The Ultimate Football Manager

Attribute masking is turned off if you play FM Classic (and probably touch and mobile as well) and I don't think it's possible to turn it on. So making it madatory would make this challenge full version only and disqualify myself as well as Normandy (I think you play in FMC as well? Correct me if I'm wrong).

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inter Milan Season Review 2024/2025

FC_Inter_Milan-1-200-200-100-crop.gif

League Table - 4th

It feels good to finally arrive in Europe! Tried to take over a few mega jobs during the close season across Europe, Bayern and PSG both deciding to go with other candidates and I ended up at at Inter Milan, they were struggling in 15th position after 8 games and I could see why. They had quite the aged squad including Samir Handanovic the only senior goalkeeper still the number one at 40 years of age. The previous manager had also seemingly spent a boatload on really awful players, definately a rebuild was needed. Up until January the season was very hit and miss, drawing many games we should of put to bed and being humiliated in the Champions League, we ended up bottom of our group winning just the once and losing the rest.

The team was desperate for some new blood and when the transfer window opened I swooped for two players that really turned the season around, Yassin Aarab between the sticks as my new number one and Radovan Simunovic my Serbian goal machine, after the transfer window my team really started to click, we pushed at the top of the table for a while but we were too late to have any real impact on the top spot, happy to resuce the season and get a CL spot for next season.

It's been a while but we also won a domestic trophy, we took down the Italian Cup, beating Palermo on penalties with 10 men Italian Cup Final

Was appointed as Ghana manager, towards the end of the season, International management really isn't my thing, but I'm going to stick with them for a while and see how it goes.

2014/15   Jomo Cosmos         1st                South African National First Division
2015/16   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2016/17   Ajax CT             5th                South African Premier Soccer League
2017/18   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2018/19   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2019/20   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League                     African Champions League Winners
2020/21   Beijing             1st                Chinese Super League
2021/22   Beijing             1st                Chinese Super League                                    Asian Champions League Winners
2022/23   Atlético Mineiro    2nd                Brazilian National First Division                       Copa Libertadores Winners
2023/24   Cruz Azul           6th                Mexican First Division Closing                          NACL Winners
2024/25   Inter Milan         4th                Serie A                                                 Italian Cup Winners

Challenge Progress

Club
2/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, China)
3/10 domestic cups (South Africa, China, Italy)
4/5 club continental championships (Africa, Asia, North America South America)
0/1 club world championship

International
0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/2 world tournaments ()

This would be a bit unfair to those playing in full mode in my opinion. I would leave it like it is for everyone to decide on their own. Or, if you think it's important, make it mandatory and say it's a full mode only challenge (at least from now on ;))

Then better leave it IMO as I would like to see as many take part as possible. I havent decided on which version to use in future myself.

This would be a bit unfair to those playing in full mode in my opinion. I would leave it like it is for everyone to decide on their own. Or, if you think it's important, make it mandatory and say it's a full mode only challenge (at least from now on ;))

I don't think anyone who will be playing full mode would look at it as unfair, especially since you are locked into one mode of play if you play a mobile or less than full fat game... it is just the way things are.

I *do* believe that everyone who plays full should be playing with attribute masking on, but I don't think it'll be an issue to make it "mandatory" for full version players because I don't think anyone who plays full is looking to game the system, anyway.

If anything, any advantage you do gain would be counteracted, in my view, by my ability to manipulate situations using the media, which anyone not playing a full version won't be able to do... (unsettling players, unsettling managers and affecting their job security, etc.)

That is just my take -- it doesn't bother me that those not playing a full version have to play with the option set one way because that's the way the game is set to play. But it would bother me if we had the chance to take the option out for full players and we didn't. That would be a major advantage for a full player with it off over another full player with it on, in my humble opinion.

"Attribute masking on if possible" would be my vote, without question.

EDIT: I agree with TheEarl, I also want to see as many take part as possible, which is the reason for my "vote" coming in as it does.

Im going to delve into my game again over the next few days, never got round to it last week.

Oh, i dont have attribute masking on as it was clear in the first page that you were allowed to disable it.

Two of the rules i dont agree with are the 'you must be 20' and 'you cannot adjust your attributes'. Id rather be my own actual age for realism. Shame i cant add my real life coaching badges :p

Im going to delve into my game again over the next few days, never got round to it last week.

Oh, i dont have attribute masking on as it was clear in the first page that you were allowed to disable it.

Two of the rules i dont agree with are the 'you must be 20' and 'you cannot adjust your attributes'. Id rather be my own actual age for realism. Shame i cant add my real life coaching badges :p

While I like the idea of my own real age, there is no way I'd be able to complete the challenge and have it be judged that I'd even still be alive, much less still a top-level manager.

I agree on the initial attributes, just because there is so few of them with no badges at 20 and no playing experience, but I'm fine with it as it is as well. It makes everyone start from a level position; the only reason I agree with changing the initial attributes is because you still have the same amount of points as anyone else, so its technically level.

While it's mostly for fun, undoubtedly people are challenging themselves against the rest of the community -- so having everyone start with the same base is pretty much a mandatory requirement in my opinion. Its the only reason there is such a realistic base for comparison against each others saves is because those rules are in place.

So while I 100% absolutely respect your opinion, I must firmly disagree on any possible change of the starting age... but if it came to it, I would vote for being able to adjust your initial attributes, I just don't know how many others would support that as a possible change...

The Earls Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

4th july 2043 – Lima, Peru (A short story)

Chris Earl II walkes on to the pitch at Monumental Universidad San Marcos in Lima, Peru. Its 3 hours to kick off and the manager takes his time to remember his glorious career so far. Will it be another success tonight?

It all started 29 years ago in a small office inside the stadium in Bristol. Earl II was a totally unknown manager when he 21 years old took charge at Bristol Rovers. Already in his first season he took Rovers from 18th and up to promotion. (League fixtures part 1, part 2). He also did well in the Johnstone Paint Trophy (cup view).

In his second season, the first full one he did even better. Winning League Two at the first take was quite some achievement. Once again he overacieved in cup tournaments aswell.

After almost 2 seasons at Rovers, the fans where sad to see their manager leave. An offer from Brighton Hove & Albion where too good to turn down. It would soon become obvious to the football world, that this manager stopped at nothing to enhance his career. Earl II won promotion from Championship to Premier League at the very first try.

During his time at Brighton, Earl II managed an international team at the same time for the first time in his career. He took charge of Ivory Coast in 2017, and won the African Cup of Nations in 2019.

Second season at Brighton saw the manager first attempt at top flight football. He soon found out that Brighton didnt have the best resources to succeed in England. So the possibility came for him to move to German side Wolfsburg. He jumped on the plain to get to Volkswagen Arena. Moved the team from 6th to 5th in the first try, but the club failed FFP to be excluded from Europa League in the next season.

Second season at Wolfsburg ended with a second place behind superior Schalke 04. A big dissapointment for Earl II and he moved club once again, now to the football loving country of Brazil where he took charge at Internacional.

In his first attempt it ended with a first league trophy for Earl II as Internacional won Brazilian National First Division.

Then the manager got restless and wanted to move back to Europe. Roma in Italy had underperformed in the first part of the season, but they where still in Champions League. Earl II enjoyed maybe his best part of the career at Roma, winning Champions League twice, the Italian Serie A, Italian Cup and Club World Championships. He enjoyed players like Andrea Florenzi, Miralem Pjanic, Lionel Messi and Memphis Depay.

While at Roma, Earl II also took charge of France. And in the summer of 2022 he could call him self World Cup winner for the first time. Earl II then left to take of Brazil, where he managed for the first and only time in his career to get sacked in the summer of 2023 after loosing to Mexico U23 in the quarter final of Copa America.

In the meantime he had won both the Premier League with Man.City together with English FA Cup and English League Cup. And he had also won Ligue 1 with Paris SG and the French League Cup. But he never won the French FA Cup.

Earl II then moved to Corinthians where he won the Brazlian National First Division again, the Brazilian Cup and the Copa Libertadores.

The manager then moved to Mexico and America (MEX) where he won both the Apertura and Clausura part of the Liga MX and he also won the North American Champions League.

Paraguay National team was the next stop and Earl II won the World Cup for the second time in 2026, but then left Paraguay to take over France yet again. He resigned as manager at France after not being able to win Euro Nations.

In between he had won Eresdivisie and the Dutch Cup together with Europa League with Ajax, Bundesliga and another Europa League with Dortmund and La Liga, Copa Del Rey with Real Madrid.

Earl II then moved to South Africa and Kaizer Chiefs. 2,5 successful seasons at the Chiefs saw the manager win all domestic cups and leagues on 2 occasions and the African Champions League once, before leaving to join Suwon of South Korea.

After an unsuccessful spell at Spain, Earl II lifted Euro Nations with Italy in 2032, together with European Nations League, and a Confederations Cup in 2033.

At Suwon he won the Korean K League Classic, and the Asian Champions League. He then moved to Sporting CP where he won Taca de Portugal, Portuguese League Cup and Primeira Liga.

With Mexico National Team he won the Gold Cup in 2035, and almost won the Copa America but lost in the final to Ecuador.

That was in 2035, the same year as he won the Greek Cup with Olympiakos, but not the League.

With Celtic he won 2 league titles, 2 FA cup titles, and 2 league cup titles together with another Europa League.

Then he went on to win Asian Championships with South Korea in 2039, before moving to Arsenal. With Arsenal he won the Premier League again and the League Cup, but then failed to win most other trophies spending a lot of time on holiday.

Finally in 2042 he was given the opportunity to make up for his mistake with Brazil nearly 20 years ago. Brazil was going to play Copa America in 2043.

The group stage saw Brazil play Mexico U23, Uruguay and Ecuador. Brazil won their group after 2 wins, and 1 draw.

Quarter Final was played against Chile with Brazil winning 4-0. Semi Final saw Brazil beat Ecuador 5-1. Now it was that one final game to go before the manager could quit and rest after a glorious career. The Final at Monumental against Argentina.

THE FINAL

Brazil takes the lead after just 7 mins, through Maurcio Bueno (Arsenal).

Argentina makes it 1-1 just 3 mins later through Nestor Serrano.

But then Junior (AC Milan) makes it 2-1 for Brazil after 39 mins.

3-1 M.Bueno again after 74 mins, and just a minute later 4-1 Vinicius (Juventus).

6 mins before the end, Junior settles the score 5-1 for Brazil.

Earl II walks off the pitch with a great smile, hail the manager, the greatest of all time. The Earl takes the throne and intends to stay there!!!

http://s27.postimg.org/sck9pon2r/copaamerica.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_1.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_2.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_3.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_4.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_5.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_6.png

http://s15.postimg.org/c2napkpu3/hof_7.png

To be continued….

TheEarl *Kneels* Jag hälsar dig, Jarl. Congratulations on the highest honor available within FM :)

vikeologist I don't really have an opinion on what happens with threads and all. As some might have noticed I had a setback in my motivation again, but I'm still a frequent reader and probably tempted to continue in the future. Thing is, I do have masking off. I actually turned it off to see what it's like, because I never did that before. I still wouldn't take a player without scouting him first. But if it's restricted from now on, that's ok with me. I might start a new save.

But to make a side note on what's been discussed: I've played Handheld, Classic and Full pretty extensively and the feel of the styles is so very different. I absolutely don't want to downplay any achievement here, but I would also say that Classic is a bit easier, and Handheld isn't even realistic anymore. Recently, I've had a Dutch First Div team win leagues and CL within 4 seasons, with most of the old squad plus some free regens that gained full England and Germany caps before their 20th birthday. Fresh 17-year olds score 62 goals because they have a 20 heading skill. That **** didn't happen since CM4. Now personally I think finishing it is an accomplishment on its own, but when the beforementioned competition aspect plays a role for some people I'd say that there would have to be separate halls of fame.

TheEarl - Congratulations. You are now our first entrée in the Hall of Fame. It's been empty for a while, so you may need to do some dusting and clear a few cobwebs.

I don't suppose you could chuck your progress and achievement table into that last post of yours.

I've always planned to provide some stats for people who've complete the challenge, such as nations played in etc. It would be nice of course to do stats for everybody who has ever started the challenge, but I'm sure you can appreciate that would be difficult. Maybe I should have kept stats for where people have achieved challenge landmarks. Would have been better if I'd started that before page 15. A lot of people do achieve something and then disappear.

Anyway, it seems a bit daft to do stats for one completion. I'd welcome suggestions for what stats of info people would like to see in the Hall of Fame. It does look a bit Spartan at the moment.

I think one nice thing may be for challengers to have a MIP (Most important Player) for their challenge, or maybe an all-star team. These things I'd envisage being just for those who complete the challenge. As people have pointed out though, players come and go in this challenge, so there won't be many legends.

As you may appreciate, I've ripped this (and many other things) off from the Big Euro Challenge, which I think was the gold standard for challenge threads, and which is probably about to disappear along with Lower Leagues Rule.

As regards the other issues that have been raised.

This challenge has always been a bit lighter on rules than others. Also I'd like to think that this could be a challenge for people to play on any version of the game. When someone said last night that there was no attribute masking on Classic, I admit my first thought was that it would make things a lot easier, but I guess that's just the way it is. As JDD points out, perhaps in some ways its harder as well. Anyway, the HOF states which version the challenger used, along with the year.

Oh, but even though I'm going to get rid of the backstory, (unless people say they want to keep it) I think the 20 year old thing has to stay. I'd imagine it has a big bearing on the first job you can get. I think we have to accept that on each platform its a fairly different challenge, but having a vaguely level playing field within each platform seems fair.

Sorry to jump in on these issues. I am trying to wait for everyone to have their say.

TheEarl - Congratulations. You are now our first entrée in the Hall of Fame. It's been empty for a while, so you may need to do some dusting and clear a few cobwebs.

I don't suppose you could chuck your progress and achievement table into that last post of yours.

I've always planned to provide some stats for people who've complete the challenge, such as nations played in etc. It would be nice of course to do stats for everybody who has ever started the challenge, but I'm sure you can appreciate that would be difficult. Maybe I should have kept stats for where people have achieved challenge landmarks. Would have been better if I'd started that before page 15. A lot of people do achieve something and then disappear.

Anyway, it seems a bit daft to do stats for one completion. I'd welcome suggestions for what stats of info people would like to see in the Hall of Fame. It does look a bit Spartan at the moment.

I think one nice thing may be for challengers to have a MIP (Most important Player) for their challenge, or maybe an all-star team. These things I'd envisage being just for those who complete the challenge. As people have pointed out though, players come and go in this challenge, so there won't be many legends.

As you may appreciate, I've ripped this (and many other things) off from the Big Euro Challenge, which I think was the gold standard for challenge threads, and which is probably about to disappear along with Lower Leagues Rule.

As regards the other issues that have been raised.

This challenge has always been a bit lighter on rules than others. Also I'd like to think that this could be a challenge for people to play on any version of the game. When someone said last night that there was no attribute masking on Classic, I admit my first thought was that it would make things a lot easier, but I guess that's just the way it is. As JDD points out, perhaps in some ways its harder as well. Anyway, the HOF states which version the challenger used, along with the year.

Oh, but even though I'm going to get rid of the backstory, (unless people say they want to keep it) I think the 20 year old thing has to stay. I'd imagine it has a big bearing on the first job you can get. I think we have to accept that on each platform its a fairly different challenge, but having a vaguely level playing field within each platform seems fair.

Sorry to jump in on these issues. I am trying to wait for everyone to have their say.

Thanks for the inclusion in Hall of Fame, I feel honoured.

Sadly I have not taken screenshots during gameplay, but I will make them post completion. Ask for anything you like and I will try to provide whatever you wish for. As for what I think of myself I will post the following probably tomorrow (wednesday)

- Most Important Player

- Best Eleven (in most used formation)

- Number of clubs managed

- Number of National teams managed

- What nations/leagues managed

- List of competitions won (already done that in 7 Hall of Fame screens)

- Hall of Fame points (already done)

- Final progress and achievement table (will look through to check correct number of manager of the month/season to be correctly updated.)

Any suggestions?

- Maybe "The Earls" hints and tips for newcomers?

Earl - What are you going to do now? Continue with your save? Re-start the challenge on FM16? Abandon us, even though we gave you all the love that we had in our hearts?

First now, I will enjoy a few "FM" free days, spend some time with my wife :p hehe

But I know time will come I want to play again. If I am still on FM15 I will try something different. When I start playing FM16 I will start this challenge straight away, I will see myself as the person who tries out this challenge on FM16, maybe searching for which bugs will affect this challnge and report them, so that this challenge might be playable on FM16 as soon as possible.

I am also thinking on FM16 with the possibility to start your own club, I will try that but with this challenge in mind, and see what kind of setup that can be realistic.

Sorry but I am not going to post more stats from my game today anyway. I decided to jump into another "project" and will shortly post more updates from that instead.

What did I decide to do? Well I am not going to play FM16 straight away, so I am doing The Earls ultimate Ultimate FM Challenge.

What is this you may ask?

Well here are the "rules that I set for myself.

- Start an entirely new career on FM15. Full version. Start out as 20 year old with 1 nationality, 1 language, no coaching badges, Sunday League experience. (My nationality is French in this game by the way, born in Paris).

- I can´t win the same competitions as in my previous game, with some exceptions, but at least never win them with the same team(s).

- I have to win top division in England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy. But to do this I will have to manage a team that in-game is in Tier 2 (or lower) and take them to the top-flight and win the league with that team. If I get sacked or move clubs, I will have to find a new team in Tier 2 and start over again. (Or move to another country for a while). Just as a note: In my previous game A.Madrid went down to Tier 2, so they would have qualified as long as I took charge while they are in Tier 2.

- Cup wins in those 5 countries doesn't count with the exception of French FA Cup and DFB Pokal in Germany, as I never won those on my old savegame. It will still have to be with a team that I bring up from Tier 2 though.

- South Africa: I have to manage a team there as its the only country manageable in Africa. But I will not count league or cup wins in S.Africa, just African Champions League, and it can't be with Kaizer Chiefs.

- I can never manage any team at all in: Brazil, Mexico, Scotland, Portugal, Holland, South Korea.

- I can manage a club in Greece, but I can't count cup win there, as I have already won the Greek Cup.

- As for national management, I can't win World Cup with either France or Paraguay. I can't win Copa America with Brazil, I can't win Asia Cup with South Korea, I can't win Euro Nations with Italy nor Confederations Cup, and I can't win African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast or Gold Cup with Mexico.

This should make one amazing challenge, that I am not sure if I can do, but it will test my skills to the limit. Especially it will be interesting to see how I can win UEFA Champions League as I can never manage any of the big clubs in Europe, unless they suffer a relegation to Tier 2 domestically first.

Earl - Gpod luck with your ultimate challenge. Obviously please do keep us informed how it goes. Are you not tempted to add a new African nation to be playable? My plan with FM16 is to try to do what you said, identify any challenge-killing bugs. I mean, it would really have to be something to do with champions leagues. That was the terrible bug we had this year, in case you don't know. The Copa libertadores stopped, and there was no way of fixing it without starting the challenge again from scratch. Players had to start again, and a couple of people had got quite far into the game. It seems very likely that a challenger called ArBee23 would have easily been the first to achieve the challenge, but he wasn't the only one affected.

SuperGord - You're probably the oldest active challenger (apart from me). Were you affected?

Of course I'm still not 100% certain I'll even be able to play the new game, even though I have purchased it.

WMSB? Sounds like I'll be adding you to the hall of fame soon.

I am trying to finish my latest Newcastle season before the new game comes out, but its going to be another season without a challenge eligible trophy, (although I am in the quarter finals of the Euro vase / UEFA Cup or whatever its called). There's an entire generation of posters on this forum who weren't even alive the last time I progressed in this challenge. Well, ok, an exaggeration, but not much.

Good luck with your challenge TheEarl. Might try something similar if I ever complete the challenge myself. Although it'll likely be on FM16 when I do.

Currently I've been appointed as Lazio manager alongside the Ghana post, but I've hit a bit of a motivation wall with the pre-release of FM16 being due on Friday (or earlier, or later :p). Although it would be nice to get to the end of the season as I think I've got an African Cup of Nations coming up and I'd like to see if I can with the Europa League and get a decent finish in the league. Was 4th from bottom when I took over.

Good luck with your challenge TheEarl. Might try something similar if I ever complete the challenge myself. Although it'll likely be on FM16 when I do.

Currently I've been appointed as Lazio manager alongside the Ghana post, but I've hit a bit of a motivation wall with the pre-release of FM16 being due on Friday (or earlier, or later :p). Although it would be nice to get to the end of the season as I think I've got an African Cup of Nations coming up and I'd like to see if I can with the Europa League and get a decent finish in the league. Was 4th from bottom when I took over.

I understand your motivation lack blackdevil but you shouldnt forget this challenge. And hopefully you will find motivation again to continue your savegame, cause you have made a good start.

The Earls ultimate Ultimate FM Challenge

Chris Earl III stepped nervously into the boardroom of Francisco Artés Carrasco Stadum, Lorca, Murcia, Spain. Just 20 years old he was given an interview as manager of La Hoya.

Would he get the job? And what could this unproven manager accomplish if he got the job?

Stay tuned for more info...

As discussed previously, I felt it was the consensus, or at least the compromise option, to start a new thread so that we could clarify some of the rules, and best attract new challengers.

I thought we might have another day for people to give their opinions about rule clarifications.

Anyway, please feel free to start posting on the new thread, rather than here. Please!

Goodbye, old thread.

th_ay.gif

This won't be a full update, and honestly, with no challenge achievement, its kind of a worthless post... but... :)

I just clinched my third Football League title in four years and just achieved my first trip to a top flight in this save. I'll be joining the Premier League for 2020-21! We wound up winning the Championship with four games left to play, and a final spread of 17 points was the margin of victory! We also crossed the century mark for goals scored for the first time in the save, scoring 105 and only shipping 42 for a differential of +63. :)

I'll have a full update when I hit the end of the September window, but I was excited and wanted to tell someone other than my wife. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived