FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Dear @Smurf and all,

I'm considering a new gaming laptop that could run fast enough for the next five years. I'm not on a strict budget but don't want a top-shelf machines either. I reside in the US. 

Would you please be so kind to share your thoughts on these three models, thinking not only of current FM23 but future versions as well. Which one is the best, to run FM the fastest? Thank you.

ASUS 17.3" ROG Strix G17 Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX - GeForce RTX 3070Ti - 2560 x 1440:

https://www.costco.com/asus-17.3"-rog-strix-g17-laptop---amd-ryzen-9-6900hx---geforce-rtx-3070ti---2560-x-1440---windows-11.product.4000027921.html

Alienware - m17 R5 17.3" 360Hz FHD Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti - 1TB SSD - Dark Side of the Moon

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-m17-r5-17-3-360hz-fhd-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-1tb-ssd-dark-side-of-the-moon/6510325.p?skuId=6510325

GIGABYTE - AORUS 17.3" FHD Laptop -Intel i7-13700H - 16GB DDR5 - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4080 - 1TB SSD

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-aorus-17-3-fhd-laptop-intel-i7-13700h-16gb-ddr5-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-1tb-ssd/6534204.p?skuId=6534204

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@phd_angel The 2 Ryzen ones have the same processor, however the intel one is a bit faster and has a better gpu, so overall it seems the best choice. I don't know however if the DDR5 memory will be an issue in running the game (I'd guess not, but not sure, someone else might comment on that).

12 hours ago, Poison said:

@phd_angel The 2 Ryzen ones have the same processor, however the intel one is a bit faster and has a better gpu, so overall it seems the best choice. I don't know however if the DDR5 memory will be an issue in running the game (I'd guess not, but not sure, someone else might comment on that).

Thanks, @Poison. Good catch on DDR5, and would love to learn more why it could be an issue...

My mind gravitated more toward graphic card, whether NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 is overkill (My current GTX 1010 still does a very decent job).

PS: BTW, this is my current four-year old machine: Alienware 17 R5. Intel i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz, 6 Core (12 CPUs). 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1010, dual drive (solid + dynamic).

Edited by phd_angel

20 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Thanks, @Poison. Good catch on DDR5, and would love to learn more why it could be an issue...

Well I was thinking it might be plain incompatible, however I'm 99,9% sure it's not the case, RAM is RAM, the game should run flawlessly with DDR5. Regarding the GPU, well it almost costs the same and has a better processor (which is our main concern), whether the GPU is an overkill it shouldn't really matter, consider it a bonus? You may want to play something different, more demanding, you never know.

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

Hidden a couple of posts. If anyone is in a spot where they don't want to offer their feedback on options... Just don't. No need to take it anywhere else. 

Fair enough.  But given previous comments in the post, which only stopped once a developer came in and pointed out he was wrong, I'm a bit surprised he came back in here asking for our advice.  I won't say any more than that but felt I needed to say my piece in the circumstances.

Hi guys quick one here,ive just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB but im still not 100% sure if this is going to make a diffrence whilst playing FM,included is my laptop specs can someone advise me of what notable diffrence i would see if any?

Thanks.DxDiag.txt

4 hours ago, steff91 said:

Hi guys quick one here,ive just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB but im still not 100% sure if this is going to make a diffrence whilst playing FM,included is my laptop specs can someone advise me of what notable diffrence i would see if any?

Thanks.DxDiag.txt

For FM it will make a negligible, or perhaps no difference. If you have the option to upgrade your processor that would be a much better place to spend money.

Edit: duh, of course you can't upgrade the processor on a laptop. Just save the money for a new laptop in the future.

Edited by Gangor
failure to read the OP properly

My old laptop is on its way out so looking to get a new one. Only really use it for FM, casual web browsing, occasionally watching Netflix, YouTube & some basic Microsoft office bits (word, excel etc.) I don’t usually have multiple programs open at once.

I have a budget of around £550.

Having looked around & from previous posts of a similar budget I’ve found these 3:

1.     https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1974441?clickPR=plp:1:58

2.     https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-m1502ia-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10241281.html

3.     https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=6P0V0EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#technical-details

Number 3 – I can also get at an extra 10% off (making it £75 cheaper than the others) but it does come with a smaller screen.

What do you think is the best option for the money?

Is it worth spending the extra £75 on 1 or 2?

Or is there a better option out there that I’m missing?

Thanks for the help

2 hours ago, Geniuslew32 said:

My old laptop is on its way out so looking to get a new one. Only really use it for FM, casual web browsing, occasionally watching Netflix, YouTube & some basic Microsoft office bits (word, excel etc.) I don’t usually have multiple programs open at once.

I have a budget of around £550.

Having looked around & from previous posts of a similar budget I’ve found these 3:

1.     https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1974441?clickPR=plp:1:58

2.     https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-m1502ia-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10241281.html

3.     https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=6P0V0EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB#technical-details

Number 3 – I can also get at an extra 10% off (making it £75 cheaper than the others) but it does come with a smaller screen.

What do you think is the best option for the money?

Is it worth spending the extra £75 on 1 or 2?

Or is there a better option out there that I’m missing?

Thanks for the help

Here's the CPU comparison from https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html?image.thumb.png.0c75b2e6fb2f7fa7ffe21fe145dac780.png

Although it ranks the first one highest, the placing is very close and I'd probably be inclined to go for the second one as it has more cores and threads and the multi-core benchmarks are higher.

This site also backs up my thought on going for the second one: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600H/m1032976vsm1522632

Edited by kevhamster

2 hours ago, turgi said:

Any chance to get a decent laptop under 600 aussie dollars?

You can get laptops in that price bracket, but if you can save up a bit more then you can get a whole lot more for your money at the $900-$1000 price point. If you can't wait, look out for "Intel i3" or "AMD Ryzen 3" branding - laptops with the most budget CPUs in these ranges will do a lot better than the alternative Pentium, Celeron and Athlon options and should just about squeeze into this price point.

As a left field option, if all you're doing is playing FM (and perhaps other games) and you can get your hands on one (they aren't currently available officially in Australia), the Steam Deck is worth considering. AU$600 is about what it costs for a basic one (from Valve that is), and it will perform at least as well as any laptop in that price range.

32 minutes ago, Gangor said:

You can get laptops in that price bracket, but if you can save up a bit more then you can get a whole lot more for your money at the $900-$1000 price point. If you can't wait, look out for "Intel i3" or "AMD Ryzen 3" branding - laptops with the most budget CPUs in these ranges will do a lot better than the alternative Pentium, Celeron and Athlon options and should just about squeeze into this price point.

As a left field option, if all you're doing is playing FM (and perhaps other games) and you can get your hands on one (they aren't currently available officially in Australia), the Steam Deck is worth considering. AU$600 is about what it costs for a basic one (from Valve that is), and it will perform at least as well as any laptop in that price range.

@turgi I'd agree with the above.  Looking at the Aussie stores I know, I couldn't really find anything I'd recommend at that price range.

1 hour ago, turgi said:

Cheers guys, that might need to wait a bit.

I looked at the Harvey Normal and JB Hifi sites, which are the Australian sites I know that sell, as well as Amazon Australia and pretty much all of the ones I've seen are ones with Celeron processors which I honestly would avoid at all costs as they're frankly terrible and you will not have a good experience playing FM on them.

Let me know of any other sites that I could look at - being from the UK, I'm not massively familiar with the sites that you can buy computers from in Australia.  

Harvey Normal is a funny typo.

There are few more stores but the prices are pretty much the same all around.

I know a $1000 laptop would be great but currently have better things to spend my money on.

Thanks anyway for trying!

11 hours ago, turgi said:

I know a $1000 laptop would be great but currently have better things to spend my money on.

https://www.megabuy.com.au/acer-aspire-5-15-fhd-ryzen-5-256gb-laptop-p1274721.html

Found this one, which is a refurbished laptop with a 12 month warranty.  Would offer a much better performance than the Celerons you get for new in the price range.

Hi!

Time for me to spend money on a new laptop. I've had Dell before. Considering continuing with Dell Latitude or try a Macbook Air, M1. 

If I decide to go for the Macbook Air, M1. 

1. Is it then necessary to upgrade to 16GB RAM? Does it make a big difference playing FM23?

2. How many leagues would you say I choose from when I set-up a new save? I have no idea, so I would be grateful if someone could tell me.

3. I realized that this machine doesn't have a fan? Correct? Sorry if I'm a novice, but will there not be any noise then? Will it get hot during games?

4. For those of you who have a Macbook Air, M1. How would you describe you game experience with this machine?

Thanks, Anders from Sweden

Edited by MrMourinho

15 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

Hi!

Time for me to spend money on a new laptop. I've had Dell before. Considering continuing with Dell Latitude or try a Macbook Air, M1. 

1. Is it then necessary to upgrade to 16GB RAM? Does it make a big difference playing FM23?

2. How many leagues would you say I choose from when I set-up a new save? I have no idea, so I would be grateful if someone could tell me.

3. I realized that this machine doesn't have a fan? Correct? Sorry if I'm a novice, but will there not be any noise then? Will it get hot during games?

4. For those of you who have a Macbook Air, M1. How would you describe you game experience with this machine?

Yep, no fan so no noise. Yes, it gets warm. But that's how the Laptop works with no fan, it vents the heat around the machine. Thats the trade off. 

It's really mostly is just the top of the laptop above the keyboard that gets hot to the touch. 

Number of leagues depends on what type of game you want really. for 22 and 23 I was loading over 20 leagues. No issues worked fine. 

Had a perfect experience playing FM on Mac, since I switched over from PC for FM 22. 

58 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

Hi!

The general advice with a Macbook is to go for the best one you can afford as you can't upgrade anything on it once you've chosen which one you're going for.

16GB RAM isn't necessary for any purpose currently when it comes to FM, but it may be for other things potentially.

28 minutes ago, Zapoleon said:

Yep, no fan so no noise. Yes, it gets warm. But that's how the Laptop works with no fan, it vents the heat around the machine. Thats the trade off. 

It's really mostly is just the top of the laptop above the keyboard that gets hot to the touch. 

Number of leagues depends on what type of game you want really. for 22 and 23 I was loading over 20 leagues. No issues worked fine. 

Had a perfect experience playing FM on Mac, since I switched over from PC for FM 22. 

Sounds great. I've got two more questions for you:

1. When you played with about 20 leagues, what star rating did FM give you when setting up your save?

2. Do you experience that the 13,3" screen is too small for playing FM? Do you think I should go for a 15" instead? I like it when it's handy, but just curious if I would find the screen too small.

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The general advice with a Macbook is to go for the best one you can afford as you can't upgrade anything on it once you've chosen which one you're going for.

16GB RAM isn't necessary for any purpose currently when it comes to FM, but it may be for other things potentially.

Thanks! I read about that too. I plan to use the new computer at least 3-5 years. I plan to you see as I browse the web, watch films, play FM of course and do some writing on it.

I was also thinking of the Dell XPS 13, it has the same screen size, but a little cheaper, but seems to be a solid computer.

10 hours ago, MrMourinho said:

Thanks! I read about that too. I plan to use the new computer at least 3-5 years. I plan to you see as I browse the web, watch films, play FM of course and do some writing on it.

I was also thinking of the Dell XPS 13, it has the same screen size, but a little cheaper, but seems to be a solid computer.

The XPS 13 is a range as opposed to a single machine, so there are various versions of it with differing specs.  Which spec were you thinking of?  Best to provide a link if you can.

Edited by kevhamster

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

The XPS 13 is a range as opposed to a single machine, so there are various versions of it with differing specs.  Which spec were you thinking of?  Best to provide a link if you can.

I was thinking of 16gb ram, 512gb storage, i7processor with 11th or 12th generation I think, but it will probably be a Macbook air.

2 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

I was thinking of 16gb ram, 512gb storage, i7processor with 11th or 12th generation I think, but it will probably be a Macbook air.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? 

See below for how the above benchmarking site scores the two 12th gen i7's available in XPS 13's against the M1 and M2 Apple CPU's.

image.thumb.png.a830db212de590fc577829c088dfe3c4.png

While browsing the web yesterday and today and watching tons of reviews on youtube especially about the Macbook Air M1, I definetly lean towards that machine.

It would have been great if there was an opportunity to read from several users that have played on Macbook Air with M1 or M2. Easy then to get an opinion.

I have just two worries:

1) Is the screen on Macbook Air enough? Or will it feel too small?

I have recently played on a Dell Latitude at work and it had 14" inch screen and I was fine with it. Right now, I have bought a Lenovo Idea pad PRO 16" and testing it. It is certainly a great laptop with a fantastic screen and lots of power in it. Still, for my needs, I think I would more appreciate a smaller and more comfortable laptop to have in the sofa or bed.

2) Still, a little bit unsure about if 16gb of ram is enough? I will probably never work with any heavy editing since I'm not into that. 

Will 8gb be enough in my laptop in 3-4 years time? Everything with our computer seems getting stronger and need more resources and power.

Will 8gb on a macbook air m1 be able to run 20-25 leagues on Football Manager smoothly with a large database? Often my preference.

Should I get Macbook air m2?

I would be grateful for a lot of input and to hear your thoughts about it.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? 

See below for how the above benchmarking site scores the two 12th gen i7's available in XPS 13's against the M1 and M2 Apple CPU's.

image.thumb.png.a830db212de590fc577829c088dfe3c4.png

Ok, I am not familiar with these charts. It was the last one at the bottom I looked at. Which is stronger out of these two then? The Macbook Air M1?

1 hour ago, MrMourinho said:

Ok, I am not familiar with these charts. It was the last one at the bottom I looked at. Which is stronger out of these two then? The Macbook Air M1?

Based on that site, the M1 would be the stronger overall, although not in all tests and it's close.

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i7-1250u-vs-apple-m1 That site also gives the M1 the edge.  Again, it's close.

So, it does seem to me the performance is similar, but with the Apple CPU just edging it.

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Based on that site, the M1 would be the stronger overall, although not in all tests and it's close.

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i7-1250u-vs-apple-m1 That site also gives the M1 the edge.  Again, it's close.

So, it does seem to me the performance is similar, but with the Apple CPU just edging it.

Thanks, good to know! I will give it a few days more before I make up my mind.

Edited by MrMourinho

23 hours ago, MrMourinho said:

Sounds great. I've got two more questions for you:

1. When you played with about 20 leagues, what star rating did FM give you when setting up your save?

2. Do you experience that the 13,3" screen is too small for playing FM? Do you think I should go for a 15" instead? I like it when it's handy, but just curious if I would find the screen too small.

3.5 stars. That’s with custom lower leagues though. I went deep decades into saves though had no issues. 

Yeah, that is one downside the screen is too small.   Often, I use a HDMI cable to project it on to a computer screen I have so that negates it.   

My old windows laptop was 15" and going down to 13" is a big drop down. So I would defo say get the 15.

8 hours ago, Zapoleon said:

3.5 stars. That’s with custom lower leagues though. I went deep decades into saves though had no issues. 

Yeah, that is one downside the screen is too small.   Often, I use a HDMI cable to project it on to a computer screen I have so that negates it.   

My old windows laptop was 15" and going down to 13" is a big drop down. So I would defo say get the 15.

In-game star ratings mean very little - I don't know why they bother using them at all. 

It can be reliant on other things, like if you haven't rebooted your computer in a while or using other intensive processes in the background. 

Three quick questions:

If I have to stick with the base model Macbook Air M1. How big difference will it make in FM 23 if I have 8gb ram instead of 16gb ram? (number of leagues I can run, processing time). 

I am a bit unsure if the screen will feel too small. I'm thinking of buying an external screen. Any recommendations regarding an affordable screen to play FM on and among other things?

I will probably buy the Macbook Air M1 tomorrow and I'm allowed to test the computer carefully for 30 days before making up my mind. Will I have time to see how the machine runs or will eventual problems show up later when I have filled the computer with stuff?

2 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

Three quick questions:

If I have to stick with the base model Macbook Air M1. How big difference will it make in FM 23 if I have 8gb ram instead of 16gb ram? (number of leagues I can run, processing time). 

I am a bit unsure if the screen will feel too small. I'm thinking of buying an external screen. Any recommendations regarding an affordable screen to play FM on and among other things?

I will probably buy the Macbook Air M1 tomorrow and I'm allowed to test the computer carefully for 30 days before making up my mind. Will I have time to see how the machine runs or will eventual problems show up later when I have filled the computer with stuff?

1) Zero difference.

2) You've not defined a budget, the size of the screen you want, whether you're thinking of a TV or computer monitor, and what those other things are.  Doesn't really give us anything to go on, and to be honest displays isn't really my own area of expertise in any case.  In theory any TV or monitor would work but you'd ideally want the resolution to match that of your base display.

3) Problems can arise with computers at any time for a number of different reasons.  In reality, 30 days should give you plenty of time to see how the computer works for you, but things can change as parts degrade and such like, but that sort of issue shouldn't crop up soon after purchase as long as the computer is handled correctly and not dropped etc.

23 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

1) Zero difference.

2) You've not defined a budget, the size of the screen you want, whether you're thinking of a TV or computer monitor, and what those other things are.  Doesn't really give us anything to go on, and to be honest displays isn't really my own area of expertise in any case.  In theory any TV or monitor would work but you'd ideally want the resolution to match that of your base display.

3) Problems can arise with computers at any time for a number of different reasons.  In reality, 30 days should give you plenty of time to see how the computer works for you, but things can change as parts degrade and such like, but that sort of issue shouldn't crop up soon after purchase as long as the computer is handled correctly and not dropped etc.

Excellent! Maybe a computer monitor for around £200-250. I don't know if that's enough to get a good one.

5 hours ago, MrMourinho said:

Excellent! Maybe a computer monitor for around £200-250. I don't know if that's enough to get a good one.

You'll certainly be able to get a 1080p monitor, 1440p and 4k will be out of the question though.  

Assuming you're in the UK, take a look at Ebuyer and see what sort of things are there.

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Monitors?_sgm_campaign=scn_8766bc34ac000&_sgm_source=Monitors&_sgm_action=promotion

5 hours ago, MrMourinho said:

You'll certainly be able to get a 1080p monitor, 1440p and 4k will be out of the question though.  

Assuming you're in the UK, take a look at Ebuyer and see what sort of things are there.

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Monitors?_sgm_campaign=scn_8766bc34ac000&_sgm_source=Monitors&_sgm_action=promotion

10 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'm actually from Sweden so have to look elsewhere. Do you recommend to pay a little extra to get a better monitor? Do the resolution I will have on the Mac Air sync with the display? I am totally lost here.. :)

8 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

I'm actually from Sweden so have to look elsewhere. Do you recommend to pay a little extra to get a better monitor? Do the resolution I will have on the Mac Air sync with the display? I am totally lost here.. :)

You're probably better off asking in the dedicated Mac threads.  I don't know the ins and outs of how Apple devices work with external displays and I don't want to give you wrong info.

16 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

You're probably better off asking in the dedicated Mac threads.  I don't know the ins and outs of how Apple devices work with external displays and I don't want to give you wrong info.

Ok, I understand. Thanks for all the help you guys are offering. Appreciate it a lot!

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone was playing FM on a Microsoft Surface Pro 9 and how you were finding it? Or if this would run FM 23.

I currently have a gaming laptop but with 3 kids and a dog jumping all over the place lugging that around and getting it out is becoming impractical so was thinking of something a bit more portable.

Thanks for any advice 

47 minutes ago, Lukecr1 said:

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone was playing FM on a Microsoft Surface Pro 9 and how you were finding it? Or if this would run FM 23.

I currently have a gaming laptop but with 3 kids and a dog jumping all over the place lugging that around and getting it out is becoming impractical so was thinking of something a bit more portable.

Thanks for any advice 

There are various versions of it with varying specs.  Did you have your eye on one in particular?  If so, please supply a link for the specific one you're looking at.

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

There are various versions of it with varying specs.  Did you have your eye on one in particular?  If so, please supply a link for the specific one you're looking at.

Thank you, I think it would be this one https://www.technoworld.com/microsoft-surface-pro-9-128-gb-33-cm-13-intel-core™-i5-8-gb-wi-fi-6e-802-11ax-windows-10-pro-platinum-s1p-00003

I was looking at it on EE but the full specs are unclear 

2 hours ago, Lukecr1 said:

Thank you, I think it would be this one https://www.technoworld.com/microsoft-surface-pro-9-128-gb-33-cm-13-intel-core™-i5-8-gb-wi-fi-6e-802-11ax-windows-10-pro-platinum-s1p-00003

I was looking at it on EE but the full specs are unclear 

It would be absolutely fine, although this may be one to consider: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-yoga-6-13.3-2-in-1-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10239685.html

The CPU scores higher on https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? and it seems to be a similar style device in many ways.

8 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It would be absolutely fine, although this may be one to consider: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-yoga-6-13.3-2-in-1-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10239685.html

The CPU scores higher on https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? and it seems to be a similar style device in many ways.

Great, thank you

Much appreciated.

Would either of these options be able to play the matches in 3d without too much lag? 

I dont tend to load a huge database with around 8 nations and 14 leagues on large db setting

Thanks 

On 21/03/2023 at 16:26, MrMourinho said:

Three quick questions:

On 21/03/2023 at 16:33, kevhamster said:

1) Zero difference.

16gb would be better and ram plays a part in some parts of the game.

Longevity dictates more ram now the better.

There's not upgrade options for Mac. What you buy is what you are stuck with. 

9 hours ago, Lukecr1 said:

Hi guys

Thanks for any advice 

Have you considered the Steam Deck? 

On 15/03/2023 at 08:54, 3maldini3 said:

Id only buy a laptop from either Centrecom or Scorptec or even Mwave. I would stay away from Harvey Norman. JB is ok, but the variety you'll get at Centrecom or Scorptec is unrivaled. And there are a lot of gaming laptops you can get for under $1k.