Female Managers

As far as physios, chairwomen and directors go, they don't deal with football as a game, so the fact they are women is of no relevance, in fact, the fact there are women involved in other areas of football only helps to substantiate my point further. Directors need not have an intricate understanding of Men's football - they need an intricate understanding of how to run a business - something sex does not affect - a physio needs not know a thing about football - only about injuries and how to rehabilitate.

Oh yeah? Then tell me how many women would have been considered as ever getting to hold such positions in Men's football 20, 30, 40 or so years ago (noticed you omitted 'coaches' from your reply)? Or even refereeing a game?

It's only the manager's job in Men's (with a capital as you like it) football that women haven't managed to get a hold of yet. Time is on their side!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are implying Woman don't know anything about football. Because thats how that sounds? You say sex doesn't affect knowledge of how to run a business or treat injury, does it affect knowledge of football?

I am saying a lack of exposure to competitive level men's football prevents ANYBODY from becoming a football manager at a professional club. It is why you or I are not qualified to manage a football club - and would be terrible if we did - and it's why women are.

Oh yeah? Then tell me how many women would have been considered as ever getting to hold such positions in Men's football 20, 30, 40 or so years ago (noticed you omitted 'coaches' from your reply)? Or even refereeing a game?

It's only the manager's job in Men's (with a capital as you like it) football that women haven't managed to get a hold of yet. Time is on their side!

Firstly, I'm not aware that there are (m)any female coaches, certainly not at a high level anyway. Can you name me one please?

Refereeing a game simply requires a vast knowledge of the rules and workings of the game, it does not require a male referee to have played the game, ergo a woman can do as equally good a job.

Women wouldn't have got a job as a CEO at any company 40 years ago, or if they did it was extremely rare, that's why they didn't get it in football either - obviously women's introduction into boardroom level football has been slower than other industries because female interest in football is much lower than other industries.

How many female refs, ref assistants, physios, directors were there in the 1950's? None

How many female refs, ref assistants, physios, directors are there now? A few and slowly rising

Attitudes are very, very slowly changing. With these changes in attitude it gives woman experience in the mens professional game as backroom staff and officials. Through experience they can rise to a higher level like Mouriniho did from his very humble playing roots. It was just the fact that he was talented as a manager AND a man that he got more breaks than an equally good woman with the same skills.

This has been like banging my head against a brick wall built by Mike Newell, so I will end here :D

How many female refs, ref assistants, physios, directors were there in the 1950's? None

How many female refs, ref assistants, physios, directors are there now? A few and slowly rising

That is because those jobs can all be done by someone who's never kicked a ball in their life - it has nothing to do with women breaking down any boundries other than sexism - just like they have done in countless other industries. How many female doctors/surgeons/CEOs were there in the 50s?

Becoming a coach/manager requires COMPLETELY different skills/experiences to the other jobs you've mentioned, if you can't see the difference you're obviously an idiot.

Those who don't care haven't even clicked on this thread!

Sorry, but... what's the point of your post?

my point of my post is that people who are saying female managers in the game are unrealistic and stupid really shouldnt be worried about that at all. Surely you have better things to worry about than seeing a female manager in the game. It could happen irl. Maybe a former international womens football became a manager of a lower league team or pub team in the next couple of years. Would people still be crying about it then??

Come on people... IF having women managers in the game is a problem (it really wont effect the game at all) then dont bother playing the game. Sure its a bit unrealistic (at the moment) but you never know what will happen in the future and FM09 could be predicting what is to come

Come on people... IF having women managers in the game is a problem (it really wont effect the game at all) then dont bother playing the game. Sure its a bit unrealistic (at the moment) but you never know what will happen in the future and FM09 could be predicting what is to come

Stop playing the game because a women is in it? Dont be ridiculous.

Its unrealistic to have a women manager in the game so regen managers shouldn't be female. The FM predicting the future is a terrible excuse too. If FM 09 introduced aliens playing football I'm sure you'd agree there is no place in the game for it... but it could just be predicting the future.

Stop playing the game because a women is in it? Dont be ridiculous.

Its unrealistic to have a women manager in the game so regen managers shouldn't be female. The FM predicting the future is a terrible excuse too. If FM 09 introduced aliens playing football I'm sure you'd agree there is no place in the game for it... but it could just be predicting the future.

do you actually know there is going to be regen female managers though? it could just be while creating a manager

Firstly, I'm not aware that there are (m)any female coaches, certainly not at a high level anyway. Can you name me one please?

Refereeing a game simply requires a vast knowledge of the rules and workings of the game, it does not require a male referee to have played the game, ergo a woman can do as equally good a job.

Women wouldn't have got a job as a CEO at any company 40 years ago, or if they did it was extremely rare, that's why they didn't get it in football either - obviously women's introduction into boardroom level football has been slower than other industries because female interest in football is much lower than other industries.

As to your first point - I'm not going to do your research! I name Google as your friend!

As to your second point, substitute 'refereeing' with 'managing' and you'll find that it still holds true, both as fact and conclusion.

And on your third point, sorry but... what's your point? Are you saying that female interest in football is not greater now than what it used to be or are you saying that female interest in football is still now lesser than their interest in other industries (and if you're saying the second then couldn't the first stand true as well)? Do you often compare apples with pears?

There's a reason football is promoting 'respect' and 'kick it out' slogans, y'know!

As to your first point - I'm not going to do your research! I name Google as your friend!

As to your second point, substitute 'refereeing' with 'managing' and you'll find that it still holds true, both as fact and conclusion.

And on your third point, sorry but... what's your point? Are you saying that female interest in football is not greater now than what it used to be or are you saying that female interest in football is still now lesser than their interest in other industries (and if you're saying the second then couldn't the first stand true as well)? Do you often compare apples with pears?

There's a reason football is promoting 'respect' and 'kick it out' slogans, y'know!

It wouldn't be doing my research for me, it would be backing up your unsubstantiated claims that there are female coaches working within the male game - I've never come across them and doubt you actually know of any.

No, managing does not simply require a knowledge of the rules of the game, it requires so much more than that, it requires an in depth knowledge of training techniques, man-management, tactical frameworks, etc. etc. Somebody who has never played football could learn to be a referee, they couldn't learn to be a manager.

My point was that female interest in football is very small, and certainly not as developed in most females as it is in males, that's why women aren't moving into club's boardrooms as quickly as they are into boardrooms in other industries. Becoming a football chairman requires a passion for the game, and this is indisputably far more prevalent amongst men than women.

No, we don't we are simple debating whether or not they should be, is this too difficult to understand?

yeh i know. I just find it amazing how some people are getting really wound up about something that wont matter very much at all. Surely SI being politically correct is a good thing

yeh i know. I just find it amazing how some people are getting really wound up about something that wont matter very much at all. Surely SI being politically correct is a good thing

I have no issue with enabling female users to change the text of the game so they are dealt with as females - it has no effect on my playing of the game.

I don't think anyone is getting wound up, apart from those arguing about real life football, of course ;)

my point of my post is that people who are saying female managers in the game are unrealistic and stupid really shouldnt be worried about that at all. Surely you have better things to worry about than seeing a female manager in the game. It could happen irl. Maybe a former international womens football became a manager of a lower league team or pub team in the next couple of years. Would people still be crying about it then??

I apologise! Sorry for challenging you and thank you for your reply!

-----------------

Anyway, I've said all I have to say on the subject and I've got nothing more to add.

This has been entertaining indeed!

It wouldn't be doing my research for me, it would be backing up your unsubstantiated claims that there are female coaches working within the male game - I've never come across them and doubt you actually know of any.

No, managing does not simply require a knowledge of the rules of the game, it requires so much more than that, it requires an in depth knowledge of training techniques, man-management, tactical frameworks, etc. etc. Somebody who has never played football could learn to be a referee, they couldn't learn to be a manager.

My point was that female interest in football is very small, and certainly not as developed in most females as it is in males, that's why women aren't moving into club's boardrooms as quickly as they are into boardrooms in other industries. Becoming a football chairman requires a passion for the game, and this is indisputably far more prevalent amongst men than women.

Ok then, one last try! :p

Research. It is fairly obvious to me that you have a very narrow view of what you call Men's football. I'm challenging that by saying that there are women coaches that manage men and a simple search on Google will come up with that fact. Try 'grass roots' in your search! ;)

As you say, managing requires much more than just knowing the rules of the game and I agree with you on that, but everything else that you mention there is still theory and women are more than capable of learning and acheiving in that aspect as well. Not all managers played football before becoming managers, so obviously playing the game is not required. Are you doubting that or do you need names of managers that never played football but were good at managing? Shall I do the research on that for you too?

Female interest in football is very small but certainly larger than what it was (say however many years ago you want). Women moving into clubs boardrooms is happening more often now than what it used to happen, no doubt about it... but still not as favoured an option as moving into other industries. That is only because of people like you! Not because of a lack of passion to the game.

I hope you appreciate my last engagement to the conversation and have a good night! :)

lemme get this straight... you want a REALISTIC game, that lets some numpty off the street take charge of any club in the world he likes, but only if its a bloke that wants to? if its a gal that wants to, she can bugger off back to the kitchen, basically???

You certainly don't need to have played football at a high level to become a manager. You possibly don't need to play football at all to be a manager although that it would be rare that a club would accept you as their manager. Anyway women can play women's football so I don't see the relevance of that point.

Also I think you mentioned about they need to command respect of the players. Surely a referee needs to do that as well and there are female referees.

Having said that, female newgen managers should not be in FM09 as they are currently not in real life. It possibly will happen sometime in the future but has not at the moment. I also don't think this will be in the game. There is an option to allow the user to be referred to as she/her but nothing about female newgen managers.

Sorry for going off topic, but this reminds me of The Anchorman:

"Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies. I mean they rev my engines, but they don't belong in the newsroom."

"It is anchor*man*, not anchor*lady*. And that is a scientific fact."

"I don't know what we're yelling about."

"Right lads, hit the showers".

Although unrealistic in the REAL football world, there are a good few female players playing FM, so it's just fair that they get the option to be themselves. You never know, there could be a few romances formed on FMLive.

yeah its a cool idea for the girls, must be annoying seeing your name come up with "he" and "his" all the time lol

but i don't wanna see a regenned girl manager taking Man U to champions league glory etc. it'd be ridiculous

Yeah it sucks at the moment, I have to make up a male character otherwise all immersion for me is lost. And I wouldn't want to have regen female managers either, it's rare enough that I would be managing a team in the FM world, let alone several others all of a sudden.

Yeah it sucks at the moment, I have to make up a male character otherwise all immersion for me is lost. And I wouldn't want to have regen female managers either, it's rare enough that I would be managing a team in the FM world, let alone several others all of a sudden.

There seems to be several complaints about this feature at the moment as most people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that there will be regen female managers in the game but I don't see this happening. The option to be male/female at the start of the game was certainly a good addition. It is important to cater for everyone that plays the game.

Its also to allow staff to be female, as they sometimes are. Whether those get genned or not who knows, but there is a small % of female physios, coaches, etc. even in the current db, only they couldn't be shown as female in text until now.

I've been wanting this option for ages, but I wouldn't want female regens. Even as a female, I feel it would ruin the balance and realism of the gameworld, as opposed to me managing a team is unrealistic anyway, whether I'm female or male - we as the FM player are the exception. Everything else should be as it is in real life.

The issue here is if there will be any female regen manager but one question. In any of the previous editions of the game has anybody ever seen a regen manager do they not just tend to be retired players?

If i'm right there is no issue as there is no such thing as regen managers anyway.

Of all the features people can discuss and debate over we have 2???? threads on female managers.??

i think its a big issue since the game would be so stupid and detract from the realism (which is what makes FM great) if it had female managers in it, just for some naive idea of being "politically correct"

the option for a player to be a girl is cool for the girls, but thats as far as it should go

and the reason its an issue is because there hasnt been any clarification yet

i think its a big issue since the game would be so stupid and detract from the realism (which is what makes FM great) if it had female managers in it, just for some naive idea of being "politically correct"

the option for a player to be a girl is cool for the girls, but thats as far as it should go

and the reason its an issue is because there hasnt been any clarification yet

I think that is what nots meant when he said politically correct. A male should be called he/him and a female she/her.

I've been wanting this option for ages, but I wouldn't want female regens. Even as a female, I feel it would ruin the balance and realism of the gameworld, as opposed to me managing a team is unrealistic anyway, whether I'm female or male - we as the FM player are the exception. Everything else should be as it is in real life.

Maybe not female managers, but there should female newgen physios as there is a decent amount of female physios in real life.

Archived