*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will be pleased to know it's not your tactics, the ME is flawed at the moment and things like the ball having no traction on the pitch (ice rink), players standing watching the ball drift past them, goalkeepers doing kung foo kicks to save the ball and acting weird in certain situations, and players going for the ball from both sides and everyone loses out somehow and the ball just sits there until someone decides what to do and lots more will hopefully be fixed next week.:)

Yeah whats that all about, how come thay made a football game look more like a icehockey game is to me complete fail. Boll floating around and never touches the pitch makes it look like a hockey puck and not a football.

Players glide in ME, it's so annoying. If SI ever decides to develop NHL simulation they have animations ready! On a more serious note letters are microscopic, game is very hard to use on high resolution monitors.

Touche!

Hence, my saying:

I agree.

But what does "adjust their playing habits" really mean? What do they have to adjust? And SI should have already worked it out, prior to release, and leave the next months for balancing some stuff, don't you think?

There is no need to threaten me with bans, it's comical. You can do as you like, it really means nothing to me. :)

The CCC problem has always been in the ME and it's you and SI who are labeling "liberal." A liberal CCC? What on God's earth are you talking about and how the hell can you use this as an argument? If CCC doesn't mean what its ACTUAL english mean, FIX IT. Don't try to change a logical meaning just to suit an illogical design choice. By telling people that it isn't so, you don't prove anything.

Hence, my saying:

The ME isn't overly liberal. The definition of a CCC is. SI are aware and do work on it. I would agree that the CCC stat often hinders rather than helps the gamer.

and

For what it's worth, I think the current ME has fixed a good percentage of liberal CCCs.
Your words have no greater bearing than many veterans' words, so you either present proof or you are wasting valuable keyboard presses. Neither you nor PaulC have ever presented acceptable and logical proof as to why the players almost always have so many more chances than the A.I. If you had people wouldn't continue to talk about this. We are not stupid you know, stop behaving like we are.

Players have so many more chances because a huge cross section of gamers design tactics that cannot but statistically perform better than the AI. That this is the case is the result of ME holes, which is arguably impossible to ever fully fix. However, in many of these tactics, the actual chance creation is extremely one-dimensional, which the AI can cope with. In this scenario, users will always experience losing matches with a better statistical performance, because they always have a better statistical performance. The over liberal CCC stat makes them think that many of their chances are better than they actually are. It is a toxic combination, no doubt, but that is the reason for it. There is no rubber banding and no AI cheating. It is tactics and user related. Every time.

As for the tactics module, it would serve you better not to be so arrogant. Of course there are A LOT of amazingly bad design choices in the tactics module, which actually appeared since the game tried to incorporate some of your logic. I agree it was a step that was needed but after that it has become a needlesly complex beast which asks players to take some huge leaps of faith. As you have seen I have never complained that I'm not winning. In all the FMs winning has never been problem for me because a) the tactics module is really nothing special to understand and b) the A.I. is really bad. Someone must speak for the customer though and his rights. And if the answers are not coming, the questions will remain.

The TC needs some TLC. However, I'd like you to expand upon the 'amazing bad design' choices.

I have no intention of any trolling or misinformation or to undermine anything, so I'm really sorry if what I write sound so.

But if I'm talking bollocks, if so many of us are talking bollocks, you need to bring some proof. Your word alone is not good enough, sorry.

I can't give better proof than the comment I wrote above. Up to you whether you believe it.

Well i posted a thread got re-directed here. Hugely disappointed in the new match engine, it feels like 5 steps back, i know they had to redevelop it, but did they have to do it so poorly? Really does feel like fm07 or something. I play in 2D and there is so much rubbish, like the ball just gliding across the pitch, the physics of it seem terrible, just glides then gets magnetised back to someones feet, or just glides across half the pitch. Then you have defenders under no pressure heading the ball to strikers, or just players seemingly stood in the middle of the pitch doing nothing letting the ball bounce off them.

Ive enjoyed some of the changes, but this ME is such a huge letdown...

ajw... you can set your keeper to lay the ball off to one of your defenders.. its in the tactics instructions screen for the keeper, as you'd expect :)
Already done that. Doesn't work.
If only it was that easy,my keeper hardly ever plays it to a defender even though he is instructed to do so,when he does on the very rare occasion the defender plays it right back to him and then he hits it long.

Trust me it doesn't work.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/326013-Gk-Short-pass-(Defender-collect)-not-working

I agree.

But what does "adjust their playing habits" really mean? What do they have to adjust? And SI should have already worked it out, prior to release, and leave the next months for balancing some stuff, don't you think?

This is the age old problem. How do you make such a complex game innately simple to play? If you write a massive document, nobody reads it. A slimline document doesn't cover enough. Ultimately, you end up relying on the forums and the spread of knowledge through the forums. Some of this knowledge helps people learn, some of it breaks the ME. If you follow the former, you'll adjust to each and every FM with ease. If the latter, you need to adjust to every ME build, which is hugely frustrating.

I have a lot of niggles with the new ME but nothing that no one hasn't already addressed. Instead I'll pick out one of the positives. Long balls and target men seem to be a lot more effective this time around. In the last couple of versions I've avoided building teams around target men because I felt that both they and the long ball were underpowered tactics (headers themselves often felt underpowered). Instead I used to build my tactics around speed merchants who could get in behind the defence. Now I think it is viable again to make a good Stoke like team and rough up the opposition. I'm having fun doing that in the lower leagues.

There's a really loose feel to the ME at the moment. The absolutely worst thing is players seemingly having no idea where the ball is. At all. They walk over the top of it, it rolls behind them and they don't notice, they run past it, they don't move towards it at all when they're only 5 yards away and the other nearest player is 15 yards, etc. It's really frustrating to watch and makes the game feel so much more random that it probably is.

And there's patterns forming already. Doesn't seem to matter what tactics I use, how high a line I have, how hard I press/tackle, the opposition will at some point manage to pin my entire defence and midfield in the box and play square passes in front of them for ages.

There are a few bits and bobs needing a fix through but in general I am very much enjoying the new release. There seem to be a lot of changes to the previous, both in look and behind the scenes. I love the new take on training. I've never been a fan of multiple training schedules so for me it seems a more intuitive interface. The additional staff are another strong point for me. The interface seems polished, and I've noticed the players seem to have a variety of attitudes, rather than the previous complacent, confident, nervous.

Neutral so far is the match engine. On paper the changes seem exceptional. For now it seems to have a massive increase in difficulty. As a non-football fan, though, I may be playing unconventional tactics without realising it and being punished. I'll hold my vote here until I've adapted to the new system.

My biggest fault so far lies in the lack of a dark theme. I often play football manager at night and the dark colours help me get to sleep. This was mentioned regularly, though I didn't search the forum, and is easy to fix with any number of downloaded themes. Considering this is the biggest downside I have found with the game so far I have already recommended FM2013 to my friends rather than last year's now discounted model.

I think we're all going to struggle a bit with the ME until some of the obvious flaws are sorted, I'm finding a lot to like about it but analysing what I need to do isn't easy given some of the quirks that occur. :)

Players have so many more chances because a huge cross section of gamers design tactics that cannot but statistically perform better than the AI. That this is the case is the result of ME holes, which is arguably impossible to ever fully fix. However, in many of these tactics, the actual chance creation is extremely one-dimensional, which the AI can cope with. In this scenario, users will always experience losing matches with a better statistical performance, because they always have a better statistical performance. The over liberal CCC stat makes them think that many of their chances are better than they actually are. It is a toxic combination, no doubt, but that is the reason for it. There is no rubber banding and no AI cheating. It is tactics and user related. Every time.

Whilst some so called 'exploit' tactics may seem popular I'm not sure that you can dismiss us all as a huge cross-section of poor tactic makers.

I'm sure a good number of people with reasonable football knowledge make their own tactics or indeed use the creator + shouts in the manner it was designed.

I'm afraid that I consider the game to be "off" at the moment. It has a high random factor and is inconsistent. There definitely seems to be some kind of underdog boost and various divisions are upside as a result.

At this point I will say it will be nice to have a real explanation of what the tactical instructions mean. If most of the ranting comes from lack of understanding of the tactical module, that would then be very helpful.

Since the day I saw that "tempo" doesn't have anything to do with actual tempo... It's hard to make a rational formation when the instructions don't do what they are supposed to do.

There's plenty of issues with the match engine, but I don't think it's as bad as some are picturing it. And hopefully it'll get better with time.

I've ran into another thing though: playing with both club and a national team seems to be messing up with my scouting: I can only get club scout reports for the players who are not in the national team; anytime I try to scout one of my current national team members, I only get a short info in the inbox, but no actual report (except for the national report) is generated. However, if I scout the same player after removing him from the national squad, everything works fine. I don't think it's WAD, is it?

Also, the game crashes when, after appointing the new national team stuff member, I try to go to his scouting assignment (through the message in the inbox).

All in all, it's still a good game anyway :)

(Not being able to check the match statistics without going through the full highlights is awful though, I hope it'll get fixed).

Ultimately, my experience of FM players has been underpinned by the following:

During the FML Beta and release, it became apparent that the vast majority of users drifted to a certain tactical shape/design. The feeling was that you had to use that tactical shape to achieve. I proved that this was illusory by helping a number of users get to grips with the TC and shouts in such a way that they could proactively or reactively cope with any formation thrown at them, even the 'beat the ME' ones. In FM, a similar phenomenon occurs in the Tactical Download forum, where people try to design super-tactics that beat the AI no matter what it does, and in the Tactical Discussion forum, in which people talk about how to make good decisions.

At the end of every FM, an awful lot of users have drifted towards tactics that beat the ME, not ones that take on the AI. These tactics ensure statistical dominance. A side effect is losing some games via the dreaded 1 shot, 1 goal scenario. This happens because the user's team is totally reliant on the one target that scores all the goals. If that target is playing badly, the tactic has no second method of scoring. Players then get frustrated and make mistakes, allowing the AI team to score a sloppy goal.

These tactics all work because of ME holes. Every new ME will have focused on closing these holes. All of a sudden, the tactic that used to work wonders becomes a total disaster, because the one target point that was generating all the goals now isn't. Because these tactics didn't ever really need to have a coherent defensive shape, the user also finds that the AI, now on a level playing ground, is running through them at will. Rather than calmly working out why this might be happening, they rant and scream on the forums about a broken ME.

That leaves us with two issues. Firstly, we have to explain the contradictory position of, yes, the ME has issues, but, no it is not totally broken. If you are experiencing constant horrible play, it is probably tactical. We can prove this by giving some advice that we know, and some users are finding, works. Secondly, we need to write up a document that helps users cope better. I've tried that many times, and struggled to keep below 10,000 words. The last TT&F ran to 17,000. Look at the length of the explanation threads in the tactics forum. Massive. It is a problem that is not going to go away.

The TC was an attempt to solve that problem. However, the TC is not yet sophisticated enough to produce multiple kinds of football. Further, the ability to micro-manipulate sliders to break the ME hasn't gone away. Consequently, people still tend to drift towards easy to win super-tactics, meaning the problem repeats ad infinitum.

Well i posted a thread got re-directed here. Hugely disappointed in the new match engine, it feels like 5 steps back, i know they had to redevelop it, but did they have to do it so poorly? Really does feel like fm07 or something. I play in 2D and there is so much rubbish, like the ball just gliding across the pitch, the physics of it seem terrible, just glides then gets magnetised back to someones feet, or just glides across half the pitch. Then you have defenders under no pressure heading the ball to strikers, or just players seemingly stood in the middle of the pitch doing nothing letting the ball bounce off them.

Ive enjoyed some of the changes, but this ME is such a huge letdown...

I still can't fathom how they even considered letting out ME with that kind of ball physics. It's ridicilulous how the ball behaves, not like it's on the grass but like it's on solid ice. Absolutely stunning that we have to watch something like that in game. That's my biggest gripe with FM13 at the moment and I just can't see myself playing it with ball behaving like that, breaking any immersion, and simply looking stupid as hell. I thought I was buying football manager and not an NHL simulator, dear SI.

Whilst some so called 'exploit' tactics may seem popular I'm not sure that you can dismiss us all as a huge cross-section of poor tactic makers.

I'm sure a good number of people with reasonable football knowledge make their own tactics or indeed use the creator + shouts in the manner it was designed.

I'm afraid that I consider the game to be "off" at the moment. It has a high random factor and is inconsistent. There definitely seems to be some kind of underdog boost and various divisions are upside as a result.

I'm not trying to. As I keep saying, I can see issues in the ME. I'm also only really trying to damn those that cry 'worst ME ever!!!!!' as people who are using illogical tactics. from what I'm seeing, the general structure of play has improved, although there are some key issues preventing the overall experience from being what it could be.

In my own game, I'm not seeing much randomness, nor upside down tables. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that AI teams that employed Attacking strategies from the off might be struggling, which might explain things. I think there are a few issues in the ME and AI logic that might hurt such sides.

Wait.. what?

In both FM12 and FM13 I've made really fast paced teams playing with slow tempo (less than 1/4) and high time wasting (more than 3/4). They are just more "horizontal". Teams that pushed the opponent into it's defensive box and play really fast paced game confined into the last third of the field.

At the end, my experience says that it tells how "vertical" the team is, not how fast it plays.

In this FM13 I had one bizarre match in which my team was playing extremely high tempo first touch passing. Too high to be precise. Then I made the tempo higher (from 1/4 to 3/4), time wasting lower (from 3/4 to 1/4), and they suddenly started taking their time to think what to do with the ball (also started being more direct). It was insane.

PD: The formation assistant is not a solution to anything. It's impossible to make lots of kinds of football. Anything a bit subtle needs to be heavily edited. It's pretty impossible to make positional playing. Basic things like "pushpin" wingers can't be done without changing all settings.

Tell you what. I'm positive Alex Fergusson would not be able to make a tactic that would make the current ME display good football and players making good decisions overall. And I think he know a thing or two about setting up tactics ;)

The ME do need alot of work, and who came up with the physics? IRL I have never seen a ball roll like it does ingame, hockey pucks on the other hand...

I think we're all going to struggle a bit with the ME until some of the obvious flaws are sorted, I'm finding a lot to like about it but analysing what I need to do isn't easy given some of the quirks that occur. :)

A good reason for me not to spend my hard earned cash yet.

I'm not trying to. As I keep saying, I can see issues in the ME. I'm also only really trying to damn those that cry 'worst ME ever!!!!!' as people who are using illogical tactics. from what I'm seeing, the general structure of play has improved, although there are some key issues preventing the overall experience from being what it could be.

In my own game, I'm not seeing much randomness, nor upside down tables. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that AI teams that employed Attacking strategies from the off might be struggling, which might explain things. I think there are a few issues in the ME and AI logic that might hurt such sides.

However you also need to be open to the idea that the feedback is quite real and not believe that people cry wolf about the match engine too often. I seem to recall SI not listening too well to their FM Live consumer base not too long ago and that didn't work out well.

I just ask you keep an open mind.

All I want is someone to tell me how to get my keeper to pass to my defender and how to get my team to press. If no one can answer me this then I want to know why the game was released with these flaws? Especially as I didn't have this issue when playing the BETA.

All I want is someone to tell me how to get my keeper to pass to my defender and how to get my team to press. If no one can answer me this then I want to know why the game was released with these flaws? Especially as I didn't have this issue when playing the BETA.

What mentality do you play with and what is your FB's duty/role?

However you also need to be open to the idea that the feedback is quite real and not believe that people cry wolf about the match engine too often. I seem to recall SI not listening too well to their FM Live consumer base not too long ago and that didn't work out well.

I just ask you keep an open mind.

I think they listened to them far, far too much, which diluted what the game could have been. However, that is definitely off topic.

I recognise that the feedback is genuine in that people are obviously hugely frustrated. No bones about that. However, I really haven't ever seen anyone using a tactic that is 'football-logical' severely struggle in FM. I do get forwarded tactics on a reasonably regular basis, and they all have fundamental structural weaknesses.

I'm also very aware of the weaknesses in the current ME. I'm just pointing out that it is by no means unplayable, and in many aspects better than ever, once you have developed a coherent tactical approach to matches.

What mentality do you play with and what is your FB's duty/role?

control and very fluid. FB's are on support. Many times during the match I have seen all four of my defenders in acres of space waiting for the goalkeeper to pass to them. He always kicks it long.

Same with pressing. My team's instruction is to press often and I always use the shout. I have yet to see any of my players close down players in the middle of the park. Take the Stoke game. N'Zonzi completed 90 of his 96 passes as my team refused to close him down.

Is it possible that by choosing fluid, the FB is pushing higher up than needed in order to break the line and push up the line? Drop your mentality down to balanced and see what happends then. I'm only thinking logically here and it could be completely wrong. Teams that play fluid football irl will have the CB's collect the ball and distribute from there, giving it to the full backs straight away excludes them from the next phase of play.

I recognise that the feedback is genuine in that people are obviously hugely frustrated. No bones about that. However, I really haven't ever seen anyone using a tactic that is 'football-logical' severely struggle in FM. I do get forwarded tactics on a reasonably regular basis, and they all have fundamental structural weaknesses.

For me its not struggling with results, its what I see going on during 3D highlights, so much crazy stuff taking the enjoyment out of the game. The ME must think I do something right after I tuned my tactics and started a new game with the tactics from day one. But it sure as hell doesn't look like premier league football, more like BSP football under the influence of every known drug to man.

jkaudj.jpg

For me its not struggling with results, its what I see going on during 3D highlights, so much crazy stuff taking the enjoyment out of the game. The ME must think I do something right after I tuned my tactics and started a new game with the tactics from day one. But it sure as hell doesn't look like premier league football, more like BSP football under the influence of every known drug to man.

Whereas my BSP team play beautiful football. Might you upload a pkm and tac file somewhere so we can take a look?

The thing is, I'm trying to get my keeper to pass to my CB :D And time and time again I'm seeing my CB completely unmarked and in loads of space.

Play wider? I know as a player the worst thing is when you get the ball in front of your own box it's risky but when you watch Man Utd, the two CB will move out of the 18yard box zone and into the channels. However, I'm not sure this is possible on FM, unless width has an effect on this.

It's not possible, should also point out that I thought of this and instructed my keeper to hit it to my DM. Didn't work either. I've reported both the keeper distribution as a bug as well as the pressing issue. Just annoyed that I didn't experience this in the beta?

Whereas my BSP team play beautiful football. Might you upload a pkm and tac file somewhere so we can take a look?

I can, how big are the files btw? I don't have much free space on my space at my ISP. Or is there a autoupload to youtube still? saw some posts about that being gone (never used it in 2012)

I can, how big are the files btw? I don't have much free space on my space at my ISP. Or is there a autoupload to youtube still? saw some posts about that being gone (never used it in 2012)

Tiny. A .tac file is about 4KB and a .pkm between 70 -85 KB.

This might sound crazy i have really no idea in to what goes into making this game, but when the game is been tested by whoever test the game why did they not see all these problems, the thing that bothers me this year apart from the ME is the ui and the match highlights problem were it just sticks on the match screen, also they have made the 2d classic pitch a lot bigger, it is really frustrating i just cant get in to this game way to many changes, i keep trying to immerse myself but the game just don't feel right.

I feel really bad for been so critical and i know SI have worked really hard but im sorry i just feel really disappointed,

Thanks. The .tac file would be more useful to me than a pkm though.

Why? I'm winning so the ME must like it, and my opponments do stupid things "all the time too"

Bear in mind I do change the striker role depending on the match, and I always use the following shouts.

play through def

work ball into box

retain possession

hassle opponments

http://speedy.sh/e4a6T/4-3-3-AFC.tac

Archived