New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Here's the laptop I found recently, I thought it was a decent offer considering  the quad core processor and the 12gb of RAM, would you recommend this laptop to someone looking to run about 10-12 playable nations? Thanks in advance

I would also like to point out that my budget is around £400-500, as a student that's all I can probably afford!

I also don't care too much for 3D Graphics.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, frank_olaf said:

Dell are releasing a new laptop with an i7-7700hq processor soon.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming

Release date set for tomorrow in the USA but not sure when it's coming out in the UK.

Lenovo are also releasing one but not till early February. 

CES is on at the moment as lots of companies are announcing new laptops.

Ok thanks for the information, much appreciated. Can you give me an update please if you hear anything on a release date. Any recommendations on a laptop for now?

23 hours ago, Welshace said:

For longevity sake it might be worth waiting for the new 7 series i7's come out fully and plumping for one of those...  good signs from them so far.

Are you able to recommend anything please mate? As I might just purchase one now

I am looking to buy a tablet to play FM Touch 17 whilst travelling. Normally I would post this in the "Touch Forum" but the Asus tablet below has a 2.33 GHz processor and 4GB RAM. Would the Android OS prevent it from playing the PC version of Touch or is there a chance it would work?

https://www.asus.com/es/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/specifications/

Thanks

50 minutes ago, Steve Atherton said:

I am looking to buy a tablet to play FM Touch 17 whilst travelling. Normally I would post this in the "Touch Forum" but the Asus tablet below has a 2.33 GHz processor and 4GB RAM. Would the Android OS prevent it from playing the PC version of Touch or is there a chance it would work?

https://www.asus.com/es/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/specifications/

Thanks

It's android, so only the android compatible tablet version of touch will work.

I'm looking for a computer that will run FM17 on optimal graphic settings, with downloaded kits, badges, faces etc. 

FM is the only game I play and was wondering if the below iMac would be able to run as per above (reluctant to move away from Apple) 

I'm fairly hopeless when it comes to computers so any help would be appreciated:

Product specifications

Brand
Apple
Graphics card
Intel HD Graphics 6000
Graphics card type
Dedicated
Hard drive
1TB
Memory (RAM)
8GB
Memory Card Slots
3-In-1 SD, SDHC, SDXC Slot
Model name / number
MK142B/A
NFC enabled
NO
Operating system
Mac OS X El Capitan
Ports
4x USB 3.0, 2x Thunderbolt, 1x Mini Display Port
Processor
Dual-Core 5th Generation Intel Core I5
Processor speed
1.6GHz To 2.7GHz With Turbo Boost

If by optrimal graphics you mean very high on all camera angles then you'll need a decent end dedicated graphics cards, a GTX 775M ot 970M are probably the only nVidia mobile cards that will be able to max out the graphics settings, the step below 770M/965M should do a job but there might be the odd scenario where there is too much going on for them to deliver a perfectly smooth match expereince on max settings.

Edit: Just noticed you're referring to an iMAc rather than a Macbook, in this case you're options are limited by cost the only iMac's with graphics cards capable of running max settings only come in machines with Retina displays & that adds a least £700 to the overall cost.

1 hour ago, Barside said:

If by optrimal graphics you mean very high on all camera angles then you'll need a decent end dedicated graphics cards, a GTX 775M ot 970M are probably the only nVidia mobile cards that will be able to max out the graphics settings, the step below 770M/965M should do a job but there might be the odd scenario where there is too much going on for them to deliver a perfectly smooth match expereince on max settings.

Edit: Just noticed you're referring to an iMAc rather than a Macbook, in this case you're options are limited by cost the only iMac's with graphics cards capable of running max settings only come in machines with Retina displays & that adds a least £700 to the overall cost.

Cheers mate, I could live with the 3D settings still being at a good standard as long as it's better than my current 8 year old iMac which doesn't show crowds and the 3D engine is like watching a game of subbueto!

I noticed an iMac a few hundred dearer with retina display and the below settings, would this still run at a high standard or would I need to go dearer again?

Cheers for the help I'm none the wiser when it comes to this side of things:

Graphics card
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
Graphics card type
Dedicated
Processor
Quad-Core 5th Generation Intel Core I5
Processor speed
3.1GHz To 3.6GHz With Turbo Boost

3 hours ago, pm37 said:

Both will run fm how you've asked, but the Lenovo is better.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:51, Rino72. said:

Cheers mate, I could live with the 3D settings still being at a good standard as long as it's better than my current 8 year old iMac which doesn't show crowds and the 3D engine is like watching a game of subbueto!

I noticed an iMac a few hundred dearer with retina display and the below settings, would this still run at a high standard or would I need to go dearer again?

Cheers for the help I'm none the wiser when it comes to this side of things:

Graphics card
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
Graphics card type
Dedicated
Processor
Quad-Core 5th Generation Intel Core I5
Processor speed
3.1GHz To 3.6GHz With Turbo Boost

Anyone able to advise on above? Would the 3D settings still be at a good standard with the above specs? Cheers 

Hi all,

I am looking for a laptop that will run maybe 5-6 leagues. The last laptop I bought was about £900 and broke after 3 years so I don't really want to spend that much. 

Will this one run what I am after?http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-6-laptop-with-the-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i5-processor-white-10151808-pdt.html

PS. I am not to bothered about the 3D match engine just as long as it will process 5-6 leagues pretty fast etc. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, PAJ said:

Hi all,

I am looking for a laptop that will run maybe 5-6 leagues. The last laptop I bought was about £900 and broke after 3 years so I don't really want to spend that much. 

Will this one run what I am after?http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-6-laptop-with-the-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i5-processor-white-10151808-pdt.html

PS. I am not to bothered about the 3D match engine just as long as it will process 5-6 leagues pretty fast etc. 

Thanks

Yep. that will run it fine... it's the newest generation of 15's and a decent one at that... not a bad price either.

If anyone has been waiting for the new i7-7700hq processors, like I have, they are starting to become available now. 

HP has a few laptops with that processor:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1DN33EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1DN37EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1DM39EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

and MSI has one coming out on January 20th on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1670UK-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Notebook/dp/B01NAP5GO3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484388391&sr=8-1&keywords=i7+7700hq

Dell are having a sale on their current Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptops with the 17-6700hq processors which makes me think they'll be releasing the 7th gen ones soon (which is already available in the USA, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop)

Anyone know anything about this model? Can't seem to find any reviews yet the processor and graphics card seem decent.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/stormforce-velocity-core-i5-6300hq-16gb-1tb-geforce-gtx-960-dvd-rw-1.7-inch-7240-9072/version.asp

I'm after running 10 or so leagues full detail, large database, 3d graphics at a good level. Think it could handle it?

I've been trying to research laptops, but honestly finding it all very confusing. Not being too technically minded about the technology that goes into laptops, I'm hoping you guys can help me out?

I have a PC I use for gaming with these specs: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PhWJhM

It's very much fit for purpose, BUT... it's connected to the TV. I've played FM on a laptop (MacBook Pro) for years and got used to the mobility of it, and would rather have that again than play on a huge screen.

So if I want to get a laptop that's really only for FM, Minecraft and browsing the internet etc, what do I need to look for? Budget is up for debate at the moment, but am I unreasonable to expect to pay something like £400 to last a good few years before I need to replace it?

@bennymc

£400 would get you a laptop that would play the game fine,...  but not spectacularly tbh...

Look for an i5 or i7 to start with... we're up to the 7th generation now, but they are brand spanking new in the last few months so look at the 6 series cpu's as they should be dropping in price...

8gb ram minimum.. any more is great, but more a luxury rather than necessity.

dedicated graphics card is nice, not essential for fm really, unless you can't live without the 3d engine at high settings.

Thanks @Welshace, so something like the one someone posted just above?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-6-laptop-with-the-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i5-processor-white-10151808-pdt.html

I think it lacks the dedicated card, but as long as I can run FM at a reasonable speed and the 3D doesn't lag, I'll be happy. How much more do you think is reasonable to expect to spend to go from "fine - spectacular" as you put it? Perhaps a higher price is worth it if I get more years out of it.

Yep the one you linked to would be decent.. newest i5 too.. which is nice.

For an upgrade, i'd only look to do so if you are comfortable adding an extra couple of hundred onto your budget, which  would make the step up worth it really...

You could go for something like :  http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/stormforce-wildfire-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-geforce-gt940-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-w-7240-9067/version.asp

But frankly, the 7200u, while supposedly being a low power cpu, it performs as well as the older gen hq's like in the one above.

I'd stick with the 7200 that you linked.

Hi all :)

I am looking into buying a new laptop mainly for playing FM but also for everyday use like browsing internet etc. Now i have very little if any technical knowledge of computer specs.... basically i havent a clue what i should buy or be looking for really !!!!

Id like it to be easily be able to play fm and also be good everyday usage. Budget would be around £400/500 but would consider others that are higher than this.

If anyone can make me some suggestions that would be great!

41 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Oh it runs well but I want a massive game full of leagues. I not sure if it's 64bit

Press [window key]+[Break] keys, the System Info screen should tell you what type your OS is.

I have 16GB of RAM and I am lucky to use 5.5GB of it while playing FM. My file is running about 80,000 players but even processing much larger games I haven't seen the memory consumption rise drastically while playing.

11 hours ago, Powermonger said:

Press [window key]+[Break] keys, the System Info screen should tell you what type your OS is.

I have 16GB of RAM and I am lucky to use 5.5GB of it while playing FM. My file is running about 80,000 players but even processing much larger games I haven't seen the memory consumption rise drastically while playing.

It's 64-bit 

is it worth buying some ram 

24 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

It's 64-bit 

is it worth buying some ram 

For Football manager? No

as mentioned above it rarely reaches 5 gig

extra RAM is not the quick fix it used to be, do you have an SSD drive?  If you don't that would be a better investment to be honest

23 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Ok so it will not get any faster then it already is? 

Only if your system is starved of memory already. However, upgrading to faster RAM and then loading the RAMs XMP profile into your BIOS will help in speeding up processing, just adding more RAM will likely not make much difference.

Hi,

Looking at getting a new PC and thinking of the following -

Processor - AMD FX-6300 x6
Graphics - 2 GB Geforce GT1050
Ram - 8GB DDR 1600 (though I could stretch to 12gb if it would make a difference)

This enough do you think for decent 3D graphics on FM17 with around 10 leagues top loaded? Spending just short of £600 on all the above for the base unit inclluding Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

@Tranmeremad

Great choice of graphics card, and 8gb ram is more than enough for fm and most games .. stick with that and you can always upgrade later if necessary.

I can only assume you've picked the cpu as a sort of compromise between price and power,  are you getting the black edition? and are you going to overclock it?

It was, and still is, a great cpu for it's price, but consider the value of going with a more recent cpu for future proofing sake maybe? That's not to say i'm going against the choice,  It's still high on my list of go to budget cpu's for budget gaming pc's even now, just giving you something to think about as that cpu is getting on a bit now :)  That said, if you stick with it.. don't understimate the value of a good motherboard that would allow you to upgrade to a better cpu down the line.

But yes, that will easily run decent 3d graphics for fm, very easily.

Thanks, not sure which edition it is asI cannot remember to be honest. Not bothering with overclocking.

Picked that one as I have around £580 ish to spend and that is the best I have found. Only really play FM these days as other things tend to get in the way!

Would this be a better bet  if I can strech my funds a bit -

AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition 3.50Ghz

Memory- 2 X 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
Graphics AMD Radeon RX460 2GB

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P

If you aren't overclocking, stick with your original spec.. the 6300 is fine... I prefer the 1050 graphics card too, it's great.

That said, if you aren't playing much else other than fm, I would suggest getting the best cpu you can find and placing less emphasis on the graphics card..  Fm really isn't graphics intensive and you play high on a decent integrated card these days tbh. and could probably spend £100-£200 less.

You can even get a pre built system with a skylake i5 and a decent graphics card for under £500 these days..

As an example in the £500 to £600 range:

https://pc-tec.co.uk/core-i5-6500-skylake-pc-with-ddr4.html

Just add a graphics card and you' re good to go.

Archived