Official Patch 11.2 Feedback thread

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Game is playing fine for me. Just noticed something strange; earthquake perhaps. Construction began on my Youth facilities, and as time progressed it was about 50% complete. I just got a message today that constuction began on my Youth facilities and should be complete in 5 months. The progression bar went back to 0%.... oh boy :)

Neil, is there any repsonse of the above problem mentioned. Thanks

Neil won't get into an argument with you over this but I sure as hell will.

Your experience as lead tester was on FM was it? No, thought not. So we can disregard anything your so called experience brings to the table. Have you ever beta tested for FM? Again if not, your experience means jack.

I've been playing the game since the demo, in fact I have one save that has gone through since then. Not once have I experienced any of these issues that are apparently so blatant. My tactics/set pieces/etc have never re set themselves. I don't have polish leagues loaded so guess what? My saves load. I guess I'm a lucky one. For the record I'm on Steam also, so all the irrational hatred for that is exactly that, irrational.

Now I am not for one minute belittling those with problems or denying their existence but there needs to be some realisation that some of these issues are not popping up for everyone so some of the people its not happening to are clearly part of SI's testing team. Why am I lucky? I really don't know, my laptop is rubbish and I was happy just to be able to run FM11. Maybe its all this fancy new hardware thats causing the issue? I don't know, I'm no tech expert.

This thread has made me laugh considerably, I must say. The 'fanboys' and 'haters' still going at it, some of the people so voiceferous about the transfer 'issue' have now popped up in here moaning that its now harder to shift players!!?? Sorry, you want your cake and you want to eat it? Or is it possibly that some of these people are notorious moaners who aren't satisfied unless they are whinging. And again this is not a blanket statement, there have been some very eloquent and constructive posts in the bug forum that will actually help SI to improve this game (surely this is what any true fan wants?), but so much of it is hidden by the sheer weight of absolutely idiotic and mis informed posts, much like the one I'm responding to here. So, so much wrong with this forum in general.

Anyway rant at the misinformed aside, I'd just like to thank SI for getting 11.2 out there so quickly, for the vast majority of people it seems to be working fine and has corrected many issues. Sorry for the rest of you but as always SI will see you right.

I've contract obligations not to talk about my work, not going to start on here,but I never worked for SI, I'm not a disgruntled former employee if thats what you were fishing for.

The fact that you never ran into any of the bugs that countless other people have means what exactly?? You clearly are a minority so pipe down.

I'm not a fanboy or a hater, I've apologised for that assumption but my point still stands over the perception. My criticism was intended to be constructive and not just having a go at the guys.

hold on a sec is anyone other than me having problems with a steam version of the game WITHOUT the polish league loaded, not loading saved games? as it seems this fix is just for the polish league only..well none of my saves are loading on steam.

i never play polish league and this thing its not issue for me.

on this topic everyone is talking about that error and i cant find the things about patch itself.

can someone tell me PLEASE:

what is with transfer system, is it still broken?

is there some changes in strikers scoring? (on 11.1 it was balanced, it was possible to score a lot with strikers if the tactic was right)?

is narrow tactics more balanced? (on 11.1 wide formations got all the succes, now wanna know can you make decent narrow tactic)?

what with one on ones?

is the match engine more balanced?

will be some hotfix for 11.2 because i dont want to download it twice?

i know, lot of questions but if someone can answer me generaly in short notes is this patch - good?

sorry for my language and thanks for the patch :)

best regards

Hello i have a problem that is beginning to drive me mad

As i have written yesterday , the french leagues dont work anymore for me with database 11.2

At gamestart the game always says : Need 59 teams for french CFA only found 58

Now i reloaded the 11.2 Byteshield patch , reinstalled the game , restarted windows , i DONT use any edited files

and again after 11.2 i have only 58 teams in the french cfa instead 59 and french leagues won't start

This problem is driving me mad cause i seem to be the only one who has this problem.

I also posted this in the german forum...nobody seems to have this problem.

I did not drink-:) or something like that...but this is weird...there is one french team missing in my (only my???!) 11.2 database

Please don't let this thread descend into discussions about fanboy-ism and the like, it's just for the 11.2 patch, and I'd appreciate it if it stayed that way.

Cheers.

well said.

the issue with the set-pieces resetting themselves appears to be intermittent which I assume would make it difficult to fix?

I've now played 4 matches since applying the patch and only prior to the fourth did the set-pieces reset (and then it was only the instructions for one player). It was the same in 11.1.1 - some games I'd lose the set-piece instructions for one or two players, others they were fine. It's only because I got in the habit of checking them pre-match in 11.1.1 that I noticed it in 11.2.

the current, current and current (recurring) tactics are getting to be a little annoying though, although I just delete them in 'manage tactics' pre-match.

• Administrators
hold on a sec is anyone other than me having problems with a steam version of the game WITHOUT the polish league loaded, not loading saved games? as it seems this fix is just for the polish league only..well none of my saves are loading on steam.

What leagues are you running? Let me know, thanks.

• Administrators
well said.

the issue with the set-pieces resetting themselves appears to be intermittent which I assume would make it difficult to fix?

I've now played 4 matches since applying the patch and only prior to the fourth did the set-pieces reset (and then it was only the instructions for one player). It was the same in 11.1.1 - some games I'd lose the set-piece instructions for one or two players, others they were fine. It's only because I got in the habit of checking them pre-match in 11.1.1 that I noticed it in 11.2.

the current, current and current (recurring) tactics are getting to be a little annoying though, although I just delete them in 'manage tactics' pre-match.

Yeah it's one of those issues that's making us collective tear our hair out. I've not encountered it at all on my home game, I believe it has been spotted here, but we're struggling to find how or why it reproduces. It's one of those things we thought we had sorted that may have slipped through, just because as you said, the fact it appears intermittently.

What leagues are you running? Let me know, thanks.

i uploaded a save for you to look at and posted yesterday in here, guess it went unnoticed, anyway cant say exactly what ones but its definatley not the polish league, something along the lines of: england spain germany france italy romania serbia.., its on the ftp 'chianja.fm'

• Administrators
i uploaded a save for you to look at and posted yesterday in here, guess it went unnoticed, anyway cant say exactly what ones but its definatley not the polish league, something along the lines of: england spain germany france italy romania serbia.., its on the ftp 'chianja.fm'

You were running Poland as well, so like the rest it'll be resolved by the fix we'll be releasing soon.

• Administrators
Question to SI : (about my previos post)

Should i try the "normal" patch for the CD Version to see if i get a different database ?! (Im using the bytheshield version)

and the patch with bytheshield patch again ?

No, that'll mean you won't be able to play your game. Do not do that.

Instead delete your settings folder as shown here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/233554-Football-Manager-2011-FAQ?p=6066654&viewfull=1#post6066654

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Wait a minute, so with the new patch, teams won't flog quality players for market value when they have years on their contract? If this is fixed, then all is good with FM and the complaints about this issue are irrelevant now, imo.

I haven't tested so i can't say personally if this is the case yet.

As for it being hard to to shift players on.....well, for those of you who actually follow football, then you would know that this is a realistic representation of how football works. Look at the industry, in Italy and Spain players have been loaned back and forth for years because no-one wants to buy, and England is now catching up with that mentality. Loans are becoming more prevalent, and clubs will not pay over the odds for players anymore. As a Spurs fan, i know that there sure as hell is no-one who will pay £12 million for David Bentley anymore.

Cannot speak for anyone else, but as long as the transfer system is improved then i am happy, because i can honestly say that all these other bugs were not noticeable in my game.

Oh yeah, this is off-thread, apologies..

After my initial spit and spat with a couple of people on here yesterday re their attitude to what a lot of us had just experienced re Steam; today I am remarkably stoic.

I decided to give the latest patch a go and start from scratch with my beloved newcastle (pains I go through). I have noticed that tactics are not kept as the saved name you have given them but resort to as "current" - this is a known issue and does not interfere too greatly.

As for the transfer system I am not sure what has changed but I an finding hard to offload some players (given that nufc paid silly wages for some of their older players) it is hardly surprising that know one wants to buy them.

I like the fact that I can now give a substitute a talk before he goes on - just spotted that in an earlier thread.

Again the patch has the potential to make a very good game an excellent one, when they sort out the "blips"!!!

The ME appears to be running smooth and a joy to watch. Set tactic creator stiill a bit of a mystery as to whether it works or not.

Work permits are as rare as hen's teeth, been turned down 4/5 times, three youngsters under 18 and two 30+ guys (all freebies) but alas the Home Office said no, even on appeal.

A final word to say thank you to Neil and the other guys for there forebearance in having to be the frontline for our rages and railings (you would think I would know better at my age!)

:)

Dont be a smart ass!! Maybe if you and your cronies spent more time fixing the game than trying to be clowns on here you may not get the grief.

So... Days, Hours or Weeks?

grow up. How many times do you need them to say they are working on it and it will be done as soon as possible, how old are you? 7?

Any chance that you could pull both the "Polish" issue and the "Byteshield" issue into sticky, moderator only threads for the time being, so that I don't have to wade through the last 50 posts of this thread every time I come here to see if I can play FM2011 again? (I'm running Steam w/auto update and the Polish leagues). Then I could just go to the sticky, see "We're (still) working on it", and go back to playing Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age for a while longer. :)

Particularly since much of this thread has degraded to flame wars?

We have a number of internal testers, not to mention external beta testers looking at the game. The unfortunate thing with the Polish bug is that it came into the game very late before the release of the patch - as a QA collective we admit we missed it and it's our bad, we hold our hands up for this, it was disappointing that we didn't spot it else of course we'd never have let the patch go out. However we're striving to get something resolved in regards to this as soon as possible. We in absolutely no way try to or rely on the community to test our game at the 'release' stages.

Obviously the amount of people that play the game far outweigh those that test it, so there is always a possibility you guys will come across things we haven't - but saying that the majority of issues raised have already been spotted internally. Just in this 'Polish' circumstance we outright didn't spot it, and as said, we hold our hands up for that. Cheers.

Testing teams are not a QA function. They are QC. Although it is a semantic point, it is indicative of the poor quality of testing that the department is not even correctly named. Can I ask - are SI or SEGA ISO9001 certified?

Personally, I have very little software testing experience, certainly not on a program as complex as I imagine FM must be. Having said that, I am astounded that, over the last few years, so many eye-gougingly blatant faults with the game have "slipped through the net" prior to release of full games or, as has happened in this case, patches which are intended to correct issues in the game.

So far on this version we have had one hotfix to correct a suspension issue in the Spanish leagues which would be patently obvious to anyone who played the game, for real or as a test, for more than a couple of hours. Now we have had a second patch which has completely broken a number of people's games and which will, at best, require another hotfix to correct. I fail to see how any testing team could miss the fact that the inclusion of a default league in your game would render a saved game unplayable.

If this happened once, or perhaps even twice, then I'm sure that the FM community would be fairly forgiving. After all, despite the clear issues with the game, it is still sold in the hundreds of thousands and some people defend it to the hilt. However, the regularity and game-ending impact of the simple mistakes being made are infuriating to say the least and only the lack of viable competition is keeping this game as popular as it is.

And we're not even talking about the minor issues here, the simple aesthetic errors such as the "continue" button which actually says "pause". I'd be fired if I let a product which was as faulty as this one get anywhere near release.

I'm fortunate enough that my game hasn't been ended by the impact of this patch and, for me, the good things about FM far outweigh the negatives... so far. A continuation along this road though and it won't be long before people start giving up on this game in their droves.

A question to end, if I may. The testing team - do you bring in an external Quality Control company with software experience to test the game or are the testers all sourced from within SI / SEGA and/or the FM community?

Dont be a smart ass!! Maybe if you and your cronies spent more time fixing the game than trying to be clowns on here you may not get the grief.

So... Days, Hours or Weeks?

You're the one being a smart ass. When I originally responded to you, it had been said on more than one occasion in the thread that the fix would be released as soon as possible. When you are going to be annoyingly persistant you can only expected similar responses.

Let me ask you a question. When you will cease to be annoying?

Any way that you could pull both the "Polish" issue and the "Byteshield" issue into sticky, moderator only threads for the time being, so that I don't have to wade through the last 50 posts of this thread every time I come here to see if I can play FM2011 again? (I'm running Steam w/auto update and the Polish leagues). Then I could just go to the sticky, see "We're (still) working on it"

Very good idea. I'm in the same position... Steam (though I won't use it for any future games now) and Poland running in my save.

Unless you guys have been speaking to mystic meg and know something I dont then I am a bit disapointed that Dundee FC's 25 point deduction for going into administration for a second time has been included in this patch. Dundee have appealed t this decision and find out until tomorrow if it is to be removed or upheld. I think it would have been better to wait and then include this in the January update.

Testing teams are not a QA function. They are QC. Although it is a semantic point, it is indicative of the poor quality of testing that the department is not even correctly named. Can I ask - are SI or SEGA ISO9001 certified?

ISO9001 is more of a business assessment standard, it doesn't really reflect much on what we do however we are currently looking at getting our team onto ISTQB/ISEB courses which are more software orientated.

I can't speak for SEGA on this but that's what is happening our end, also because of recent events we are re-assessing. and have been for a while, how things are done.

• Administrators

Personally I carry on playing my old saves (I've still got a save I started on 11.0) all the way through, but for the most realistic experience (with updated transfers/league and competition rules) you have to start a new game. Entirely up to you really. :)

ISO9001 is more of a business assessment standard, it doesn't really reflect much on what we do however we are currently looking at getting our team onto ISTQB/ISEB courses which are more software orientated.

I can't speak for SEGA on this but that's what is happening our end, also because of recent events we are re-assessing. and have been for a while, how things are done.

Thanks Steve. Like I said, I don't have much experience with software testing and industry specific certs and courses would be beyond me.

Interesting to see that the QC functions may be improved. I'm hoping that part of this will be the sourcing of an external, independent software QC contractor (if this isn't already done). I don't know how these things work in the software industry and it may be risky ground re protecting your code but the impact would be invaluable.

Archived