Strikers dont score goals

I'm using 2* 4231 ays and a 4122w1, my strikers are pressing forwards, attack, and whilst they don't score loads of goals the do score some and seem to score more against the big-boys, but it;s the contribution of the pressing forwards that I am looking for and they work hard and involved in the build up to lots of goals. Again excuse my EFC bias but not really had a go with anyone else yet. We have 2 pressing forwards, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Cenk Tosun, DCL is more suited to PF attack, Cenk is more suited to PF support and it's noticeable in match how they operate differently, DCL seems to work a lot harder. Suppose quick summary, right player for the right role.

It seems quite challenging to get lone strikers to produce the goods in this years game. Whilst my tactic seems to allow my attacking midfielders to score some goals, I can't help but think I would be better off if my striker proved to be my main goal outlet. I'm going to try playing 2 up top for a bit and see how that works out instead.

• 1 month later...

My current season

14 games with a lone striker:

• Allagui (Poacher) 2 goals
  • Veerman (Target Man Attack) 2 goals
  • Diamantakos (Poacher) 5 goals

Five from crosses, three from direct counters, one through pass from the half right

11 games with two strikers (Veerman as TM(S) plus one of the Poachers)

• Veerman 5 goals
  • Diamantakos 6 goals
  • Allagui 2 goals

Six crosses, two counters, one long ball, two corners, one through ball (central midfield), one interception. 

From my throwaway testing games I also saw a lot of absolutely bonkers stuff with the two, although most of them only included one; apparently room is key. With one the direct counters were where he shined and a few first touch shots after connecting with my right wing. 

Edited by Piperita

Striker scoring rates haven't been great for me before this season (2020/21)*, but the current season on ME19.2 variants has Arnautovic on 10 by Christmas. having only got 11 all last season. Plays as an AF-A in a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide.

Looks like things may be improving in the more recent ME releases.

*Most of my goals in previous seasons came from Anderson (AP-A) and Yarmolenko (IF-S) on the wings

I got icardi playing up top for arsenal bought him this season and he's has his "placed shot" saved every time he's put in 1 v 1 with the keeper, which I must note rarely happens maybe once every 3 games (he has 19 composure 19 finishing) but only time he scores is from first Time shots. The play making has been completely nurfed all my goals come from long shots or crosses. There's no point in play making cams, they are only good for long shots and headers if they're big. I didn't even bother playing strikers the season b4 just 2 shadow strikers. Worked nicely until the update, now it's trash and I'm losing games online trying to find a tactic that can combat the OP wingers without playing wingers.

Edited by jere_d

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hello . This is my 3. save in fm2019 but everytime I face against same problem and my strikers no matters how big and good players they are they just can't score . I am going to crush my computer how in earth harry kane can't score for  7 games and complete the match with the average of 6.40 mostly.Not just about kane , every striker I have just can't score I tried different tactics but result is same always

This is the latest topic I found when searching about this.

Anyway, has there been improvement since the latest update? I just got the game, so couldn't tell if there is any difference. But it is weird seeing Ronaldo only scoring 12 in the league. My Inglese got 19 as pressing forward, so not too unhappy with it. He does miss lots of 1v1s by shooting straight at the goalkeeper.

Regardless, my question is, there's no placed shot or goalkeeper rushing out and getting lobbed in 1v1s like older version? Those varieties were great. Even my sweeper keeper doesn't really sweep forward, come to think of it.

20 hours ago, quee said:

Anyway, has there been improvement since the latest update? I just got the game, so couldn't tell if there is any difference. But it is weird seeing Ronaldo only scoring 12 in the league. My Inglese got 19 as pressing forward, so not too unhappy with it. He does miss lots of 1v1s by shooting straight at the goalkeeper.

Regardless, my question is, there's no placed shot or goalkeeper rushing out and getting lobbed in 1v1s like older version? Those varieties were great. Even my sweeper keeper doesn't really sweep forward, come to think of it.

As of April 2019, I'd say the problem still remains a bit. However, this might have been by design. I've been persistently training my team for "Attack Wing work" (with more Agility and Quickness work as well) and strikers seems to be having a slightly better time scoring. Strange nonetheless...

20 hours ago, quee said:

I've found it better, in spells. Had Werner and Vardy both getting 20 goals in the first half of the season. Feels like it comes in runs of games, then a run of game without a goal etc. 

Before the update I couldn't get a striker scoring at all.

It's situational I find. I use the Knap 442 tactics and I find the *vast* majority of goals come from crosses and cutbacks but I have had strikers having 50/60 goal seasons using these tactics so they can score. I just find the match engine so unrealistic in places. Players with high dribbling skills never seem to dribble past opponents, strikers seem consistently useless at one on ones, whatever their stats. As is the case and has always been the case with FM (and CM in the past) it seems you have to use a tactic that exploits a flaw in the match engine to get strikers to score.

• 7 months later...