The Ultimate Football Manager

American Werewolf Football

http://AmericanWerewolfFootball.wordpress.com

2017/18 World Competitions and Awards Update

2017/18 World Competitions Update

Top Domestic Leagues

Barclay’s Premier League: Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City, Norwich, Everton

Jurgen Klopp's Chelsea takes the title back, and Norwich and Everton surprise by getting into European spots.

La Liga: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico

Four in a row for the Madrid phenomenon, with the Top 3 of the table all holding firm in their spots.

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich, Leverkusen, Schalke 04

SIX Bundesliga titles in a row for Bayern. It now seems so very long since Jurgen Klopp repeated at Dortmund. Leverkusen breaks through and this becomes important later on…

Serie A: Juventus, Inter, Fiorentina

That now makes three straight for the Juve beast as Inter and Fiorentina break into the Top 3.

Ligue 1: Paris Saint-Germain, AS Monaco FC, Olympique Marseille

The question remains: Who will drop first, Bayern or PSG, as they also lift their sixth Ligue 1 trophy in a row! Monaco breaks into the Top 3 and moves OM back a spot.

Eredivisie: Feyenoord, Ajax, FC Twente

More repeats, as that is now four in a row for Feyenoord.

South African Premier: Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits

That now makes two in a row for Chiefs! SuperSport United finished 8th after getting back in the league from their surprising relegation.

Hyundai Olibank K League Classic: Ulsan, Jeonbuk, Sangju

Two in a row for Ulsan as Sangju displaces Jeju from the third spot on the podium.

Club Continental Championships

UEFA Champions League: Leverkusen over Dortmund — Barcelona, Benfica — Semis

UEFA Europa League: Arsenal over Napoli — Fenerbache, Inter — Semis

Asian Champions League: Giurare Yokohama over Al-Jazira (UAE) — Naft Tehran, Saitama UTD — Semis

African Champions League: Kaizer Chiefs over Zamalek — Wydad Casablanca, Orlando Pirates — Semis

CONCACAF Champions League: Santos Laguna over America — NYC FC, Sporting KC — Semis

Copa Libertadores: River over Deportivo Cali — San Lorenzo, Flamengo — Semis

FIFA Club World Cup: River over Man City — NYC FC, Orlando Pirates — Semis

International Tournament Updates

UEFA Euros: Next Held 2020

Asian Cup of Nations: Next Held 2019

Copa America: Next Held 2019

Gold Cup: Next Held 2019

African Cup of Nations: Next Held 2019

FIFA World Cup: Spain over England, Third Place Brazil – Next Held 2022

FIFA Confederations Cup: Next Held 2021

2017/18 World Awards Update

FIFA Ballon D’Or: Lionel Messi – (Suarez, Tevez)

World Golden Ball: Lionel Messi – (Suarez, Ronaldo)

Best Player In Europe: Lionel Messi – (Suarez, Ronaldo)

European Golden Boy: Gabriel Barbosa

UEFA Golden Boot: Carlos Tevez — (F. Bonazzoli, C. Immobile)

World Team of the Year: D. De Gea, D. Carvajal, S. Ramos, M. Bartra, J. Gaya, Isco, Koke, L. Suarez, Oscar, C. Ronaldo, L. Messi, D. Alves, Marquinhos, J. Mata, A. Iniesta, F. Llorente, L. Digne, D. Costa

I’ll have another set of updates up shortly after this one, as I have already gotten through another season and am to my update point. I just had been very interested in my season, as it wound up being very intense. Thank you as always for following American Werewolf Football, and we’ll see you again very soon! :)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An American Werewolf in Football!

Stevenage F.C. - 2018-19

StevenageFC_zpsyvtw9dbh.png

All Competitions | Profile One | Profile Two

While we were unable to come up with any silverware in our first season in the Sky Bet Championship, the lads of Stevenage F.C. still had a very successful season that they could be proud of. The Boro was predicted by the media to finish 10th, slightly above mid-table, which also happened to be the expectations of the Stevenage board of directors. When the dust had finally settled, we were 30 minutes shy of promotion, as we lost 3-2 at Wembley in the Championship Play-Off Final to Ipswich Town in extra time. We finished in fourth position after a late-season run watched us catch all but the Top 3.

While it would have been an amazing accomplishment to have the team be promoted three seasons running, I’d only ever approached the season with views on consolidating in the Championship and working to be in the Premier League in two or three seasons. I can’t lie and say it wasn’t disappointing to come up JUST short, but that’s football. I could just smell a bad omen as the morning of the Final we got news that our young captain, full back Norman Webb (on loan from Arsenal), had sustained a broken shoulder in a training session and would miss five weeks. He could have made it through the game with a course of injections, but as he was on loan this was not an option, and I don’t think I would have chosen it even had he been my fully-owned player. Not with the nature of the injury, at least.

We met all of the expectations the board had set out for us, which included making the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, and the Third Round of the Capital One Cup. We actually managed the Fourth Round in both competitions but they were not a priority. It could have been an even greater season, but our strikers, especially young Ed Smits, really had a bit of a problem adapting to the Championship and goals were at an absolute premium throughout the first few months of the season. Smits did eventually find his shooting boots, netting 16 times on the campaign before it was all said and done.

Andreas Pereira, who we wound up being able to purchase for £30K from Manchester United near the end of his contract, won Supporters Player of the Year as he lead the Championship in assists with 12, adding 4 goals and 4 Man of the Match Awards on his way to a 7.09 average rating in 40 appearances.

Other players who made a true difference were Aaron Thorne (loan from Everton) and Michael Folivi (loan from Watford), who are being touted by the media as the next Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney, respectively. We didn’t bring Thorne in until relatively late in the campaign, but he dazzled for us alternating between the number ten role and as an all-out striker. He made only 16 appearances for the club but scored 9 goals and made 5 others, snagging three Player of the Match Awards to go with an average rating of 7.56 with the club. Folivi faded near the end of the season, especially with Thorne’s emergence, but he still scored 6 and made 3 in 25 appearances, at a rating of 6.93. Kyle-Walker Peters and Norman Webb were nearly undroppable as they were dominant for me rampaging forward from left and right back, respectively.

I am speaking to you from early September, just after the window closes for the 2019/20 season, and the club is in very decent financial position as we currently have just under £2M to the good in our balance, and very little club debt. The only current debt we are carrying is £350K of the £400K loan that was taken out to turn our stadium into an all-seater upon our promotion to the Championship. We have raised the number of season ticket holders to 2,925, and when we took over the club was barely selling 1,000 season tickets. Our estimated club value is now £6.5M, with a total of £375K in debt all told with interest. Much improvement, and we are also a three-star reputation club, which has our board absolutely delighted! My history also shows that I have a positive £6.5M net transfer spend, so even though we’ve been roaring through the leagues up until now, we’ve been able to upgrade the youth facilities once, and we’re finishing a second upgrade in October. I am currently employing 15 scouts and am allowed 5 more, but am still choosing to wait as I haven’t really found any more juicy candidates that I do not already employ, so I am waiting for more world knowledge there.

I am now aiming for promotion to the Premier League, and hoping to do it is as Champions. The board expects me to challenge for the title and I have had no complaints with how we have been able to work together. I just was able to renegotiate my contract, and they allowed me to ask for another increase to the payroll when I did it, to where we now have a wage budget of just over £175K per week, with about £30K available wages for me to add in the January window or through free transfers during this campaign. I am very excited and very proud of my lads at The Boro, as because of our hard work I am now listed as a club “Icon” and hopefully before we’re through I’ll etch my name as their first club “Legend.” With my one year extension, my contract now runs through 2022, and we are in September of 2019. Here is hoping I can be well established in the Premier League and maybe starting to knock out some of the silverware we will need before we depart England.

Along with my contract extension, once we were given our funds for being in the Championship, I was allowed to begin work on my Continental “A” License, and we should finish that next offseason. We’re looking towards hopefully having all possible coaching qualifications by the Summer of 2021 if all goes well, when I will be 27 years of age. Offers for interviews and even for jobs themselves have come in as well, as I turned down the Australian National Team job, even though they were ranked 30th in the World Rankings, and I also turned down interviews at Blackburn, Wigan, Fulham and Leeds. None of these positions except for the Australia post would have offered any upward mobility at all. Undoubtedly more in the budgets on offer in a few of the other Championship jobs, but definitely not anything to make me uproot from what I’ve started here.

I did declare interest when the Arsenal and Man City jobs came available, along with Hull. Hull laughed me off, but both Arsenal and City both seriously considered me, even though I never did get to an interview. I have vowed to make Hull pay, though — they honestly should have been happy I even said I would be interested in their job…and they are paying for it now as after 3 matches in the new BPL season they sit dead-last in the table with 3 losses and a putrid -6 goal differential. They will most likely go down and never have a chance at my services again. :D

Thank you as always for following American Werewolf Football, and be on the lookout for the 2018/19 World Competitions Update over the next day or so! :)

Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues

0/10 domestic cups

0/5 club continental championships

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments

0/2 world tournaments

[b]Club Career:[size=2]

[i]2015-16: England - Sky Bet League Two - Stevenage FC:[/i] Above mid-table finish was expected, we crashed out in the Playoff Semi-Final to miss promotion.
[i]2016-17: England - Sky Bet League Two - Stevenage FC:[/i] Expected to win title, won League Two with record point total of 104.  Promoted.  JPT Finalist, great cup performances. 
[i]2017-18: England - Sky Bet League One - Stevenage FC:[/i] Initial expectation of Playoffs, won League One Title with five fixtures remaining.  JPT Finalist 2nd straight season. 
[i]2018-19: England - Sky Bet Championship - Stevenage FC:[/i] Above mid-table expected, finished 4th position and lost in extra-time of Championship Play-off Final to miss promotion.[/b][/size]

[b]International Career:[size=2]           

[i]2015-Present:[/i] Unemployed internationally.    [/b] [/size]  

[b]Minor Trophies:[size=2]

[i]Sky Bet League 1 (2017-18), Sky Bet League 2 (2016-17) [/i]     [/b] [/size]        

Maybe we need to make a decision regarding what counts and doesn't in the MLS. I haven't played for any length of time in the MLS, so I think input from Busta Raymes and Normandy wept would be helpful.

The MLS Cup is the "league title": it's the soccer equivalent of the Superbowl so it has to be. If you can win the Supporters' Shield too, all the better, but the MLS Cup winner is what Americans would call the "champion" and is consistent with other leagues where we've ruled that winning the playoff competition is what wins you the league.

Winners and only 1 trophy left of this challenge Copa America. Will I have to wait all the way until 2043???

This is putting some serious pressure on my HSV side! :)

But seriously, TheEarl, go ahead and grab that title. I'm cheering you on even though we're in competition to finish first. I think you'll get there if you manage a top international side; I'll need at least the same three or four seasons most likely to build Hamburg up to European champions.

And in other news, great to see vikeologist already acquainted with the Newcastle United club motto, "we'll be great next season"...

This is putting some serious pressure on my HSV side! :)

But seriously, TheEarl, go ahead and grab that title. I'm cheering you on even though we're in competition to finish first. I think you'll get there if you manage a top international side; I'll need at least the same three or four seasons most likely to build Hamburg up to European champions.

And in other news, great to see vikeologist already acquainted with the Newcastle United club motto, "we'll be great next season"...

Thanks for comments NW!!!

I still think you can do it first, but its great to see both of us nearing completion. Good luck with your HSV side, makes me think of good old days with Kevin Keegan ;)

June 2039 Chris Earl II was getting restless. No club or country to manage was not his style, so when the club at his heart Arsenal needed a new manager he could not resist to finally join them.

Earl II is now seen almost 24 hours a day at The Emirates with a phone in one hand and a tablet in the other. Its thought that he is highly active on the transfer market trying to bring in new faces to put Arsenal out of their misery finishing just 12th in last seasons Premier League. Can The Manager bring glory back to North London once again?

Season 2017 - Corinthians

The season in Brazil start with the regeonal state championships, what better way to build tactical familiarity and squad harmony by beating a bunch of duffers.

That was my previous experience of the state championships when in an alternative reality I managed Gremio.

Unlike the Gaúcho state championship there's more that two decent teams in the São Paulo State Championship. Palmeiras, Ponte Preta, Santos, São Paulo and of course Corinthians are all First Division clubs.

However just like my alternative reality experience the state championship was a walk in the park with the only difficult games against Palmeiras, Santos & São Paulo resulting in 14 wins and 1 draw (vs Palmeiras) to finish top of the table.

Unfortunately my assistant didn't tell me that it went to a play off! I mean really? When did that happen? Ah well, an easy Quarter Final again Pointy Prezel or whoever they are, can't be difficult.

Being down 0-2 in 20mins had me starring at the pitch in disbelive. This isn't supposed to happen, what you doing lads? Score some goals!!! 18mins later and it's 2-2...the natural order is resumed...until just 1min later they scored again...loosing 2-3 wasn't in the script :(

A bitterly disappointing result and end to the São Paulo State Championship which was ultmately won by the Pointy Prezel's (sorry, Ponte Preta). It has however ensured that I'll look at the make up of each competition so I'm not surprised by sudden games popping up and I won't be taking any team for granted either.

The Copa Libertadores group was handled with ease with 5 wins and 1 draw with Mexican side Pumas to see us both through to the knockout stage. In the 2nd round second division team Fluminense.

Yep, they'd been relegated the season before and had qualified via winning the Brazillian Cup. A 3-1 win away followed by a 1-1 draw at home saw us through to the Quarter Final 4-2 on aggregate.

The Quarter Final saw us facing Newell's, last seasons Argentine champions. An "entertaining" 3-3 draw in Argentina had me feeling a little aprehensive for the return game. Thankfully my players decided to spare me some grey hairs and thumped them 4-0...why couldn't they do that in the first leg!!!

The Semi Final pitted us against Nacional from Uruguay. Not taking anything for granted despite being firm favourites resulted in a 3-1 win in the away leg which we followed up with a 4-0 smashing at home to see us into the final in some style.

The Final was contested between Corinthians and Santos Laguna. As always it seems, the away leg first saw us humiliated 1-3 and we were lucky to score the one goal. Completely one sided as we didn't turn up at all.

The home leg didn't start good and we fell even further behind when they took the lead on the 42nd min. Some aggressive words at half time and the boys responded....well Alexandre Pato did by scoring a hattrick to make it 3-1 and all square on aggregate.

In an earlier post I'd mentioned a midfielder who was leading my goalscoring charts at the time, as is typical his scoring exploits dried up after posting that comment but it was now his time to shine again and shine he did. With an 112th min extra-time winner to seal the Copa Libertadores!

The Brazil Cup saw us easily navigate past Botafogo, Grêmio, Atlético Paranaense to meet our city rivals São Paulo in the Final.

Surprisingly the home leg was first and a tense 3-2 win saw us go into the second leg with a slender lead. The second leg was a dull dour game and the only thing to happen was on the 60th min when São Paulo took the lead 1-0 and took the game to penalties. I sent the players out to take the penalties while I went to make a brew, I came back to a pleasing 4-3 penalty shoot out win.

The First division campaign was a bit disappointing really. It seemed at first that Palmeiras would challenge us, but then Flamengo took over the challenge but it never really amounted to much and they finished 2nd and 15 points behind us. I was expecting a much tougher time so a bit disappointed as I like a contest.

And finally the Club World Cup, the reason I was still awake at 1:30am...

The Semi Final drew us against Cruz Azul and I was fearing a difficult time of it as we did when facing Santos Laguna but my fears for nought as we won 3-1 and progress to face the mighty Juventus.

The Grand Lady of Italian football, the footballing institution and world renowned Juvenus. Could we the impoverished South American minow (relatively anyway) take on the Giant and at least give them a game.

Two swift slaps to the face and 11mins later we were 0-2 down and on the 20th min mark I'd paused the game. I was at a loss as to what to do to get us back into it. It just seemed that they were superior all over the park.

And then I remembered the little note on the scout report that said they were vulnerable to 4-2-3-1....it's not all that different to the formation I'd played most of the season...why not try it, nothing to loose.

We stopped the tide and managed to get a foothold in the game and on the 44th min Lucas Leiva scores the best goal he'll ever score in real or digital life as he rockets one in from 30 odd yards into the top right hand corner (think Rooney volley vs Newcastle) and with our tails up and wagging ten to the dozen Vagner Love grabs an equaliser in injury time of the first half.

The second half was an even tussle back and forth without any breakthrough likely until the 83rd min when Alexandre Pato was "fouled" when challenging for a cross into the box and a penalty was awarded. And up steps...Fabio! WTF!!! Why's my strikers or attacking midfielders not taking it? Why is a fullback taking it? Head in hands starring at the screen in disbelieve that FABIO is taking the f*****g pen.

I love that little guy, always thought he was the better of the Da Silva twins, especially as he wellies the ball into the top corner giving the keeper no chance and sending me on a merry dance around the room and on my knees arm aloft in celebration. Not many things in Football Manager can get me celebrating like that but a come back like that in a major cup final...it's the stuff of memories.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now as I decide what to do. Possibly another season at Corinthians? Move to another league? Choices choices...

Challenge Progress

Club

2/10 top domestic leagues (USA, BRA)

2/10 domestic cups (USA, BRA)

2/5 club continental championships (NACL, LIB)

1/1 club world championship (Corinthians)

International

0/2 world tournaments

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
			Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont.	CWC	Other & Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015	USA	Seattle		Won		Won				MLS Cup, US Cup
2015/16	MEX	Querétaro		3rd			Won		NACL
2016	BRA	Corinthians	2nd
2017	BRA	Corinthians	1st		Won		Won	Won	League, Cup, Libertadores, CWC

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
		Rank		Cups
Year	Nation		FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aye, enjoyed Brazil much more than either USA or Mexico. Some of the football was a joy to watch even if it was against me. (Looking forward to seeing the new motion capture they've got for FM16).

I don't recall ever playing a play-off in the Gaúcho state championship but it's probably just that and I don't remember it.

Fingers crossed you'll get a suitable international job soon, just the Copa America left isn't it?

Season 2076/77 - Hamburg

NBK9v39.png

League | Schedule Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3

Another two-place improvement saw the HSV project continue to progress, although to be honest it didn't exactly feel like it as a dismal Europa League showing combined with a six-game winless run to open the season which allegedly even put my job under threat.

We recovered admirably from that and put in some superb form to march up the table, but the board seriously annoyed me by cutting my wage budget by nearly 40% mid-season and starting to judge me against the new standard. If the budget isn't restored now that TV and prize monies have been paid, my position will quickly become untenable: I've already made Hamburg cheaper, younger, and more technical, but I can't work with peanuts. I'm progressing the club but at the moment it doesn't feel like the business side of the club is delivering. We've shrunk or stagnated in our sponsorship deals every year and that needs to change to give us a chance on the football pitch.

That said, we were definitely closer to joining Europe's elite or even competing for the title this year. My own project is progressing well and without the slow start we'd have been very close. I'm optimistic that if the board can quit being objectionable, there is success to be had here and to that end I've signed another contract extension in the hope of a major breakthrough next time out.

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues (ARG, ENG, ESP, FRA, IND, ITA, KOR, POR, USA)

10/10 domestic cups (AUS, BRA, ENG, ESP, FRA, IND, ITA, KOR, MEX, POR)

4/5 club continental championships (Africa, Asia, N.Am., S.Am.)

1/1 club world championship

International

5/5 continental tournaments (Africa, Asia, Europe, N.Am., S.Am.)

2/2 world tournaments (WC, Confed.)

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
Season        Club           1st      2nd    1st  2nd   Cont.   CWC   Other & Notes
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT        12th                                     Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                         R2   R1                 Sacked after 16 games, in 16th
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers       6th             QF
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                       won                     Sacked after 22 games, in 10th
2018/19  IND  Dempo                           GS                      Sacked after 19 games, in 11th
2019/20  IND  Bengaluru       6th             SF   F
2020/21  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F
2021/22  IND  Bengaluru       1st             GS   won  CC R2
2022/23  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F    CL Q3E
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                                 CC QF         Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2024     KOR  Jeju            5th             SF
2025     KOR  Jeju            8th             SF
2026     KOR  Jeju            8th             QF
2027     KOR  Jeju                            QF                      Left for Pohang after 32 games, in 7th
2027     KOR  Pohang          5th             won                     Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th
2028     KOR  Pohang                                    CL GS         Sacked after 16 games, in 5th
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk         5th             SF                      Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                         R4                      Sacked after 35 games, in 7th
2030     KOR  Jeju                                                    Left for Wellington after 16 games, in 4th
2030/31  AUS  Wellington     10th
2031/32  AUS  Wellington     10th
2032/33  AUS  Wellington      7th
2033/34  AUS  Wellington                                              Left for Perth after 4 games, in 6th
2033/34  AUS  Perth           9th                                     Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2034/35  AUS  Perth           7th
2035/36  AUS  Perth           5th/SF
2036/37  AUS  Perth                                                   Left for Seoul after 12 games, in 2nd
2037     KOR  Seoul           1st             SF        CL won  3rd
2038/39  MEX  Chivas          6th/SF  3rd/ F  QF  won
2039/40  MEX  Chivas         11th     2nd/QF            CL won
2041     USA  New York        1st/won         R4
2042     BRA  Internacional   5th     1st/won won                     Reached 1,000 games in management
2043     BRA  Internacional           1st/won SF        CL QF         Left for Lanus after 34 national games, in 7th
2044     ARG  Lanus           6th             R5        CS P2E
2045     ARG  Lanus                           R5                      Left for Velez after 15 games, in 11th
2045     ARG  Velez           4th/1st                   CS QF    F    Took over with 14 games remaining, in 1st
2046     ARG  Velez           5th/4th         R7        CL won   won
2047     ARG  Velez           1st             R7        CL QF
2049/50  FRA  Monaco          4th             F   R4    EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2050/51  ITA  Inter           4th             F         EL R2
2051/52  ITA  Inter                                                   Sacked after 16 games, in 14th
2051/52  ITA  Lazio           8th                                     Took over with 21 games remaining, in 12th
2052/53  ITA  Lazio                                                   Sacked after 5 games, in 17th
2054/55  RSA  Wits           10th                 R1                  Took over with 12 games remaining, in 13th
2055/56  RSA  Wits                            R1  R1    CL won   5th  Left for Valencia after 29 games, in 8th
2056/57  ESP  Valencia        7th             R5        EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2057/58  FRA  Monaco          3rd             SF  F     EL won
2058/59  FRA  Monaco          2nd             SF  R4    EL F
2059/60  FRA  Monaco          1st             won QF    CL R1
2060/61  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL QF
2061/62  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL GS
2062/63  ITA  Roma            3rd             F         EL F          Reached 2,000 games in management
2063/64  ITA  Roma                            QF        CL QF         Resigned after 33 games, in 8th
2064/65  ITA  Lazio          10th             R1
2065/65  ITA  Lazio           9th             QF
2066/67  ITA  Juventus        1st             won       CL R1
2067/68  ESP  Valencia        2nd             QF        EL GS
2068/69  ESP  Barcelona       1st             won       EL R1
2069/70  ENG  Man City        7th             R3        EL won        Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2070/71  ENG  Man City        3rd             R4  R3    CL R1
2071/72  ENG  Man City        1st             won R4    EL SF
2072/73  POR  FCP             1st             won won   EL QF         Reached 2,500 games in management
2073/74  ENG  Fulham         11th             R4                      Took over with 18 games remaining, in 17th
2074/75  DEU  Hamburg         8th             F
2075/76  DEU  Hamburg         6th             R3
2076/77  DEU  Hamburg         4th             R3        EL GS

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
Year  Nation           FIFA  NL   World  Cont. Conf. Other & Notes
2032  Saudi Arabia      12                           Joined 11th Jul, 29th in FIFA Rankings
2033  Saudi Arabia      25
2034  Saudi Arabia      49         GS
2035  Saudi Arabia                        won        Resigned 4th Feb, 38th in FIFA Rankings
2036  Norway            61   C                       Joined 27th Jul, 54th in FIFA Rankings
2037  Norway            57
2038  Norway            44   B
2039  Norway            39                           Resigned 14th Nov, 39th in FIFA Rankings
2042  Tunisia           36                           Joined 20th Jul, 42nd in FIFA Rankings
2043  Tunisia                             GS         Resigned 27th Jan, 37th in FIFA Rankings
2047  South Africa      22                           Joined 17th Feb, 10th in FIFA Rankings
2048  South Africa      19
2049  South Africa                        won        Resigned 7th Feb, 19th in FIFA Rankings
2049  USA               14                           Joined 1st Aug, 9th in FIFA Rankings
2050  USA               19         GS
2051  USA                                 won        Resigned 30th Jul, 31st in FIFA Rankings
2052  Spain              9                           Joined 21st Jul, 7th in FIFA Rankings
2053  Spain             10  won                      Reached 1,500 games in management
2054  Spain              1         won               Left for Brazil 2nd Aug, 1st in FIFA Rankings
2054  Brazil            14                           Joined 3rd Aug, 13th in FIFA Rankings
2055  Brazil            15                GS
2056  Brazil             2
2057  Brazil             6
2058  Brazil                       R1                Sacked 15th Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2058  Spain              8   A                       Joined 21st Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings
2059  Spain             18
2060  Spain              2                won
2061  Spain                 won                 won  Resigned 9th Jul, 2nd in FIFA Rankings
2062  Brazil             6                           Joined 23rd Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2063  Brazil                              won        Resigned 7th Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings

NW - is 4th enough for the champions league? if and when jobs come up at bigger German clubs, are you expressing interest?

Blackdevil-even though I'm managing the Brazilian national team, I really don't plan to manage a club in Brazil (again). Just too many games. I think Brazil is fun if you're in the lower divisions, though maybe frustrating as its difficult to get promotion. Anyway, congratulations on your success.

Earl - Why is it frustrating to not have a job? Surely times flies. I wonder what would happen to our reputations if we were unemployed for a significant amount of time. You can't have been unemployed for long. I would be amazed if I didn't finish the club side of things with a significant number of international trophies left to collect, so I expect to spend maybe the last 40 or 50 years of the challenge without a club job.

Except I rely quite heavily on club scouts for my national side scouting, as they're usually much better, and national scout reports don't seem to be as good. Anyway, like just about everything I say on this forum these days, I'm basically just constantly repeating myself these days.

JDD - Making good progress.

Supergord - welcome back, congrats and good luck in Mexico.

vike was unemployed for half a season, but before that I had only international management for 2,5 years so I felt restless and didn't want to just holiday/click through another 3 years without anything to do. Still I guess it was only the prospect to take over my beloved Arsenal that got me back in the game.

NW great to see HSV rising, same question from me, will you play Champions League or Europa League next season?

Unfortunately 4th is not good enough for CL football this year - needed to be top 3. So we'll again be in the Europa League, and trying to continue the improvement trend in the league.

I turned down the Schalke job last year: I don't think they were really better than Hamburg. Leverkusen are a step ahead, but I'd probably only consider going to Bayern to be honest.

Well, Bayern is the only club in Germany that's bigger than HSV, really.

The emphasis here is on the word "bigger" - as opposed to "better". So HSV are big in Germany the same way Liverpool are big in England... ;)

A bit of a dilemma: the Dortmund manager has just taken over Germany, and the bookies have me as the favourite to be offered the job.

On the one hand, I'm finally implementing some long-term squad building at Hamburg, but on the other hand, Dortmund are already in the Champions League and have a bigger wage budget and plenty of dosh. It's going to be a hard decision if they do come knocking.

Dortmund Offered Me The Manager's Post. So I Took Them Up On The Offer

I Done My Time In South America

eHKNEzD.jpg?1

It Was A Hard Battle To Take The Title Away From Bayern. It Was Done With The Last Game Against Frankfut Winning 4-1

Also Won The German Cup With A 1-0 Win Against Bremen.

Took Over The Brazil U23 Myself . To Find Young Player's For The First Team.

w9KyIIy.jpg?1

Stayed With Dortmund For Another Season, Because No Half Decent Team's Wanted A Manager.

CLUB CAREER                      
                                                                      -----------
Season                Club                Leagues            Cups                                     Other & Notes
                                         1st      2nd       1st        2nd       Cont      CWC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14  SANFD        African Warriors                                                                Loaded China Which Starts In Dec                                                                                                            2013
2014/15  SANFD        African Warriors    1st                 SA FACup                                
2015/16  SAPL         African Warriors    5th                 SA FACup   SA KO                        Manager Of The Year
2016/17  SAPL         African Warriors    1st                 SA FACup   SA KO                        Manager Of The Year. Won Also                                                                                                               Super 8 Cup/African Super Cup
2017/18  SAPL         African Warriors    1st                                       ACL               Resigned After Winning African                                                                                                              Champions League
2017     MLS          Real Salt Lake                                                                  Took Over After They Finished                                                                                                               6th. Can Get Use To The Transfer                                                                                                            System
2018     MLS          Real Salt Lake      1st                 US Cup                                  Won Rocky Mountain Cup. Can't Put                                                                                                           It As Second Cup Only Between RSL                                                                                                           & Colorado
2018/19  WPL          Bangor City         7th                 Welsh Cup                               Would Have Finished 2nd But                                                                                                                 League Splits In 2. Resigned And                                                                                                            Aplied For Palmeiras
2019     BNFD         Palmeiras           1st                 Brazilian Cup         C Lib   CWC       Took Over After They Finished                                                                                                               4th. Also Won The Copa                                                                                                                      Sudamericana. CLub World Cup
2020     BNFD         Palmeiras                                                                       Winning The South American                                                                                                                  Recopa. What I Thought Was The                                                                                                              South American's Champions                                                                                                                  League, And Forgot About The Club                                                                                                           World Championship (Idiot).
2019/20  GFD          Dortmund                                                                        Offered Me The Job After                                                                                                                    Finishing 6th Last Season.
2020/21  GFD          Dortmund            1st                 German Cup
2021/22  GFD          Dortmund            1st                 German Cup  GSC                         

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                                  --------------------

Season   Nation          Cups                                                                         Other & Notes
                        World Cup    Confed Cup    Euro's    AFC    ACON    Gold Cup   Copa America

2016     Uruguay U23                                                                                  Took Over The Under 23 Finished                                                                                                             3rd Place In The Olympic Games
2017     South Africa                 1st                                                             Win Over Another Suprise Finalist                                                                                                           CANADA 4-2.Resigned Didn't Think                                                                                                            About Copa America
2018     Brazil                                                                                       First Game In Charge Against                                                                                                                Argentina 2-2 Won On Pen's.
2019     Brazil                                                                            1st        After A Convincing Win Over                                                                                                                 Uruguay 4-0 In The Final
2020     Brazil U23                                                                                   Won The Olympic's
2021     Brazil                       1st

A bit of a dilemma: the Dortmund manager has just taken over Germany, and the bookies have me as the favourite to be offered the job.

On the one hand, I'm finally implementing some long-term squad building at Hamburg, but on the other hand, Dortmund are already in the Champions League and have a bigger wage budget and plenty of dosh. It's going to be a hard decision if they do come knocking.

I've Done It With Dortmund, So Can You

I've Done It With Dortmund, So Can You

I have rejected Dortmund. This proved a good move as we have started the season on fire, unbeaten after about 10 games in all competitions and with a very healthy goal difference. Bayern are struggling, if their job comes up it will be a new dilemma but for now I'm sticking with HSV and hopeful of a top-three finish this time around.

Season 2077/78 - Hamburg

NBK9v39.png

League | Schedule Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3

This was an absolute rollercoaster of the season. As I mentioned in other posts, I turned down Dortmund at the start of the campaign, partly because I'd been able to sell the German Player of the Year and reinvest the funds very nicely on two new wingers, which combined with some of the youngsters I signed a few years ago returning from their latest loans ready to become squad players had me very optimistic about the campaign to come.

As I also mentioned previously, we began the season superbly: we went into December having lost only one game in the league and I was incredibly confident that we would finally break into the top three in the league. We then duly lost two games in December and a ridiculous six after the winter break to condemn us to 7th place, a step back on last year and bitterly disappointing after how things started.

It looked like we would sneak into the Champions League via the back-door however as we went after my third Europa League win. I was very confident going into the Final after we superbly beat Bayern 3-2 on aggregate in the Semi, but Galatasaray stunned us on the big stage to confirm a very disappointing season overall.

I need to go back to the tactical drawing board ahead of next season. Our 4-4-2 has scored plenty of goals, but it was far too open and even quite average teams were able to exploit us on the counter in the second half of the season. A rethink is needed to make my fifth season in charge of Hamburg a successful one.

(And yes, Dortmund won the league whilst Bayern recovered from an indifferent start to finish 2nd, so not only is my rejection of last summer's job looking a mistake, I also won't be getting the biggest job in the country this summer. Ho hum.)

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues (ARG, ENG, ESP, FRA, IND, ITA, KOR, POR, USA)

10/10 domestic cups (AUS, BRA, ENG, ESP, FRA, IND, ITA, KOR, MEX, POR)

4/5 club continental championships (Africa, Asia, N.Am., S.Am.)

1/1 club world championship

International

5/5 continental tournaments (Africa, Asia, Europe, N.Am., S.Am.)

2/2 world tournaments (WC, Confed.)

Seasons

CLUB CAREER
                               Leagues        Cups
Season        Club           1st      2nd    1st  2nd   Cont.   CWC   Other & Notes
2014/15  RSA  Ajax CT        12th                                     Took over with 3 games remaining, in 15th
2015/16  RSA  Ajax CT                         R2   R1                 Sacked after 16 games, in 16th
2016/17  AUS  Wanderers       6th             QF
2017/18  AUS  Wanderers                       won                     Sacked after 22 games, in 10th
2018/19  IND  Dempo                           GS                      Sacked after 19 games, in 11th
2019/20  IND  Bengaluru       6th             SF   F
2020/21  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F
2021/22  IND  Bengaluru       1st             GS   won  CC R2
2022/23  IND  Bengaluru       2nd             won  F    CL Q3E
2023/24  IND  Bengaluru                                 CC QF         Resigned after CC QF defeat/before league season
2024     KOR  Jeju            5th             SF
2025     KOR  Jeju            8th             SF
2026     KOR  Jeju            8th             QF
2027     KOR  Jeju                            QF                      Left for Pohang after 32 games, in 7th
2027     KOR  Pohang          5th             won                     Took over with 6 games remaining, in 5th
2028     KOR  Pohang                                    CL GS         Sacked after 16 games, in 5th
2028     KOR  Jeonbuk         5th             SF                      Took over with 20 games remaining, in 7th
2029     KOR  Jeonbuk                         R4                      Sacked after 35 games, in 7th
2030     KOR  Jeju                                                    Left for Wellington after 16 games, in 4th
2030/31  AUS  Wellington     10th
2031/32  AUS  Wellington     10th
2032/33  AUS  Wellington      7th
2033/34  AUS  Wellington                                              Left for Perth after 4 games, in 6th
2033/34  AUS  Perth           9th                                     Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2034/35  AUS  Perth           7th
2035/36  AUS  Perth           5th/SF
2036/37  AUS  Perth                                                   Left for Seoul after 12 games, in 2nd
2037     KOR  Seoul           1st             SF        CL won  3rd
2038/39  MEX  Chivas          6th/SF  3rd/ F  QF  won
2039/40  MEX  Chivas         11th     2nd/QF            CL won
2041     USA  New York        1st/won         R4
2042     BRA  Internacional   5th     1st/won won                     Reached 1,000 games in management
2043     BRA  Internacional           1st/won SF        CL QF         Left for Lanus after 34 national games, in 7th
2044     ARG  Lanus           6th             R5        CS P2E
2045     ARG  Lanus                           R5                      Left for Velez after 15 games, in 11th
2045     ARG  Velez           4th/1st                   CS QF    F    Took over with 14 games remaining, in 1st
2046     ARG  Velez           5th/4th         R7        CL won   won
2047     ARG  Velez           1st             R7        CL QF
2049/50  FRA  Monaco          4th             F   R4    EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2050/51  ITA  Inter           4th             F         EL R2
2051/52  ITA  Inter                                                   Sacked after 16 games, in 14th
2051/52  ITA  Lazio           8th                                     Took over with 21 games remaining, in 12th
2052/53  ITA  Lazio                                                   Sacked after 5 games, in 17th
2054/55  RSA  Wits           10th                 R1                  Took over with 12 games remaining, in 13th
2055/56  RSA  Wits                            R1  R1    CL won   5th  Left for Valencia after 29 games, in 8th
2056/57  ESP  Valencia        7th             R5        EL GS         Sacked after final game of season
2057/58  FRA  Monaco          3rd             SF  F     EL won
2058/59  FRA  Monaco          2nd             SF  R4    EL F
2059/60  FRA  Monaco          1st             won QF    CL R1
2060/61  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL QF
2061/62  ITA  Roma            3rd             R1        CL GS
2062/63  ITA  Roma            3rd             F         EL F          Reached 2,000 games in management
2063/64  ITA  Roma                            QF        CL QF         Resigned after 33 games, in 8th
2064/65  ITA  Lazio          10th             R1
2065/65  ITA  Lazio           9th             QF
2066/67  ITA  Juventus        1st             won       CL R1
2067/68  ESP  Valencia        2nd             QF        EL GS
2068/69  ESP  Barcelona       1st             won       EL R1
2069/70  ENG  Man City        7th             R3        EL won        Took over with 23 games remaining, in 10th
2070/71  ENG  Man City        3rd             R4  R3    CL R1
2071/72  ENG  Man City        1st             won R4    EL SF
2072/73  POR  FCP             1st             won won   EL QF         Reached 2,500 games in management
2073/74  ENG  Fulham         11th             R4                      Took over with 18 games remaining, in 17th
2074/75  DEU  Hamburg         8th             F
2075/76  DEU  Hamburg         6th             R3
2076/77  DEU  Hamburg         4th             R3        EL GS
2077/78  DEU  Hamburg         7th             R3        EL F

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Rank         Cups
Year  Nation           FIFA  NL   World  Cont. Conf. Other & Notes
2032  Saudi Arabia      12                           Joined 11th Jul, 29th in FIFA Rankings
2033  Saudi Arabia      25
2034  Saudi Arabia      49         GS
2035  Saudi Arabia                        won        Resigned 4th Feb, 38th in FIFA Rankings
2036  Norway            61   C                       Joined 27th Jul, 54th in FIFA Rankings
2037  Norway            57
2038  Norway            44   B
2039  Norway            39                           Resigned 14th Nov, 39th in FIFA Rankings
2042  Tunisia           36                           Joined 20th Jul, 42nd in FIFA Rankings
2043  Tunisia                             GS         Resigned 27th Jan, 37th in FIFA Rankings
2047  South Africa      22                           Joined 17th Feb, 10th in FIFA Rankings
2048  South Africa      19
2049  South Africa                        won        Resigned 7th Feb, 19th in FIFA Rankings
2049  USA               14                           Joined 1st Aug, 9th in FIFA Rankings
2050  USA               19         GS
2051  USA                                 won        Resigned 30th Jul, 31st in FIFA Rankings
2052  Spain              9                           Joined 21st Jul, 7th in FIFA Rankings
2053  Spain             10  won                      Reached 1,500 games in management
2054  Spain              1         won               Left for Brazil 2nd Aug, 1st in FIFA Rankings
2054  Brazil            14                           Joined 3rd Aug, 13th in FIFA Rankings
2055  Brazil            15                GS
2056  Brazil             2
2057  Brazil             6
2058  Brazil                       R1                Sacked 15th Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2058  Spain              8   A                       Joined 21st Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings
2059  Spain             18
2060  Spain              2                won
2061  Spain                 won                 won  Resigned 9th Jul, 2nd in FIFA Rankings
2062  Brazil             6                           Joined 23rd Jul, 6th in FIFA Rankings
2063  Brazil                              won        Resigned 7th Jul, 8th in FIFA Rankings

What amazes me is that more than 10 of the 14 pages of this thread are from less than the last 6 months. I thought quite a few people took part in the challenge between November and April. I'm surprised how back-ended it is. Anyway I suspect we're about to get a lot of new people, like when your gym is overcrowded the first week of January.

I just wish I could go with the speed you guys do... I just cannot stop using Comprehensive full-time. I love the feeling of being on the touchline and giving my pep talks every 10 minutes. I'd be hoarse like Klopp on the touchline from all the yelling and whistling.

I'm definitely getting to the point where its harder for me to stop once I start a play session. I absolutely love what I'm building at Stevenage, I think there is only three or maybe four Premier League clubs that could get me to leave. I rather think I'll be there anyway after this season, barring a meltdown or medical crisis.

I started this to see if it'd hold my interest for more than a season or two which has been my issue for the past couple of editions...since I did the Dafuge challenge in FM13...and to get myself in the mood for the new version.

I'm thinking I'll do another one of these when the new one comes out as I've never done a journeyman save before and this is the "Ultimate" journeyman challenge :) nice crowd in here too.

Might start in Europe next time though....choices choices.

I've noticed this season that my stadium keeps changing. Sometimes it has a roof and other times it doesn't. Has anyone else noticed that?

Wheresmyspacebar! - Welcome back.

I'm beginning to loose my patience with this game :mad: 3 games in 3 days and 4 in 5. And earlier in the season I was playing a game every other day for two months.

And the stupid, crybaby players....whining about underachieving because we're 7th, but dumbasses, if we win our two games in hand we go 3 points clear at the top!!! Not to mention you could have played better in previous games!!!

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I hope the interaction stuff has improved for the next version as the "generic answers" in this one are useless and don't take into account circumstances. Ah well, rant over and I feel better now.....sorta :)

On a the plus side to the fixture list and battle to find fit players I've dipped into the under 20's squad and found this little kid for left back. With that name couldn't not pick him :D he's a model pro too!!

edt* fixed the picture link :rolleyes:

American Werewolf Football

2018/19 World Competitions and Awards Update

2018/19 World Competitions Update

Top Domestic Leagues

Barclay’s Premier League: Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United, Liverpool, Tottenham

Chelsea wins for the second straight season, but miss out on a great double as United beat them in the Champions League Final at the San Siro.

La Liga: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico

That makes five in a row for the Madrid galacticos, as the top 3 in the table remain the same for the third consecutive year.

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Leverkusen

That makes seven straight for the Munich dynasty… as you’ll see below, who will end first, Bayern or Paris Saint-Germain? Dortmund gets back near the top here…

Serie A: Juventus, Inter, Roma

Four in a row for Juventus with Inter second again. Roma knocks Fiorentina off the podium this time.

Ligue 1: Paris Saint-Germain, AS Monaco FC, Olympique Marseille

The same podium as last season as PSG also make it seven straight. Who do you think will lose their domestic title first, PSG or Bayern Munich?

Eredivisie: Feyenoord, FC Twente, Ajax

Twente and Ajax flip podium positions, but they can’t keep five in a row from Feyenoord!

South African Premier: Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Wits

That now makes two in a row for Chiefs! SuperSport United finished 8th after getting back in the league from their surprising relegation.

Hyundai Olibank K League Classic: Ulsan, Jeonbuk, Sangju

Two in a row for Ulsan as Sangju displaces Jeju from the third spot on the podium.

Club Continental Championships

UEFA Champions League: Manchester United over Chelsea — Juventus, Bayern — Semis

UEFA Europa League: Borussia Dortmund over Roma — Napoli, Ajax — Semis

Asian Champions League: Ulsan over Al-Jaish (QAT) — Pohang, Al-Hilal (KSA) — Semis

African Champions League: Zamalek over Kaizer Chiefs — ES Tunis, Al-Ahly — Semis

CONCACAF Champions League: Chivas over Pumas — NYC FC, Sporting KC — Semis

Copa Libertadores: Velez over Pumas — River, Emelec — Semis

FIFA Club World Cup: Leverkusen over Santos Laguna — Velez, Giurare Yokohama — Semis

International Tournament Updates

UEFA Euros: Next Held 2020

Asian Cup of Nations: South Korea over Iran, Qatar Third – Next Held 2023

Copa America: Uruguay over Brazil, Ecuador Third – Next Held 2023

Gold Cup: Jamaica over USA, Mexico Third – Next Held 2021

African Cup of Nations: Nigeria over Tunisia – Algeria Third – Next Held 2021

FIFA World Cup: Next Held 2022

FIFA Confederations Cup: Next Held 2021

2018/19 World Awards Update

FIFA Ballon D’Or: Isco – (L. Messi, J. Gaya)

World Golden Ball: Lionel Messi – (Isco, C. Ronaldo)

Best Player In Europe: Lionel Messi – (L. Suarez, M. Gotze)

European Golden Boy: Jesus Vallejo (Zaragoza)

UEFA Golden Boot: Giuseppe De Luca — (D. Berardi, M. Sau)

World Team of the Year: M. Neuer, P. Lahm, M. Hummels, S. Mustafi, D. Alaba, P. Pogba, A. Correa, L. Suarez, Oscar, C. Ronaldo, L. Messi, S. Sirigu, E. Can, R. Sterling, Neymar, M. Gotze, S. Ramos, R. Lewandowski

—–

Obviously, there have been a lot of repeat champions in the domestic leagues, but one thing of note outside of the international competitions that were held this year was that Lionel Messi finally relaxed his stranglehold on the Ballon D’Or, not that he was any slouch in still taking home the World Golden Ball and the Best Player in Europe along with his customary place in the World Team of the Year.

The United States had won the last Gold Cup, but Jamaica has really come on to dethrone them…and Nigeria has really come good as that is their second straight African Cup of Nations!

I always do the updates just after the January window starts of the next season, so hopefully the next time I see you fine folks we’ll be doing the dance of joy in the Promised Land known as The Greatest League on Earth (The Barclay’s Premier League.) As of this writing Stevenage are four points clear in first place, and we’ve also had an amazing Capital One Cup run as we are currently in the Semifinal where we will face Swansea — and we have also already met expectations as we just knocked off Bournemouth to advance to the Fourth Round of the FA Cup.

Much to hopefully win, and now we must get back to it. Thanks as always for following American Werewolf Football! :)

Anyone making any progress this weekend? I am tied up at too much work unfortunately.

Ive been playing it on and off.

Managed to "Complete" the Club side of things.

Won 10/10 domestic leagues, cups and got the Asian Champions league to make it 5/5.

Also won the Copa America with Brazil.

So, ive got 3 more cups to go (North America, Asia, Africa) and ive also got to win the Italian League still.

Would have been finished early september if id carried on playing xD

Cruz Azul Season Review 2023/2024

1878.png

Mini Review

Took over as manager of Cruz Azul halfway through the Mexican season, they were struggling in 10th position of the Closing Season and rather fortuitously still in the North American CL at the quarter final stages. The Mexican league setup seems rather bizarre but whatever, it seems like a fun league, long story short managed to battle my way through the Closing Season to qualify for the playoff structure, eventually succuming to America (MEX) 6-5 on agg in the semi finals.

Amazingly we took home the NA CL at the first attempt.

I feel kind of conflicted about this result, the team were already in the QF of the competition when I took over, but hey I ended up taking the reigns and winning the next three to take the title, so I feel as though I more than played my part in winning!

2014/15   Jomo Cosmos         1st                South African National First Division
2015/16   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2016/17   Ajax CT             5th                South African Premier Soccer League
2017/18   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2018/19   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League
2019/20   Ajax CT             1st                South African Premier Soccer League                     African Champions League Winners
2020/21   Beijing             1st                Chinese Super League
2021/22   Beijing             1st                Chinese Super League                                    Asian Champions League Winners
2022/23   Atlético Mineiro    2nd                Brazilian National First Division                       Copa Libertadores Winners
2023/24   Cruz Azul           6th                Mexican First Division Closing                          NACL Winners

Challenge Progress

Club
2/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa, China)
2/10 domestic cups (South Africa, China)
4/5 club continental championships (Africa, Asia, North America South America)
0/1 club world championship

International
0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/2 world tournaments ()

With this success I feel like Europe is now calling, happy with securing the 4/5 continental championships, definately need to step my game up and win some bloody leagues and cups!

Anyone making any progress this weekend? I am tied up at too much work unfortunately.

I am, actually... I will finally have a chance to secure my first achievement within my next month of in-game time, as I've advanced with Stevenage to the Capital One Cup Final. :) I don't know how enthusiastic I can really be, as I'm facing Jurgen Klopp's Chelsea, and they've been probably one of the best sides in the world, under Klopp's tutelage, in my save in January of 2020.

Still, for a Championship side, whose only expectations for the competition were the Third Round, a Final is great progress for my club, in my humble opinion! I'm also still leading the Championship by 3 points with a game in hand on Reading in second position. Our goal differential after 27 games is +36, and theirs is +17 in 28 games -- so we're definitely in the drivers seat, we just need to handle our business.

Sorry you're stuck working, Earl, your updates are some of the ones I look forward to the most!

(EDIT: Klopp got to Chelsea on 7/23/16, and since then they have won two Premier Leagues, the FA Cup, the Capital One Cup, the Club World Cup, the UEFA Super Cup, and three Community Shields. I want to say they've also appeared in two Champions League finals, but I don't want to dig at the moment as they haven't won it under Klopp.)

I'm playing a bit more than usual with the aim of finishing my season in the next couple of days (hopefully in glory) and then have a period of detox before the new game comes out. I do intend to carry on with the challenge on FM15, but I'd like to tinker with the new version, and maybe find any potential challenge-killing bugs.

On the one hand, I may get into the new version. On the other, I may never get the chance, as even though I have been able to purchase the new game via Steam in China, (unlike past versions) I wouldn't be surprised if there's some block put in our way.

As I'm quite happy to continue with my present save, I don't have too much invested in it. I'm just embracing the uncertainty of the cosmos.

Season 2018 - Corinthians

I decided to stay at Corinthians for at least one more season to allow my reputation to build a bit before trying to make the move to Europe.

The season started with the South American Recopa against Sport Recife. We lost the first leg away 0-1. The second leg was won 4-2 to provide a 4-3 aggregate win.

The São Paulo State Championship league stage was again a simple procession to finishing top even though I wasn't all that bothered with it. This time I was ready for the play offs where we despatched Guarani 2-0, Palmeiras 3-2 and met São Paulo in the final.

The first leg was sandwiched between the two legs of the Copa Libertadores final and we lost 0-1 as we prioritised the Libertadores. The second leg was a comfortable 3-0 win to crown us rightly São Paulo State Champions.

The Copa Libertadores group stage was negotiated with 100% win record with Independiente coming second. The second round saw us face La Equidad with 3-2 away and 2-0 home wins. The quarter final against Internacional was comfortably dealt with 3-0 away and at home 1-1.

The semi final against rivals Flamengo was a close battle with the away leg being a 3-3 draw to bring them back to our place for 3-2 win. The final saw us yet again face Santos Laguna!! And just like last year we loose the first leg 1-3. The return leg at home was more comfortable 5-0 victory to claim back to back Libertadores titles.

The Brazilian Cup route to the final went through Fortaleza (5-0 agg), Cruzeiro (7-2 agg), Vasco (5-3 agg). The final saw us face Flamengo for the 5th and 6th time this season. 2-1 and 3-2 wins saw us win 5-3 on aggregate to claim back to back domestic cups for the first time in its history.

The regular league was almost the same as last season, except we added an extra draw and defeat to the mix, but still ran out comfortable winners. Towards the end I'd taken to holidaying past games to speed it up a bit so I think I'll call time on my stay in Brazil at the end of the year.

The Club World Cup saw us again face Mexican opposition in the semi final in the guise if Tigres. They took the lead and until very late on it looked as if we were going out until a late flurry of goals resulted in an undeserved 4-1 win.

The final this year was against less glamourous opponents than last year as we faced Englands 2nd team...Liverpool :D. I was expecting a tough game, even from the 2nd team, and the scoreline of 4-3 would suggest that. We were 4-0 up on the 77th min when they got a consolation goal. The dubious referee gave them a penalty on 81st min AND another one on 87th min :mad: fortunately time ran out before they could be given another helping hand and we did another first of back to back CWC wins.

Challenge Progress

Club

2/10 top domestic leagues (USA, BRAx2)

2/10 domestic cups (USA, BRAx2)

2/5 club continental championships (NACL, LIBx2)

1/1 club world championship (Corinthiansx2)

International

0/2 world tournaments

Seasons:

CLUB CAREER
			Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont.	CWC	Other & Notes
2015	USA	Seattle		Won		Won				MLS Cup, US Cup, Supporters Shield
2015/16	MEX	Querétaro	3rd				Won		NACL
2016	BRA	Corinthians	2nd						Final 3 league games
2017	BRA	Corinthians	1st		Won		Won	Won	League, Cup, Libertadores, CWC
2018	BRA	Corinthians	1st		Won		Won	Won	League, Cup, Libertadores, CWC, State Championship

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
	Rank		Cups
Year	Nation	FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes

Can anybody explain to me, when letsgetreadyto wrote in the rules

You MAY have attribute masking on, as I don't like the scouting system as it can be impossible to find players. Just this once though
what was he talking about? Do you think he meant he mean we can turn attribute masking OFF? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

If so, would you agree with me that, hell, no, you can't turn flaming attribute masking off? Did any of you do that?

Additionally, do any of you have rules clarifications that you wish to add?

I just presumed he meant that you could choose if you wanted it on or off. I've got the attribute masking ON so I need to scout around for players and stuff. It's also the standard for a "challenge".

It says no additional languages, but what about 2nd nationalities? I've set my avatar as Peruvian/Brazilian so would this disqualify?

Do you need to start in a country that has a different primary language to the one your manager has? So for example an English manager couldn't start in Australia or USA?

- quote: But, your family uproots you to (Insert Country You Get Here) and your life is upside down!

Well, I think the whole 'story' about being uprooted should disappear if we re-launch the thread, (and I still think that a new thread is the consensus compromise).

I don't think we can 'clarify' that you would need to start in a country that is different from your nationality, because that might retrospectively disqualify people. My first language is English, and it seems as far as the game is concerned, that is the first language of South Africa, which is where I started. My manager certainly never picked up a whiff of Afrikaans in all his time there.

I'd suggest that any nationality and any starting point is allowed. I can understand if people want there to be only one nationality allowed, but I have two nationalities, and that was reflected in my manager when I started the game, so I wouldn't exactly want to disqualify myself. That would mean that people could give themselves two nationalities with 2 different languages, which sidesteps the no additional languages rule, but c'est la life.

I'm going for attribute masking being a must, unless somebody comes forward and proclaims that they disabled it (and looking at the context, it is pretty clear that LGRT made a typo, and intended for people to be allowed to disable it. In fact presumably the one person that will be retrospectively disqualified will be LGRT).

On the other hand we are being pretty laid back about pretty much everything, so if people think attribute masking should be left to the (I want to say conscience) judgement of the challenger, then let me know.

Are we going to allow people to manage a club they've created? (I don't see any reason why not, but I haven't been studying the new features a lot).

I hate opening up any of these cans of worms, because I prefer using this thread to discuss the actual game, rather than it being some kind of constitutional seminar, but the advantage of a new thread will be to nail these issues down now.

These are my proposed 'tidying-up' of the rules.

The Rules:

Start Unemployed (and remain unemployed as long as you like)

Sunday League Reputation

No Coaching Badges

Stats must start in the middle and not be adjusted.

Your manager must be 20 years old at the start of the game

No additional languages

Any nationality or second nationality

No disabling attribute masking

No use of in-game editor for anything other than cosmetic changes (e.g. team strips).

All other advanced options (e.g. adding players to playable teams) are allowed

Any version of FM from Football Manager 2015 onwards is allowed, (Classic, Full Fat, Touch, Mobile)

You can start with any number of nations loaded, any database size, any start date

You cannot use any customised databases, for instance to add playable nations or divisions

Well, I think the whole 'story' about being uprooted should disappear if we re-launch the thread, (and I still think that a new thread is the consensus compromise).

I'll agree with that, part what makes this challenge fun in the freedom to choose your path.

I don't think we can 'clarify' that you would need to start in a country that is different from your nationality, because that might retrospectively disqualify people. My first language is English, and it seems as far as the game is concerned, that is the first language of South Africa, which is where I started. My manager certainly never picked up a whiff of Afrikaans in all his time there.

I'd suggest that any nationality and any starting point is allowed. I can understand if people want there to be only one nationality allowed, but I have two nationalities, and that was reflected in my manager when I started the game, so I wouldn't exactly want to disqualify myself. That would mean that people could give themselves two nationalities with 2 different languages, which sidesteps the no additional languages rule, but c'est la life.

Should we remove the languages rule then? I know a little French/Italian/Portugese as well as Engish. Does it make that much of a difference?

I'm going for attribute masking being a must.

I'd prefer it to a must too, but easy either way.

Are we going to allow people to manage a club they've created?

I'd say no, as we wouldn't know what the club has been set-up like. Similar to adding a created league I'd say keep the database un-edited as far as leagues/competitions/clubs/players (other than the naming of such).

Minor career update:

On the 1st Jan 2019 I resigned as manager of Corinthians. I'm still looking for a club side to manage but have just taken my first steps in International management and been appointed the manager of Ghana.

Just seen your update :thup: looks good.

I think the rule should be if you can speak it in real life fluently, you can have the language. Be aware, though -- any American manager starts with both American and Spanish. (I thought this was a *tad* racist of the devs, but hey...) ;)

I'd say any starting point is fine, but people should be required to use their real nationalities. Obviously, if you have two, you get two. :) I don't think as an American manager I should be able to gain an early advantage by making myself English or German, etc... and I think the languages should be any language you PERSONALLY are fluent in -- but that will be something that we do "on your honor" as anyone could fake a test by using Google Translate.

I'm going for attribute masking being a must, unless somebody comes forward and proclaims that they disabled it (and looking at the context, it is pretty clear that LGRT made a typo, and intended for people to be allowed to disable it. In fact presumably the one person that will be retrospectively disqualified will be LGRT).

I agree with you, and I doubt anyone turned it off, either -- I know I wouldn't. I find it essential. I do believe, outside of Brettney, that if someone had it turned off I would probably call them a girl... :)

Are we going to allow people to manage a club they've created? (I don't see any reason why not, but I haven't been studying the new features a lot).

I'd say yes, IF we can figure out quality limits for the club and they can be verified with a simple screenshot. We'd just need to put our heads together and make sure the integrity of the challenge couldn't be "gamed" by the new feature. Honestly, I don't think anyone will be too keen on it anyway... you put all that time into creating a club just to have to leave after 2-3 trophies? Seems a waste of time in a journeyman challenge to me, but obviously you have the final call and I think we need more information than is presently available before a real discussion could be put forth on that one.

One thing I think we COULD do to allow a little bit of manager customization is to allow the initial starting attributes to be switched to the way you want them, as obviously there is so little points in the beginning and it would give people a little more freedom in what type of manager they want to be -- but that's just a personal thought and I'm obviously totally fine with it starting dead middle, as well.

Just trying to provide some candor since we're getting so close. You know I'll be here to assist you in anything you may need, Vikeologist. :)

I see my little question in the weekend sparked a lot of activity here. I mostly agree to what is said, especially with language/nationality. I didnt feel that my english nationality and language hampered me in any way at the start of the challenge getting jobs at Ivory Coast, Wolfsburg and Internacional. Reputation is far more important so I see it more as cosmetic changes.

When it comes to new thread no new thread and so on, I am not going to comment/argue any more of that as its clear what my suggestions was in the past.

Hope everyone who played in the weekend enjoyd their save game. I managed to make some progress, but as today is my birthday I dont think I will have time to write about my progress, but hopefully soon (tuesday or wednesday).

Happy Birthday, Lord Ultimate.

ce.gifbanana.gifdancemj.gifcandyraver.gifce.gif

Thanks mate.

Its really funny that my last name is actually Jarl (In norwegian/swedish/danish its directly translates to Earl), but my family is really a workers family, no nobility at all :p hehe

I have posted a bug in bugs forum. Whenever you manage Brazil in the season after World Cup, you are not allowed to schedule any friendlies. How will my Brazil team do in Copa America with no friendlies to familiarize the team with my tactics. Because YES I got Brazil again so many years after my last failure with them in Copa America.

I'm managing Brazil as well, and I can't schedule any friendlies either. I figured it was just something hard-coded, like Brazil don't do friendlies. I'm not that bothered. I knew that I had 18 world cup qualifiers coming up but of course I did take them over after the world cup, so yeah, that's why we didn't win the Copa America. I'm glad it wasn't my fault. (It was my fault. As discussed I've subsequently changed tactics to a striker-free formation).

I'm managing Brazil as well, and I can't schedule any friendlies either. I figured it was just something hard-coded, like Brazil don't do friendlies. I'm not that bothered. I knew that I had 18 world cup qualifiers coming up but of course I did take them over after the world cup, so yeah, that's why we didn't win the Copa America. I'm glad it wasn't my fault. (It was my fault. As discussed I've subsequently changed tactics to a striker-free formation).

Well its now officially reported as a bug as Brazil plays friendlies too. (They used to play a lot of friendlies at Emirates for those who remember that.)

We'll just have to see if I can win Copa America this time, if not I will be sacked again for sure. Lots of good players though.

Archived