Assistant's Advice Good or Bad

Do you pay much attention to the match/opposition advice given by your assistant, or go with your own tactics and player setup regardless? Even though most of the results I get using the assistant's advice are wins (just about!), it's like my AM always recommends a shape and setup that doesn't really suit the players I've brought in or for the full way I want to play. Part of me thinks "the AM must be right, it's part of the game A.I." but by the same token, different AMs will suggest different things. My AM suggests a lot of tweaks and changes from match to match, but results are very hit and miss.

Any thoughts?

He changes his mind more often than I change my underwear. I don't pay much attention to him, other than the team selection button (I'm lazy). 

Besides, staff have attributes too.. If you have an awful assistant, should you listen to him? No? 

On my current save I'm mostly ignoring him because I'm playing a different tactic to his favourite, so he'll always just recommend playing with his preferred tactic which is really annoying. I'll take hints though, so if he suggests playing with a control or attacking mentality I'll know that I'm expecting to win the game convincingly and so I'll set up accordingly. Conversely if he recommends a standard mentality (rarely less than this because I'm at a top team) then I'll know that it might be best to set up more conservatively with my player roles etc.

On a previous game I was playing with a 4231 which was my assistant's preferred tactic, and he had extremely high scores for tactical knowledge, and just tactical training, so I thought I'd be daft not to listen to him a bit more.

13 minuti fa, Tiger666 ha scritto:

I turn all advice off apart from injury notifications in game. Everything else, backroom advice, contextual etc I turn off. Also ignore what your staff say about training preferred moves. It's all just noise imo.

But...

we are being seriously overrun/outnumbered in midfield!!!

Sometimes the advice given is good.

Sometimes it's the last thing you should do.

The tricky bit, is working out which it is :D

7 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

But...

we are being seriously overrun/outnumbered in midfield!!!

Yeah .. I see that mentioned a lot too.

Especially when I'm playing a tiered 3-5 man midfield and the ai has a flat 4-5 man one.

The pregame advise can be useful. The in-game advice is so bad it should be removed - just confuses newer players and is frankly a shameful feature. For instance, if your defence is clearing a lot of aerial balls, he'll suggest you're doing well in the air and reccomend you pump long balls up to your 5ft tall lone striker with a jumping reach of 3.

31 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

The pregame advise can be useful. The in-game advice is so bad it should be removed - just confuses newer players and is frankly a shameful feature. For instance, if your defence is clearing a lot of aerial balls, he'll suggest you're doing well in the air and reccomend you pump long balls up to your 5ft tall lone striker with a jumping reach of 3.

This is the one that annoys me more than any other bit of feedback from the assistants! Hopefully a future version of the ME will include some sort of check to see which players are "winning their fair share of headers" before suggesting we start going route one.

1 hour ago, Spurs08 said:

haha! yeah i'm new to fm18 full and the ingame advice often makes no sense. the instructions would be the last thing a team would do in real life, or the most obscure player is "running the show and needs to be closed down".

I always get 'We don;t have anyone marking the posts at corners' but I never have anyone on the posts, haven't done in years, but he doesn't learn/take any notice of the set piece routines we/he trained in the match prep.

Also, I have noticed conflicting advice regularly - lost count of how many times he says 'Our long passes are working, we should tell them to play more direct' then within five minutes, 'We should use shorter passing'.

Like others, some of the pre-game advice is helpful, but he always suggests using his favoured formation regardless of the team tactics set up. I often use his pre-game suggestions as a 'Plan B' if MY set up isn't working in the match.

Like many things in the game, assistant advice needs to be viewed with caution and actioned only if you agree with it.  Often it is nonsensical, even with an assistant with great attributes, so like all advice in the game, use your own judgement.

1 hour ago, Colonel Getafe said:

I've decided to largely ignore everything my assistant suggests. I'm currently unbeaten and 3rd in the league. :D

Would be top if you only bloody listened ...... :ackter:

I always read it, then guess whether it makes sense or not - usually not.

8 hours ago, Snorks said:

Would be top if you only bloody listened ...... :ackter:

I always read it, then guess whether it makes sense or not - usually not.

I do read it, then ignore most of it. I arranged a friendly just to implement every single thing he suggested. Lost 5-1.

I let my AM set opposition instructions (I do the rest) and he's spot on every time (Buvac at LFC)

Basically, I trust them - providing the stats in the right areas are high (tactical)!

12 hours ago, FrazT said:

Like many things in the game, assistant advice needs to be viewed with caution and actioned only if you agree with it.  Often it is nonsensical, even with an assistant with great attributes, so like all advice in the game, use your own judgement.

I'm intrigued to know, are the kind of decisions the AM suggests the same as the ones AI managers are likely to employ?  I just wondered if the AI managers analyse the game in the same way an AM would.

In keeping with the theme in the post though, I feel the AM can be an interesting source of information about trends in a match, much the same way stats highlight things that should be considered.  I don't see stats and AM feedback as answers, but questions that need to be answered.  There can be varying reasons as to why one specific trend is happening in a game and x different solutions depending on what's causing that trend to occur.  Mis-identifying or assuming the cause can be more damaging than ignoring it.

3 minutes ago, borivoje213 said:

I'm intrigued to know, are the kind of decisions the AM suggests the same as the ones AI managers are likely to employ?  I just wondered if the AI managers analyse the game in the same way an AM would.

why wouldn't they? Their stats fields are the same...

1 minute ago, ZoDiAC_ said:

why wouldn't they? Their stats fields are the same...

Exactly my thinking! But given that the things AMs suggest are considered nonsense, how to AI managers produce anything resembling playable if they're applying such instructions?

1 minute ago, borivoje213 said:

Exactly my thinking! But given that the things AMs suggest are considered nonsense, how to AI managers produce anything resembling playable if they're applying such instructions?

They don't, to be honest. A decent human player going through enough seasons will beat the AI on tactics, completely destroy them in the transfer market, and rise up through the leagues. That's why so many people are still able to take a random lowly club and guide them to the Premier League. It's not the worst AI ever, but it's not even close to the level of an amateur human player, let alone an actual professional football manager/

3 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

They don't, to be honest. A decent human player going through enough seasons will beat the AI on tactics, completely destroy them in the transfer market, and rise up through the leagues. That's why so many people are still able to take a random lowly club and guide them to the Premier League. It's not the worst AI ever, but it's not even close to the level of an amateur human player, let alone an actual professional football manager/

That's a fair point.

I ignore him on almost everything except man-marking. And there, I never click "apply advice" as for some ridiculous reason the AM will have your AMR mark their AMR or something ridiculous like that. 

I do find myself greatly frustrated by in-game the "Always Ignore" option seemingly being meaningless - I click it, then get the same advice a minute later. Does anyone know if there's a way to tweak it so that all my assistant tells me is when to close down / mark a player? 

Archived