Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

Personally I think four or five established players need to come in for the inevitable departures of Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Giggs, and the wide men. That needs to be supplemented by two or three young players to come in as squad members who can grow at the club along with the younger players we already have.

That sounds entirely rational.

As a neutral observer, I reckon you'd benefit from a physical central midfielder too, plus possibly a true right-back to put pressure on Rafael.

That apart, talk of United's demise seems much exaggerated.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds entirely rational.

As a neutral observer, I reckon you'd benefit from a physical central midfielder too, plus possibly a true right-back to put pressure on Rafael.

That apart, talk of United's demise seems much exaggerated.

Agreed.

The last sentence is a funny one. Iain Dowie the day claimed that of the current squad only DeGea, Carrick, and Rooney were good enough if we wanted to get back amongst the top four next season. I was staggered.

Kagawa was established imo, Man Utd ruined him by not playing him and when they did play him using him in the wrong position. Just look how he pulled the strings at Dortmund and ripped teams to shreds.

Kagawa was established imo, Man Utd ruined him by not playing him and when they did play him using him in the wrong position. Just look how he pulled the strings at Dortmund and ripped teams to shreds.

Fergie and Moyes' perpetual misuse of Kagawa is baffling.

He has a clearly defined best Role from his Dortmund days, and to try to shoehorn him in out wide, was just stupid. Akin to how I play FM.

Kagawa isn't the first player to be asked to play in an unfamiliar position and he certainly won't be the last. Welbeck, Rooney, Carrick, Valencia, Jones etc. the list goes on.

Those you listed though all played various positions before joining United though. Kagawa, was/is known for being just a AMC. Pointless buying him if the intention was to never use him in his preferred position. Bad management that is.

Carrick was never a CB. Valencia was never a RB, Jones was never a CM. Kagawa hasn't always been put out wide either. He's had opportunities through the middle.

Wow the ignorance is quite astonishing, Carrick played CB a few times for Spurs and Swindon. His full loan at Swindon was as a centreback iirc. Valencia played right wingback long before he went to Man Utd, I remember him playing wingback for Wigan quite a few times. However he doesn't like playing rightback. I guess you didn't know who Jones was before he went to Man Utd then? 2010/11 season he played as a defensive midfielder until he was injured which is a midfielder no?

If you want to argue about players or discuss them then atleast have knowledge of them and what they did before United or you look silly when you come out with comments like in your quote. Typical big club fan, oblivious to what a player achieved or where he played before joining you and thinking 'you made him play this way'.

Kagawa has had chances in the middle yeah but not a consistent run and often during the games got switched to out wide. Kagawa is a player you build a team around and give him freedom to play in the centre as he did at Dortmund. Using him in other positions he is uncomfortable in and can't influence from is a mismanagement.

Next you'll be telling me big save Dave wasn't a keeper until he joined United...:D

This is why I hope its Van Gaal, he likes a bust up with high profile players.

Wouldn't mind that at all. But then you already know my thoughts about the scouser.

I have as much of a problem with the media love for him as anything else. Yesterday you have journalists ripping into the players, saying how they hadn't performed for Moyes and that they hadn't been trying for him. Rooney was exempt from this and was praised for dragging us along with his own personal performances and effort.

I couldn't believe it. The boy has been dire most of the season and his effort not much better. Yet the media refuse to say this about him and come out with the old rhetoric about him always showing passion and a willingness to put some effort in.

Your argument ended at 'typical big club fan'.

I was factually correct though unlike you. I see you nicely skipped over the part where you're entire argument wasn't correct though.

Wouldn't mind that at all. But then you already know my thoughts about the scouser.

I have as much of a problem with the media love for him as anything else. Yesterday you have journalists ripping into the players, saying how they hadn't performed for Moyes and that they hadn't been trying for him. Rooney was exempt from this and was praised for dragging us along with his own personal performances and effort.

I couldn't believe it. The boy has been dire most of the season and his effort not much better. Yet the media refuse to say this about him and come out with the old rhetoric about him always showing passion and a willingness to put some effort in.

Rooney is so overrated its unreal imo. Not sure why he got exempt from the journos ripping you apart though, his whole attitude is wrong and he should have been moved on years ago. Most of the journo's probably haven't even seen him play regular yet still feel they can write about him.

I was factually correct though unlike you. I see you nicely skipped over the part where you're entire argument wasn't correct though.

Had you entered into a sensible discussion with me rather than turning to your typical big club fan quip and indirects I might have answered you. Like any fan I've read up on players we've signed, but no where have I seen that Carrick played for Swindon at CB for his loan spell, I hadn't seen/heard of Valencia playing as a Wing-back. I hadn't heard of Rooney playing CM for Everton and from what I'd seen at Blackburn I'd only seen Jones at CB.

I don't study football religiously outside of my own club. I just don't have the time. I read up what I can when I can and from what I've seen/read on our players that is the information I had gathered. Even a quick search on Carrick now I've not seen anything about him playing at CB. But my interests outside of United just aren't that great. It doesn't make me a typical big club fan. It makes me a typical fan that doesn't study every other team/player religiously.

I know plenty of people that support clubs outside of the Premier League that couldn't tell you anything about the Premier League or the players there. There's no need to label them, either.

Had you entered into a sensible discussion with me rather than turning to your typical big club fan quip and indirects I might have answered you. Like any fan I've read up on players we've signed, but no where have I seen that Carrick played for Swindon at CB for his loan spell, I hadn't seen/heard of Valencia playing as a Wing-back. I hadn't heard of Rooney playing CM for Everton and from what I'd seen at Blackburn I'd only seen Jones at CB.

I don't study football religiously outside of my own club. I just don't have the time. I read up what I can when I can and from what I've seen/read on our players that is the information I had gathered. Even a quick search on Carrick now I've not seen anything about him playing at CB. But my interests outside of United just aren't that great. It doesn't make me a typical big club fan. It makes me a typical fan that doesn't study every other team/player religiously.

I know plenty of people that support clubs outside of the Premier League that couldn't tell you anything about the Premier League or the players there. There's no need to label them, either.

You say you don't study it religiously yet thought you knew enough about it to pass comment and categorically state that those players hadn't played those positions before joining United which is still wrong. You only have to look at some of the videos from youtube or anywhere else to see them playing in those positions I mentioned. Jones's is much easier to find if you can't be bothered to look though as you only need to look at any Blackburn game in 2010/11 season between August and December. Or look at some of the Valencia clips when he was onloan at Wigan and was playing instead of Emerson Boyce at right back at times. Carrick is trickier as there probably isn't much footage around from the 90's on youtube. But there are certainly articles on it.

I still think you are a typical big club fan though who think his side invented the wheel.

Antonio Valencia played wide left for Ecuador at the 2006 World Cup. He worse beautiful yellow boots. :cool:

To be fair Cleon, the mistake often made with Jones is that his debut was against Chelsea as a CB. From there they just assume that was where he played.

Next seasons season ticket already? How, I can't even renew until May :(

Been a glorious day here today, had a run this morning then went out for a nice walk with the missus and kids. Then later I think we are all going out for some tea, not sure where yet though.

For the second year running our club have done an early bird renewal system. This year they've opened it up to people who don't have season tickets as well.

For the eighth year in a row Arsenal are desperately trying to get season ticket holders to renew by leaking to the press their supposed transfer budget and alleged transfer targets. (Mandzukic one of them, apparently).

What are you doing for weight loss? Any specific program?

It's a plus point of being diabetic. One of the tablets I take helps my muscles work harder, so when doing any kind of exercise I lose more weight that I should due to it having an increased rate on working my muscles. Plus I eat really healthy now again. I just go boxing and running that's all I'm doing atm.

SRL - How did the move go? Where you live now? Still Whissywashing :D?

It went alright. I still don't have internet but we are in and rooms are beginning to look like rooms for their purpose rather than a pile of boxes now. The house is nice and our landlord and landlady put a lot of work in for us to get the house into the condition i wanted it. The street is very quiet as well which is another bonus.

We moved to the next village along from where we lived which is where the eldest goes to school already and the youngest will be going to in September. That on its own will save us money because the government are starting to charge £30 p/m for each child to get a school bus.

Sometimes I wish I lived up North.

Aside from all the pigeon / whippet racing and flat caps, houses are so much more sensibly priced than down my way :(

Plus my eldest daughter sounds a bit like Vicky Pollard :(

North is where it's all at tbh. And no bad mouthing flat caps I wear one :(