Quarter Finals - France vs Germany (17:00 BST) & Brazil vs Colombia (21:00 BST)

gillsminnow

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I said elsewhere, Brazil to grind their way to a sixth championship. And even decades from now, we'll look back and say "how the eff did that happen?"

In the future people will just say that this Brazil played beautiful football and will complain about the Brazil from their own time.

Are people seriously blaming this injury on Zúñiga?

Yes, as if this kind of thing wasn't a 'game thing'.

Both teams were fairly violent, if anyone is to blame, it's the referee for losing control of the game.

Didn't look like he put his knee into his back on purpose. Unfortunate if he got an injury of course. Brazil were the worst of the two when it came to fouls though, and I was amazed at all the ref let pass, while small stuff was blown for in favour for Brazil. It must have been really frustrating to be Colombian out there.

Neymar didn't really do anything today though, and Brazil still won, and I don't think they're as reliant on Neymar as is being made out. These things usually get played up a lot in the media so they can create their heroes, but in reality there are 11 players out there and they all fight hard and are important to the team's success. I suspect Brazil may miss Thiago Silva more than Neymar, if he misses the game.

How did Fernandinho not get a yellow card, though? Must have fouled about 10 times. Looked like Hamez got clattered every time he had the ball.

Neymar didn't really do anything today though, and Brazil still won

Look how they won though - a corner kick that had some of the worst setpiece defending you'll ever see and a worldly from Luiz, also a setpiece, and also something he doesn't pull off often (for every 1 he scores he squanders 99 :D).

Neymar was ineffectual and Brazil were awful going forward, they didn't create anything of note in the second half I don't think, so what hope do they have without Neymar for the next 1, maybe 2, game(s)?

Neymar was on the ground controlling the ball. Zuniga came full speed and jumped with his knee high and had no chance of getting to the ball.. IMO, it really looks like it's on purpose. Nobody wants to fracture another person's vertebrae, but he did want to hit Neymar on the back.

Look how they won though - a corner kick that had some of the worst setpiece defending you'll ever see and a worldly from Luiz, also a setpiece, and also something he doesn't pull off often (for every 1 he scores he squanders 99 :D).

Neymar was ineffectual and Brazil were awful going forward, they didn't create anything of note in the second half I don't think, so what hope do they have without Neymar for the next 1, maybe 2, game(s)?

Fair enough, but watching the game it felt like Colombia were on the ropes, at least for much of the first half. Could easily have been 2-0 at any moment there, and their keeper kept them in the game.

You would think that Germany should beat Brazil without Thiago Silva and Neymar, but they do have home advantage and perhaps the ref again too, so you never know. Reckon it will be damn close in any case, perhaps going into extra time again.

Watch Brazil win 4-1 now :D

Neymar was on the ground controlling the ball. Zuniga came full speed and jumped with his knee high and had no chance of getting to the ball.. IMO, it really looks like it's on purpose. Nobody wants to fracture another person's vertebrae, but he did want to hit Neymar on the back.

More likely he wasn't worried or thinking about the risk of making a foul, I think.

Fair enough, but watching the game it felt like Colombia were on the ropes, at least for much of the first half. Could easily have been 2-0 at any moment there, and their keeper kept them in the game.

You would think that Germany should beat Brazil without Thiago Silva and Neymar, but they do have home advantage and perhaps the ref again too, so you never know. Reckon it will be damn close in any case, perhaps going into extra time again.

Watch Brazil win 4-1 now :D

You're right about the first half, certainly. I don't think that was the case in the second half, though, and I thought the game just turned into constant fouls/violence with little/few opportunities.

I think Germany will beat Brazil because Thiago Silva and Neymar are massive misses and if Germany play against Brazil as they did today v France, they should be fairly comfortable in the end. Just need to keep Lahm at RB tbh.

I'd maybe buy it if he didn't try and decapitate Hulks knee earlier, commentators here amazingly think that Fernandinhos constant niggly fouls were the worst thing ever.

Fernandinho wasnt just making niggly fouls, he was putting the hurt on James, left a couple of nasty ones in on him. If there was any player who looked like he was out to hurt somebody it was him. Feel bad for Neymar, but not for Brazil.

Things change!

I doubt this situation will improve any time soon though.

Why was Welliton of Spartak Moscow never considered for Brazil? He wants to play for Russia now it seems (if he can) but his record for Spartak was great and he could have made it. I know he had a few failed loans to Brazil, though, maybe that had an impact?

His record for Spartak was really very good though. Like 80 goals in 130 games...

Why was Welliton of Spartak Moscow never considered for Brazil? He wants to play for Russia now it seems (if he can) but his record for Spartak was great and he could have made it. I know he had a few failed loans to Brazil, though, maybe that had an impact?

His record for Spartak was really very good though. Like 80 goals in 130 games...

Because he was very unknown in Brazil and back when he was better Brazil had better options, more recently he came to Brazilian football and was awful here, so probably not calling him up was the right decision.

He probably wanted to clatter him a bit to make him lose control of the ball. I dont' know if you've noticed, but the knees tend to move a bit when you jump. Unless you have surreal ankle muscles I suppose. Don't think he went in to hurt him, just an unfortunate match incident.

This is more of a general point, but I think people sometimes are too hung up on frame by frame type analysis and drawing conclusions about diving or intent to injure or bodychecks or elbows to the face and such. Sure, sometimes these things have merit, but oftentimes it's just match incidents that happen due to the fast pace of the game.

Frames of the Zuñiga-Neymar incident:

Brv80g1CIAAX532.png:small

Clearly reckless, not deliberate, I think.

Just when I was reading this, I turned on the TV to see a mini-match replay and they had a replay of this incident and Zuniga was going full speed at the Ball, Neymar was just a war casualty

Couldn't happen to a nicer team. Hope the dutch repeat 2010

That grasshopper has seriously damaged Brazilian tourism with people saying 'they're how big over there'. James doesn't flinch. I wonder if he noticed at all, gonna look back at that footage for sure

Isn't Diego the Spainish version of James. How comes he's not Diego?

I'm disappointed with Pekerman. I understand why he keeps playing his worst striker in Barranquilla, as he's the home boy, but at the world cup...

Isn't Diego the Spainish version of James. How comes he's not Diego?

Diego or Jaime.

But they don't care.:cool:

Same with Jackson, Fredy, Edwin, Jhon, Charles, Michael etc...

The challenge on Neymar was disgusting.

I honestly think it's more a case of the outcome was bad so the challenge is seen as worse than it was. Saw a clip earlier of lots of challenges from both teams, and good lot of those look worse. The stuff with Neymar I think was more of a match incident that looks worse when people go into frame by frame analysis and stuff like that. Some of the stuff Fernandinho pulled on James for example had nothing to do with trying to win the ball.

At the end of the day it's Karma for Brazil really. Their gameplan was centred on roughin up James Rodriguez, and they've done much the same in other matches too. No coincidence there are so many fouls in their games. And now it backfired, partly because the ref couldn't stamp his authority on the game, but also partly because Brazil wanted the game to be rough.

Damn shame for Neymar and Brazil though. Can't stand the guy really, with all this diving and playacting, but hopefully he makes a full recovery. Sounds like it was a "minor" vertebrae injury, so hopefully that is correct, as back injuries can be nasty as hell.

Archived