These forums

It's always going to be like this when the game takes such a big step forward, people have so much more to moan about.

Hello again, well you may have noticed that I haven't been on that much, that is partly due to my internet problems but mostly to do with the state of this board at the moment. The one place I come to get away for an hour or two is cluttered with nonsense and idiotic posts, it is a good job I have this thread otherwise I wouldn't bother signing in.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in hope that if we help these new people, despite a lot of their initial attitude problems, they'll end up being productive members of the community.

On an unrelated rant note:

I just missed my bus home because my manager was talking to me about some random story. Now I've got to wait an hour before the next bus.

</rant>

I live in hope that if we help these new people, despite a lot of their initial attitude problems, they'll end up being productive members of the community.

On an unrelated rant note:

I just missed my bus home because my manager was talking to me about some random story. Now I've got to wait an hour before the next bus.

</rant>

We'll keep you company mate :D

I'm getting close to going on an infraction-inducing rant, you know. Partly it's because life is kicking me in the teeth a bit at the moment. But partly it's also because the place where I come to get away from it is descending into sheer crap. Why even bother anymore? Clearly searching the forum is beyond people. Clearly people want their own threads rather than to post in someone else's. Clearly people prefer to believe the game is just against them rather than countenance that they might be doing something wrong or that their team just isn't very good.

What you need is to summon up your creative streak, find a version of CM/FM that you most enjoy and start a story over in the FMS forum ;)

Mind you, I can't talk at the moment. My last story got abandoned over a month ago because of my frustrations with FM08, although I'm tempted to re-ignite it at least for one more attempt. If I ever buy my new laptop I'll hopefully get far more into the writing stories again because I can have the story open on my old laptop and the game on my new one so I can do both at the same time rather than having to constantly task switch and have whatever editor I am writing in cause FM to slow down monumentally because it doesn't like competition on my little laptop!

If I don't get myself in gear with either that story or a new one soon I'll start to feel like a fradulent visitor to the FMS Community thread which is where I usually slink off to at this time of year (well, all times of year, but almost exclusively there around the time of a new release).

Dude, something is seriously wrong if SI have got testers dealing with posts about the new patch...

SI have always had testers providing support on the boards. It is mostly in the Bugs forums, dealing with people's bugs etc. For the last couple of releases I have been in GQ, generally helping people out where possible and directing people to the right places (although a lot more this year). I am not here specifically to deal with patch questions, but so many people start new threads asking about patches without searching that I have to step in and deal with these threads before GQ becomes nothing but patch thread questions.

As I have already told you, we will tell you about the patch when we have information on it. Please stop wasting our time by asking about it constantly!

Excuse-moi!

"Please stop wasting our time by asking about it constantly!"

You have severe brain injury if you noticed me asking about release from YOU.

It really **** me off if someone closes me threads without rightful reason.

Nobody was asking about release from you or SI, we just wanted to discuss about it among ourself.

You just had to close those threads didnt you.

Any thread with 9.2 in it will be closed no matter what.

:(

Good, decent threads might get a chance to float rather than sink under all the crap. There's nothing more to be discussed about the 9.0.2 patch, it'll be released when it's ready and not before.

Why does another thread need to be kept open to discuss it?

Is there really any need to abuse me?

It's quite simple, we have no information on 9.2, and would rather people discussed the current game than speculated endlessly about the next patch. The threads were closed for the correct reason, and that is that threads asking or talking about the next patch are not currently appropriate. Yes, I had to close the threads because of the state of the boards. If I don't this place would quickly become a mess of duplicated patch threads. I'm sorry if it appears harsh but it needs to be done.

It's quite simple, we have no information on 9.2, and would rather people discussed the current game than speculated endlessly about the next patch. The threads were closed for the correct reason, and that is that threads asking or talking about the next patch are not currently appropriate. Yes, I had to close the threads because of the state of the boards. If I don't this place would quickly become a mess of duplicated patch threads. I'm sorry if it appears harsh but it needs to be done.

The threads are bad enough at the moment so if the mods left every thread open then there would be a problem. It is just a nightmare at the moment.

How about one major "next patch speculation" thread. It would be sticky of course.

But lot to speculate. :)

No there isn't.

Any issues with the game have already been outlined, probably countless times. So are saying you want to have a thread where you can speculate which issues will be fixed in the patch and which wont? If so then that's more pointless than the threads asking when the patch will be released.

I have a question which may or may not have been asked before, but:

Isn't it possible to have a filter on the new threads being created so that if the thread title contains a combination of "new patch" "9.2" or "9.0.2" that a pop up could advise the user to post in an existing thread (or not post at all)? This could obviously be applied to whatever the most likely cause of duplicate threads is, and could save the mods some time

NOTE: I'm a physics student, and I haven't programmed with anything but LabVIEW since second year, when I did some FORTRAN and IDL. I also swapped a class that would have taught me some webpage design for a plasma physics class, so if this is totally unrealisable I apologise

Isn't it possible to have a filter on the new threads being created so that if the thread title contains a combination of "new patch" "9.2" or "9.0.2" that a pop up could advise the user to post in an existing thread (or not post at all)? This could obviously be applied to whatever the most likely cause of duplicate threads is, and could save the mods some time

NOTE: I'm a physics student, and I haven't programmed with anything but LabVIEW since second year, when I did some FORTRAN and IDL. I also swapped a class that would have taught me some webpage design for a plasma physics class, so if this is totally unrealisable I apologise

It sounds good, but the problem is that if someone who is daft enough to post a "where is the 9.2 patch" thread and come up against the filter, they'll just call it "aaaagghh help meeee!" instead - I've seen that done loads of times just for attention. If anything, as it is at the moment, it's easier for the mods to spot the rubbish.

Excuse-moi!

"Please stop wasting our time by asking about it constantly!"

You have severe brain injury if you noticed me asking about release from YOU.

It really **** me off if someone closes me threads without rightful reason.

Nobody was asking about release from you or SI, we just wanted to discuss about it among ourself.

You just had to close those threads didnt you.

No, we didn't want to discuss it, nobody wanted to discuss it, people just want to know when it's out and what it's going to fix - speculation isn't useful to anyone at all. If you have a bug report search to see if it's already been raised, if not then post it in the bugs forum, if you don't have a new bug to report, play the game.

Talking about what the patch MIGHT fix, will not serve any purpose at all other than to turn into a massive whinge thread.

The tone of your posts is pointlessly childlike and aggressive, I'd personally appreciate it if you calmed down and posted like an adult in the future to enhance mine and several others internet experience.

It sounds good, but the problem is that if someone who is daft enough to post a "where is the 9.2 patch" thread and come up against the filter, they'll just call it "aaaagghh help meeee!" instead - I've seen that done loads of times just for attention. If anything, as it is at the moment, it's easier for the mods to spot the rubbish.

I'd suggest blocking that as well (or at least use it to make people use real words in their thread titles) but it'd never really work, I hadn't thought of that

Some sort of pop up warning before a post might help though, linking to the relevant threads at the top of the page?

I'd suggest blocking that as well (or at least use it to make people use real words in their thread titles) but it'd never really work, I hadn't thought of that

Some sort of pop up warning before a post might help though, linking to the relevant threads at the top of the page?

Maybe a simple English language GCSE question should pop-up to prove you're intelligent enough to post.

/me invokes godwins law

Nobody actually made the comparison yet....

Anyway, I'm off to play some football in the real world (well, 5-a-side). It's the last game of the season and we're playing the team ranked last in the league, could finish as high as third if results go our way :)

It's a lovely thought but any pop-up reminders etc. would at best be ignored. At worst anything that stopped people posting a question would create an exponentially higher number of of "WHYS IS SI CENSSORING ME? THEY ARE [insert Godwin's Law reference here]" threads. And Skorp's RSI would be even worse closing those down.

Excellent - another physicist AND Labview programmer on here (I'm sticking to basic DAQ at the moment as there are far better programmers than me around!). May I suggest that if you plan to stay in science you brush up on your Matlab and maybe work on your ActiveX and C++; take it from me that the ability to program your own drivers and do proper data manipulation is a a rare gift in Science.

Clicky......

It's a lovely thought but any pop-up reminders etc. would at best be ignored. At worst anything that stopped people posting a question would create an exponentially higher number of of "WHYS IS SI CENSSORING ME? THEY ARE [insert Godwin's Law reference here]" threads. And Skorp's RSI would be even worse closing those down.

Excellent - another physicist AND Labview programmer on here (I'm sticking to basic DAQ at the moment as there are far better programmers than me around!). May I suggest that if you plan to stay in science you brush up on your Matlab and maybe work on your ActiveX and C++; take it from me that the ability to program your own drivers and do proper data manipulation is a a rare gift in Science.

LabVIEW is ok, generally known around our labs as "programming duplo" but I agree with the need to learn Matlab as I'm sure I'll need it sooner or later. Probably something to consider for my 5th year if I have any free time

Re: canvey!!, I'd not seen that thread before or I'd have linked it myself, that's more or less exactly what I was thinking of. Shame it can't be put in, it'd be nice not to have to go looking so much for non patch/help me SI type threads (though the mods seem to be doing a good job of getting rid of them)

No! I'm awful at maths! Only got a C at GCSE. It was my lowest grade. I got two As in English.

There you go then...another reason why you should start writing FMS stories ;) If I can manage to pull off a story (or a beginning of one that crumbles into decay more usually!) that people read with my lack of English language talents (I can usually just about remember what a verb and a noun are at a push, but anything more complex is way over my head!) then anyone with 'A's in English can too :p

Another reason why we should use maths questions then ;)

You know you'd miss me if that happened! You know it!

There you go then...another reason why you should start writing FMS stories ;) If I can manage to pull off a story (or a beginning of one that crumbles into decay more usually!) that people read with my lack of English language talents (I can usually just about remember what a verb and a noun are at a push, but anything more complex is way over my head!) then anyone with 'A's in English can too :p

I did begin a story about two years ago. I was managing Dinamo Moscow and I quite enjoyed it. I think I called it "From Russia With Love". Unfortunately, I had to give it up because my Master's dissertation deadline became imminent. These days, I'm not sure I could dedicate the necessary time to a story.

You know you'd miss me if that happened! You know it!

I did begin a story about two years ago. I was managing Dinamo Moscow and I quite enjoyed it. I think I called it "From Russia With Love". Unfortunately, I had to give it up because my Master's dissertation deadline became imminent. These days, I'm not sure I could dedicate the necessary time to a story.

Neither do I - that's why all mine, apart from the one I started as a short story which ultimately became a very very long short story, end up getting abandoned, but I enjoy the starts at least even if I don't manage to follow through for very long :(

• SI Staff

I've (yet again) just had to delete a load of posts that have nothing at all to do with the forums or the topic at hand. Please keep it on-topic or this will end up being closed.

I've (yet again) just had to delete a load of posts that have nothing at all to do with the forums or the topic at hand. Please keep it on-topic or this will end up being closed.

Is there really any need to take that tone with us? A gentle reminder would have been enough.

Indeed Mike, i'm used to Ter's style of modding/posting, but I do find it a bit too abrasive at times. It feels like we really get on his nerves or something, which to be honest I couldn't care less about, but I rarely see the tone used in this thread used in other more irritating threads that deserve a response.

An example of what is wrong on these forums at times, surely it's the appointed moderators job(s) to choose what is and is not appropriate for the thread. I know they aren't employeed staff, but going over their heads to implement your own level of moderation makes the whole system look foolish and destroys consumer confidence, not to mention a lack of "friendly face".

Surely a professional hierachal system would decree that if you are unhappy with the level of moderation and posts in threads where appointed mods are posting themselves, that you would feedback to them what your expectations are then let them deal with the problem and knowing what to do in the future.

As part of the forum community I don't expect my opinion on these things to be listened to.

But as a paying customer, I expect a more customer friendly experience when dealing with official channels.

Well i've officially given up on trying to devise a tactic of my own for 09 and spent a majority of yesterday evening searching the tactics forum for tactics I like the look of. I'm using the knap tactic atm, and it seems to be producing nice football, the one twos in 3D look really good.

I'm slightly disappointed that I have resorted to downloading a tactic, but couldn't really care less if it's considered cheating or not, as long as it helps me enjoy a game that up until now i've found very frustrating.

As for the many "bugs" that have been mentioned, i've finished pre season without a single injury, haven't conceded a long shot, haven't scored a long shot, transfer fees look to be improved etc, but the post/bar does seem to be magnetic. I like the press conferences, but ass man feedback is shocking.

I've posted in here because, it doesn't need a new thread and there's not much point in adding to the dozens already created.

Does anyone know if Genie Scout is up and running for 09? I'd like to run a few of the tests I ran for 08 and hopefulyl get some interesting threads going asap.

So, what about these forums eh? :rolleyes:

Is there really any need to take that tone with us? A gentle reminder would have been enough.

I thought that was a gentle reminder though? He said "please"; I don't really see how it wasn't a gentle reminder?

Archived