New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

SSD. It wouldn't process FM faster though. 

In fact, I'd avoid having solely an SSD if possible - as it is a microchip it wears out the more it is used. SSD for O/S only is how I understand it.

I don't think that's really the case any more

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sudkurvefcb72 said:

Hi everyone

would this laptop run fm17 with large database minimum 5 nations 10 leagues and around 100k players with 3d match? around how much estimated game speed will i get? how many nations and league can i load and play comfortably

• Intel Core i7-6500U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
  • 16 GB DDR4, 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD
  • 15.6 – inch diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080p)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)
  • 1 HDMI; 1 USB 2.0; 2 USB 3.0; 1 RJ-45
  • Windows 10

my curent laptop is realy bad i can't have crowd as it's become lagy and i get 2 stars for small database one nation and two leagues, im not happy at all its a HP 2GB ram, intel core 2.0 GHz, nvidia geforce 9200m

i realy need help as im not an expert and sorry for the long post, thanks 

Yes, you'll be able to run what you are asking on that...

Forget the stars... they are just an indicator and not a particularly accurate one at times.

6 hours ago, nikkif99uk said:

Any suggestions looking to buy ASAP. Many thanks for your help. 

18 minutes ago, ianscousemac said:

have a look at which one has the best processor.  I'd go for that.

Compare them here https://www.cpubenchmark.net

I'm guessing the ones at the top of the lists are the best? No idea what any of It means. When It comes to processors I have no clue what that mean. Software am good with hardware like graphics cards and processors no clue 

Evening all,

I'm looking for a little advice on upgrading my current rig, which is approximately 3.5-4 years old. I am terrible for just buying an entire new system every so often, but I'd prefer to start upgrading piecemeal.

Current specs are:

I7-3770 cpu @ 3.4ghz

8.00GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT640

64-bit operating system

The system runs fine, could do with a clean-up and it can occasionally lag when loading spreadsheets, and file manager has a slight tendency to crash. Where would you be starting with the upgrades here? More RAM? New graphics card? Take the plunge and bundle deal a new processor? It doesn't need to be super state-of-the-art from a gaming perspective,  running only FM, Total War and occasionally Civi. But I would just like to upgrade general performance.

PC sees heavy use and I have rudimentary knowledge of the tech side of things, but realistically the choice of upgrades is overwhelming and I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from those who are far more familiar with these sort of things. Or pointed towards any particularly impressive deals - I tend to only use Overclockers for components.

On 22/11/2016 at 08:35, Welshace said:

Btw...for anyone looking to spend around £400....  

This isn't bad :  http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop-black-10146352-pdt.html

When you say not bad, to what level? how smoothly could it run FM mate and at what point would it starts struggling?

I'm looking to buy a small laptop for FM17, I have found this laptop but wondered if it would be suitable:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146159-pdt.html

I won't be using the 3D function and only looking to use the small - medium database.

Can you confirm if this would be ok?

12 hours ago, AndySummers said:

Evening all,

I'm looking for a little advice on upgrading my current rig, which is approximately 3.5-4 years old. I am terrible for just buying an entire new system every so often, but I'd prefer to start upgrading piecemeal.

Current specs are:

I7-3770 cpu @ 3.4ghz

8.00GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT640

64-bit operating system

The system runs fine, could do with a clean-up and it can occasionally lag when loading spreadsheets, and file manager has a slight tendency to crash. Where would you be starting with the upgrades here? More RAM? New graphics card? Take the plunge and bundle deal a new processor? It doesn't need to be super state-of-the-art from a gaming perspective,  running only FM, Total War and occasionally Civi. But I would just like to upgrade general performance.

PC sees heavy use and I have rudimentary knowledge of the tech side of things, but realistically the choice of upgrades is overwhelming and I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from those who are far more familiar with these sort of things. Or pointed towards any particularly impressive deals - I tend to only use Overclockers for components.

What hard drive do you have?  If you're running a mechanical hard drive I would say upgrading to an SSD, at least for the operating system, is the first choice.  I would personally do a clean install of Windows onto a new SSD and have your current HDD as the second hard drive (although you will need to reinstall Steam etc).

Other than that, maybe a new graphics card as that one is a little old.  I don't think you necessarily need more RAM than 8GB.  That CPU is still pretty good.

23 hours ago, Ozil said:

Anyone try running with a Surface Pro 4 i5 8GB RAM? Debating whether I should use that or go 16GB or RAM but the price skyrockets too on those tablets.  As I don't really use my laptop these days I was looking at a tablet specifically for FM/EHM

I'd like to hear from SP4 users too, I would really like one and plan to use steam streaming for some games but would be grateful if those who have used one for FM could share their experiences (also looking at i5 8gb model, might also consider the i7)

1 minute ago, Harry1412 said:

Do u know any laptops that FM17 will work on that don't cost that much ??

I'm afraid that's about as vague as you could possibly be....

What's your budget? what do you mean by work? how many leagues? what else do you need the laptop for? etc

I have a budget of about £300.

I usually use a medium database with about 20 leagues.

I will only use my laptop for FM17 and Word Documents and the Internet.

I also want a laptop with Microsoft 10.

I'm looking for a deal on Black Friday.

I just want FM17 to work properly so good graphics, run fairly quick, etc.

Any Suggestions ??

Just now, Elliott J Miller said:

Ahh yeah..

Well it has the same spec apart from the ssd.. so it's a personal choice really...

I prefer the build quality from dell over hp and the after care too, but whether that's worth the extra £130...  I don't know... probably not.

9 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Ahh yeah..

Well it has the same spec apart from the ssd.. so it's a personal choice really...

I prefer the build quality from dell over hp and the after care too, but whether that's worth the extra £130...  I don't know... probably not.

Will it run 3d? If it's a yes going to order it asap. 

5 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

What hard drive do you have?  If you're running a mechanical hard drive I would say upgrading to an SSD, at least for the operating system, is the first choice.  I would personally do a clean install of Windows onto a new SSD and have your current HDD as the second hard drive (although you will need to reinstall Steam etc).

Thanks for the reply @Crispypaul.

Hard-drive is a 2TB 'local fixed disk' (mechanical?).

I usually also run an 500mb external drive to store my music files and photos and keep the main drive clutter-free.

Archived