Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there. Got back to Manchester just after half past midnight. No need for sorrow drowning. :)

I couldn't watch it since cancelling Sky :(

Good game? How was the Allianz Arena?

Everything online seemed to suggest the match was the usual case of Bayern poncing about passing lots but not shooting for most of the time, and then some ***** defending from United?

Also sounds like Rooney was unfit and missed a couple of reasonable chances? Did he contribute much to the game in other areas?

I couldn't watch it since cancelling Sky :(

Good game? How was the Allianz Arena?

Everything online seemed to suggest the match was the usual case of Bayern poncing about passing lots but not shooting for most of the time, and then some ***** defending from United?

Also sounds like Rooney was unfit and missed a couple of reasonable chances? Did he contribute much to the game in other areas?

Stadium is great, but been before so nothing new to me there. :D

The game was for a long time a classic European away display; Bayern had all the ball but we kept our shape and they rarely looked too dangerous, whereas on the break we often looked like we could do something. And then we scored and it all went wrong.

Generally, Rooney did ok. He was pretty neat and tidy with the ball, pressed them well, and mucked in deeper. His finishing was poor though. Two good chances he had and fluffed them both. He wasn't fit though, and I doubt he'd have been anything more than a sub had van Persie been available.

Sun has been out today here as well. I tried to get Friday off but haven't been successful due to my workplace changing holiday requests having to be 7 days in advance instead of 24 hours. Not overly fussed though as it will probably be a quiet day due to people not being at work which is good. I also get to start earlier on Friday and finish earlier. Saturday I'm playing cricket which is great. Sunday I'll chill and Monday I'll be on 8 until half 3. I'll probably go out Friday night as a mate is leaving.

The other half's car knackered up today. Was a pretty old one but it will cost more than it is actually worth to fix it so there is me having to cough up for a new car a few days before we move :(.

Balotelli with his 30th goal in 50 for Milan today. Can't help but feel City ****ed up letting him leave....

You make it sound like quality is the only thing that matters. His attitude was dreadful and he was more trouble than he was worth.

He has scored some beauties for them as well!

How many have been penalties? Presume maybe 10?

Not actually sure, I'll see if I can find out.

You make it sound like quality is the only thing that matters. His attitude was dreadful and he was more trouble than he was worth.

Was it really though? He was a character for certain but Mancini's attitude towards him was awful too. You can't sit there and say he was wrong 100% and had a dreadful attitude when all you know is what you read in the media....thought you was smarter than that tbh

Was it really though? He was a character for certain but Mancini's attitude towards him was awful too. You can't sit there and say he was wrong 100% and had a dreadful attitude when all you know is what you read in the media....thought you was smarter than that tbh

Well, I don't only know what was in the media, and you should know that.

But a character? He wasn't Sooty going round throwing cream pies in peoples faces for crying out loud. He was a moody **** who would regularly start fights with people in training if he got out of the wrong side of bed. Whether it was the food, the weather, the local girls, whatever, he'd have be moaning and not getting on with his job. He made no effort to integrate with his colleagues, and even fell out with those had put their trust in him and given him a hell of a lot of slack.

Mancini's attitude was only awful towards him in the fact that he indulged him in the hope he'd grow up. Not anything else.

Not at the time of you posting this he hasn't. Or me this for that matter.

But yeah, seems it's a case of when and not if.

According to the Guardian Australia he has been sacked now. Looks like Van Gaal or Klopp are the forerunners.

I'd love to see Van Gaal take the helm although he doesn't stick around long. But he'll not care about player reps and falls out with the big players at times, I'd love to see him handle Rooney when he kicks off again.

It's such a massive appointment for them to get right (not that it wasn't a massive appointment back in the summer!)

I think the situation is very much muddied by the likelihood that Barcelona will be changing manager in the summer too.

I don't think Klopp will leave Dortmund as he seems a very principled and dedicated guy. The challenge of bridging the gap to Bayern motivates him.

Simeone is mentioned, but he seems similarly committed to Atletico, and he isn't really an experienced coach.

Domestically, Martinez is rightly getting mentioned. However, I get the sense that he will be at Everton for a few years yet.

If any of them were available, but Barcelona were also interested, which club would they choose?

Van Gaal would be the appointment that probably appeals least to United fans, but it may be the most realistic.

I agree that from everything i hear Van Gall sems the most likely. I think Klopp would probably be the best fit but i can't see Dortmund Allowing him to leave.

I would like to see what Martinez could do with them though. Especially if the new manager is given the substantial war chest (no figures reported but read that there is one a few times) that has been reported. Like RT says though i just can't see Everton letting him go/Him wanting to go.

And so we joined mass ranks of every other club. And it took us less than a year after Ferguson left. No more morale high ground, we're just like everyone else.

Personally I feel sorry for Moyes. Yes he has made mistakes, but he's also been let down by an awful lot of people.

This was always the fear of what would happen after Ferguson in my opinion. One person has a poor season or what ever and he is sacked because he will always be compared to Ferguson.

It was always very easy to take the moral high-ground when you have had a manager in charge for 26-years. However, football has moved on: it is a business now. And at the end of the day a business needs results. I don't know of any other business that keeps management in place that spectacularly fails to reach it's targets.

I'd have liked to have seen what he could have done with his own squad, but that was never going to happen given the league position. Reports are that the decision was already made after the 3-0 defeat against Liverpool.

Personally I'm not keen on LVG, Ancelotti or Simeone. I'd have liked Guus Hiddink, but that's not going to happen.

This was always the fear of what would happen after Ferguson in my opinion. One person has a poor season or what ever and he is sacked because he will always be compared to Ferguson.

Always said that the best job would be to be the one after the one after Ferguson.

It was always very easy to take the moral high-ground when you have had a manager in charge for 26-years. However, football has moved on: it is a business now. And at the end of the day a business needs results. I don't know of any other business that keeps management in place that spectacularly fails to reach it's targets.

I'd have liked to have seen what he could have done with his own squad, but that was never going to happen given the league position. Reports are that the decision was already made after the 3-0 defeat against Liverpool.

Personally I'm not keen on LVG, Ancelotti or Simeone. I'd have liked Guus Hiddink, but that's not going to happen.

Spectacularly fails to reach his targets lol. This is exactly what is wrong with football, too many spoilt fans who think its the end of the world missing out on the top 4 for one season. Being in a relgation fight would be classed as a spectacular fail but 7th isn't that bad. Fans needs to stop over reacting ffs and making out the world has ended. I despise the big club mentality of some fans who can't see the bigger picture and have no idea what rebuilding means. Moyes reign wasn't helped by the fact Liverpool and Everton are over-performing either.

I don't know many business that panic and sack people after 1 bad campaign (especially in a transition period). If it happened regular sure then it happens but only badly run companies sack people for the panic factor without giving the person time to build his own legacy.

...aaaand we're now officially Champions :) Unbelievable season. Nigel Pearson is the best manager we've had here since Martin O'Neil, probably even better than him to be honest. The guy is class.

Congrats, you've played some great football this season. Kinda ironic that when you stopped throwing silly money at the club they got promoted though :D

Well, you know I agree with you in a sense. We're seventh in the most competitive league in Europe after one mediocre season in over twenty years. Yes it hasn't been an ideal campaign, but to see the word "disaster" bandied around so much has been embarrassing.

Well, you know I agree with you in a sense. We're seventh in the most competitive league in Europe after one mediocre season in over twenty years. Yes it hasn't been an ideal campaign, but to see the word "disaster" bandied around so much has been embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong I can understand that from 1st to 7th is an underachievement I just can't accept the words disaster, crisis etc that some fans are throwing around :D

Spectacularly fails to reach his targets lol. This is exactly what is wrong with football, too many spoilt fans who think its the end of the world missing out on the top 4 for one season. Being in a relgation fight would be classed as a spectacular fail but 7th isn't that bad. Fans needs to stop over reacting ffs and making out the world has ended. I despise the big club mentality of some fans who can't see the bigger picture and have no idea what rebuilding means. Moyes reign wasn't helped by the fact Liverpool and Everton are over-performing either.

I don't know many business that panic and sack people after 1 bad campaign (especially in a transition period). If it happened regular sure then it happens but only badly run companies sack people for the panic factor without giving the person time to build his own legacy.

I think you've missed the angle I'm coming from. I'm not talking about my targets as a fan, I'm talking about the boards targets and expectations. For what it's worth I wanted him to have another season to build his own team.

I think you've missed the angle I'm coming from. I'm not talking about my targets as a fan, I'm talking about the boards targets and expectations. For what it's worth I wanted him to have another season to build his own team.

The board should have known that you'd struggle for top 4 though and the board should have took into account 2 teams who are over performing. The board sacked him due to the pressure of some fans banging on about how negative the football was etc, that's what they've done. Panic is panic. Yet again its a victory for the moronic fans nothing more and nothing less.

Not to even mention all the injuries. Any side will miss RvP's goals.....

I've not watched United this season beyond what you see edited hugely on MOTD, and the odd CL game.

If the players lacked effort, surely the crowd would have picked up on that?

Either way, this opportunity to rebuild could be a blessing in disguise for Man U.

I wouldn't necessarily expect them to finish in the Top 4 next season either. Much depends on who they appoint, and what their overall strategy is.

They could lob a load of money at established stars in search of an immediate return to CL football, or they could look to take a longer term approach. It will be fascinating to watch.

Time to mix a few established stars with the younger ones.

Originally, I though "What the Hell is Tom on about?", but when I look at your transfer dealings over the past decade or so, I'd argue that only RvP and Mata are actually established stars.

You've paid handsomely for "potential", some of which has been realised (De Gea), some of which is still developing (Smalling, Jones), but the bulk of which never consistently reached the heights for one reason or another (Anderson, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez, Young, Kagawa (I like him a lot), Zaha, Fellaini).

It's a pretty hit and miss list, especially considering the departures of Pique and Pogba, although those were quite specific circumstances.

The squad's not as bad as what many would have you believe. (Robbie Savage inparticular has been ridiculously scathing). But a big problem is that as the younger players haven't quite matured a we'd hoped, the older players have just been allowed to age with little inbetween being brought in.

A problem that arises in this scenario is that younger players need players around performing well to give them confidence, and when that isn't happening they inevitably suffer. Chris Smalling & Tom Cleverley are good examples of that. First 2-3 years in the first team they were lauded by many outside Old Trafford, nevermind inside. A poor campaign as a team collectively this term and those two are being set upon by our own fans as not being good enough.

Personally I think four or five established players need to come in for the inevitable departures of Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Giggs, and the wide men. That needs to be supplemented by two or three young players to come in as squad members who can grow at the club along with the younger players we already have.