Group B - Argentina v Nigeria, 15:00, BBC1

bomma

flag-of-argentina.png v Nigeria.png

Shocking image of the flag but can not be bothered to find another one. (That one is from Rhino btw)

Venue: Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Date: Saturday, 12 June 2010

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: BBC1, BBC HD and BBC Radio 5 live, live video and live text commentary on this website

TEAM NEWS

Argentina coach Diego Maradona is tipped to switch to a three-man attack to accommodate Carlos Tevez.

The Manchester City striker is likely to play alongside Gonzalo Higuain and Lionel Messi. Newcastle's Jonas Gutierrez is set to start on the right side of midfield but may have to fill in at right-back when the Argentines are under pressure.

Nigeria will be without Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel, who withdrew from the squad due to a knee problem. His place could go to Monaco youngster Lukman Haruna, who has impressed in warm-up games.

MATCH PREVIEW

Diego Maradona won his last cap against Nigeria at USA '94, so there is a certain symmetry in the Super Eagles again providing the opposition for his first World Cup match as Argentina coach. Maradona's playing pedigree is without question, but he is probably the least experienced of all the coaches in South Africa.

Just like during his playing days, Maradona seems to relish surprising and outwitting all comers, and he is expected to abandon 4-4-2 in favour of a three-man attack. That formation should suit Lionel Messi and accommodate Carlos Tevez. "Carlitos cannot be left out of the team. He is an idol of the people, more than me and Lionel Messi, so I read," Maradona says.

Only two months ago Maradona said Argentina would line up this summer as they did against Germany in March, using a pragmatic 4-4-2 formation featuring four centre-backs. Was Maradona trying to sell watching scouts a dummy, or has he simply had a last-minute change of heart? And if things don't go to plan at Ellis Park, how long before Maradona again opts to shuffle his pack? With Sergio Aguero & Diego Milito in the squad, he's not short of options.

The Argentine bench alone could be enough to give Nigeria defender Danny Shittu sleepless nights. He could start against the South Americans despite failing to make a single appearance for Bolton this season. The Super Eagles' preparations have been far from smooth, and the withdrawal of Chelsea's John Obi Mikel was a real blow. Coach Lars Lagerback took Sweden to the last 16 at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups but has his work cut out this summer.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- Argentina are unbeaten in their three previous full internationals against Nigeria. The South Americans met the Super Eagles in the group stages of the 1994 and 2002 World Cups, winning 2-1 and 1-0. They also drew 0-0 in the Confederations Cup in 1995.

- The Argentines beat Nigeria in the final of the 2005 Fifa Under-20 World Cup and the gold medal match at the 2008 Olympics. The Africans did get the better of the Albiceleste at the 1996 Olympics, winning 3-2 in the final.

ARGENTINA

- Diego Maradona won the last of his 91 caps against Nigeria at the 1994 World Cup. He subsequently failed a doping test and was sent home from the tournament.

- The last time Argentina lost their opening World Cup game was against African opposition in 1990, when Cameroon beat them 1-0 at the San Siro in Milan.

- Lionel Messi scored 47 times in 53 games for Barcelona in 2009/10, but netted only four goals in Argentina's 18 qualifying matches.

NIGERIA

- Lars Lagerback was in joint charge of Sweden at the 2002 World Cup. The Swedes drew 1-1 with Argentina in their final group game, a result that eliminated the South Americans.

- The Super Eagles were unbeaten in qualifying, although they only booked their spot in South Africa thanks to Obafemi Martins' late winner against Kenya in their final match.

- Nigeria are the only African side to have reached the last 16 twice - they did so at the 1994 and 1998 World Cups.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee:Wolfgang Stark (Germany)

Assistants: Jan-Hendrik Salver & Mike Pickel (both Germany)

Fourth official: Khalil Al Ghamdi (Saudi Arabia)

Stolen from the BBC but meh.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Messi, so him to score 3 please. But I despise Manodopa and most of the other diving playacting legkickers, so Nigeria to score 4 please :D

Well yes, though not as much as bomma with that Nigerian flag in the op. :D

I couldn't find a decent one, which was the same size as the Argentina flag.

Got a different one, the Nigerian one is bigger but hey ho.

I couldn't find a decent one, which was the same size as the Argentina flag.

Got a different one, the Nigerian one is bigger but hey ho.

I know mate, only pulling your leg. Good work on the replacement though.

He's there for his donkey work, used to stop opposition if they have a marauding full back. Let's be honest, Diego doesn't call up Esteban, so the Jonas thing should hardly surprise you.

Good point Hopey :D Very strange leaving him out that one as I would consider him to be better than Mascherano and less prone to moaning/getting stupid yellows/maybe reds.

Hoping Argentina don't do well in this World Cup mainly because it will all be about Maradona and not the players. He's an awful manager and it's about time they realised.

Going to miss most of this match, but will catch about 30mins of the 2nd half, if its anything like last time, then i dont mind.

I'd like to see Nigeria win this, but i just dont see it happening, im saying Argentina 3-1 Nigeria

Nigeria alwats raise their game for teams that are better than them and so although i think they will use it might not be the drubbing everyone expects. If a team is full of talent and skill but lacks organisation, Nigeria always seems to fair better with those than teams with decent ability but are well drilled.

Nigeria alwats raise their game for teams that are better than them and so although i think they will use it might not be the drubbing everyone expects. If a team is full of talent and skill but lacks organisation, Nigeria always seems to fair better with those than teams with decent ability but are well drilled.

Not in the last decade tbh.

Expect a good drubbing here.

Not in the last decade tbh.

Expect a good drubbing here.

Nigerias biggest defeat in the last decade is the 3 - 1 drubbing by Egypt at the Nations cup (well drilled team) before that was the 4 - 1 by denmark at France 98 (Another well drilled team). Oh and the 4 - 1 defeat (Friendly with untested players) to Ghana in London

Single goal loss to Argentina in 2002 when they last played. It is still a top 25 side and the crucial thing is not conceeding an early goal. If they settle then anything can happen.

Archived