Knockout stage

PMLF

27 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Early talk is Argentina are either going with the same line-up as last game or dropping Higuaín out for Pávon. Think they have an ok chance if Pávon but not with Higuaín.

Either way Di María and Enzo can consider themselves lucky keeping their place.

And Mascherano, who was arguably Nigeria's best player

Argentina needs 3 midfielders against France, even then they have no chance of keeping up with them.

Messi should probably get the striker role because he's useless in defense and they will need all the defensive help they can get.

Pavon and Di Maria out wide, probably.

18 hours ago, JDownie said:

So it is quite high compared to recent tournaments but historically not a big change.

E: Just realised that it probably relates to the continent. European hosts in 06 and 18. South African and South American hosts in 10 and 16, favours the South American teams more I guess. Korea/Japan not as warm climate wise as them, so would suit the Europeans again.

It probably does relate to continent to some degree but if you go back further then WC's in 1998, -94, -90 and -86 also had 10 UEFA teams in the last 16 and in -82 they had 10 out of 12 in the second round group stage.

If anything it is the 2010/-14 WC's that stand out as unusual. UEFA performance was amazingly poor at those even though they took 5 of the 6 medals.  ;)  

1 minute ago, Mr Wallin said:

It probably does relate to continent to some degree but if you go back further then WC's in 1998, -94, -90 and -86 also had 10 UEFA teams in the last 16 and in -82 they had 10 out of 12 in the second round group stage.

If anything it is the 2010/-14 WC's that stand out as unusual. UEFA performance was amazingly poor at those even though they took 5 of the 6 medals.  ;)  

In truth the situation is somewhat still the same as 50+ years ago, it's Europe and South America dominating, while the other continents still lag behind, even if the gap got slightly smaller.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

It's looking a bit like 2002, crazy if Brazil does not win it! :D 

It would be crazy if you didn't win if you had to face only 3 of those teams however instead Mexico, probably Belgium and then France or Uruguay stand in your way before one of those, it isn't that easy ;)

As for England, Colombia is no walkover then probably Sweden who we always struggle against then either the hosts or a Croatia team who are better than us everywhere, hoping we beat Colombia then get Switzerland followed by Denmark then a final Vs Japan :D

What I want to happen:

On the top half of the draw, Uruguay shock France. Belgium shock Brazil. On the bottom half of the draw, it follows a more natural progression and Croatia and England make it to the semi-finals. On two epic semi-finals, Belgium beat Uruguay and Croatia beat England - both brand new teams to their first ever final beating former long-gone champions, both exciting surprises at this stage anyway. In a Belgium-Croatia final... I can't choose the winner, it'd be too cool of a match. :cool:

What is actually going to happen:

On the top half of the draw, nothing else happens and everything follows natural order. Brazil-France semi-final and Brazil win in a dull cagey game. On the bottom half of the draw, 1 hour from now the Croatians get complacent and trip up over the Danes, booking a slightly crazy Russia-Denmark quarters... which Russia wins with help from the ref. England make it to the semis anyway but in a Russia-England semi-final... the ref helps the Russians again. Brazil gets an easy opponent in the final and predictably win fairly comfortably.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

What I want to happen:

On the top half of the draw, Uruguay shock France. Belgium shock Brazil. On the bottom half of the draw, it follows a more natural progression and Croatia and England make it to the semi-finals. On two epic semi-finals, Belgium beat Uruguay and Croatia beat England - both brand new teams to their first ever final beating former long-gone champions, both exciting surprises at this stage anyway. In a Belgium-Croatia final... I can't choose the winner, it'd be too cool of a match. :cool:

What is actually going to happen:

On the top half of the draw, nothing else happens and everything follows natural order. Brazil-France semi-final and Brazil win in a dull cagey game. On the bottom half of the draw, 1 hour from now the Croatians get complacent and trip up over the Danes, booking a slightly crazy Russia-Denmark quarters... which Russia wins with help from the ref. England make it to the semis anyway but in a Russia-England semi-final... the ref helps the Russians again. Brazil gets an easy opponent in the final and predictably win fairly comfortably.

Your what you hope is what I've predicted for the rest of the tournament, with England beating Uruguay and Belgium beating Croatia :lol:

I didn't believe at first that Brazil could win the title, but now I do, with so many top teams out (apart from France).

(Brazil to be eliminated by Belgium in the quarterfinals then, I guess, as I probably jinxed Brazil). :D 

20 minutes ago, PMLF said:

I didn't believe at first that Brazil could win the title, but now I do, with so many top teams out (apart from France).

(Brazil to be eliminated by Belgium in the quarterfinals then, I guess, as I probably jinxed Brazil). :D 

All the teams are playing more and more alike (kill the game, spend 90 minutes sitting back while trying to bundle through a packed area to get a deflected shot in or a VAR penalty, or hope for long-range brilliance like Di Maria and Coutinho).

But Brazil are the only ones that look like they can score every match while the other team struggles to even get a chance through their defence. They also have someone in Neymar who likes to kill the game when they have the lead with his obsession with getting fouls, which helps.

France got 4 against Argentina, but you would expect real challengers to tear apart Argentina's 'defence' anyway, and they still let in 3 goals.

8 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

All the teams are playing more and more alike (kill the game, spend 90 minutes sitting back while trying to bundle through a packed area to get a deflected shot in or a VAR penalty, or hope for long-range brilliance like Di Maria and Coutinho).

But Brazil are the only ones that look like they can score every match while the other team struggles to even get a chance through their defence. They also have someone in Neymar who likes to kill the game when they have the lead with his obsession with getting fouls, which helps.

France got 4 against Argentina, but you would expect real challengers to tear apart Argentina's 'defence' anyway, and they still let in 3 goals.

The bold part is the key, I think. If you don't concede, you are much closer to win as you don't need to score many goals. Brazil scored 1+2+2+2 so far, which is not that impressive at first glance but conceded 1+0+0+0, so we ended up winning those games (except Switzerland).

34 minutes ago, PMLF said:

The bold part is the key, I think. If you don't concede, you are much closer to win as you don't need to score many goals. Brazil scored 1+2+2+2 so far, which is not that impressive at first glance but conceded 1+0+0+0, so we ended up winning those games (except Switzerland).

That's what happens when your coach is tight rather than dung...

Spoiler

Tite... Dunga...

I mean I know it's "chee chee"... but it works if you understand English slang...

Quarterfinals:

DhNX1ReXcAEMLd1.jpg

Two teams from South America, six from Europe. Europe guaranteed to have a team in the final.

England clearly favorites in their side of the playoffs.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Quarterfinals:

DhNX1ReXcAEMLd1.jpg

Two teams from South America, six from Europe. Europe guaranteed to have a team in the final.

Worst team in side A better than the best in side B?

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Worst team in side A better than the best in side B?

Yes, I think so.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Imo

Brazil>France>Uruguay>Belgium=Croatia=England>Sweden>Russia

I think Belgium are slightly better than Croatia (and England).

Imo

Brazil>France>Uruguay>Belgium=Croatia=England>Sweden>Russia

Yeah I'd agree with that fully. 

Honestly could see any of the sides on the England half making the final, which is nuts really.

Just now, PMLF said:

Yes, I think so.

I think Belgium are slightly better than Croatia.

I put Belgium, Croatia and England in the same tier.

Nothing can change my view of Belgium defense being atrocious.

Unless Martinez completely changes their defensive setup, they lose by 2-3 goals against Brazil.

I put Belgium, Croatia and England in the same tier.

Nothing can change my view of Belgium defense being atrocious.

Unless Martinez completely changes their defensive setup, they lose by 2-3 goals against Brazil.

Yes with a proper manager Belgium could be comfortably the 3rd best side left. But Martinez does the exact opposite of getting the best out of em.

15 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Quarterfinals:

DhNX1ReXcAEMLd1.jpg

England clearly favorites in their side of the playoffs.

Brazil have more titles than those other teams altogether. :cool: :) 

5 vs 4

12 hours ago, G-Man11 said:

Yeah I'd agree with that fully. 

Honestly could see any of the sides on the England half making the final, which is nuts really.

I'd agree with this as well. Uruguay if they were on the other side of the draw would be favourites to make the final. Yet they're probably the weakest on their side (only just mind...)

4 hours ago, kpain16 said:

All the more reason Brazil must win this title!

Uruguay and Croatia very impressive given their population.

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

All the more reason Brazil must win this title! 

Uruguay and Croatia very impressive given their population. 

More impressive considering they're constantly on that level.

Croatia qualified for 10 out of 12 competitions since the indenpencence. Missed in 2000 and 2010 by one win margin.

6 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Only Europeans left now, and Europe will win their 4th WC in a row.

Brazil starting to reach a long period without titles.

By the next World Cup it will be 20 years without a WC (not even a final appearance in that time following). 

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

By the next World Cup it will be 20 years without a WC (not even a final appearance in that time following). 

Yes, it's getting close to the 24-year period from 1970 to 1994.

11 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Yes, it's getting close to the 24-year period from 1970 to 1994.

I love how this is like a serious problem. :D 4 cups without becoming world champs, the drama. :D

Just now, noikeee said:

I love how this is like a serious problem. :D 4 cups without becoming world champs, the drama. :D

Yes, we are supposed to win every couple of WCs. :D 

There is also the silly 'we lost to ourselves' tradition, as if the other team were clueless and could never normally beat us.

9 hours ago, PMLF said:

Apparently it's the first time ever that none of the big four (Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina) reach the semis.

Funnily enough I've been thinking all tournament about whether Argentina really belong in that very top group of teams. They 'only' have two wins, coming from an 8-year period, the first at home and the second when they had Maradona in his best years (though I should point out I'm not calling them a 'one-man team'), with just one final appearance before that way back in the first 1930 World Cup. I know that for many years they were hampered by Italy in particular being able to take a lot of their players, but even in recent history 2014 is the only time they've been beyond the quarter-finals since 1990. It's still a decent record (and definitely better than England) but not one that seems to justify that status.

6 hours ago, deltablue said:

Funnily enough I've been thinking all tournament about whether Argentina really belong in that very top group of teams. They 'only' have two wins, coming from an 8-year period, the first at home and the second when they had Maradona in his best years (though I should point out I'm not calling them a 'one-man team'), with just one final appearance before that way back in the first 1930 World Cup. I know that for many years they were hampered by Italy in particular being able to take a lot of their players, but even in recent history 2014 is the only time they've been beyond the quarter-finals since 1990. It's still a decent record (and definitely better than England) but not one that seems to justify that status.

Good post. Argentina and Spain are always wrongfully considered big teams in my eyes. 

If Argentina and Spain are big dogs on the International stage, so are Uruguay. 

7 hours ago, deltablue said:

Argentina's historical record is still above most other teams though, but they are indeed a bit below Brazil, Italy and Germany.

51 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Good post. Argentina and Spain are always wrongfully considered big teams in my eyes. 

If Argentina and Spain are big dogs on the International stage, so are Uruguay. 

Uruguay's success was mostly 60+ years ago, while Spain only had success in the last couple of decades.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Argentina's historical record is still above most other teams though, but they are indeed a bit below Brazil, Italy and Germany.

Uruguay's success was mostly 60+ years ago, while Spain only had success in the last couple of decades.

Argentina's success was mostly 40+ years ago. 

I sure as **** don't remember it. Argentina are a nothing team to younger generations who didn't see Maradona. Even with Messi and making the 2014 final. 

17 hours ago, PMLF said:

Apparently it's the first time ever that none of the big four (Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina) reach the semis.

First time without Brazil or Germany since the inaugural World Cup in 1930.

Just now, JDownie said:

Argentina's success was mostly 40+ years ago. 

I sure as **** don't remember it. Argentina are a nothing team to younger generations who didn't see Maradona. Even with Messi and making the 2014 final. 

I was born the year the last time Argentina won it and sure as hell don't feel 40+ yet.

26 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I was born the year the last time Argentina won it and sure as hell don't feel 40+ yet.

I was pretty much born during the opening ceremony of that World Cup, or so my family tell me ;)

Archived