Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I am currently using a Counter/Balanced approach with the following midfield trio:

AP(A) DLP(S)

DM(D)

Ideally you would want two footed players (Either in FM14 terms), but as the players at my disposal do not I have to make a choice on which side to play my most suitable DLP who is right footed (Right, not Right only in FM terms). I set up as shown with DLP on RHS of the midfield two on the basis that if he closes down to tackle, he is most likely going to be tacking using his right foot. Presumably , for balance, it would be good for AP to have good left foot?

Presumably in midfield areas, you are looking for players whose weaker foot is at least Reasonable and need to be particularly careful on pairings/positioning of Left/Right only when a players weaker foot is weak (in FM14 terms)?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently using a Counter/Balanced approach with the following midfield trio:

AP(A) DLP(S)

DM(D)

Ideally you would want two footed players (Either in FM14 terms), but as the players at my disposal do not I have to make a choice on which side to play my most suitable DLP who is right footed (Right, not Right only in FM terms). I set up as shown with DLP on RHS of the midfield two on the basis that if he closes down to tackle, he is most likely going to be tacking using his right foot. Presumably , for balance, it would be good for AP to have good left foot?

Presumably in midfield areas, you are looking for players whose weaker foot is at least Reasonable and need to be particularly careful on pairings/positioning of Left/Right only when a players weaker foot is weak (in FM14 terms)?

I like a bit of two-footedness in the middle yes, beyond that I'm not too fussed which side they are on. I'd rather decide which side AP and DLP should be on based on the rest of the formation i.e. I'd put the AP(A) on the opposite side to an IF(A) in the AMR/AML slot as they'll probably want to use the same space (particularly if that IF's stronger foot is his inside foot).

So which attributes go into determining the rate of attribute decline of old players?

I've always thought that natural fitness and professionalism (and indirectly, injury proneness) are the big ones, but surely there has to be more to it than that?

Would it also be safe to assume that much like with player development, playing time has a big role in it? Do attributes decline faster if the player isn't playing very much?

I think the top 2 are extremely important but, in reality, its the quality of playing time that matters most. I've had defenders who with high NF & Professionalism, who play regularly (not all the time, but very regularly) progress well into mid-30s without too much trouble, particularly if they had high physical stats to begin with.

When you stop playing an 'older' player, or they get injured, expect big unrecoverable losses. A 6/9mth injury at 32 is often game over (although not quite always, there are always exceptions).

If you want to know if a low NF/Pro can retain his stats if he is playing and playing well then probably, but they will still drop.

I had Ozil break his leg and sit out for about 6 months. He's just starting to come back now, but my assman's opinion of him has gone all the way from 4.5 stars to 3 stars, presumably because of big hits to his attributes. Are those losses recoverable? Or is Ozil just going to be a rotation option for the rest of his career now?

I had Ozil break his leg and sit out for about 6 months. He's just starting to come back now, but my assman's opinion of him has gone all the way from 4.5 stars to 3 stars, presumably because of big hits to his attributes. Are those losses recoverable? Or is Ozil just going to be a rotation option for the rest of his career now?

They should come back over time as he becomes a regular again.

----------ST

---------AMC

ML----------------MR

------DM----DM

DL----DC----DC---DR

----------GK

Can you help me with the roles and duties for this shape, considering i will be underdog?

My FBs are good in defence.

My CBs are tall strong ones.

My DMs both have good defence atts and descent passing and technique.

My MRLs are WBs. Quick, descent in both dribbling and technique but descent in positioning marking etc too.

What roles/duties/philosophy/instructions to use?

I had a tactic that gave me exactly what i want since FM 13 but after 14.2.1 patch stoped working.

Is there anyway to make an offside trap more effective?

I play a high defensive line and hassle opponents, stay on feet, play narrow so there's pressure on midfielders and defenders trying to play long balls but no matter what mentality (standard or control) I use, I always concede at least 2 CCCs every game even when I dominate in every other respect. These chances are always centre midfielders playing long through-balls on the counter and my defenders seem to react slowly despite tactically familiarity and excellent attributes. The centre backs are on centre-back defend roles and the full backs on complete-wing-back attack at home and full back support away. I tired playing with a CM-Defend and an Anchor man but that didn't help. I've tried using control which despite the description made things worse. Playing a deeper defensive line would help but then it would be easier for their midfielders to find space between defense and midfield and pressing would be ineffective. I also play Very Fluid at home and Balanced away which probably has a negative effect on defensive shape.

Quick training type of question: what personality trait influences complacency? I haven't been able to discern a pattern, but I would like to try and address it with young players through tutoring if possible. Anyone know?

Not a training or tactics question but this is where i hang out so going to ask it here. (If that's okay mod's)

Basically I am wondering what is the best country to have a work permit avoiding feeder team in? (quickest to give nationality) Used to be Croatia with two years but i think that's changed now.

Thanks in advance x

How do I keep players fit? They seem to get down to mid 70s each match and often don't recover for the next game so I have to rotate. Team training intensity is average and individual training is heavy but workload is average. I do have a game every three days but I find players aren't recovering quickly enough regardless of stamina. I don't play a pressing game either, I do push up very high but I don't hassle opponents, play at a low tempo and usually get 60% or more possession against all but the very best teams.

How do I keep players fit? They seem to get down to mid 70s each match and often don't recover for the next game so I have to rotate. Team training intensity is average and individual training is heavy but workload is average. I do have a game every three days but I find players aren't recovering quickly enough regardless of stamina. I don't play a pressing game either, I do push up very high but I don't hassle opponents, play at a low tempo and usually get 60% or more possession against all but the very best teams.

The recovery rate between matches is down to the players' natural fitness attribute. Stamina gets them through matches, natural fitness affects the recovery.

^It's possible your pre-season routine has knackered them. I keep general training on low and indiv training on heavy.

When I have players down to their 70s and I need them to play in 3 days I rest them for 2 days.

I'm not sure. It may be a factor. Several of the players were involved in a summer tournament and never got a proper rest.

807KU0Q.jpg

Trying to figure out whats wrong with this setup. My striker didn't score for six games in a row. In fact, the only two players who are scoring, are the wingers. I don't concede much, but when I do, it's from corners.

And what bugs me the most, I'm dominating the game, but my players just can't get it on target. If I have around 12 shots in a game, only 3 or 4 will be on target. And I instructed my players to shoot less often, and I even have the work ball into box shout included.

I'm not sure. It may be a factor. Several of the players were involved in a summer tournament and never got a proper rest.

If you didn't extend the time they were away for then it'll always catch up with them and cause issues during the season :(

If you didn't extend the time they were away for then it'll always catch up with them and cause issues during the season :(

I wasn't given the option. I did give them a week's rest which was all I could afford to. It was the Copa America which seems to end quite late.

I wasn't given the option. I did give them a week's rest which was all I could afford to. It was the Copa America which seems to end quite late.

In real life players often don;t return to training until a week or two unto the full season when they've played in a major summer tournament. Are you sure they weren't on the list for extended leave? You don't get news about it; you have to proactively look at the right screen.

Queries regarding Team Instructions and Player Instructions:

1. say I set Team Instructions to 'shorter passing', will setting Player Instructions to 'pass it shorter' would have no effect or would the players the PI is set for pass it even shorter?

2. say I set Team Instructions to 'hassle opponents', will setting Player Instructions to 'close down more' would have no effect or would the players the PI is set for close down even more?

3. which has priority - Team Instructions or Player Instructions?

4. does the number of PIs given to a player affect his ability to carry them out?

My own guesses would be -

1. No effect

2. No effect

3. Player Instructions

4 No idea, perhaps no

but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Passing penetration - my question is what happens if i don't select any option in team instruction?? I am developing a tactic and cant decide between 'exploit middle' or exploit flanks'.

What happens if i don't 'exploit' anything?! What determines where my players decide to concentrate their passes?

I play an attacking 433 with shorter passing BTW.

Thanks in advance!

I have a Winger Support who is set to "Stays Wider", no PPMs except "Dribbles with Ball Rarely" (Not relevant here, he starts the game with it). For some reason, he plays incredibly narrow, almost like an AMC at times. Is this because my fullback has the "Gets Forward Whenever Possible" PPM? I really can't see any other explanation for it really.

Passing penetration - my question is what happens if i don't select any option in team instruction?? I am developing a tactic and cant decide between 'exploit middle' or exploit flanks'.

What happens if i don't 'exploit' anything?! What determines where my players decide to concentrate their passes?

I play an attacking 433 with shorter passing BTW.

Thanks in advance!

They will just look for viable passing options as determined by players in space and the standard passing length for your players.

So if you've gone through your tactic and set every player's individual instructions to long shots rarely, does the "work ball into the box" instructions actually do anything meaningful?

What is the best tempo to play with counter attacking football? A quick tempo seems like the logical choice.

Also more direct passing and exploit the flanks with quick wide players? Play out from defence switched off?

Also is it possible to get players closing down only in my half rather than all over the pitch? Hassle Opponents just seems to destroy defensive shape completely.

How important is jumping for a centre back? I assumed it would be a critical stat but i was browsing through some stats of players and I notice that some very good CB's don't always have great jumping stats. Sergio Ramos or most of Liverpool's CB's for example.

How important is jumping for a centre back? I assumed it would be a critical stat but i was browsing through some stats of players and I notice that some very good CB's don't always have great jumping stats. Sergio Ramos or most of Liverpool's CB's for example.

It doesn't have to be critical. I find that a good positioning attribute will overcome jumping as he is in a good spot to intercept flighted passes or obstruct his man, but it does really tell on crosses and corners into the box. If I have a good CB who is short, I will, whenever possible, pair him with strong jumper.

It doesn't have to be critical. I find that a good positioning attribute will overcome jumping as he is in a good spot to intercept flighted passes or obstruct his man, but it does really tell on crosses and corners into the box. If I have a good CB who is short, I will, whenever possible, pair him with strong jumper.

Thanks. I've got a two young CB's in my squad who have the potential to develop into better players than my starters. One's got 15 for jumping which is excellent for the division. The other one is only 8 for jumping. If I pair them together the big lad will help the smaller lad out then. Good to know.

I've just got in a big lad with 15 jumping, but he's not ready for the first team yet. Until now, being a bit short-arsed at the back I need to check oppo strikers' quickness attributes carefully. If they're even shorter then it's fine, but if a striker towers over my DCs I need to ensure I keep a high line and nail the oppo wingers to cut out crosses. That can mean forcing them onto their stronger foot if it means they can't cross. I'm still vulnerable at corners, though.

Queries regarding Team Instructions and Player Instructions:

1. say I set Team Instructions to 'shorter passing', will setting Player Instructions to 'pass it shorter' would have no effect or would the players the PI is set for pass it even shorter?

2. say I set Team Instructions to 'hassle opponents', will setting Player Instructions to 'close down more' would have no effect or would the players the PI is set for close down even more?

3. which has priority - Team Instructions or Player Instructions?

4. does the number of PIs given to a player affect his ability to carry them out?

My own guesses would be -

1. No effect

2. No effect

3. Player Instructions

4 No idea, perhaps no

but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

1,2,3 correct. However, do remember that if you use shouts to alter TIs, the PIs will override them.

4. Answer is 'no'. I raised this in a thread before, suggesting a player with low 'football intelligence' should be limited in how many TIs/PIs he could be given, but it wasn't popular!

What is the best tempo to play with counter attacking football? A quick tempo seems like the logical choice.

Also more direct passing and exploit the flanks with quick wide players? Play out from defence switched off?

Also is it possible to get players closing down only in my half rather than all over the pitch? Hassle Opponents just seems to destroy defensive shape completely.

I do things differently!

1. I use counter-a with low tempo. C-A means you pass around the back, keeping possession until you see an opportunity. Keeping possession means using low tempo (unless you're Bayern Munich!) - when the C-A kicks in the players to high tempo.

2. Again, to retain possession I use play out from defence when my BPD is available (if I have Limited Defenders I can't use it!). But I combine it with exploit the flanks because my central midfield has an Anchor and a ball-winner and my flanks have CWBs and wingers/IFs/WMs (ie 4 personnel compared to 3 in the centre). I use short passing rather than direct, however.

HO does destroy shape - I only use it if playing a high line and have a very speedy DC. You could give PIs to close down more to your back line only - not sure how successful it would be.

I do things differently!

1. I use counter-a with low tempo. C-A means you pass around the back, keeping possession until you see an opportunity. Keeping possession means using low tempo (unless you're Bayern Munich!) - when the C-A kicks in the players to high tempo.

2. Again, to retain possession I use play out from defence when my BPD is available (if I have Limited Defenders I can't use it!). But I combine it with exploit the flanks because my central midfield has an Anchor and a ball-winner and my flanks have CWBs and wingers/IFs/WMs (ie 4 personnel compared to 3 in the centre). I use short passing rather than direct, however.

HO does destroy shape - I only use it if playing a high line and have a very speedy DC. You could give PIs to close down more to your back line only - not sure how successful it would be.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try those tactics out. I usually play a controlling, possession based game but I always get dominated away against Man City so I want an alternative counter-attacking tactic.

I don't know if this is totally related to tactics, but in my last three games my team hit the post for 9 times!

And yes, i'm talking to my players to take ball into the area. Why this is happening?

Bad luck, I have it too. They do score well too but just hit the post far too often.

You could, however, check if they try to score from narrow angles, as that increases the likelyhood of players hitting the post, especially if they are skilled.

Bad luck, I have it too. They do score well too but just hit the post far too often.

You could, however, check if they try to score from narrow angles, as that increases the likelyhood of players hitting the post, especially if they are skilled.

I analyzed the games of my team and the frequency of kicks at goal and came to the following conclusion:

Marco_Segura_Relat_rios_An_lise.png

In green = High frequency of kicks at goal

In yellow = Medium frequency of kicks at goal

In orange = Low frequency of kicks at goal

1,2,3 correct. However, do remember that if you use shouts to alter TIs, the PIs will override them.

4. Answer is 'no'. I raised this in a thread before, suggesting a player with low 'football intelligence' should be limited in how many TIs/PIs he could be given, but it wasn't popular!

Thanks so much for the feedback phnompenhandy. Much appreciated.

Posted here twice, didn't get the answer. Maybe the third luck.

So the question is, why is my MC, who is set on advanced playmaker - attack, takes so much long shots?

His PPMs are tries killer ball often and dictates tempo.

Usually due to lack of good passing options - so without any other option, he shoots!

Well it's hard for me to believe that that happen 8 to 9 times in a match. In front of him are one winger, one inside forward and one advanced forward, and next to him is BtB midfielder. At least one of them should be open to recieve a pass, especially when he have a tries killer ball PPM.

Posted here twice, didn't get the answer. Maybe the third luck.

So the question is, why is my MC, who is set on advanced playmaker - attack, takes so much long shots?

His PPMs are tries killer ball often and dictates tempo.

Mine doesn't take long shots all the time. In your case it could be a lack of options, lack of movement etc.

In my team instructions I have look for overlap and roam from position shouts :D

I will pay more attention next game, so I will provide screenshots if necessary.

Just because you use those shouts doesn't mean you have players actually making intelligent runs and creating space though :)

In my team instructions I have look for overlap and roam from position shouts :D

I will pay more attention next game, so I will provide screenshots if necessary.

Actually, if all your players are moving forward at the same time it may mean they're easily marked. You also need attackers coming towards the ball, usually players from the AM/ST strata with a support role. The best thing is to watch the match and everytime the player takes a long shot, check if there's other and better stuff he can do. Keep in mind that it can also de due to the player's attributes of course. Low creativy, decisions, teamwork... take your pick.

I have a question, maybe stupid...

Can someone explain the differences between a Complete Wingback and a Wingback/Attack? And which is more defensive/takes care of defensive duties more?

I figure the Wingback/Attack is more defensive, but I don't really understand how these roles are too different from one-another.

How do I instruct my players to choose less risky actions without wasting time ???

Wouldn't you do that by restricting creative freedom? I don't have FM14 as yet, still playing 13, but I don't think there is a shout for it. I guess you'd have to do it on the team instructions, or manually set it for the players that you want playing safer. Or, maybe there's another, better way!

Wouldn't you do that by restricting creative freedom? I don't have FM14 as yet, still playing 13, but I don't think there is a shout for it. I guess you'd have to do it on the team instructions, or manually set it for the players that you want playing safer. Or, maybe there's another, better way!

Yeh there is - the PI 'less risky passes'.

Two questions I've wondered about:

1. Pre-season length: When given the option for when the players return is it best to pick the soonest option. So you make more money and the players have longer to get used to the tactics and get match fit before the season. Does the length of a holiday do any good for a player in game? I guess too long and their attributes would decline. I guess the benefit of being able to relax and switch off isn't in the game, which would be a disadvantage IRL if you declare pre-season is early especially during a WC/EURO year.

2. If you have a youngster who's a Model Professional is there any point in tutoring them? Unless you have a stand out tutor, eg. Model Pro with good PPM, high determination etc, but that rarely happens.