How to Play FM: A (Very) Short Guide to Match Preparation, Strategies and Motivation

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I myself usually just use the shouts to change things. The strategy from "control" to "attack" for example, along with any more specific shouts that I feel will benefit.

Changing formation or tactic during a match is more of a last resort for me, because I feel comfortable I can change enough through the shouts, to make a difference.

Excellent. Yet another question: (btw, should these be here or elsewhere?)

Regarding shouts. I am constantly seeing that we are missing too many easy passes. What shout deals with that? (already sounds like it belongs in stupid questions thread that I can't find :D)

Excellent. Yet another question: (btw, should these be here or elsewhere?)

Regarding shouts. I am constantly seeing that we are missing too many easy passes. What shout deals with that? (already sounds like it belongs in stupid questions thread that I can't find :D)

I get this from the assman early in games a lot. For me it suggests my players are too far apart and don't have time to think. so my first shout is to go more narrow. Then, when I'm sure the oppo strikers aren't too nippy, I'll push the D-line up. I could have started by 'taking a breather' and slowing the tempo but it's my personal preference to ping the ball about. In short, those are the 3 shouts you should be considering in response to that comment.

Another question: If a tactic reaches fluid in the match prep area and you remove it, will it go down again? I am guessing the answer is yes. But should you then leave it there and put in another tactic you want to use with the idea of getting 3 tactics to fluid?

At the moment, I've got a "winter" 4-4-2, a "summer" 4-4-2 and a general 4-2-3-1 in the match preparation slots.

The "summer" 4-4-2 was what I started out with, but made some team settings changes to handle bad pitches and weather for the "winter" 4-4-2. All the player roles and positions are the same, so it was almost fully fluid apart from three bars, which were reflective of the team settings changes I had made.

Essentially, the further you move away from your fully fluid tactic, the more players need to adapt to another. To me, it's worth keeping up to three tactics in the match preparation slots so that players remain familiar with them. In very little time, having already become fully fluid with my 4-4-2 "summer" system, my team is fluid with the other two systems.

what im finding after playing a few seasons is that at home play atatcking strategey and away defensive, anything other than that in away games ill get annihlated even if im favourites to win/have the better team, it feels at times that you cant play in your own way, or bring your own tactical ideas to the game, you just get punished for it. im forced to play in some boring scripted way every season. i really disagree with having to play defensivley against a side thats a lot worse than me, anyone else experieinced similar?

I don't like how this works. Personally, I believe strategies should be contained within the formation, with all variants being trained as part of the system. I think the current method limits match dynamism, which is a misstep in development. I'd accept that changing playing styles should change the familiarity, but not match strategies, which should be fluid. I just use standard and shift up and down in matches.

The fact that this isn't taken into account is just mindblowing. On the whole FM11 is very solid, but "details" like this takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.

what im finding after playing a few seasons is that at home play atatcking strategey and away defensive, anything other than that in away games ill get annihlated even if im favourites to win/have the better team, it feels at times that you cant play in your own way, or bring your own tactical ideas to the game, you just get punished for it. im forced to play in some boring scripted way every season. i really disagree with having to play defensivley against a side thats a lot worse than me, anyone else experieinced similar?

what systems do you use?

as i said in the other post, anything above defensive in away games id lose, basically attacking/control at home and defensive away.

I find starting with defensive away seems to be putting me under alot of pressure. Not sure if that means i should be playing more attacking or more defensive, as i've started with contain a few times and seems to keep things tight

• 2 weeks later...

Also - wwfan and heathxxx, I wonder, when you chaps set your teams up do you ever use the sliders to amend your starting tactic?

The most success I've had on this version - and particularly the last one - was by using the TC and then making slight amendments with the sliders, i.e always playing with the same width and tempo regardless of the strategy. As yet I've had little luck using the TC and strategy etc only, but I haven't tested as much as I would like. Hence why I'm curious if you ever use the sliders?

I never manually adjust the sliders. The only manual setting I ever make is goalkeeper distribution if the GK can't throw or kick.

The only time I've touched the sliders, was in my last game.

My Telford side had been crippled by a vicious Torquay side (70's Leeds in disguise!) and through injuries, had to play the last half-hour with only nine men. We were at 2-2 but managed to get a winner in the 90th minute to make it 3-2. I immediately paused the match, went to tactics, "advanced", ticked the time-wasting slider and slid it all the way to maximum!! :p

Other than that, all I use is the TC and shouts. I don't touch the keeper settings for distribution either, although the points wwfan made are ones worth taking note of if your keeper has poor kicking and throwing. I tend to have certain types of players I always tend to look for and the quality of a goalkeeper's distribution is just one of those things I don't compromise on.

Simply put, even though I was always comfortable enough with the sliders, since the Tactics Creator and Touchline Shouts were introduced, I really can't be bothered messing around with sliders. The interface for me is easy to use and I feel that I instantly understand all the descriptive options available.

Certainly, there are possibilities to fine tune tactical settings for individual players with the sliders, but as I tend to build my squads around any given tactic I've created, rather than build a tactic around a team of players, I'm doing things the other way around.

Thanks for your replies. As I mention in my post above I had consistent success (albeit at the 'highest level') when I manually made my team play narrow and slow, but they probably got better over time through tactical consistency - which the Match Prep and using the same strategy over and over will do in the TC - so I just need to persevere I reckon.

I try to keep within the spirit of the game. As such, for FM10 I never touched the sliders. For FM11, however, when my assman in the backroom recommend playing a deep/high D-line, quick/slow tempo etc I follow his advice by tweaking the sliders.

You could have used the Shouts "Retain Possession"/"Get Ball Forward" for the Tempo and "Drop Deeper"/"Push Higher" for the Defensive Line perhaps? That's what I tend to do and the difference is big usually. :thup:

[*]Long odds favourite: Patience may be needed as the opposition will invariably sit deep

[*]Favourites at home: Take advantage of the home crowd backing and hit them early

[*]Favourites away: Control possession until heads drop

[*]Close odds: Don't take too many early risks

[*]Poor odds: Try to frustrate and hit on the break

[*]Terrible odds: Try to frustrate and silence the home crowd

can you explain a bit more

[*]Long odds favourite: Patience may be needed as the opposition will invariably sit deep

[*]Favourites at home: Take advantage of the home crowd backing and hit them early

[*]Favourites away: Control possession until heads drop

[*]Close odds: Don't take too many early risks

[*]Poor odds: Try to frustrate and hit on the break

[*]Terrible odds: Try to frustrate and silence the home crowd

can you explain a bit more

As in the OP: Please note, this is my base logic and is not the only way of approaching these matches. You might be more aggressive or more cautious than I am and have different ideas on how to counter these variables. The important thing is that you have some type of logical plan.

My point being: don't try to copy my way or any other way of play. Devise a logical plan in order to cope with these different scenarios that you are happy with and stick to it. If the plan is coherent than success will follow. Obviously, the better a side you are, the less strategic variations you will require as you will never be a heavy favourite to lose (although the added pressure and demanding personality types of top level players may require you to improve your man and media management skills). Once you have reached that level, it becomes more about developing a style of play you are happy with (think adjustments, roles and shouts) than having to change strategies all the time. This style could be a fluid, short passing, creative masterpiece, a disciplined, direct, percentage-focused powerhouse, a hard-tackling, long-ball, Crazy Gang nightmare or, indeed, any system that may take your fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with wwfan - the game really does reward coherence. If you ask poor technical players to implement a Barca/Arsenal style game it will fail. Unless you have a strong forward who is good in the air you cannot effectively play a direct game with wingers. You can't play a high backline without a pressing game and at least some recovery speed. Your individual actions have to add up to a coherent strategy within the principles you define. There are no absolute rights and wrongs. I always think of the game as avoiding the 999 different ways you can lose/fail rather than trying to find the one absolute path to success.

So the slider on match preparation has an impact on the focus areas, for exp there is a difference between attacking movement when the slider is on low and attacking movement when the slider is on high?

I though that it only influences the fluency of your formation and tactics.

So the slider on match preparation has an impact on the focus areas, for exp there is a difference between attacking movement when the slider is on low and attacking movement when the slider is on high?

I though that it only influences the fluency of your formation and tactics.

No one knows? Come on i need to play this game give me an answer :)

This is the kind of post that 'newbies' require! I dont need to know how to win 7-4 at home, in the wind, with youth players (you do get random posts like that!). Very well done sir. I'l give suggestions a go and see what happens. Ps if there is a quick fix to avoid drawing 1-1 46 times a season I would love some insight! G.

I have nothing great to add to this thread, I'm no tactical genius and I will not give any secret to win everything in FM. I just want to say that your thread along with heathxxx's thread are the most realistic approaches to the game. Since last year's edition I haven't looked back at sliders. I stoped trying to understand what each slider does and stoped downloading "miracle" tactics. I played my own way and managed to win the great european competitions with teams like Juventus, Bayern and Villareal (this year though I can't go any further than first season, I win the league and I start again). With the TC and all the tools available in the game theses days you can be extraordinary in FM in a simple way.

And this thread is a great help for all of those who strugle to know what to do. Obviously you have to apply your own knowledge and reading of the ME, but this is a good guide to start knowing what you shoul do.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure when is the best time to change your match preperation and if it actually matters ie I wonder if you can have it set to Team Blend all the time then just before a match set it to say Attacking Movement then still get the benefits.

Currently what I do is:

Pre-Season = Team Blen

If I am going to play attacking = Attacking Movement

If I am counter attacking ( Teams who keep posession ) = Defensive Postioning

I don't use these ones really but if I do:

Close Matches = Attacking Set Pieces

Matches I expect to lose - Defensive Set Pieces

I am unsure as to what real bonus match prep brings but i wont the treble in my first season with rangers currently what I do is set my team to team blend then when I get scout report I switch to something else following the above process.

What I would like to know is if I can leave Team Blen on all the way to just before kick off then set my team to say attacking movement and still get the same benifits?

• 3 weeks later...
I never manually adjust the sliders. The only manual setting I ever make is goalkeeper distribution if the GK can't throw or kick.

Sorry, can I just clarify - do you mean you don't set any sliders manually when creating your tactic (i.e. leave everything at default, allowing the shouts and strategies to have 100% effect), or do you just mean that you don't manually change sliders while in a match?

If the latter, which sliders do you set manually when creating a tactic, and which do you leave at default?

Good guide this, and especially helpful to read some of the practical examples. Cheers.

He means he chooses Player Roles, Team Instructions that kinda thing but doesn't change any Sliders at all, leaves it to the Tactics Creator which is a good way once you know what affects what, have a read of Tactical Theorems if you don't! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Mate do we use the specific match prep the day before the game? Or during the build up? 3,4,5 days or whatever days before the game. I use team blend during the week, and day before game I choose the right match prep. Is that the right way?

Mate do we use the specific match prep the day before the game? Or during the build up? 3,4,5 days or whatever days before the game. I use team blend during the week, and day before game I choose the right match prep. Is that the right way?

As far as I know, the only thing processed is the match preparation on the match day. You can't develop team blend, then use 'attacking movement' to get the match day boost. It is either / or, as Kierkegaard might say.

Thanks for the link wwfan. I think this quote was misinterpreted by myself and a few others on here.

The special focus selection in match preparation only applies to the next match and does not accumulate over time like the tactics you can prepare (the "team blend" focus being the lone exception, as team blends together in the long run and this focus will affect on it). You can basically think of it as something that will be worked on thoroughly just before the next match as the final preparation for that one particular match. So there is no difference if you change it 4 days or 1 day before a match.

So from this, whether I choose team blend or attacking set-pieces, it will only be calculated before a match. Although team blend can be "accumulated" over time, the days between matches does not count.

• 3 weeks later...

Then I dont really see the point in match prep then

If they wanted it to be a realistic feature, I would believe it would need to accumulate. For example, If im playing Chelsea away and Im Crewe, I would use defence positioning a week before the game, to prepare my team for the game.

I see no point in implementing this on match day.

I feel the same way Preveza, so you're not alone. ;)

The concept is good, but at the moment, the execution isn't what it could be. As such, I either leave it on "Team Blend" and low/very low once my team is "fluid" in all bars, or just go to the team settings menu and leave it all up to my excellent assistant manager.

(I always have an excellent assistant manager!) :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned or spoke about but it is normal for your formation bars to go from fluid to competent in pre-season?

I haven't changed a thing since the last game of the season against Millwall, not even changed the workload, any of my tactics, the focus area. Why would that happen? Very confused here, any sort of answer would be nice.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or spoke about but it is normal for your formation bars to go from fluid to competent in pre-season?

I haven't changed a thing since the last game of the season against Millwall, not even changed the workload, any of my tactics, the focus area. Why would that happen? Very confused here, any sort of answer would be nice.

For me that hapens too, maybe the players forget while they have their season break :p. Also of course, if you signed some new players, that will have an effect too.

Don't worr,y for myself, too....all bars of my formation go to the middle when players are coming back from holiday...(and before holiday, all my bars were at the top).

Bars progression is more quickly also than the first season so don't worry, players will recover their knowledge easier.

Archived