New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

On 28/11/2016 at 21:27, martplfc1 said:

No idea what an IPS screen is :D does it make a big difference for everyday use?

Well, at least you will know for sure that you'd never get such good hardware in a Mac for that price.  Hope the switch isn't too difficult!

Received it today - first thing downloaded, obviously FM! So far, so good. Blitzing through the game! Could run every league if I wanted to, though the allure of managing in Malaysia or South Africa has passed me by so far!

IPS screens have better viewing angles; quite surprising to see such a new laptop without it by default, but small price to pay for such a good laptop. It'll be hooked up to a monitor for the vast majority of the time in any case.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The speed is great isn't it, although it will take me some time to get used to the resolution. I haven't got the space for a monitor atm but is on my to do list.

I was a bit annoyed to find my SSD is only 105gb rather than 128gb. Is yours the same?

The laptop I'm looking at has 16gb Ram and a big HDD. I'm considering buying a SSD to swap in as it's possibly a cheap price for the laptop. 

With my server,  I don't need a big SSD/HDD for files so it'll only be the OS and FM on the SSD. 

Word of warning!

Think before buying the http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30021498-Medion-Erazer-P6661_1934830.html 

The screen didn't work.

Was a blessing in disguise as i then found http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-gaming-laptop-10146140-pdt.html

For just £65 more, it has a better processor, graphics, double the battery life and more.

Runs FM perfectly. 5 star performance with numerous leagues loaded and 5 star graphics. 

17 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

The speed is great isn't it, although it will take me some time to get used to the resolution. I haven't got the space for a monitor atm but is on my to do list.

I was a bit annoyed to find my SSD is only 105gb rather than 128gb. Is yours the same?

Same here - Windows 10 takes up about 20gb. Got rid of some of the pre-installed bumpfh too. After installing my main programs (Office, Photoshop, Lightroom and Steam)  I have 38.7gb left on the SSD.

I think I'll be installing a bigger SSD in the very near future!

On 30/11/2016 at 19:44, nangaparbat said:

XPS 15 is:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad Core (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)

32GB DDR4-2133MHz;

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5

vs 

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

(2013)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Can anyone update on what the difference between these two will be?

8 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

would this laptop play fm17 ok

Toshiba satellite c855

intel core i3-2328m

CPU 2.20ghz 8gb ram

750gb hdd win10 pro

thanks guys

Might be a fringe one on match engine buddy. Didn´t know those come with Windows 10.

13 hours ago, Rousty said:

Might be a fringe one on match engine buddy. Didn´t know those come with Windows 10.

They probably don't. Friend of a friend selling this I was just wondering if it was

worth giving it a go.

I won't be. Thanks for your reply.

For the reference I post my specs here that can run FM17 in comfortable manner. I do use 2d match engine since I don´t like the 3d but I have tested it also.
My booklet is Acer E5-573G-58RM
i5 - 4210U 1,7 with turbo to 2,7GHz
Geforce 920m
4gb of ram(I´ll have 8gb once I have time to pop the hood)
500gb 5400rpm hd

I am looking at purchasing an iMac and am wondering if the following iMac will run Football Manager 2017 smoothly:

2.8GHz Processor
1TB Storage

• 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB of onboard memory, configurable up to 16GB
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
  • 1920x1080 sRGB display

OR

3.2GHz Processor
1TB Storage

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory, configurable up to 32GB
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • AMD Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB video memory
  • Retina 5K 5120x2880 P3 display

There is a difference in price the former being  RRP around $2K whilst the latter is RRP $2,800 - I just want to see if I get the basic Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 card if it meets the standard graphics cards specs for FM17.

12 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

It's better than my current setup which runs 5 or 6 leagues without too much difficulty. Your definition of 'any good' might be different to line thoug :D

Looks like my laptop is on its way to laptop heaven... is there anything that is essential in my new one, or anything I should look to avoid?

Budget is probably only £250, maybe £300 max so not expecting miracles, just want to run FM with English leagues down to Step 10, with other UK leagues as View-only - thanks

On 12/2/2016 at 14:43, Walrus said:

The laptop I'm looking at has 16gb Ram and a big HDD. I'm considering buying a SSD to swap in as it's possibly a cheap price for the laptop. 

With my server,  I don't need a big SSD/HDD for files so it'll only be the OS and FM on the SSD. 

Fella, did you get this one in the end? if so, how much was it and where from (if you don't mind me asking - just saw in an earlier post you gave your budget as similar to mine)

On 04/12/2016 at 19:12, thnigelfc said:

would this laptop play fm17 ok

Toshiba satellite c855

intel core i3-2328m

CPU 2.20ghz 8gb ram

750gb hdd win10 pro

thanks guys

It would play it ok, the match engine will run albeit on low settings, the question is how much is he asking for it? 

any more than 100 quid and i'd look elsewhere

4 hours ago, RexEverything said:

Looks like my laptop is on its way to laptop heaven... is there anything that is essential in my new one, or anything I should look to avoid?

Budget is probably only £250, maybe £300 max so not expecting miracles, just want to run FM with English leagues down to Step 10, with other UK leagues as View-only - thanks

How portable does it need to be?

What screen size?

Will you take refurbished or only new?

How important is the 3d match engine to you?

i'm liking this if you don't mind refurbished http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-elitebook-8570p-15.6-intel-core-i5-3360m-2.8ghz-4gb-250gb-a2-b5v88aw-1yr/version.asp

or this for new http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-250-core-i3-5005u-4gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-x0q79es/version.asp?tref=rightldtakeover

the obvious difference is the speed of the processor, refurb is 3790 on passmark and the new one is 2906 on passmark.  There is a bit more to it but thats the crux of it.

i've bought new and refurbs before and been happy with both

Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop to play football manager 2017 on but I have no idea where to start.

Ideally I would like to run 4-6 leagues and would like the laptop to run quietly (how can I play in my lectures when the fan sounds like a plane taking off?).

My budget is around £650.

Could you point me in the right direction and throw out some suggestions?

Thank you

On 07/12/2016 at 16:11, RexEverything said:

Fella, did you get this one in the end? if so, how much was it and where from (if you don't mind me asking - just saw in an earlier post you gave your budget as similar to mine)

It was on eBay but unfortunately someone else got one first! I'm still looking for my laptop ?

On 01/12/2016 at 12:03, Walrus said:

I think I'm going to get this one from laptopsdirect today. My only concern is the processor speed 1.8ghz turbo boosted up to 3.2.

Can I trust the turbo boost figure to be used for FM?

On 12/9/2016 at 07:32, Walrus said:

I think I'm going to get this one from laptopsdirect today. My only concern is the processor speed 1.8ghz turbo boosted up to 3.2.

Can I trust the turbo boost figure to be used for FM?

@WalrusIt will run the game.. but expect it to get hot... use a laptop cooler..  

It's not going to be super quick either,  but will run a few leagues fine ..  I rate it on par with the older gen 13's .. say the the 13-5005u maybe... for comparison...

It can't compete with the newer generation i3's even though.

5 hours ago, Welshace said:

@WalrusIt will run the game.. but expect it to get hot... use a laptop cooler..  

It's not going to be super quick either,  but will run a few leagues fine ..  I rate it on par with the older gen 13's .. say the the 13-5005u maybe... for comparison...

It can't compete with the newer generation i3's even though.

@Welshace thanks. I can pick one up for £260 so I think I'll go for it as I'll mainly be using it for bits and pieces such as running my golf simulator and FM is just a bonus. Ta. 

After months of dithering my wife has finally lost patience and told me if I don't pull my finger out and order a laptop, she'll get one for me.

Size and weight are as important to me as processing power.  It has to actually be a laptop, not just some large chunky thing I have to put on a desk, so I've been looking at ultra books and 2 in 1s.  As a comparison I'm using my old 13" Macbook Pro (2kg), which is about as heavy as I'm willing to go.

This Lenovo Yoga 710 caught my eye, and at under £700 with an i7 6500u chip is well within budget (I don't want to spend more than £1000).

Then I had a quick look at Dell and a couple more looked good:

This Inspiron 13 5000 2-in-1 looks to have the Yoga beaten for specs (latest gen i7 7500u with 16gb of ram) for just £30 more; or

Either of these Inspiron 15 7000 notebooks with the added benefit of a discreet graphics card.  The i5 version seems better value for money, not sure the extra £150 for an i7 + some more ram is worth it?  Pretty sure an i5 7200u will still pack a pretty hefty processing punch.

Does anyone have any experience of these before I take the plunge?  Or other suggestions?  The Asus Zenbooks also look interesting, such as this UX305, but I have no idea how an M5 processor would stack up?

Cheers.

Hi Guys

I'm being nagged to make my mind up. So am in need of some guidance please.

Which of these two laptops would be best for FM17. Running the leagues below and at a good speed?  

I would generally run 5 English leagues 1 in Scotland and 1 in Spain.

Large database.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1-571-156-intel-core-i3-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-laptop-bundle-with-mouse-bag-and-mcafee-internet-security-2016-tesco-exclusive/394-3672.prd

Thanks in advance guys.

2 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Guys

I'm being nagged to make my mind up. So am in need of some guidance please.

Which of these two laptops would be best for FM17. Running the leagues below and at a good speed?  

I would generally run 5 English leagues 1 in Scotland and 1 in Spain.

Large database.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1-571-156-intel-core-i3-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-laptop-bundle-with-mouse-bag-and-mcafee-internet-security-2016-tesco-exclusive/394-3672.prd

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi.. the easiest way to compare two laptops for fm with eachother is a simple google search...

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-N3700-vs-Intel-Core-i3-5005U

Hi all, 

any idea how many leagues this would be able to run without being painfully slow? I'm used to playing fm on a laptop that's a good few years old and just about pulls half a star with one/two leagues loaded so anything around two to three stars and say 8 leagues would be perfect if this could do it? 

Specs are: 

• Intel Core i5-6200U Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Storage: 1 TB HDD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

its the Lenovo ideapad 510, would be 500 quid so any suggestions for a better laptop for similar price would be ideal? 

Thank you 

12 hours ago, herne79 said:

I've finally taken the plunge and bought the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with the i7 7500u processor here http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7560-laptop/pd?oc=cn75602&model_id=inspiron-15-7560-laptop.

With a little shopping around, Currys/PC World are offering it with a discount code, so got it for £100 less than on the Dell site.

Is that the same as this  one on currys

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-laptop-silver-10153659-pdt.html

Archived