Quarter Final - Uruguay v Ghana, ITV1, 7.30pm - "A goal for all of Africa"

bomma

Quarter Final - Uruguay v Ghana, ITV1, 7.30pm

wc2010logo.png

uru.pngV gha.png

Venue

1183062_FULL-LND.jpg

Referee: Olegario Benquerenca (Portugal)

Assistants: Jose Cardinal and Bertino Miranda (Portugal)

Fourth official: Alberto Undiano (Spain)

Route to the last 8:

Uruguay

Uruguay 0-0 France

South Africa 0-3 Uruguay

Mexico 0-1 Uruguay

Uruguay 2-1 South Korea

Ghana

Serbia 0-1 Ghana

Ghana 1-1 Australia

Ghana 0-1 Germany

USA 1-2 Ghana (AET)

One booking from suspension

Uruguay

Fucile

Lugano

Victorino

Ghana

Addy

Annan

Tagoe

Players to watch

Luis Suarez v John Mensah

A veteran anchor at the back for Ghana, John Mensah will need to call on all of his experience to stop the speed and creativity of the Uruguay attack. The 23-year-old Ajax striker Suarez is technically adept and capable of scoring from anywhere around the box. Although the powerful Mensah should have the advantage in the air, he could well be challenged for pace on the counter-attack, though the potential return of Vorsah could provide him with significant assistance.

The stat

7 – Asamoah Gyan has scored seven goals for Ghana out of the 11 they have tallied in full international matches in 2010. Ayew, Boateng, Muntari and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie have claimed the others.

What they said

"They are fast, strong, and they have done well in other games, even against Germany," Diego Forlan, Uruguay forward.

"They have a great team, especially in attack. This is what we have to watch out for because they have players like Forlan and Suarez," Asamoah Gyan, Ghana striker.

Voice of the fans

"Both teams have impressed me. Ghana has shown speed and a great ability to pass. Their defence is not the best but their ability to fire an attack has shown. I think that the first side to score will win. In this case, Ghana will pull through," FIFA.com user OnTarget06.

The question

Can Ghana eclipse Cameroon's exploits in 1990 and Senegal's in 2002 to become the first African side in the last four? Or will the two-time champions Uruguayans keep their good run going in a tournament where the South American teams have been immensely difficult to beat?

MON GHANA

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends entirely on the result of NL-Brasil which team I'll be cheering for in this match. If Brasil win, mon Uruguay. If the Netherlands win, mon Ghana (I think we'll have less trouble with them).

Realistically, I can't look past Uruguay.

Yeah, I'm backing Uruguay heavily here. They're not blessed with a plethora of World Class players, perhaps, but they've got a great balance of strength and flair, and in Forlan and Suarez have two players capable of scoring against any defence.

The preview in the OP comes from FIFA.com, doesn't it? Bit funny they name Mensah as a player to watch, given his suspension for this fixture. :confused:[/Quote]

Not all of it. The route to the last 8 I did my self, and got the list of players who are one yellow card away from suspension from the BBC.

The rest, including pictures, is from FIFA.com

Not all of it. The route to the last 8 I did my self, and got the list of players who are one yellow card away from suspension from the BBC.

I really should have explained myself a bit clearer...

I didn't mean all of it, just the bit I - erroneously - referred to.

So I hope you don't think I implied that you just did a straight c+p job without putting anything in yourself, because that's not what I meant to say at all. :thup:

So I hope you don't think I implied that you just did a straight c+p job without putting anything in yourself, because that's not what I meant to say at all. :thup:

Not at all, mate. :thup:

I really should have explained myself a bit clearer...

I didn't mean all of it, just the bit I - erroneously - referred to.

Who cares man, its not like he's getting anything out of this topic.

Anyway, KP Boateng is fit for the game tonight :D

Who cares man, its not like he's getting anything out of this topic.

Anyway, KP Boateng is fit for the game tonight :D

I am getting something. I'm getting that there is a lot of Ghana love here :cool:

Muslera, Lugano, Fucile, Victorino, Cavani, Suarez, Forlan, Perez, M. Pereira, Arevalo Rios, A. Fernandez

Kingson, Sarpei, Gyan, Pantsil, Mensah, Annan, Inkoom, Muntari, Vorsah, Asamoah, Prince

Lugano, Fucile and Victorino on yellow for Uruguay.

Annan and Vorsah on yellow for Ghana. Tagoe and Addy on the bench with yellow. Jonathan and Ayew suspended.

mon Uruguay so I don't have to hear more patronising, cliche commentary from the ITV team. Don't really have a problem with Ghana and it's quite entertaining to watch Marcel, but this "Africa unite, goal for all Africa" is just irritating to listen to

Archived