New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Hi all

currently still playing fm 14 on an old laptop or have been, just bought a second hand laptop wasn't expensive but is an upgrade on what I had.

here are the specs, will this be able to run fm17 to a decent degree ?

Lenovo thi iPad 

Intel core i5 Processor 2.60ghx 

ram 8gb

Thanks

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spechelp said:

Hi all

currently still playing fm 14 on an old laptop or have been, just bought a second hand laptop wasn't expensive but is an upgrade on what I had.

here are the specs, will this be able to run fm17 to a decent degree ?

Lenovo thi iPad 

Intel core i5 Processor 2.60ghx 

ram 8gb

Thanks

Hi, you haven't mentioned what type of I5 that is so hard to tell but I run a very decent game of fm 17 on a second gen I5 so yours should be fine I'm sure 

If anybody is looking at around the £700 mark then this looks like a great deal, stunning price really.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/stormforce-wildfire-core-i7-6700hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gt940-dvd-rw-7270-9069/version.asp

Only issue would be the screen resolution which is unstated, might be worth ringing to ask first is 1080 or 720 is a dealbreaker

Hi guys

I am a novice with laptops and bought one a few years ago and FM12 didnt run very well.

Anyway just after some help I have a budget of around 400-700. I am after something that can maybe run a good few nations and a good number of players. 3D would be rarely used.

Is this any decent? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-17-x062sa-17-3-laptop-silver-10146666-pdt.html

23 minutes ago, RyMc1410 said:

Going to scroll back through the thread as u say. I suppose was just trying to get some feedback on the links I posted. Thanks for the reply 

Fair enough...

Out of the ones you posted.. and it won't be a surprise, but this one:  http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-17-ab051sa-17-3-laptop-silver-10147525-pdt.html

Is head and shoulders above the others.... but it  really does depend how much you really want to spend and what you want to do with it besides the odd fm game.

Thinking of getting this for around 600. Any opinions on performance expected at all guys please?

OVERVIEW
Type Laptop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
SPECIFICATION
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor
- Dual-core
- 2.3 GHz / 2.8 GHz (TurboBoost)
- 3 MB cache
Memory (RAM) 8 GB DDR4
Graphics card AMD Radeon R7 M440 (2 GB DDR3)
Storage 1 TB, 5400 rpm
SCREEN
Screen size 17.3"
Screen type LED
Resolution 1920 x 1080

Asus X555L 15.6" Gaming Laptop i7-4510U 8GB 1TB SSHD Win 10 Nvidia GeForce 820M    thinking of buying this for the fm 2017 will this run about 5 leagues England, Germany, Spanish, French, Scottish and is it good enough for medium 3D settings, thanks in advance for any help.

is this laptop any good? seems to only be £180. that can't be right surely?

Brand MHK International Co., Limited
Item Weight 2.7 Kg
Product Dimensions 41.9 x 28 x 2.9 cm
Item model number 001792-SKU1001
Screen Size 17.3 inches
Processor Type Core i7
Processor Speed 2.7 GHz
Processor Count 4
RAM Size 16 GB
Computer Memory Type GDDR5
Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
Graphics Chipset Brand NVIDIA
Wireless Type 802.11 A/C
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
Wattage 2 watts
Card Reader SDXC
Operating System Windows 10
Lithium Battery Energy Content 30 watt_hours
Lithium Battery Packaging batteries_contained_in_equipment
Lithium Battery Weight 100 Grams

At £180 I'd say it's not kosher & best avoided unless being sold by a well known & reputable retailer who guaranntee the price which I doubt is the case. 

On 12/02/2017 at 15:56, Nelson12345 said:

Asus X555L 15.6" Gaming Laptop i7-4510U 8GB 1TB SSHD Win 10 Nvidia GeForce 820M    thinking of buying this for the fm 2017 will this run about 5 leagues England, Germany, Spanish, French, Scottish and is it good enough for medium 3D settings, thanks in advance for any help.

It'll run the leagues you want but you may have to make do with low graphic settings, tbh it shoudn't be labelled as a gaming laptop with the CPU/GPU combination

14 hours ago, Barside said:

At £180 I'd say it's not kosher & best avoided unless being sold by a well known & reputable retailer who guarantee the price which I doubt is the case. 

Yeah i decided not to risk it. went with this one instead which i reckon should run a fair few leagues in FM17 as well as Battlefield 1 at a reasonable speed. Only £569.0. as well which i think is a good price.

Processor

• Intel Core™ i5-6300HQ 2.3GHz
  • Turbo boost up to 3.2 GHz
  • Intel® HD Graphics 530
  • 6 MB cache
  • 4 cores

Memory

• 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • Configuration 1 x 8GB

Hard Drive

• 1TB 5400rpm SATA

Optical Drive

• SuperMulti DVD burner

Software

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64

Display

• 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit  
  • Resolution 1366 x 768

Graphics

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
  • 4 GB DDR3L dedicated

Audio

• B&O PLAY
  • Dual speakers

Input Devices

• HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support

Networking

• Wired integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
  • Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1)
  • Bluetooth® 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible)

Power Supply

• 90 W AC power adapter
  • 4-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

Interfaces

• 1 HDMI
  • 1 headphone/microphone combo
  • 1 USB 2.0
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • 1 RJ-45
  • 1 multi-format SD media card reader

Warranty

• 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

On 1/12/2017 at 12:52, PAJ said:

Hi all,

I am looking for a laptop that will run maybe 5-6 leagues. The last laptop I bought was about £900 and broke after 3 years so I don't really want to spend that much. 

Will this one run what I am after?http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-6-laptop-with-the-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i5-processor-white-10151808-pdt.html

PS. I am not to bothered about the 3D match engine just as long as it will process 5-6 leagues pretty fast etc. 

Thanks

I'm now looking at this. Will it play the 3D match engine at all?

Wouldn't be a deal breaker if it can't (atm I only occasionally play 2D FM12 on an ancient 9yr old laptop), but would be good to experience 3D FM.

Hi

I'm looking for a laptop purely to play FM 17.

I play 8 nations and large database.

Having the option to play minimum detail 3D would be nice but not essential-more of a 2d player.

My budget is £400.

Can someone tell me the specs I'll need so I can shop around?

Thank you

8 hours ago, Leccy said:

Hi

I'm looking for a laptop purely to play FM 17.

I play 8 nations and large database.

Having the option to play minimum detail 3D would be nice but not essential-more of a 2d player.

My budget is £400.

Can someone tell me the specs I'll need so I can shop around?

Thank you

All about cpu for fm.. 

With your low budget, you would be best just trying to get the best cpu you can buy.. as anything beyond that would be a bonus at that price point..

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X0Q77ESABU-HP-250-G5_2023383.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Z3F82EAABU-HP-15-ba047na_2015269.html

For example, the above options are pretty good.

I'm looking to get a new laptop that will cope with a fairly large fm database i.e 5/6 countries and also be quick with day to day internet browsing, etc.

I have had a good experience with Lenovo and have found a couple on John Lewis that look good. Was just wondering whether either were good value for money and whether they'd cope with the database I'm hoping to play?

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-310-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-2tb-15-6-full-hd/p2839970?sku=236268334&s_kwcid=2dx92700016574805558&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CJ3wyNGLp9ICFXMz0wod5_cI6A&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-310-laptop-amd-a12-12gb-ram-1tb-15-6-full-hd-white/p2913156?sku=236268307&s_kwcid=2dx92700016574805450&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=COGDidWLp9ICFeQW0wodC_YH-g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi, spotted this laptop and it seems like an amazing price for an i7 processor.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-ay168sa-15-6-laptop-with-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i7-processor-silver-10151313-pdt.html

Could someone let me know what kind of FM performance I would see and also what trade offs i make with such a cheap price for an i7 as I imagine there must be some. 

Cheers, Ollie

1 hour ago, ollies233 said:

Hi, spotted this laptop and it seems like an amazing price for an i7 processor.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-ay168sa-15-6-laptop-with-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i7-processor-silver-10151313-pdt.html

Could someone let me know what kind of FM performance I would see and also what trade offs i make with such a cheap price for an i7 as I imagine there must be some. 

Cheers, Ollie

You would get very good performance.  

The only drawbacks for me are the relatively low resolution (1366×768) and traditional hdd as opposed to ssd.

For the price though that spec is fantastic . Normally laptops at that price have 4gb ram and Intel celeron processors which are terrible for anything more than browsing the Web and basic office duties.

1 hour ago, OCD said:

You would get very good performance.  

The only drawbacks for me are the relatively low resolution (1366×768) and traditional hdd as opposed to ssd.

For the price though that spec is fantastic . Normally laptops at that price have 4gb ram and Intel celeron processors which are terrible for anything more than browsing the Web and basic office duties.

Thanks for the response, lower resolution should't be too much of a problem as i don't really watch films or anything on my laptop. Gonna give it a buy

Laptop I spotted earlier seems to be a mistake on the website doesn't let me order or anything.

I spotted this one which seemed like a decent option but I'm sure there are better ones out there that some of you more well-informed laptop people can recommend.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/K9J03EAABU-HP-350-G2_1775790.html

Price range £350-500

Want to run around 5-10 leagues at a fast pace, any help is appreciated cheers

3 minutes ago, Welshace said:

@ollies233

Doesn't seem to be a mistake.. have successfully ordered 2 previously.

Ridiculously good price.

Says it's unavailable for delivery and that I can't pick it up anywhere within 100 miles to me which I find hard to believe living so close to London and lots of other PC world stores. No indication that it's just out of stock but that could be the case and maybe it might be available if it is just a glitch or something. Meanwhile what other options in that price range (350-500) are there to consider? Cheers

One thing to bear in mind is the laptop you linked to has the latest intel processor, so PC World just don't have much stock in at the minute. The 7th gen processors were released this quarter so really new.

PC world are still in the process of trying to clear stock of laptops with the 6th generation Intel processors.

The only worry will be whether the offer will still be available when stock levels do improve.

If I'm honest I can see the price rising shortly, for them to then reduce it during the Easter sales, but at that point there'll likely be more stock available.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a laptop to play FM17, I have been looking through this clicking on different laptop links but I'm not sure what to go for!

I would say that my budget is anything up to £400, I am willing to go hire if that's impossible haha! 

Any recommendations would be grateful! 

@Welshace

Right I've found two laptops same price but one is a 6th gen i7 and one is a 7th gen i5, how much difference really is there between generations and which one will be faster? Sometimes these things can just be a gimmick to make things seem updated when really your just paying more for the same so any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X556UA-DM326T-Notebook-i7-6500/dp/B01HMZRIGO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inpsiron-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Windows-x/dp/B01MRSXP2H/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1488213799&sr=8-14&keywords=laptop+i5+7200u

Basically whichever one will run FM faster, cheers.

Hi guys, still procrastinating about what I need to suit fm as well as work requirements 😐

I travel a lot and I'm now considering an ultra book due to their portability, but I can't find much info on how well an ultra book will handle fm.

im thinking about this one, or a similar spec sell xps13

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-910-i7-13-9-2-in-1-laptop-gun-metal/320575/

Obviously the graphics is a problem, but does anyone know if this will run fm on low detail? Also any experience with ultra books getting hot under heavy loads?

thanks guys!

Hi guys just ordered my laptop, was wondering what you guys think how it will handle fm. Here is the specs.

Screen: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 7300HQ (2.5GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)

Ram 8GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5

Storage: 240GB KINGSTON SSDNow M.2

On 2/27/2017 at 14:04, Pia said:

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a laptop to play FM17, I have been looking through this clicking on different laptop links but I'm not sure what to go for!

I would say that my budget is anything up to £400, I am willing to go hire if that's impossible haha! 

Any recommendations would be grateful! 

If you can stretch the budget slightly i'd go for this

StormForce Wildfire Core i5-6300HQ

The key thing here is the HQ part at the end.  Unless you absolutely have to have long battery life the laptops ending in are best avoided as they will be dramatically less powerful.  Others may disagree but it would be my main consideration.

On 3/1/2017 at 21:32, mattycrewefc said:

Hi guys just ordered my laptop, was wondering what you guys think how it will handle fm. Here is the specs.

Screen: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 7300HQ (2.5GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)

Ram 8GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5

Storage: 240GB KINGSTON SSDNow M.2

Great choice, what was the cost?

On 2/28/2017 at 10:15, Redfern said:

Hi guys, still procrastinating about what I need to suit fm as well as work requirements 😐

I travel a lot and I'm now considering an ultra book due to their portability, but I can't find much info on how well an ultra book will handle fm.

im thinking about this one, or a similar spec sell xps13

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-910-i7-13-9-2-in-1-laptop-gun-metal/320575/

Obviously the graphics is a problem, but does anyone know if this will run fm on low detail? Also any experience with ultra books getting hot under heavy loads?

thanks guys!

I imagine it will get a little hot but that's a great bit of kit and will run FM really well, just put the 3D matches on lower quality.

On 08/02/2017 at 10:27, Tranmeremad said:

Thanks @Welshace , you ever used PC Tek by any chance?

On 08/02/2017 at 14:41, Welshace said:

Admittedly I haven't but their reviews look good and a colleague of mine have used them and only has good things to say about them

Just a heads up, if anybody has followed this thread and thought the PC Tek offer was good then avoid at all costs. Paid my money and was told delivery in seven days, when this was up had an Email saying it would be another 4 weeks so cancelled and now chasing my mney back from them and keep getting promises that they keep breaking! 

Paid on a credit card so should be ok!

11 hours ago, Tranmeremad said:

Just a heads up, if anybody has followed this thread and thought the PC Tek offer was good then avoid at all costs. Paid my money and was told delivery in seven days, when this was up had an Email saying it would be another 4 weeks so cancelled and now chasing my mney back from them and keep getting promises that they keep breaking! 

Paid on a credit card so should be ok!

Hey, really sorry to hear that, thanks for letting us know, what was their reasoning behind the delay?

Hi i've been looking to buy a new laptop recently, due an upgrade on my current one that works fine but can't really cope with the 3D match engine unless I untick the crowd, stadium etc in the preferences also I can only have around 4 leagues loaded at one time and it usually goes down to 3* speed at that point. 

I generally only play FM on my laptop in terms of gaming but obviously use it for other daily uses.

Anyway I am obviously a n00b when it comes to buying something good which is why i'm asking for advice in this topic, i've looked through this and had a look at all the links posted and just wanted some advice on these few laptops that I am looking at, one of which I saw was linked on here. Would they all be good enough to play FM lag free with multiple leagues loaded and be able to handle the 3D match engine without having to turn the stadium etc off? I have no issues paying for the most expensive one but I just want to know if it's worth buying that rather than getting one of the other cheaper laptops i've seen?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-notebook-15-ab128na.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-aspire-15.6-laptop-es1-523.html

or the one linked here

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/stormforce-wildfire-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-geforce-gt940-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-w-7240-9067/version.asp

Any help is much appreciated. :)

I need some help choosing between these two laptops.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1DN37EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/pd?oc=cn56702&model_id=inspiron-15-7567-laptop

After discounts I can get them both for around £900, which is the top end of my budget.

Purely from the specs the Dell is better as it has a better graphics card (GTX 1050 Ti 4GB vs GTX 1050 2 GB) and 256 GB SSD vs a 128 GB SSD on the HP but there have been a lot of bad reviews about the screen on the Dell. Does anyone have this laptop or used it and can feedback on the screen? I do connect my laptop to an external monitor so it might not be too much of an issue.

The thing putting me off the HP is their reputation. I've read a lot about their laptops not being very durable and poor with heat management/cooling. Does anyone have experience with the HP gaming laptops that can confirm or deny this? The one positive about the HP is that for "only" £50 extra you can get three year pick up and repair service, which would help alleviate some of my worries about durability. 

Obviously the better specs, graphics card and SSD, on the Dell are nice to have but I don't really need them. The most graphic intensive game I play is Motorsport Manager, so I'm sure the GTX 1050 2 GB would be fine for this.

The main use for the laptop will be playing FM, motorsport manager and OOTP with normal web browsing as well. I'd like a laptop that is somewhat future proofed so I can keep it for at least five years. 

I'd appreciate any advice and/or feedback on any of these laptops.

Thanks

22 hours ago, Welshace said:

You can't add a graphics card no... not on laptops in 99.9% of cases..

ram is a definite though.

Though Fm is all cpu tbh.. so no go there either.

So the higher the number of the processor, the better it is right? A decent cpu can run quality 3d without the need of a graphics card?

Hello I have been looking at purchasing a new desktop PC to play Football Manager on (don't have much luck with laptops and the one I currently have isn't the greatest) but I was taking a look at this PC - https://www.tesco.com/direct/cube-rebellion-turbo-ultra-fast-quad-core-esport-ready-gaming-pc-bundle-with-acer-23-hd-monitor-amd-a-series-quad-core-1000gb-windows-8-integrated-gra/141-5039.prd and was wondering how good would that be for FM?

I would be downloading facepack megapack and a logo megapack along with all the current kits as well as wanting to play a few leagues at a time with a reasonable star limit. 

Would this be a good enough one or should I still be looking elsewhere? I'm an idiot with this sort of thing

3 hours ago, gechal said:

So the higher the number of the processor, the better it is right? A decent cpu can run quality 3d without the need of a graphics card?

Not necessarily...

it's a bit more complicated...

the first number on intel's is the generation . so 5th 6th or 7th as it is now.. then you get different classes from there so 7200 7500 7700 and some in between, and then you get the letters after it which donate certain features..

ie HQ means High performance Quad core...  M means Mobile etc.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBOD said:

Hello I have been looking at purchasing a new desktop PC to play Football Manager on (don't have much luck with laptops and the one I currently have isn't the greatest) but I was taking a look at this PC - https://www.tesco.com/direct/cube-rebellion-turbo-ultra-fast-quad-core-esport-ready-gaming-pc-bundle-with-acer-23-hd-monitor-amd-a-series-quad-core-1000gb-windows-8-integrated-gra/141-5039.prd and was wondering how good would that be for FM?

I would be downloading facepack megapack and a logo megapack along with all the current kits as well as wanting to play a few leagues at a time with a reasonable star limit. 

Would this be a good enough one or should I still be looking elsewhere? I'm an idiot with this sort of thing

Honestly, with everything that it comes with.. it's pretty damn good.. Not a huge fan of AMD.. but yeah, great price considering it includes monitor and peripherals etc.  Only thing it lacks is a wireless card really.

And it will certainly play FM with a fair few leagues actually..  decent find.

In regards to laptops that have come out with the 7th Gen processors and 1050/1050Ti graphics, how long do you think these graphics card would last until they were unable run the 3D engine in future FM's? Do you think any laptop with either of these GPU's in would last a minimum of 3 years?

Cheers :)

LG

22 hours ago, Welshace said:

Honestly, with everything that it comes with.. it's pretty damn good.. Not a huge fan of AMD.. but yeah, great price considering it includes monitor and peripherals etc.  Only thing it lacks is a wireless card really.

And it will certainly play FM with a fair few leagues actually..  decent find.

Does a wireless card add much? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to things like this.

It also doesn't seem to have SSD, does that make much difference to the game or is it pretty irreverent? 

Archived