Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

I'm watching it today because I'm utterly fascinated by this kind of thing.

I understand why people would rather not watch it for sure. I suspect some are surprised I'd be watching it. But just something about it all that I find so compelling in terms of the spectacle of it all.

Sort of where I am, not that bothered about the service, but the processions fascinate me. 

8 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

I wonder how long it will take the TV and media to return to 'normal', once today is done?

Mrs BG is watching (Sky News coverage)  - I'm booting up FM.

Everything outside BBC1 and ITV goes back to normal programming from 5:00 pm tonight. BBC1 is running the One Show and Paddington 2 after the funeral coverage, then has a one and a half hour long highlights show. Same with ITV (with no Paddington). Their programming returns to 'normal' at 6:00 am tomorrow with the breakfast shows.

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

The security for this must be insane. Would love to know what level of personnel have been deployed. You've got so many world leaders there that they've probably got armed officers as far as the eye can see

A fair few of the crowd will be ‘undercover’ I’d assume

7 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I live less than half a mile from my town’s church and the damn bell has been ringing for 2 or 3 minutes non-stop. Wtf is going on?!

Apparently a 96 year old great grand mum passed away?

update - more seriously Hum said that bells will toil every minute for the 96 years of her life.

Edited by hardeepR

If you believe the media etc there are also a load of SAS in the near area ready to act. But yes there will be a huge number of police both uniform and non uniform plus military in and out of uniform (mostly in but i bet there will be some out of uniform) on top of the secret service and Israeli lot covering there two high profile clients.

I usually watch these sort of things for the spectacle and the historic oldness of the way things have always been done.

I wonder how much input @SouthCoastRed had into the various ancient traditions the UK have. Lord Mayor's show is always a good one for historical weirdness.

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

All these partial royals….where the hell is Fergie ffs

She’s there!

I don’t wish to be unfair to her but.. she looked so out of place at the back of the queue of grandchildren. If I didn’t know who she was I’d thinking be who’s that?

Edited by hardeepR

20 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I might watch House of the Dragon instead. Or Babestation….

Sorry mate but your missus is an idiot :D 

Its one thing not being bothered about the royal funeral but why would you voluntarily go into central London at that time?!

Because her mother summoned her. She's an idiot, I know we only live under an hour away but come on, I'm going to be surrounded by flag wavers. Gonna wear some green to feel slightly better.

14 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

I'm watching it today because I'm utterly fascinated by this kind of thing.

I understand why people would rather not watch it for sure. I suspect some are surprised I'd be watching it. But just something about it all that I find so compelling in terms of the spectacle of it all.

It's a moment in history, gotta watch.

1 minute ago, hardeepR said:

She’s there!

I don’t wish to be unfair to her but.. she looked so out of place at the back of the queue of grandchildren. If I didn’t know who she was I’d thinking who’s that?

Dam I missed the old ginger fox

13 minutes ago, hardeepR said:

Apparently a 96 year old great grand mum passed away?

update - more seriously Hum said that bells will toil every minute for the 96 years of her life.

I would have thought the people interested in giving up their morning to roll some bells for the Queen’s funeral are the exact people that would want to watch the whole thing on TV. Stop pulling those ropes and go home ffs!

(they’re still ringing now)

4 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Because her mother summoned her. She's an idiot, I know we only live under an hour away but come on, I'm going to be surrounded by flag wavers. Gonna wear some green to feel slightly better.

Can you not just go to each other’s houses, where you can at least get a cup of tea when you want one?

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Yeah, also BBC kept cutting away to interview some talking head, ITV seem to be just the pictures which is all I want.

Huw has said once the procession starts there won’t be any comms out of respect. Pointed people to the BBC website if they want to know who’s who.

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

This. This is a day of ages, loath it or not, from a historical viewpoint, you should watch

I've been to enough funerals in my life without watching one for someone I don't know :D 

I do get why people are watching though, the event itself is a spectacle and the likes of which we never see so I've kinda got it on in the background 

4 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Can you not just go to each other’s houses, where you can at least get a cup of tea when you want one?

These lot don't work logically like that. Ah well, if I get seen on camera, I'm the moody looking **** with the hyper 3 year old.

29 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

The security for this must be insane. Would love to know what level of personnel have been deployed. You've got so many world leaders there that they've probably got armed officers as far as the eye can see

Virtually every level. even MI5 have field agents deployment. Snipers on the roofs. There's a rapid response chopper with armed police. Military deployed too. 

Big question is what will the viewing figures end up at.

1 is World Cup 66 (32.4 mill) and 2 is Diana's funeral (32.1 mill) on the all time list. Diana's worldwide figure was estimated at 2-2.5 billion.

Worldwide one I can see being beaten and being even with the early start for the US. National one too but prob not by a lot.

Also why did Mike TIndall have medals on? I assume he got some from being married into the Family now?

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Big question is what will the viewing figures end up at.

1 is World Cup 66 (32.4 mill) and 2 is Diana's funeral (32.1 mill) on the all time list. Diana's worldwide figure was estimated at 2-2.5 billion.

Worldwide one I can see being beaten and being even with the early start for the US. National one too but prob not by a lot.

Also why did Mike TIndall have medals on? I assume he got some from being married into the Family now?

Tindal has an MBE, Platinum and Diamond Jubilee medals.

I’d be wary of paying much attention to estimated worldwide TV figures - eg 2B -  for anything. All they tend to do is add together the potential viewers in each market.

I’d be a bit surprised if the UK figure beats the 32.1M for Diana’s funeral because we’re a bit more fractured as a society and more pertinently there are other things to watch and do.