Shock Horror, a third of Scots want England to lose

Redshift

I’m glad the Government is here to find these things out :D

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/06/14/third-scots-actively-want-english-football-team-lo/

With England’s first match of the World Cup set to kick off on Monday next week, it is apparent that the three lions side cannot rely on the support of England’s northern neighbours.

New YouGov Omnibus research reveals that only 13% of Scots want England to win the world cup. This stands in contrast to the 65% of English people who want the English team to win.

In fact, it seems that a significant proportion of Scots will actively be rooting for England’s opponents.

I’m more shocked to see only 65% of English want England to win. 

Just now, skybluedave said:

Just a third? Why can't we be friends. I love Scotland though, would love to see them qualify for a tournament again.

Of course we're friends.

The Scots wish to see England lose (at any sport) is not to be confused with any anti-English feelings or sentiment. Rather, it is the accumulation of thousands of years of military and political history and almost total dominance of the use of hubris by the English.

15 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yougov isn’t the government ffs. It’s a company that do political polls (hence the name) and consumer surveys for market research.

14 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

YouGov is not the Government - it is a public listed company.

Oops. I thought because they had Gov in their name that they may have been affiliated with the Government in some way. 

:ackter:

21 minutes ago, warlock said:

Long before either nation existed, then? 

Ok, since about 843 then, although an identifiable "Scottish" kingdom was in existence from at least Roman times.

yea and their monarchs became English monarchs, Scotland tried to conquer some bit of central America, it failed (disease, naff all there, probably bad sunburn...) ran out of money, and the act of union passed by both governments to bail Scotland out.

I don't really care to be honest, if England manage to get past the potential teams (on paper) to win the final then they'll deserve it

it's going to be a tough ask though

• SI Staff
23 minutes ago, TM said:

I don't really care to be honest, if England manage to get past the potential teams (on paper) to win the final then they'll deserve it

it's going to be a tough ask though

This. There used to be a huge build up and talk of winning it, continual references to 1966 so it was amusing to see it all go wrong. The commentators are the worst for it.

Now there are much better players in other teams than England have it isn't as likely that they'll win it and it isn't expected. Much more low key.

These days if they done a strongest XI from qualified teams I doubt any English players would get in it. Might work in their favour though as they could be a decent counter attacking side.

23 minutes ago, Ter said:

This. There used to be a huge build up and talk of winning it, continual references to 1966 so it was amusing to see it all go wrong. The commentators are the worst for it.

Now there are much better players in other teams than England have it isn't as likely that they'll win it and it isn't expected. Much more low key.

These days if they done a strongest XI from qualified teams I doubt any English players would get in it. Might work in their favour though as they could be a decent counter attacking side.

Kane and Walker?

We only had Sol Campbell in the 2002 FIFA All Star team and John Terry in 2006 in recent years (I would have had Ashley Cole too) so its not like they've been that well regarded anyway.

I've got to the stage in my life where in equal amounts I'd like to see England win it or go out in the most hilarious fashion possible.

Iceland was an absolute hoot.

Archived