eventually match the top 6? 

I’m playing as Newcastle on the Switch version. After the bumper transfer kitty at the start of the game, my board have been increasingly stingy:

season 1 - £200,000,000 transfer budget, finish 7th in PL

season 2 - £80,000,000 transfer budget, finish 3rd in PL, won EC2

season 3 - £60,000,000 transfer budget, finish 2nd in PL, CL semi finals

season 4 - ££22,000,000 transfer budget, currently top of league after 12 games 

I was expecting sugar daddy levels of spending, but it’s been far from it. I’ve had to generate a lot of cash through player sales, particularly last summer. 

I should add - wage budget wise things have been far more comfortable. I’ve got nearly £4,000,000 per week now in fourth season. 

Edited by pyeduke

On 23/02/2022 at 02:57, SMV90 said:

Mr. Jim Owen, sorry for being late with my update. However, I have the details you politely asked for. This is Newcastle spending across the save so far:

21/22 - £230m

22/23 - £0

23/24 - £52m

24/25 - £76m

25/26 - £625,000

26/27 - £94m

27/28 - £15.75m

28/29 - £44.5m

29/30 - £5.5m (just hit January, so this may increase)

Haven't added them exactly to the very penny, but I think it totals around £510m to £520m - and the best that has given them is 18th in the PL.

wow apart from a couple of seasons thats very low levels, certainly not richest club in the world levels

Newcastle is so much fun in Fm22, bought Vlahovic, Rice, Timber, Mancini,Ricci and Lodi (before winter update) and sold a bunch of crap. 442 direct counter or gegenpress is amazing. 
Wilson and Vlahovic is just crazy. I finished first after being 8th at christmas. Signed Haaland in the summer lol. Sold a bunch of crap. 

In my other saves they vary from 8th-16 usually, they just pay way to much for mediocre players, in my West Ham save they paid 78 mill for Soseck in the January window. In my Tottenham they paid 35 mill for Dier etc. Just throwing cash on players that dont make them better. Ps wtf is up with City always buying Santos, Gosens and Patrick Berg on EVERY save? Is it just for me?

Yeh they seem to bounce around midtable in my save. It kind of makes sense IMO, it's pretty clear they lack any sort of strategy IRL, their transfer policy was scattergun and the people running it don't seem to have much plan. When you look at City for example, their progress was relatively slow, took them a few years to start regularly champions league challenging and they were progressing from a sort of top 6-8 club anyway at that point under the previous owner, not a relegation threatened club, plus they appointed ex-Barcelona director of football to oversea their football operations and seemed to have a clear plan of what they wanted to do. Plus the PL is already a congested 'rich club' league, there is already the so called 'big 6' as it is, plus clubs like Villa and Everton spend big as well (badly IRL, but that usually means less in game) so it's not like suddenly City, Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. can't buy £50 million plus players and offer them £150k plus a week wages, and will offer them better managers, European football, higher chances of trophies etc., and clubs still like Villa, Everton, West Ham etc. can compete with Newcastle for the other players the big clubs don't go for and offer them similar wages as well, plus other clubs like Leicester, Southampton, have better scouting set ups, better facilities, youth set ups etc. so are more likely to find the undiscovered talent. Plus they often seem to be buying players from other PL clubs, over the odds, effectively allowing those PL clubs to go buy other talent at better value, but remain just as competitive.