Official Patch 11.2 Feedback thread

This feels like we're using a free software and we should be grateful for what we're getting. Steam will update your game even if you disable the updates and SI is taking no responsibility for it. More than that, if God forbid you're asking for help you will be subject of retaliation.

Just forget you actually paid for this product, and behave!!!!

That is garbage. SI have been helpful in this thread.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay for ANYONE HAVING BYTESHIELD ISSUES (In regards to activation when patching up to 11.2):

Do the following:

Uninstall your game

Reinstall and activate

Go here - http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=patches

Download the 11.1.1 patch for Byteshield versions

Install that patch

Once installed go back to the same link and download the 11.2 patch for Byteshield versions

Install that patch

You should now be able to run the game in the 11.2 patch.

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Messaged you earlier to say its not working, but just realised the 11.1.1 patch was different to the one i downloaded before, is working, thanks!

Thanks Steve. Like I said, I don't have much experience with software testing and industry specific certs and courses would be beyond me.

Interesting to see that the QC functions may be improved. I'm hoping that part of this will be the sourcing of an external, independent software QC contractor (if this isn't already done). I don't know how these things work in the software industry and it may be risky ground re protecting your code but the impact would be invaluable.

I've actually worked with a few external test houses those before and quite often they can be a nightmare as, like the courses before, a lot of them are functionality rather than game play orientated, so they'd just be making sure everything is working but not really how well they were working within the context of the game itself.

However, the positive of something like that is that it might give the internal testers more time to actually look at the game rather than doing functional stuff. But as I said everything is being assessed at the moment.

But putting FM aside has made my life unlivable... ;)

Seriously, assuming they get the Polish issue straightened out, if there is a Steam user who doesn't go Steam > Library > right-click FM 2011 > Properties > Updates and change the option to "Do not automatically update this game." is just asking for this to happen again someday. Indeed, SI should (IMO) petition Valve to have this set as the default setting...

Just had to respond to this...

Why should Valve set their defaults to not auto update? To cover for a developer when they let a big bug out in a patch? That's just plain silly to be honest.

Steams auto updating is half the appeal, I don't have to manage the updating on all my games steam just handles it as they come out. A bad patch has nothing to do with steam.

I'm not trying to ride SI on this, I said my piece in this thread already and think it's a poor patch in some ways, but as for the Polish league issue, everyone knows it's a huge drop of the ball from SI, even they admit it's a terrible thing that they let it out.

But if your first thought is to turn off auto updating, or SI wants to petition to change the default, then it just means you and SI themselves have -ZERO- confidence in their patches. If that's the case then we all better play something else, because if SI can't trust their own patches then the game is in trouble indeed.

In a way this bug coming out could be a good thing, because it was actually a game breaking issue for many and how plainly public it was then SI might just increase their efforts in testing and bug fixing outside the 'main' leagues. Well it would be good if it meant a bigger team to test and fix, but it won't, just means the poor guys are going to have to work twice as hard.

What should happen is this shows management 'Wow, we aren't doing a good enough job, how do we do better next time? Are we understaffed?'. But that's no reality in today's business world. A few people got a stern talking to and they are going to expand their testing with not enough people to test the game as is. The simple fact is the game is too big and too deep for the testers and devs to manage without more numbers. That's exactly the reason why a league like the MLS gets so little attention, or why a game breaking bug with the Polish leagues get's released in a patch.

Hopefully this is fixed soon, I just went through a joke of a process uninstalling the game from steam, only to reinstall it on steam and it automatically installed the patches, rather than installing the game, then installing the patches additionally. So I ended up wasting about 6 hours of my life for no reason..

Yay, fixed!

Archived