Demo and system specs

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do I check my spec, RAM etc?

The quickest way I think is to right click on the my computer icon and select properties. This will tell you the amount of ram you have, the processor speed\type

Sounds great, I'm liking the iPod-like copy protection thing. Much better than the initial reports of having to phone someone up when you'd run out of licenses, no matter what. I'm glad I'll have the option to regain my licence by uninstalling if I have computer problems. :thup:

Interesting news Miles, something which I hope goes well for you guys. I hope we don't have another Bioshock or Spore on our hands in terms of the licenses. It will help me out a lot though :)

just another question

if I authenticate the game online do I have to be online every time I open the game or just only the first time??

According to Miles, if you opt for steam, then you need to have it on each time you load FM. So I would imagine the other online way would require you to be online each time you start up the game.

• SI Staff
Questions to clarify copy protection:

- Will you guarantee the authentication service "indefinitely"? That is, if I reinstall the game 5 years hence, will I still be able to authenticate?

- If I understand correctly, if my PC dies catastrophically with the game installed, than it will forever eat away one of my installs.

- After authentication, no more network connection necessary? (apart from obvious multiplayer and patching)

Other than that, the direction in copy protection seems good.

1) Yes.

2) Yes - but you have 5, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can also talk to, or email, SEGA customer service and they will likely ask some questions but be happy to help (they're very nice, and based in our building).

3) Correct, unless you authenticate through Steam, which I have been told requires you to be online (although I believe there is a Steam offline mode, but do not personally know how this works - the resident Steam expert isn't here today)

Presumably on release the manual will give some more detailed instructions as to how to authenticate the game?

It's on screen when you install the game.

if i format the harddrive, which would obviously remove the game (but not via the uninstall option) will this give me back one of my 5 installs?

because you mention in the instance of re-installing windows that you would have to uninstall teh game from your machine first before you get the lisence back.

basically wondering how the game works out whether you have had 5 installs or not

Any technical geniouses, will I be able to run 3D with a 128MB Nvidia Geforce 6200? Please help me!

I'm by no means a technical genius, however my GF is an she says you will be able to run it although your about at the minnimum usage.

"PC System Requirements

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater."

I got a 128MB Nvidia FX 5200, does that mean i won't be able to watch the 3d matches?

So when you install on a laptop, and authenticate through the internet, is it authorised for that laptop or that internet connection? ie: if I connected it to a different wi-fi connection would it still work or would it need to be authorised for that too?

Also, I have this laptop

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 Processor speed(1.83 GHz, 667 MHz, 2 MB Cache)Memory Size4 GB MB Memory TypeDDR2 RAM Hard Drive Capacity320 GB Graphics Card TypeMOBILE INTEL GMA X3100Graphics MemoryShared MB

would this even be enough to run the game?

"PC System Requirements

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater."

I got a 128MB Nvidia FX 5200, does that mean i won't be able to watch the 3d matches?

According to logic 5900 Ultra >>>> Geforce FX 5200... so chances are u'll either run it very slowly or not start at all... i bet on the first one tho ...

Any technical geniouses, will I be able to run 3D with a 128MB Nvidia Geforce 6200? Please help me!

Like i told you earlier, your card is part of the Nvidia 6 Series which uses a newer technology than the 5900 (which is Nvidia 5 series). Also like you said it might outperform the 6200 in some aspects due to some reasons BUT the card is newer than the minimum required so it should run it fine.

• SI Staff
According to Miles, if you opt for steam, then you need to have it on each time you load FM. So I would imagine the other online way would require you to be online each time you start up the game.

Not at all. You don't need to be online to run Steam either, apart from the first time you boot up the game to authenticate.

Sounds great, I'm liking the iPod-like copy protection thing. Much better than the initial reports of having to phone someone up when you'd run out of licenses, no matter what. I'm glad I'll have the option to regain my licence by uninstalling if I have computer problems. :thup:

We aim to please.

how much space will the full game need? same question for the demo aswell.

2GB minimum for the main game. Demo sizes aren't finalised yet.

Miles? This is a serious question for once. :D

It's been answered by others, Josh. It will be very easy for us to know.

if i format the harddrive, which would obviously remove the game (but not via the uninstall option) will this give me back one of my 5 installs?

because you mention in the instance of re-installing windows that you would have to uninstall teh game from your machine first before you get the lisence back.

No - you have to uninstall first, as you have to do with ITunes.

Is there any way to turn auto updates off? I usually like to wait a few days before installing any patch, FM, Madden, anything. Just in case there is some huge bug that stops the playing of the game.

Yes - just don't be online.

Awesome thanks!!

So if you go out and Buy the DVD can you register your product online still, or do you have to phone as you havent done a digital download?

Also are the 5 licenses stored on steam and it counts down as you use them?

You can register your product online in one of 2 ways, or via telephone. Yes, the licenses count down.

Hold on a sec. I don't mind playing with the disc all thee. time, but i still have to authenticate, right?

Is this free and what does it involve?

It is free online for sure - I do not have the full list of the free phone numbers for telephone autentication or which countries they are in, but that takes a lot longer than online, hence we are recommending online.

You do have to authenticate.

just another question

if I authenticate the game online do I have to be online every time I open the game or just only the first time??

Just the first time.

Two questions:

1. Can we bypass the authentication process if the CD is present in the drive - like on FM08?

2. If we buy a retail unit of the game, can we still use steam to authenticate/update?

Cheers!

1. No.

2. Yes.

Like i told you earlier, your card is part of the Nvidia 6 Series which uses a newer technology than the 5900 (which is Nvidia 5 series). Also like you said it might outperform the 6200 in some aspects due to some reasons BUT the card is newer than the minimum required so it should run it fine.

Cheers mate, I love this community. Im off to play COD5 beta now lads, bye

"PC System Requirements

OS - Windows Vista or XP

If that is there minnimum specs then you will need to upgrade.You can get a top notch card for about 70quid (which my GF will be installing later) or you can get cheaper versions that will run FM.Bear in mind if you do upgreade your graphics card you might have to upgrade your power point, depending on what you already have.

I have a 512 MB video card and 2MB of RAM but...my processor is a dual core 1.66Ghz.

Obviously the video card and RAM are ok but my question is this; although the processor is below Miles' minimum spec does the fact that it's a dual core make up for this shortcoming? I'm on Vista BTW

Thanks for any help

It's been answered by others, Josh. It will be very easy for us to know.

And? What will happen? Will we have the game blocked? Or will there be blue and white lights around within seconds? Or are we going to get a complimentary toblerone in the post? Helpful answers are helpful.

Yes - just don't be online.

So basically with steam I'd have to check if there has been a patch before each play and then if there has been I have to dc from the internet meaning anyone trying to contact me by email/im won't be able to?

• SI Staff
Sounds great!

Can I confirm with you guys officially that I can download the demo, upload it to our server, and link to it (also getting in contact with you as an official mirror?)

We are not looking for mirrors, nor giving anyone permission to host the demo apart from our official partners. If this changes, we will ask for mirrors on the forum

Can we authenticate the game through Steam even if we buy the disc version form the shops

If so how

Yes - by choosing the option to authenticate the game through Steam when installing.

What exactly is this second authentication method? (the online transaction)

If Steam requires me to be online everytime i want to play Ill have to choose other method so wanted to know about this "2nd method"..

It doesn't require you to be online everytime. It requires Steam to be running.

The second method involves typing in a code and pressing a button - but the game will not autoupdate using the second method.

So when you install on a laptop, and authenticate through the internet, is it authorised for that laptop or that internet connection? ie: if I connected it to a different wi-fi connection would it still work or would it need to be authorised for that too?

Also, I have this laptop http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1753885380.1225127112@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadefhmmdddfcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=816726&category_oid==

would this even be enough to run the game?

It will be authorised for the laptop. As for your computer, the thing to do is download the demo at the weekend and see for yourself, as per the original post. Unless we have your specific machine in our test room, we cannot say whether the game works or not...

I have a 512 MB video card and 2MB of RAM but...my processor is a dual core 1.66Ghz.

Obviously the video card and RAM are ok but my question is this; although the processor is below Miles' minimum spec does the fact that it's a dual core make up for this shortcoming?

Thanks for any help

I think it does, yes

• SI Staff
I'm sure this can be right and must have misunderstood, at least I hope I have.

Do I need to be connected to the internet every time I want to play if I use Steam to prove I have a legit copy? If so how am I meant to play FM on the train for example?

No, you do not have to be connected. Steam has an offline mode.

Right a question and an observation.

Firstly why are we the paying consumers being asked to jump through extra hoops (i know i know, its a 30second process etc) when the pirates who this is aiming to stop will hack around this and not have to authenticate at all, especially in light of a lot of people (particularly recently) bemoaning the restrictions and added hoops that 'drm' puts on the paying consumer.

secondly, does that mean as a mac user i will have to have the cd in at game startup?

It will be authorised for the laptop. As for your computer, the thing to do is download the demo at the weekend and see for yourself, as per the original post. Unless we have your specific machine in our test room, we cannot say whether the game works or not...

Thanks for the quick reply, that must be on copy and paste!

the 2d definitely will, the 3d might do (all via wine of course, would love a native linux version however)

FM 2008 works pretty good on Linux - only the facegen doesn't work.

I don't know how it'll go with the steam copy protection stuff. And, of course, the 3D is a must in the new version.

Would be cool if someone from the test team put up a test case to see what we might expect!

Archived