Player on a hat-trick taking penalties

I've put this in the suggestion thread numerous times but I've yet to receive any feedback. Why is this feature in the game? Why do we have no control over who takes the penalty?

I'm drawing 2-2 at home to Sampdoria with ten mins to go, Poli has 2 goals for me, and we win a penalty. Poli obviously misses. It's stupid, if this happened irl, Balotelli would take it.

Can this nonsense feature either be removed or modified?

It's not coded to be 100% of the time as far as I knew.

I can understand for some players, maybe ones with stats that are against the team etc doing it, but a captain with low penalty taking stepping up on a hattrick unlikely.

Hidden stats should play a part as well.

Personally think it should be in there as I have seen players step up against the Managers wishes to take penalties when on a hattrick in real life. (Hell I've seen it when he's not on a hattrick)

But if in game it should be decided if he is going to do it based on some calculation of his mental attributes including hidden ones. (won a game 2-0 recently, hattrick penalty attempted by my centre back, was annoyed he missed, but probably at 2-0 would've told him to have a go)

Well if a player on a hat-trick did take a penalty against my wishes I'd want to opportunity to criticise him. As it stands I can don't anything but hope that my player gets his hat trick.

I find it bizarre that on a game where you can micro manage so much, this feature still remains.

But if in game it should be decided if he is going to do it based on some calculation of his mental attributes including hidden ones. (won a game 2-0 recently, hattrick penalty attempted by my centre back, was annoyed he missed, but probably at 2-0 would've told him to have a go)

This is what happens. However, just like IRL, most players on a hat-trick will take the penalty.

Well if a player on a hat-trick did take a penalty against my wishes I'd want to opportunity to criticise him. As it stands I can don't anything but hope that my player gets his hat trick.

I find it bizarre that on a game where you can micro manage so much, this feature still remains.

Agree with the option to criticise him, no doubt should be in there. But think this feature should stay, just needs a tweak.

I actually want to see the numbers in real life (Opta Stat anyone?) How often players with 2 goals scored in a game step up for a penalty, vs how many let the normal taker step up.

I do & Dont agree with OP.

I think its nice the game picks up on this, IRL it happens. Player is on 2 goals, isn't the usual taker but is allowed to, to take home the match ball.

However, where I agree with the OP, is sometimes like his example of 2-2 it isn't the best time to gift a non regular penalty taker the penalty.

Works both ways. Wonder if anything can be done.

I remember this being brought up when it first made it into the game, I think for FM12?

Anyway I really disliked it, I made a post how my defender had gotten both our goals and then we got a penalty, the score was 2-2 and he duly missed.

If it was possible to program the game to only allow this to happen when a team is maybe 4 or 5 up then fair enough, although these days especially in the higher leagues they would still not allow the person on a hattrick to take the penalty, the norm is regardless of the score the teams penalty taker would still take the penalty.

I'm sorry, but if my defender scores 2 headers and the result is 2-2, and I have a penalty and instead of my WC striker this defender steps up to take the penalty even though he is **** penalty taker..it is really stupid and unrealistic.

Well irl I guess a manager would specifically state before matches that only designated players would take penalties (if that's what he wanted) so default should be as it is but we should have the option to change that?

The problem with this is that there are too many variables. The scoreline, level of opposition, importance of match, ability of players to take a penalty, attitude of players, etc. will all play a part in whether a guy on a hattrick takes the penalty or not.

This is obviously going to make it hard to code to please everybody, so for the game I think it would be much simpler for the game to automatically pause and you get to choose who takes the penalty - for every penalty.

I know this solution could be deemed "unrealistic" but at least it will cause a lot less frustration in the long run. Perhaps this could be optional in the tactics? Either the manager gets to choose, or let the players on the pitch decide?

Not that i'd want it in the game but if were talking realism, in real life players sometimes ignore the manager and the specified penalty taker and snatch the ball. AKA Norwich VS Villa recently....Robert Snodgrass whose likely never taken a pen in training snatched the ball away, missed and then got slaughtered for it with the manager saying he wasnt the pen taker and that sort of issue wont happen again.

Would be handy for it to only happen if there is a two goal advantage or something.

Hmmm interesting, I honestly think there is enough want from the community to introduce something like this or if not maybe just through your team tactics pre match saying only designated players to take penalties etc

Would anyone NOT vote for designated takers only?

I once had a DC get a hattrick with a penalty. Even though we were 3-0 up I would still have insisted my striker take it.

IRL this almost never happens but it's quite common in the game. In theory it's a nice little feature, in practice very unrealistic.

This has been raised couple of times in past couple of years. As I already suggested before, the solution is very simple. When it comes to this situation we need a pop-up window asking us if we want to our regular PK taker to take it or the player who is on a hat trick.

Then of course, SI can code it so that it raises/drops morale of regular taker/a player who is on a hat trick.

Found pens very annoying on FM13 anyway, missing more often than not even with exceptional penalty taking stats.

More to the point though I agree with the last few comments, especially fabio MVP's suggestion.

Could something similar to this not be done....when a player goes down injured and your forced to the tactics screen...if you try to continue out of that screen a message pops up saying "your assistant reminds you a player is down injured" etc....could something similar not be done saying "player x is on 2 goals and has stated he would like to take the penalty" then you ultimately make the choice yes/no with no ensuring the reg pen taker in your list of takers takes it?

In real life this does happen (despite someone above saying it doesnt)...only issue being it does not happen alot, but usually on the odd occassion someone is on 2 goals and his team gets a pen, hes allowed to take it, as long as the score isn't super tight etc....

You wouldn't even nee a pop-up, I would say. All you would need is a simple feature in the set-piece takers that includes 'Player on hat trick' and you could not include them in your takers list at all, have them #1 priority or possibly have them a few below your regular, so if they were playing it would still be them, but if not then the man going for glory gets his chance. I agree a pop-up would be ideal but it seems like quite a complex feature for something happening so rarely. I would have thought the tactics option is easier to code...?

I know what people say about there being a lot of variables but i have selected who my penalty taker is so there should be no variables at all. I can only assume that it is programmed into the game that a player on a hat trick must take a penalty so surely this should just be removed until it can be implemented properly?

It's nice that this feature is in the game, and it'd be a shame if it was taken out completely. Perhaps the game could take into account some of the players mental attributes (bravery, composure etc) before deciding if he insists on taking it.

So the timid centre back with a penalty rating of 6 won't take it, but the dominating CDM with a penalty rating of 11 might.

A controversial, ambitious, unsporting player who has got low decisions and teamwork attributes on a hat-trick and a solid lead would possibly snatch the ball and take the penalty kick - so it would happen max once a season in any given league (or in the world, even). Other than in these exceptional circumstances, it should never happen.

Right now it is the standard outcome of a penalty given while a player on a hat-trick is still on the pitch, and that is unforgivable. I have never seen it -not- happen if it could. Given the rarity of this happening in real life, and the ME features lacking in the game that we see every match day, it is a real mystery why this feature is in the game at all.

Archived