The All New FMCU Quiz! (And Scandinavian Music Thread)

deltablue

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of Round 2 and here are the answers...

1. What Ocean is Christmas Island in? (Indian)

2. In the original Home Alone film, what is the name of the black and white film that Kevin watches that contains the line "Keep the change ya filthy animal"? (Angels with filthy souls)

3. In which country was the formation 4-3-2-1 (commonly known as the Christmas Tree) believed to have originated from? (The Netherlands)

4. Which band released the single 'All Together Now', which was inspired by the World War I Christmas truce match? (The farm)

5. What is the chemical formula of snow? (H20)

6. In the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas', how many pipers are piping? (11)

7. In what town was Jesus born? (Bethlehem)

8. On December 3rd 1992, the first ever text message was sent. What did it say? (Merry Christmas)

9. Father Christmas is known as Pai Natal in which country? (Portugal or a Portuguese speaking country)

10. Since the Premier League started, there are only 3 teams not be relegated at the end of the season after sitting bottom of the league at Christmas? Who are they? (West Brom, Sunderland, Leicester City)...this got so many close answers where 2 teams were correct but the 3rd was wrong so I couldn't give a point...a stinker I know :D

Some good scores again this week with the top score being 7 (sorry Makka, your answer of Happy Christmas to question 8 was so close but unfortunately I can't give you the point). Again, no real 'funny' answer so I'll give the bonus point to Deisler for his answer to question 5 which was...What is the chemical formula of snow? I don't know, but use (Mg,Fe)7Si8O22(OH)2, or to use it's layman's name 'Cummingtonite'...just because I haven't got a clue what he was talking about! :D.

So the final scores...

DB08 - 4

Makka - 5

Swooperproop - 7

dllu - 6

Deisler - 6

dafuge - 7

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 5

noikee - 4

Maw74 - 6

Nobby_McDonald - 4

deltablue - 4

Wavelberry - 7

EvilDave - 5

Pompeyboyz - 7

+1 bonus point for Deisler.

Cheers Raware. I didn't do quite as badly as I feared. Anyway here is the leaderboard (I might try an recreate a more detailed table at some point)...

Swooperproop: 13

Wavelberry: 13

Deisler: 12

Maaka: 12

Dafuge: 12

Maw74: 11

EvilDave: 11

LeedsUnitedFan: 10

Nobby: 8

Pompeyboyz -8

Noikeee: 7

Dllu: 6

DB08: 5

Rithas: 5

Deltablue: 4

Raware: 3

Unsurprisingly we're both bottom having done a round each and not scored that highly on each other's rounds :D

My apologies :D I'll give you that! :)

Apology accepted.....can I get a bonus point for asking the bloke that helped design the text message technology what the answer was to 8 ;)

There is a chemical that has the name 'Cummingtonite'

It's chemical makeup is (Mg,Fe)7Si8O22(OH)2

Obvious :brock:

It's actually (Mg,Fe2+)2(Mg,Fe2+)5Si8O22(OH)2

get your chemical compounds right :cool:

Sorry guys, got hold up all of yesterday, so my round comes here:

Round 3:

1. Who was the first American player to win the FA Cup?

2. Which artist sings the first line on the 1985 hit song "We Are The World"?

3. Which car brand has a name that translates (roughly) to "three diamonds"?

4. The 1947 cartoon story "Christmas on Bear Mountain" marks the first appearance of which cartoon character?

5. In the 1981/82 NHL regular season, how many goals did Wayne Gretzky score?

6. Who won the Academy Award for Best Picture? A: "The Godfather", B: "The Godfather Part II", or C: both movies?

7. Name one of the two teams who have won a record 7 titles in the 2nd tier of English league football (what's today known as the Football League Championship, previously First Divison (1992-2004) and Second Division (-1992).

8. Which player has the goal scoring record in a single FIFA World Cup (men)?

9. Who has the most number one singles on the UK Singles Chart?

10. In the movie "Cast Away", for how long is Chuck Nolan (Tom Hanks) stranded on the pacific island?

Good luck, and as usual, PM the answers to the author.

Anything more than 0 will be a bonus with that set of questions.

In all honesty, there were two questions I thought of, where I had to check what the answers were, the other eight came off the top of my head (mind you, I have an affection for quizzing and alike, but even so, the music and movie q's here are fairly "common knowledge", but since I've pushed well past 30 (or even 35..) so that may have something to do with it.. Guess it comes down to interests and pastimes..).

And, not to divulge too much, I'll let you know that you did in fact score more than 0 ;)

Mine are in...and ifI don't win a bonus point for the best answer...then I shall be most upset :cool:

We'll see what others come up with, and tbh, I'm no fan of the guy you refer to, so... Gonna have to wait and see :D

In all honesty, there were two questions I thought of, where I had to check what the answers were, the other eight came off the top of my head (mind you, I have an affection for quizzing and alike, but even so, the music and movie q's here are fairly "common knowledge", but since I've pushed well past 30 (or even 35..) so that may have something to do with it.. Guess it comes down to interests and pastimes..).

And, not to divulge too much, I'll let you know that you did in fact score more than 0 ;)

Question 8 was the only one I did not guess. I actually remembered it when typing the answer. I think I know which 2 I got right.

Anyway, for getting more than 0....

harry-potter.jpg

the music and movie q's here are fairly "common knowledge", but since I've pushed well past 30 (or even 35..) so that may have something to do with it..

I actually thought the music questions (and one of the movie questions) were the easiest as well, but then I'm in the same age group as you... ;)

Not complaining, but... I think I should have 13 points, not 14, as 6+7. Again, not complaining, feel free to keep it as 14 :D

Fixed. Just sent in my answers, one of these days there'll be a round where I can feel confident about getting more than about 3 :D

For those who haven't sent their answers yet, but wish to participate, I'll have the answers and results posted tomorrow morning, around 9:00 (CET), so participants must ensure their answers have arrived in my inbox by that time..

So far, I've got 14 answers (cplpeters1900, Pompeyboyz, LeedsUnitedFan2, DB08, dllu, swooperpoop, Nobby_McDonald, Deisler26, Raware, deltablue, EvilDave, noikee, Maw74 and dafuge - listed in order of when answers were sent, so no indication of results:p), if your name is missing from this list, but you think it shouldn't, please feel free to send your answers once more.

Well since Key Basher doesn't appear to be taking part I'm giving you his round, Round 9.

Errrr, that's a bit of a problem. My exams start around that time and although I will be able to write the questions, I won't be able to go through every set of answers because of that. I'll probably be free from around 25th of February. You can put the round on hold.

Quiz round 3 - answers

1. Who was the first American player to win the FA Cup?

Julian Sturgis (1873, with Wanderers)

Only 3 got this right (21%), with Tim Howard being the most popular answer (he was the 2nd American to win it)

2. Which artist sings the first line on the 1985 hit song "We Are The World"?

Lionel Richie

4 right answers here, 29%

3. Which car brand has a name that translates (roughly) to "three diamonds"?

Mitsubishi

Fairly easy, if you remember the Mitsubishi logo, and 10 of you got it right (71%)

4. The 1947 cartoon story "Christmas on Bear Mountain" marks the first appearance of which cartoon character?

Scrooge McDuck

This one turned out to be harder than I thought, only 4 right answers, I guess it's more common knowledge if you're born before the mid- to late 80's.

5. In the 1981/82 NHL regular season, how many goals did Wayne Gretzky score?

92 which is the all time record for goals scored in a single NHL season by one player

Just 2 right answers (14%), if you're not into hockey, you're not gonna get this (without google/wikipedia), so I guess that's a fair score.

6. Who won the Academy Award for Best Picture? A: "The Godfather", B: "The Godfather Part II", or C: both movies?

C: both movies - "The Godfather" won in 1972, "The Godfather Part II" won in 1974.

Again, easier for the older ones, or movie fans. 5 (36%) right answers.

7. Name one of the two teams who have won a record 7 titles in the 2nd tier of English league football (what's today known as the Football League Championship, previously First Divison (1992-2004) and Second Division (-1992).

Leicester City or Manchester City

7 right answers (50%), the score would probably be lower if both team were required, but still. Interestingly, 6 of the 7 right answers were for Leicester, with just one guessing Man City. Sunderland were more popular with 3 guesses.

8. Which player has the goal scoring record in a single FIFA World Cup (men)?

Just Fontaine (France, 13 goals in Sweden back in 1958)

This being a footie site, this was the one question I thought would get a perfect score, but "only" 12 out of 14 answered right (86%). No, Thomas Müller hasn't scored that many in a single campaign. Ronaldo (the real one) were a better guess, but still far off.

9. Who has the most number one singles on the UK Singles Chart?

Elvis Presley (21)

This is probably a bit disappointing to brits, but unfortunately it's not The Beatles. The Liverpool quartet comes 2nd, but 17 number one's is a bit off ol' Elvis' numbers.. 7 right answers is kinda OK, but the wrong one's weren't too far off. The Beatles (2 guesses) were an obvious choice, Michael Jackson (not in the top 5) were guessed twice, Madonna (13 hits), Cliff Richard (14 hits) and Westlife (14) were guessed once. Meaning those who tried MJ were the furthest from scoring points..

10. In the movie "Cast Away", for how long is Chuck Nolan (Tom Hanks) stranded on the pacific island?

4 years

Only two of you saw the movie, I guess (or at least paid attention).

That accounts for a maximum possible score of 10, however, nobody managed more than 8, and the average score was 4..

There were a few attempts at "funny answers", "Pablo Picasso" for "We are the World" (after all, he really was an artist), other than that the "Cast Away" question generated 3 attempts, one of which included a Chuck Norris reference.

-"Not long enough, but Chuck Norris would have rowed the island back to America"

-"Not long enough"

-"He's never heard of Kim Kardashian"

althoug I'm not a big fan of Chuck Norris (or the jokes), in this case it's kinda fitting (given Tom Hanks' character's named Chuck Nolan), so congrats to Pompeyboyz for getting the extra point.

The scoreboard:

swooperproop 8

Pompeyboyz 8 (7+1)

dllu 6

Deisler26 6

EvilDave 6

Nobby_McDonald 5

Raware 5

cplpeters1900 3

LeedsUnitedFan2 2

deltablue 2

Maw74 2

dafuge 2

DB08 1

noikeee 1

Which gives the following scoreboard overall:

Swooperproop: 21

Deisler: 18

EvilDave: 17

Pompeyboyz: 16

Dafuge: 14

Wavelberry: 13

Maw74: 13

Nobby: 13

Maaka: 12

LeedsUnitedFan: 12

Dllu: 12

Raware: 8

Noikeee: 7

DB08: 6

Deltablue: 6

Rithas: 5

cplpeters1900: 3

What do you mean 'only' 3 people got the first question right? I'm amazed that many people knew :D

Point taken. Still, out of 14, 3 kinda is "only".. But I had no idea myself, I just happened to read about Tim Howard on wikipedia, and it mentioned he (Howard) were the 2nd American to win, referring to Sturgis as the first. Now I know though :D

Turned out it wasn't the hardest question though..

Round 4

1. Which 90's hockey player was known as 'The Russian Rocket'?

2. In which film would you suffer a 'drive-by fruiting'?

3. Who performed the soundtrack to 'Tron: Legacy'?

4. Which city has the highest population?

5. How many men have walked on the moon?

6. What soup has a calf's head as it's main ingredient?

7. In what US state did armed militiamen/terrorists recently take over a government building?

8. What comic book series featured the first ever appearance of the symbiote Venom?

9. Which city is served by Pierre Trudeau International Airport?

10. In my FM16 thread, who broke the RKC record for most league goals scored?

Enjoy guys!

Errrr, that's a bit of a problem. My exams start around that time and although I will be able to write the questions, I won't be able to go through every set of answers because of that. I'll probably be free from around 25th of February. You can put the round on hold.

Well how about doing it a lot sooner. It's now time for Deisler's round but you can do it after him?

Archived