Starting as a Youth/Reserve Manager

IOA

First of all I hope this hasn't been mentioned before...if it has feel free to delete the thread.

I personally think that the next new big addition to the game should be the ability to start as a youth/reserve team manager, which would be a major addition to one of the only few options you have at the start of the game which is to start as a club of your choice/start unemployed or become an international manager.

Realistically, few players or individuals are lucky enough to manage clubs like Real Madrid as their first manager role such as Zidane. Whereas many managers start their careers as coaches and then eventually managers of youth or reserve teams, sometimes lucky enough to manage those respective clubs but most of the time starting very low at the bottom of the football pyramid, unless you’re Zidane or Guardiola managing the Castilla/B teams of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

The obvious limitations would be;

•     No influence over transfers
  •     Minimal to no influence over training
  •     Possibly forced to play main teams tactics

So in case the above did not make any sense (which I'm sure it didn't).

I would love to start a new game unemployed, with the lowest level coaching badges, Sunday League experience and would love to be offered a job at a Vanarama South team to manage their academy and possibly work my way up to be the main manager while possibly working for nothing! In addition, with a bit of experience (managing and more badges) and success even get offered a manager position at another club (lower or same division) or even to manage a nation (San Marino level)/England U17 etc. etc.

I understand it’s not for all, for example managing Barnet U17s with no transfers, not having an influence over training and possibly even being told by the manager to play a certain tactic or player. However, I do think this is realistic.

Note: I would appreciate views whether they are positive or negative and possibly how to implement it or make it better, etc.

i dont know about the family stuff but would be fun to have some sort of back story. maybe a youth / first team coach  or maybe even an ass man that got fired by a new manager or something along those lines ( maybe even a Ryan Giggs situation)

• 1 month later...

Better if we can choose to control both first and second team.second team coach should be our assistant manager.also if can add a coach for second team can be a great.i also suggest our second team will be able to play at higher level league and same league with first team.tq

• 5 weeks later...

I would love this Idea, in the job center screen you can already see that these clubs are asking for people to apply for the job why not let us as the player to sign up for that job. I would really enjoy the challenge. It would allow American (basically most foreign managers) players such as myself to apply for jobs in England without needing to give myself any experience or coaching badges and without spending the few points given on adaptability allowing us to have better mental aspects from the start of the game. 

"Reserve team management would be incredibly dull. So we won't be adding that, or youth team management." 

"No transfers? No media? Limited training? Limited tactics as set by first team? Not fun as little to do."

Miles on Twitter, September 12th 2016

Seems like an oversight by Miles on that one.

To be flippant it sounds like he's just described managing a B team on FM Touch. To be a little more serious it is something that a lot of people would enjoy and I think the "limited tactics" would incorrect too. Surely that would be one of the areas of negotiation when joining. How much authority do I have? If I'm U18s coach, can I scout and recommend youth prospects but know the final decision is that of the manager or DoF.

You'd be able to earn your stripes and show you are adept with a certain style before being #1 elsewhere. Winning the FA Youth Cup for example would set you apart from other budding managers.

Not falling in line with the boss on tactics could land you in hot water, damaging your relationship and molding your personality and how you are perceived in the game. Are you a yes man, or are you perhaps more maverick but harder to work with? Future chairmen will view this in a way that fits their own characteristics.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Miles about this about 3/4 years ago. He told me that if people don't like his (or his teams) decisions then they should "go make their own game".

This has become a running joke among my FM friends.

Coming to a store near you.  Ultimate Football.

You can be the chairman.  You can be the manager.  You can even be the tea lady if you do so desire.  A fully customizable game from top to bottom.  Football in a sandbox.  

Miles should be careful what he wishes for if he did indeed say that (I'm not just taking your word for it, Schmidy) but if history has taught us anything it's that the worst thing a businessman can do is not listen to his customers as eventually they will find it/make it.  

2 hours ago, mrtrwsmiff said:

Miles should be careful what he wishes for if he did indeed say that (I'm not just taking your word for it, Schmidy) but if history has taught us anything it's that the worst thing a businessman can do is not listen to his customers as eventually they will find it/make it.  

Understandable, it seems a little over the top. If I could be bothered to go through all my tweets I would look for it. BUT, going through that many tweets is just not worth the time.

Despite the limited

On 11/2/2016 at 11:47, Ceyvol said:

"Reserve team management would be incredibly dull. So we won't be adding that, or youth team management." 

"No transfers? No media? Limited training? Limited tactics as set by first team? Not fun as little to do."

Miles on Twitter, September 12th 2016

Despite all this, I still think it's a good idea.

I've thought about this since 16, and I love this idea. I would love to start as a youth manager or a reserves manager with no rep and try to work my way up. It adds another layer of difficulty to the start of a career. Can you do well enough with restrictions in order for a club to give you a chance. I'm not sure why Miles thinks he knows what us players would or wouldn't find fun. Just because he doesn't think its fun is no reason to just dismiss it. Clearly there are a number of fans asking for it.

11 minutes ago, oulzac said:

I've thought about this since 16, and I love this idea. I would love to start as a youth manager or a reserves manager with no rep and try to work my way up. It adds another layer of difficulty to the start of a career. Can you do well enough with restrictions in order for a club to give you a chance. I'm not sure why Miles thinks he knows what us players would or wouldn't find fun. Just because he doesn't think its fun is no reason to just dismiss it. Clearly there are a number of fans asking for it.

Yeah I'm sure if enough people asked for it, then it would probably be added.

• 1 month later...

Archived