New player roles in FM 16?

Maybe I haven't been looking in the right place! I'll have a look later.

If I remember rightly, when you click on the player to give them indivdual instructions, you get a drop down for players and can select different squad players and adjust their role.

I did it on FM14 so when Podolski was my AML he'd be an IF, and when it was Ozil he was something else - I forget exactly what

There's 5 fullback roles, limited, inverted, complete, wingback and fullback.

I actually agree that there is too many roles especially when majority of them do a very similar thing and could have been achieved by adding PI's. I mean, the fullback roles are overkill for starters. Then we move on to roles such as AP, Treq and Enganche which are all basically the same role more or less. There should only be one of those roles and how you used the PI's should have made them different, there's no real need for a new role for them unless the actual coded behaviour is different and can't be achieved via instructions like the half-back.

I'm all for more roles but only if they are coded to have specific behaviour like the half back.

If roles are consolidated, then there might need to be more PIs - for defenders, I'd like to see "Clears Ball Long", which seems like it could replace both the LFB and LD roles. I'd also like to see a Playmaker PI, which simply ticks whether the team should treat a player in that position as a playmaker. That could replace the BPD role, and possibly help clear up some of the logjam of attacking roles; an AP(s) is an AM(s) with Roam from Position and Playmaker selected; a Trequartista is an AM(a) with Dribbles More, Roam from Position and Playmaker selected; an Enganche is an AM(s) with Holds Position and Playmaker.

The danger is, of course, that going down this road means we're going to look at wide midfield and realize that IF is just a WM(a) with PIs, Wingers are just WM(a) or (s) with PIs, Defensive Wingers are just WM(s) or (d) with PIs and Wide Playmakers are just WM(s) or (a) with PIs, and we're back to the Football Manager 2012 sliders and checkboxes and dropdowns. And I'm all for that, but it seems like the drive is generally for filling all the options with defined roles rather than making existing roles more customizable. And there's something to that, provided the roles are correctly documented.

If I remember rightly, when you click on the player to give them indivdual instructions, you get a drop down for players and can select different squad players and adjust their role.

I did it on FM14 so when Podolski was my AML he'd be an IF, and when it was Ozil he was something else - I forget exactly what

So you can!! Can't believe I've never seen that before, cheers matey!

Playing the long ball isn't an uncommon tactic. It's just that it isn't glorified in these boards like other tactics...

Milinkovic-Savic is used at Lazio in the same way, too. you can kind of get this role by setting him as an Enganche while playing more directly, but it's not exactly the same thing.

Milinkovic-Savic is used at Lazio in the same way, too. you can kind of get this role by setting him as an Enganche while playing more directly, but it's not exactly the same thing.

Not really the same, tho. An Enganche is a lazy role compared to what Fellani plays in real life. He can be a physical menace defensively AND offensively

Part of the reason why i suck at the latest iterations of FM is player roles.

I haven't heard of half of them and have no idea what they actually mean.

I'm not getting any wiser reading the description as they can be so similar to each other.

When comparing the similar ones i don't necessarily see it translated onto the pitch during the games either.

So, when it comes to player roles i'm absolutely clueless.

When reading up on real life players who was typical this and that it doesn't really tell me anything.

As i don't watch those teams or players in particular.

Hell, even if it was for a player with a team i do follow i still wouldn't really know what player role (in FM) they would have.

There's a lot of redundancy, and it's a lot easier to differentiate between many of them when you're viewing them as player instructions rather than vague titles (screens from this year suggest visualisation of this will be better).

I do feel they've announced new player roles solely for the headline in some cases. Like when they revealed on twitter that they had "added x new formations for us to use!!!" when we can already drag players around the pitch at will.

For a while now I've been trying to emulate the way certain CBs travel quite far out into the midfield with the ball, I suppose like a Libero but in a CB pairing. As this hasn't been possible with recent versions of FM, i'm just wondering whether this will be possible in fm 16?

Damn. Oh well, if the libero role works better thats a positive i guess. Hopefully the inverted wing-back now works as it was supposed to

Uhhhh yeah, about that. Unfortunately I see no change from 15. Which is a big shame because I was looking forward to testing.

Look, I haven't developed a game, but surely they can see if a role works or not in development? If it is proving too difficult to code, which is fair, simply remove it with an explanation? Pretty sure everyone would understand.

• 8 months later...

Way too many at the moment, truth be told. I reckon we should be ironing out the kinks in the existing ones. So many of these roles are so close to each other that the distinction is marginal at best. We are quickly entering the realm where we are going to be trying to discern the difference between two roles...one with Mentality of 5 and another with 6 and then trying to write a huge essay about the difference. The more roles we make, the more ridiculous this is going to get imho.

I think roles that edit on-ball instructions (such as RWB and TTB) can actually mean less AI player individuality by shoehorning too many responsibilities. When combined with PPMs, these roles can make players attempt to do too much when in possession.

Personally, I would keep the roles that focus mainly on off-ball movement and then allow PPMs to dictate the rest so that AI managers aren't over-burdening their players with instructions. These are the roles I would keep:

ST

Deep-lying forward

Advanced forward

Target Man

AMC

Attacking Midfielder

Central Winger

AMR/AML

Wide Forward

Wide Target Man

MR/ML

Wide Midfielder

Winger

Inside Midfielder

CM

Central Midfielder

Box-to-Box Midfielder

Ball Winning Midfielder

Central Winger

DM

Defensive Midfielder

Half Back

FB/WB

Full Back

Wing Back

Inverted Wing Back

CB

Central Defender

GK

Goalkeeper

Sweeper Keeper

All player instructions should be enabled therefore giving the freedom to create your own character.

How well a player can play each instruction should be stated on the instruction button.

A custom role should be enabled to allow us to decide the mentality and PI will be okay. All above mentioned problems will be solved. Someone has mentioned before. But you know.... they must reject.....

This is the sort of thing that will render set roles pointless, really.

The main reason we won't see it, however, is that it gives the AI a huge disadvantage. 1 - they wouldn't be able to properly use it or use it at all and 2 - we can fiddle and create all sorts of weird things, which opens up exploits etc.

This is the sort of thing that will render set roles pointless, really.

The main reason we won't see it, however, is that it gives the AI a huge disadvantage. 1 - they wouldn't be able to properly use it or use it at all and 2 - we can fiddle and create all sorts of weird things, which opens up exploits etc.

Humans 1 - 0 Nanobots

Though there are adaptive nanobots...

I'd like one role in each position that's completely open to tweaking with every PI unlocked, like the CM(s), WM(s) or AM(s).

And to be fair, SI have said that such a role is needed/missing at AML/AMR.

The same AI that can see a player's hidden attributes, as well as their CA and PA?

They rely on scouts, just like we do, so they can see uncovered hidden attributes (whether they 'know' they're bad or good, I don't know) and they also then rely on PCA and PPA.

And to be fair, SI have said that such a role is needed/missing at AML/AMR.

Yup, there especially, and striker too, in my opinion.

I had another look since posting, and to be fair, FB(s) and DM(s) only have one locked PI each, so are very customisable.

Archived