New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

On 10/29/2016 at 14:38, robwesty85 said:

http://www.very.co.uk/dell-inspiron-17--5000-intelreg-coretrade-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-173-inch-full-hd-laptop-with-4gb-radeon-r5-m335-graphics-and-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-silver/1600100392.prd

After a laptop to play pretty much just FM17 on. As I'm fed up of having to stay sat at the desk now on my imac which runs FM16 fine. I don't want to spend loads and would like as big of a screen as possible. I ran the specs off this laptop on a website that I found on Google and everything was over 100% but I don't know how reliable these websites are. I just wanna run the main European leagues and maybe Brazil and Argentina. There's also 10% cashback on this so seems a good deal but wanted to get a second opinion.

http://www.very.co.uk/msi-gl62-6qc-intelreg-coretrade-i5nbspprocessor-12gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-156-inch-gaming-pc-laptop-with-nvidia-2gb-940m-graphics-black/1600065704.prd

Just found this one to even though it's only an i5 it according to the website I used earlier to check specs for running fm17 this one performed better. So out of the two which would you go for? Is the msi one worth the extra dollar?

Neither are worth the price when you consider both are overpriced... 

for example:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J612-408-MSI-GL62-6QD-408UK_1955707.html

Much better than either of those you posted for cheaper.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

The point I was trying to make is that without a budget... how do you judge what is worth the money?

example in point:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-ROG-GL552VW-DH71-HID1-i7-6700HQ-2-6-3-5GHz/dp/B016ZPSJW4

The laptop above is a 1/4 of the price of yours... is yours 4 times better?

57 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Neither are worth the price when you consider both are overpriced... 

for example:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J612-408-MSI-GL62-6QD-408UK_1955707.html

Much better than either of those you posted for cheaper.

Thanks welshace. I should have mentioned I was looking at very as I get 12 months interest free and have a 10% cashback deal on a lot of their laptops. I settled for this one in the end as the website game debate I mentioned in my original post had this one performing really really well. Hope I ain't bought a dud!!

http://www.very.co.uk/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-series-intelreg-coretrade-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx960m-4gb-dedicated-graphics-156in-full-hd-pc-gaming-laptop-black/1600128543.prd

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Can you explain what the difference is between them please Welshace if you have the time to do so as I appreciate your opinion.

The easiest way of describing the difference in this particular case would be the old favourite of a car analogy..

A top of the range Ferrari will certainly have a great top speed, look great, and have a lot of trimmings..

But for significantly cheaper, you could get a car that rivals it in almost every catagory.... 

The Ferrari is expensive because it's a vanity thing.. it's a status thing...

That said, if money is no issue at all.. why not go for the Ferrari?

4 minutes ago, robwesty85 said:

Thanks welshace. I should have mentioned I was looking at very as I get 12 months interest free and have a 10% cashback deal on a lot of their laptops. I settled for this one in the end as the website game debate I mentioned in my original post had this one performing really really well. Hope I ain't bought a dud!!

http://www.very.co.uk/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-series-intelreg-coretrade-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx960m-4gb-dedicated-graphics-156in-full-hd-pc-gaming-laptop-black/1600128543.prd

I'm sure you haven't .. but without being able to see what cpu it actually has in it.. couldn't tell you! .. I can't see where it says what i5 it has.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah I will go for the cheaper one, is the processor better then the 4 grand laptop, what makes it better ?

No the cpu is certainly not better....  but it's not as far behind as the extra 3 grand makes it sound...

Again, nothing about the one I suggested is better than the 4 grand one.. obviously not.. a simple google search would tell you that.. but as I say, its a personal choice.. budget to me, is always king...

13 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm sure you haven't .. but without being able to see what cpu it actually has in it.. couldn't tell you! .. I can't see where it says what i5 it has.

I thought that to so found the proper spec off dell's website. Here's the link to that.

http://m.dell.com/mt/www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7566-laptop/pd?oc=cn56601&model_id=inspiron-15-7566-laptop

Even though it's an i5 compared to all the others I was looking at with i7s according to game debate this trumps any of the i7s I looked at. It's so confusing out there when looking for good specs. I used to know a fair bit back in my teens but now I ain't got a clue!! 

15 hours ago, samrph said:

Just seen this as a deal of the day on saveonlaptops.co.uk http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/V0X62EAABU-HP-Pavilion-17-g131na_1934463.html

My budget is £400-£500 and looking for something that will run 3D fairly smooth, with a large database and up to 10 leagues loaded.

Any advice if this would be adequate and worth the money?

Cheers

Anyone able to provide any advice on my post?!? Really want to get something ordered for Friday!

Right today is the day i buy my laptop so any last minute help would be very much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me how to expect FM17 to run on this, how many nations and leagues should i expect to be able to run before it starts to run sluggish and yeah just how it will be in general cheers.

Intel core i5-6200u processor, dual core, 2.3GHZ, 3MB cache

Ram 8GB/ Storage 128GB SSD

If you havent guessed already youbare talking to a complete novice when it comes to all this so any advice is helpful :)

1 hour ago, samrph said:

Anyone able to provide any advice on my post?!? Really want to get something ordered for Friday!

I would expect that to meet your criteria. Good processor and dedicated graphics card. Will certainly handle your league/player requirements and should be able to handle 3D on high detail if not v.high.

7 minutes ago, Chuck_thered said:

Right today is the day i buy my laptop so any last minute help would be very much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me how to expect FM17 to run on this, how many nations and leagues should i expect to be able to run before it starts to run sluggish and yeah just how it will be in general cheers.

Intel core i5-6200u processor, dual core, 2.3GHZ, 3MB cache

Ram 8GB/ Storage 128GB SSD

If you havent guessed already youbare talking to a complete novice when it comes to all this so any advice is helpful :)

Would expect 100k+ players to run fine on that. What's your budget/expectation of 3D capability?

1 minute ago, martplfc1 said:

Would expect 100k+ players to run fine on that. What's your budget/expectation of 3D capability?

Budget is anything between 500-800, i dont play the 3D too much as im quite old school and like the classic look lol but i like to know the option is there.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1829315

This would run pretty much anything for an extra £99 if you can stretch.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1885798

This is also very useful and within budget.

You can get loads of i7s for your budget tbf. I'd go for the best processor you can afford, which is probably the i7 quad core 6700HQ.

2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1829315

This would run pretty much anything for an extra £99 if you can stretch.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1885798

This is also very useful and within budget.

You can get loads of i7s for your budget tbf. I'd go for the best processor you can afford, which is probably the i7 quad core 6700HQ.

Thanks mate and how would these be for the kids using the internet and what not?

They both have wifi connectivity. I suspect they would handle most online games quite easily. The more advanced games you may have to reduce the graphics quality.

Depends what the kids use the internet for really. Can't think of anything they couldn't handle online.

Hi welshace could u recommend a laptop for me that will play fm17 smoothly with a large database and all the top leagues with the brazilian and argentina leagues aswell, i havent played fm since 2013 mainly didnt have the money to upgrade and no time.. but recently got a new job in security long hours doing nothing really so perfect to play fm again my budget is around £500/£600 

Thanks for your help

On 27/10/2016 at 11:27, StevoWanderer said:

Hi,

I've just bought http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-7779-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn77903&model_id=inspiron-17-7779-2-in-1-laptop and realised it's a 2 core processor 7th generation i7. My current inspiron is a 3rd generation i7-3630qm 2.4ghz quad core processor. Would I notice any difference in performance with a quad core to a 2 core with a game like fm? I am assuming the spec of that laptop is more than good enough to play fm anyway? I also wanted to ask if the graphics card is good enough to run the 3d match engine at the highest settings?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I also forgot to mention the graphics card is a Geforce 940MX 2GB GDDR5?

On 10/28/2016 at 21:59, jakenelson94 said:

I have a MacBook air with OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5. The processor is a 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and Memory is 4GB.

Will the new release work smoothly on a mac with these specifications?

Thanks

Can anyone help me with this? Cheers

Hi Guys,

To cut a long story short, my beloved Alienware laptop of 6 years has just died, conveniently just short of the new FM being officially released!

I am kind of caught between two minds of either repairing it, or retiring it and upgrading (the last FM presented a significant struggle with large databases).

Having been lured into the aesthetics of the Alienware's, I am now much wiser to the fact that they're not the best spec in terms of value for money, so I'm looking for suggestions elsewhere.

Feel free to throw some potential options out there!

Thanks a lot.

Hi all,

I'm getting a new laptop for football manager. I have got a budget that can stretch to about £400 but would prefer one closer to £300 if at all possible. I usually play with three nations. I will use the laptop for basically only FM but may do a bit of coursework on it every now and then. Any help would be great. Cheers.

@Welshace 

Hi welshace could u recommend a laptop for me that will play fm17 smoothly with a large database and all the top leagues with the brazilian and argentina leagues aswell, i havent played fm since 2013 mainly didnt have the money to upgrade and no time.. but recently got a new job in security long hours doing nothing really so perfect to play fm again my budget is around £600/£700

Something that can handle fm17 like a dream with very high graphics and all the rest etc etc 

Thanks for your help

Hi guys just a quick question, and apologies if it has been asked already but is it possible to run FM17 on a notebook or a laptop with no disc drive? My son is wanting FM17 for Xmas so needs a laptop but the laptops he's looking at don't have a disc drive.

Any help much appreciated

11 minutes ago, CL78 said:

Hi guys just a quick question, and apologies if it has been asked already but is it possible to run FM17 on a notebook or a laptop with no disc drive? My son is wanting FM17 for Xmas so needs a laptop but the laptops he's looking at don't have a disc drive.

Any help much appreciated

Definitely - you just need to purchase a digital copy from a retailer (Game, Greenman Gaming, many other examples out there). You'll then get a product code to be inputted into Steam.  

10 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Or you can buy from Steam direct... or you can buy a disk if you want something to give him.. the case includes the code to input straight into steam to download the game fully.

Sorry, I forgot that - been so long since I had the boxed version!

Thanks guys - I already have FM17 installed on my own laptop which I bought from Steam, so obviously now I don't necessarily need a laptop with a disc drive anymore I just need a machine capable of playing the game!

Like I said they have been looking at the smaller laptops like Notebooks etc but none have the required spec and I don't want to pay an absolute fortune on a laptop just to play a game.

2 minutes ago, CL78 said:

Thanks guys - I already have FM17 installed on my own laptop which I bought from Steam, so obviously now I don't necessarily need a laptop with a disc drive anymore I just need a machine capable of playing the game!

Like I said they have been looking at the smaller laptops like Notebooks etc but none have the required spec and I don't want to pay an absolute fortune on a laptop just to play a game.

You're going about this the wrong way... how about you tell us your budget and tell us what you need the laptop to do?

21 minutes ago, CL78 said:

Ok no worries, I was looking at paying between £200-£300 for a laptop or I may even consider a desktop tower as I have a monitor he can use. I have 2 other children hence trying to keep the cost down!

Laptop wise.. you are basically looking at refurbished or second hand models really as £200 is really low, budget wise..

A tower is definitely more viable, but would need to include an OS of course... but will certainly suit your needs more in terms of being able to play the game on.

Hi Welshace

Sorry to trouble you again, was originally going to go for the MSI I found but due to a few unexpected things I have had to pay out for over the last couple of weeks, I need to reduce my budget by a couple of hundred.

Just wondered what you the below Acer?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-156-f15-intel-core-i5-6200u-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-with-dvdrw-silver-gaming-laptop/612-0833.prd?skuId=612-0833

Thanks mate :)

Andrew

Lads, I usually use FM on my PC (6 core and 3.2ghz), however I will be travelling for work and I want to know if I dust off my old laptop, will it run say a large dB and 10 leagues (or what will it run). 

Sony Vaio

Intel i5-3210m cpu @ 2.5 GHz

8 gb ram

windows 10 home 64 bit.

On a side note, can I install FM on the PC and laptop at the same time (move the save between the two and alternate? 

Cheers

10 hours ago, Cardoso12345 said:

Lads, I usually use FM on my PC (6 core and 3.2ghz), however I will be travelling for work and I want to know if I dust off my old laptop, will it run say a large dB and 10 leagues (or what will it run). 

Sony Vaio

Intel i5-3210m cpu @ 2.5 GHz

8 gb ram

windows 10 home 64 bit.

On a side note, can I install FM on the PC and laptop at the same time (move the save between the two and alternate? 

Cheers

You should be fine with that, I5-3210m has more grunt than most people give it it credit for, you will likely start to see a fair bit of slowdown the more you get into the save though.

As for the save, you can choose to save it in the steam cloud so you can load it wherever you have internet or you can just transfer it to a memory key/card, you can have steam and and FM on both devices but you'll only be able to play on one at a time, you probably already know this though so apologies if it sounds like I'm teaching you how to suck egg's lol

Just as an aside, is your laptop a Sony Vaio SVE 1513q1eb?

Hi guys would the below spec be good enough to run FM17?

Technical specifications for ASUS X541SA 15.6" Laptop - Silver

OVERVIEW
Type Laptop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
SPECIFICATION
Processor - Intel® Pentium® Processor N3710
- Dual-core
- 1.6 GHz / 2.56 GHz (Burst)
- 2 MB cache
Memory (RAM) 4 GB
Storage 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
SCREEN
Touchscreen No
Screen size 15.6"
Screen type LED
Resolution 1366 x 768
Screen features LED backlighting
CONNECTIVITY
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
Ethernet 10/100 Ethernet
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
USB - USB-C x 1
- USB 3.0 x 1
- USB 2.0 x 1
Video interface HDMI x 1
Audio interface 3.5 mm jack
MEDIA
Optical disc drive DVD/RW with double layer support

Cheers Welsh! I know its not the greatest spec but its only £250 and its for an Xmas prezzie for my son so I'm limited on funds! what is the most important factor to look at for requirements for the game? do you think it would be the processor?

Archived