FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

47 minutes ago, Gangor said:

As far as I can see the Ryzen processor is going to be more performant (and possibly more power efficient if you're away from the wall). That's hardly surprising because it's newer and has more cores. On the other hand, a "new" laptop ought to have a longer warranty and you won't have issues like a partly worn out battery. 

Thanks, Gangor. I've taken the risk and gone with the refurb.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, goosey3131 said:

If you're happy to go for a refurb model then the Ryzen 7 here is a stronger CPU.

13 minutes ago, steff91 said:

Hi guys

how many leagues and nations,player count,could i load in when setting up my new save

Ive included my dxdiag here as well..

Thanks in advance.

DxDiag.txt 118.06 kB · 0 downloads

As per the OP, we don't comment on how many leagues etc you can run with a specific setup, as how acceptable the processing speed is would be completely subjective.

Try the benchmark tests in the thread below and see how your setup compares with others and then perhaps judge it from there.

58 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Both are good deals for the spec.  If you can afford the extra £300 then it looks a good shout to me.

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I've put the first one into PC Partpicker and it's about a 10% premium over buying the parts on Amazon and building the thing yourself. I reckon that's fair but not a bargain. The second seems a similar value. One thing I do note is that they both use comparatively slow 5600 MT/s memory. If you have the option to choose faster memory it will make a noticeable (well if you were doing a benchmark or something) difference, especially with AMD processors. 

Edit: Oh, and for general gaming AMD just released the Ryzen 7 7800X3D which is significantly faster in most gaming applications than what you have selected here. Might be worth a look, especially if you're already considering the 7900x which would cost about the same. 

Edited by Gangor

33 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Both are good deals for the spec.  If you can afford the extra £300 then it looks a good shout to me.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Gangor said:

I've put the first one into PC Partpicker and it's about a 10% premium over buying the parts on Amazon and building the thing yourself. I reckon that's fair but not a bargain. The second seems a similar value. One thing I do note is that they both use comparatively slow 5600 MT/s memory. If you have the option to choose faster memory it will make a noticeable (well if you were doing a benchmark or something) difference, especially with AMD processors. 

Edit: Oh, and for general gaming AMD just released the Ryzen 7 7800X3D which is significantly faster in most gaming applications than what you have selected here. Might be worth a look, especially if you're already considering the 7900x which would cost about the same. 

Isn't 5600mhz C36 decent? There's an option for 6200mhz C36 on the second one, it's £37 more.

I'm more concerned at how fast the CPU is for FM, and going by the benchmark results on here, the 7900x is faster than the 7800X3D for FM. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

46 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Thanks.

Isn't 5600mhz C36 decent? There's an option for 6200mhz C36 on the second one, it's £37 more.

I'm more concerned at how fast the CPU is for FM, and going by the benchmark results on here, the 7900x is faster than the 7800X3D for FM. 

It's not the slowest, but from what I've seen faster memory is worth it within reason, and that's not unreasonable. 

On 21/09/2022 at 16:59, jamesdenson1997 said:

Sorry to bother you again. Been finding the laptop is really jittery when playing FM. Legion 5(AMD Ryzen 7 5700H, NVIDIA 360 RTX)  Not sure what's causing it and its making me fall out of love with the game. laptop set to performance mode and still finding it jitters in the 3D engine(Probably frame rate). Am I better off selling the laptop and getting something with less/similar specs which I hope would run the game better as I think its cost me too much money for not the results I wanted. Happy to message directly if anyone can help

Thanks James

Hi all. Update to this I’ve sold the Lenovo and am on the hunt for a new laptop. Seen the M2 pro outperform most gaming laptops on FM and was thinking of moving to the MacOS. Budget will stretch with 20% off employee discount from my work. Other 2k alternatives welcome but if I can find something that maxes performance, smooth graphics at all times and is quiet I’ll be happy. Got non of these out of the Lenovo Legion 5i

2 hours ago, timtower said:

Hi all, how does this look? Only looking to play FM and other simple tasks like YT and Spotify

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1974441?clickPR=plp:1:58

Any other recommendations for under £700? Preferably from Amazon, Argos or Currys. Thank you in advance

That's pretty decent for FM. It's last years CPU but still performs very well. What's particularly good about this laptop is that it uses a higher power "H" processor but you don't have to pay for a discrete GPU as well. 

2 hours ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

Hi all. Update to this I’ve sold the Lenovo and am on the hunt for a new laptop. Seen the M2 pro outperform most gaming laptops on FM and was thinking of moving to the MacOS. Budget will stretch with 20% off employee discount from my work. Other 2k alternatives welcome but if I can find something that maxes performance, smooth graphics at all times and is quiet I’ll be happy. Got non of these out of the Lenovo Legion 5i

Mac M2 would be fantastic, but they are pricey. If you only want it for FM and can afford to pay, go for it. No x86 processor can give you the combination of processing power and efficiency. 

6 hours ago, Gangor said:

Mac M2 would be fantastic, but they are pricey. If you only want it for FM and can afford to pay, go for it. No x86 processor can give you the combination of processing power and efficiency. 

Cheers. Just a bit wary of the GPU. Is that good enough to run FM smoothly? Or is it just about the processor 

12 hours ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

Cheers. Just a bit wary of the GPU. Is that good enough to run FM smoothly? Or is it just about the processor 

The iGPU on the M2 is more than sufficient for FM. The i7 machine is more powerful than the m2, but it also uses a lot more power. You'd need to read or see a product review to be sure, but given the higher power consumption I'd suspect the i7 machine would be noisier. 

I'm looking for a laptop with good processing to support multiple leagues loaded on FM, but also light on weight and with good battery life. Gaming will be exclusively FM as other games I play on consoles. No other heavy duty usual tasks apart from FM. Usual stuff text, spreadsheets, music library, streaming.

If possible recommendations from this website would be appreciated.

No budget limitations.

Edited by kingjericho

29 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

I'm looking for a laptop with good processing to support multiple leagues loaded on FM, but also light on weight and with good battery life. Gaming will be exclusively FM as other games I play on consoles. No other heavy duty usual tasks apart from FM. Usual stuff text, spreadsheets, music library, streaming.

No budget limitations.

Not particularly familiar with Zenbooks but the specs for this seem to fit your needs:

https://www.worten.pt/produtos/portatil-asus-zenbook-um3402ya-r75aohdpb1-14-amd-ryzen-7-5825u-ram-16-gb-1-tb-ssd-amd-radeon-graphics-7599696

Note the OLED will look nice, but might be an issue as they can tend to burn in UI elements over time if you're not careful.

This might also be an option, without an OLED screen. I would expect it to be less premium in its build quality. The battery is also much smaller - half the size.

https://www.worten.pt/produtos/portatil-asus-m515ua-r75alhdsb1-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-5700u-ram-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-amd-radeon-graphics-7735133

I've looked through the rest of the R7/i7 (i9 just uses more power with no better performance on mobile, R5/i5 seems less premium than you're going for with "no budget limitations") and none of the rest fit. There are only a few i7s that have 15w processors and those have 8gb of RAM which really isn't enough, especially if you're dealing with large FM databases or spreadsheets. 

Edited by Gangor

6 hours ago, kingjericho said:

No budget limitations.

Good suggestions from @Gangor

Not really sure how thin/light these are:

FM isn't really a graphical game - so I'd say this would suit your needs
https://www.worten.pt/produtos/portatil-asus-vivobook-s513ep-71am3sb3-15-6-intel-core-i7-1165g7-ram-16-gb-1-tb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-mx330-7619600

https://www.worten.pt/produtos/portatil-huawei-matebook-16s-curief-w9611t-16-intel-evo-core-i9-12900h-ram-16-gb-1-tb-ssd-intel-iris-xe-graphics-7614321

If the budget is unlimited then thin and light will only get you so far in terms of specs - as the thin and light computers are designed for long term use off battery - so the parts are usually geared towards throttling speed to preserve power. 

FM is a processing game - and if you throttle the processor to lower speeds you get less from it. 

Is there anything else you can tell us about your needs?

@Gangor and @Smurf thanks a lor for your feedback, you definitely mentioned some things I will look for.

10 hours ago, Smurf said:

Is there anything else you can tell us about your needs?

Basically I use my laptop for low demanding everyday tasks - except when playing FM. That's why I'm looking for a lightweight that can last a long time on battery, for train/plane rides to watch movies.

But also still be able to withstand a long term FM career with a big database, even if I only play FM at home so I have the charger plugged in.

In terms of GPU from what I've read the Iris Xe is enough for FM so I was looking to avoid the weight , battery, and prices of gaming laptops.

Edited by kingjericho

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

@Gangor and @Smurf thanks a lor for your feedback, you definitely mentioned some things I will look for.

Basically I use my laptop for low demanding everyday tasks - except when playing FM. That's why I'm looking for a lightweight that can last a long time on battery, for train/plane rides to watch movies.

But also still be able to withstand a long term FM career with a big database, even if I only play FM at home so I have the charger plugged in.

In terms of GPU from what I've read the Iris Xe is enough for FM so I was looking to avoid the weight , battery, and prices of gaming laptops.

No gaming processor - that is, one with a model number ending in 'H' is going to provide brilliant battery life, though some might manage 4-5 hours or so. Depending on the size of the battery and software optimisations, 'U' processors could be expected to last perhaps 8-10 hours or in some cases longer. Currently AMD processors seem to have the advantage in efficiency, especially Ryzen 6000.

You're quite right, Iris Xe is going to be fine for FM, though the iGPU in AMD CPUs is significantly more powerful and would ensure you don't need to turn down any settings. 

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

@kingjericho For long-term off plug Macs are pretty reliable would you consider an Apple mac as your budget is unlimited. 

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/all-day-strong-longest-lasting-notebooks

Not considering Mac at the moment, thanks. In terms of integrated graphics drivers, which ones other than the Iris Xe are good enough to run FM smoothly?

Also something that would allow a digital pen would be a plus.

Edited by kingjericho

2 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Not considering Mac at the moment, thanks. In terms of integrated graphics drivers, which ones other than the Iris Xe are good enough to run FM smoothly?

Also something that would allow a digital pen would be a plus.

Any i7/Ryzen 7 processor from the last couple of years (12th gen+/5000+) will be fine. Lower down the product stack the iGPUs can be cut down, but at this level you should be fine. Mac M1/M2 also has a very capable iGPU and so long as Mac versions exist for the software you need to use, it bears serious consideration. 

As for digital pens, I'm not too knowledgeable, but my understanding is that generally laptops will be designed specifically for them, so your choices may be more limited. It might be worth checking out the websites of the various laptop manufacturers so you're not just seeing the mass market range at a retailer. 

4 minutes ago, bazaod said:

https://www.box.co.uk/NBCB15716-2-Horizon-Skyline-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-5_4319482.html

Is this decent for the price? Would primarily be used for FM, general internet browsing and maybe some other light gaming

If not what should I be looking for? Budget of around £800 but could stretch to a bit more 

The GPU is a very weak one (though still perfectly fine for FM), but the processor is capable. This laptop would be excellent for FM, good for general internet browsing (as long as you're not planning to be away from a wall plug) and possibly okay for some other light gaming, depending on the games and your performance expectations. In terms of gaming laptops this is about as good as you can expect at this budget. Choosing a non-gaming laptop isn't going to get you better performance (it would be worse), though portability would be better if that matters to you.

Thank you, not essential to buy right now so just looking at options.

I’m not even sure I’d do any other even light gaming on it but the option would be nice but not essential

Edited by bazaod

12 hours ago, bishydoodah99 said:

The Ryzen 6000 series is a lot more efficient than the Intel 12th gen processors. This might not sound important for a laptop you're probably going to be using plugged in, but it will affect the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated therefore the speed the fans have to spin and the sound that they make. If you listen to music on a headset while gaming that might not matter but otherwise it's going to have a noticible impact on your gaming experience. 

Having said this, both of these seem decent value and either would perform admirably for FM. If you're only playing FM the 3050 is more than sufficient if you want to save a bit more.

On 13/04/2023 at 21:25, jamesdenson1997 said:

On 14/04/2023 at 07:56, jamesdenson1997 said:

Was looking at this as a slightly cheaper alternative if anyone has any thoughts IMG_0018.thumb.png.c60178b90d936bba231ff58e553ba175.pngIMG_0017.thumb.png.578ddf5ed43651084465bca4322659b1.png

Bought the HP and still having issues with graphics stutter. Not sure how with the GPU. Could it be due to the processor/graphics almost being too good for the game and unable to run at a high frame rate, or is it because the high graphics only run at a minimum frame rate and the 144hz screen is refreshing too quickly for the game causing the jitter. Any advice/info would be helpful, before I send it back. 
Regards James 

3 minutes ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

Bought the HP and still having issues with graphics stutter. Not sure how with the GPU. Could it be due to the processor/graphics almost being too good for the game and unable to run at a high frame rate, or is it because the high graphics only run at a minimum frame rate and the 144hz screen is refreshing too quickly for the game causing the jitter. Any advice/info would be helpful, before I send it back. 
Regards James 

1) Check you graphics card drivers are all up to date.

2) Check the game is using the dedicated graphics card and not the integrated GPU.

3) Check game settings for things like refresh rate.

I can't imagine why that system would be having frame rate issues for FM.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

1) Check you graphics card drivers are all up to date.

2) Check the game is using the dedicated graphics card and not the integrated GPU.

3) Check game settings for things like refresh rate.

I can't imagine why that system would be having frame rate issues for FM.

What settings would you suggest on the match engine? 

1 minute ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

What settings would you suggest on the match engine? 

That system should manage everything maxed without breaking a sweat.

Not sure whether the fact that the game is hardcoded to cap at 60FPS would cause issues on displays with higher refresh rates, but if it did then I'm sure it'd be something I'd already heard of, and I haven't.

Greetings, great thread.  Nice of you all to help.

I'm not really concerned that my desktop won't run the game, just curious your thoughts on how well it will run.  Just purchased this system and haven't had it delivered yet.  My last system was okay but struggled running more than 5 leagues playable at a time.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.9Ghz

RTX 3060 12gb DDR6

16gb DDR4 ram 

Slainte

Edited by Blarney

4 hours ago, Blarney said:

Greetings, great thread.  Nice of you all to help.

I'm not really concerned that my desktop won't run the game, just curious your thoughts on how well it will run.  Just purchased this system and haven't had it delivered yet.  My last system was okay but struggled running more than 5 leagues playable at a time.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.9Ghz

RTX 3060 12gb DDR6

16gb DDR4 ram 

Slainte

It should run the game very well.

My laptop is 4.5 years old and now super slow, took me 15 mins to load up last week so figure it's time to upgrade. Some good links here and also found this which im very tempted by. only concern might be the lower base clock speed?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1309023?clickPR=plp:6:63

• Intel Core i5 - 1235U processor.
  • 10 Core processor.
  • 1.3GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.4GHz.
  • 16GB RAM DDR4.
  • 512GB SSD storage.

On 25/04/2023 at 14:14, ru9a said:

Opinions on this one? 

• Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 processor
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512GB NVMe SSD lagring

HP Pavilion 14-ce3814 14" bärbar dator (vit) - Elgiganten

Not fantastic, but for the price (which seems to work out at around £190) it's certainly ok.  You'll probably need to use lower 3D graphics settings.

5 hours ago, Majson said:

My laptop is 4.5 years old and now super slow, took me 15 mins to load up last week so figure it's time to upgrade. Some good links here and also found this which im very tempted by. only concern might be the lower base clock speed?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1309023?clickPR=plp:6:63

• Intel Core i5 - 1235U processor.
  • 10 Core processor.
  • 1.3GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.4GHz.
  • 16GB RAM DDR4.
  • 512GB SSD storage.

It's ok even with the low base clock speed, but I'd be inclined to look at this instead for the same price: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-15seq2510sa-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10225070.html

55 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's ok even with the low base clock speed, but I'd be inclined to look at this instead for the same price: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-15seq2510sa-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10225070.html

Thanks for the link, i sort of wanted 16gb Ram for a couple of things i do occasionally (not while playing FM though) and im not a big fan of HP, i've had a couple that have always ended up being an issue for me.

Probably me being a bit daft mind

13 minutes ago, Majson said:

Thanks for the link, i sort of wanted 16gb Ram for a couple of things i do occasionally (not while playing FM though) and im not a big fan of HP, i've had a couple that have always ended up being an issue for me.

Probably me being a bit daft mind

If you don't mind going up to £650, I'd look at this one instead: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-16x-x1603za-16-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10240160.html

On 24/04/2023 at 19:14, kevhamster said:

Not sure whether the fact that the game is hardcoded to cap at 60FPS would cause issues on displays with higher refresh rates, but if it did then I'm sure it'd be something I'd already heard of, and I haven't.

Interesting. Might have to put it in the si forums to check 

On 24/04/2023 at 19:14, kevhamster said:

I have put a post in the match engine issues thread if you want to take a look

51 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Not really - the processor isn't fantastic and only 4GB RAM.  I'd be looking for 8GB at minimum.

Hi Kev

Thanks for the answer but it confuses me. Further up in the thread you recommended the same computer?

IMG_8493.png

IMG_8492.png

Edited by ru9a

14 hours ago, ru9a said:

Hi Kev

Thanks for the answer but it confuses me. Further up in the thread you recommended the same computer?

IMG_8493.png

IMG_8492.png

It's cheap for what it is (specification-wise), that has to be said. If that's all you can afford it's a decent option.

Couple of issues I noted:

- Only 4gb of soldered (ie not upgradable) RAM. This will be an issue especially with larger databases

- The iGPU is quite weak and probably wouldn't run the 3D match engine well

- Poor reviews - the build quality may not be great

34 minutes ago, Gangor said:

It's cheap for what it is (specification-wise), that has to be said. If that's all you can afford it's a decent option.

Couple of issues I noted:

- Only 4gb of soldered (ie not upgradable) RAM. This will be an issue especially with larger databases

- The iGPU is quite weak and probably wouldn't run the 3D match engine well

- Poor reviews - the build quality may not be great

Ok, thanks Gangor