These forums

I thought that was a gentle reminder though? He said "please"; I don't really see how it wasn't a gentle reminder?

Maybe you read it differently to me. He may have said please, but he still sounded mightily peed off.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GillsMan, there are a couple of my old threads that have been locked due to age, is there any chance I could get them reopened or would it be easier for me to just recreate them?

PS Like I said earlier, i'm kinda used to Ter's style, but it does seem that we get on his nerves even more than the more irritating threads on the forums atm.

I suppose "tone" is often lost in written text, so it's difficult to tell Ter's tone. It never comes across that way to me, but I understand what you're saying.

Nomis07, we don't tend to lock threads due to age afaik. Post the links here and I'll have a look at them. My preference would be for reopening over recreating them depending on circumstance and what the content is (if the threads have descended into arguing, I'm likely to leave it locked!) :D

I assumed that Ter's annoyance yesterday was down to the fact that the guys at SI towers will be really busy just now. However if that's the case then surely it would be easier on him and us if he left the modding to the dedicated mods. Gillsman & Neji do a brilliant job. (Not ignoring skorp - just figured he'd be busy too so no-one would mind if he went back to his day job for a bit.)

All that said sometimes Ter's style makes me feel totally unwelcome!

Why would he be annoyed just because SI are busy? It's a damn sight worse working for a company that's struggling for work and therefore is letting you go. The guys at SI have a dream job. I would imagine they love being busy.

This thread is up to > 4100 posts now anyway so modding it is a bit of a thankless task since I'd imagine less than 5% of those actually have anything useful to say related to the original post! After that it is just a case of degrees of irrelevance like in any other thread except here it is all contained in one thread so at least doesn't involve the creation of boat loads of inane threads cluttering the forum and hiding any important or useful threads.

not annoyed because he's busy, annoyed because he's to busy to be deleting post on here. feel like we are creating work for him!

oh and I agree, dream job..... id do it for free if I didnt have a mortgage to pay!

Tbf any thread with 4100 posts is likely to veer wildly off topic at times, but we usually get it back fairly soon and like you say glam at least its not drowning other important threads

This thread is up to > 4100 posts now anyway so modding it is a bit of a thankless task since I'd imagine less than 5% of those actually have anything useful to say related to the original post! After that it is just a case of degrees of irrelevance like in any other thread except here it is all contained in one thread so at least doesn't involve the creation of boat loads of inane threads cluttering the forum and hiding any important or useful threads.

You do have an annoying habit of making me think in a different way and opening my eyes to things I hadn't really thought of.

not annoyed because he's busy, annoyed because he's to busy to be deleting post on here. feel like we are creating work for him!

oh and I agree, dream job..... id do it for free if I didnt have a mortgage to pay!

Yeah, I get your point now. Although if he feels that way, I would suggest he focused on his work and let the mods do the modding! But this is just speculation.

There was a suggestion made the other day and skorp recommended posting in the wishlist thread, only for Ter to post directly afterwards saying no, don't post there, post your individual idea here (here as in GD, not this thread).

Mods publicly disagreeing with each other is a bit of a customer service faux pas.

There was a suggestion made the other day and skorp recommended posting in the wishlist thread, only for Ter to post directly afterwards saying no, don't post there, post your individual idea here (here as in GD, not this thread).

Mods publicly disagreeing with each other is a bit of a customer service faux pas.

Is Ter actually a moderator? I just don't see why moderating can't be left to the forum's assigned moderators.

Moderators are there to keep the forums in order, but its SI staff who actually have to read the threads and extract the useful suggestions and knowledge (I assume) so they are two totally different perspectives. Presumably SI staff give guidelines to mods as to how they want things organised in the forums, but in the case of a mod suggesting something should be posted in one thread and an SI staff member saying it should have its own thread it's not exactly a big issue.

I do agree though that SI staff deleting a small bunch of posts in a 4000+ post thread seems a bit excessive on the micro-management front, especially when this thread has mostly run its course in terms of new suggestions or thoughts on its original subject.

Edit: Mebee SI staff occasionally like to do a bit of moderating as a form of relaxation after hard hours of programming :p

Nomis07, we don't tend to lock threads due to age afaik. Post the links here and I'll have a look at them. My preference would be for reopening over recreating them depending on circumstance and what the content is (if the threads have descended into arguing, I'm likely to leave it locked!) :D

I just bumped one of them, the other has been closed in the forum switch, but i'm not sure if it's worth reopening http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=15994 upto you. I might just redo it tbh and add/delete a few ideas if that's ok.

Posted by Glyn

Completely different, if you actually read it.

The OP in that thread can go on holiday, their problem is that it automatically applies for jobs whilst on holiday.

Completely different from being unable to go on holiday at all.

Exactly the same, if you actually read the WHOLE thread.

There's about 5 people at the bottom who say they are having problems going on holiday.

Please read entire threads before quoting me and making me look like a fool.

Posted by Glyn

There's about 5 people at the bottom who say they are having problems going on holiday.

He did say that other people had admitted to the piracy holiday bugs and would be banned. He's now banned them.

Posted by Glyn

Had you ascertained, like I have had to do, that they were playing the full game or were you just questioning why they weren't banned?

I know you posted asking them, but didn't need to do that, I just checked their previous posts and it was obvious they weren't playing the demo. I did that in half an hour - you posted two days ago but didn't report it so that I (or another mod) could have done what I've done now. We can't read each and every thread, and recheck every subsequent post afterwards, we do rely a lot on users reporting things - why didn't you do that when you suspected they were pirates?

Yes, but the quality is variable (ie really petty stuff, frivolous reporting, etc.). We still also get quite a few where someone has pressed 'report' instead of 'reply'...

But they all get looked at to see where action is necessary.

However, so long as there's a good reason for doing so, we'd rather something be reported than not.

GillsMan, sorry to go on, but I don't want to step on your toes. Am I ok to duplicate that thread, but i'll be changing quite a lot of it?

Yeah, go for it, as long as the new thread you create has its own merits you'll have no probs.

Had you ascertained, like I have had to do, that they were playing the full game or were you just questioning why they weren't banned?

I know you posted asking them, but didn't need to do that, I just checked their previous posts and it was obvious they weren't playing the demo. I did that in half an hour - you posted two days ago but didn't report it so that I (or another mod) could have done what I've done now. We can't read each and every thread, and recheck every subsequent post afterwards, we do rely a lot on users reporting things - why didn't you do that when you suspected they were pirates?

Whether I reported it or not is a totally separate issue, I didn't feel that it was my obligation to use the report-post button especially as a member of staff had already replied in the thread. Although ultimately by posting the link to the thread, I did report it, without me they wouldn't be banned.

The issue that I posted above was that you made a general sweeping statement that everyone in the thread that I linked was suffering from a different issue. When it was clear that several of them were using a priated copy and were talking about a different issue entirely. You clearly realised your mistake afterwards by amending your post.

I’ve reported a few people as well, swearing is one of my gripes as there are children on these forums (and I know children swear, but as responsible adults we should try and maintain a standard), but also what gets me is the petty insults, I just don’t see the need.

I’ve also witnessed people reporting people and then posting things like, ‘enjoy your infraction’, which I think should earn an infraction straight away, it’s bad form. Otherwise people try and use the mods to get back at people.

Which I know they would never allow themselves to be used, but you know what I mean.

I’ve witnessed / had really positive experiences from the mods, I think they do a good job on these forums.

I’ve reported a few people as well, swearing is one of my gripes as there are children on these forums (and I know children swear, but as responsible adults we should try and maintain a standard), but also what gets me is the petty insults, I just don’t see the need.

I’ve also witnessed people reporting people and then posting things like, ‘enjoy your infraction’, which I think should earn an infraction straight away, it’s bad form. Otherwise people try and use the mods to get back at people.

Which I know they would never allow themselves to be used, but you know what I mean.

I’ve witnessed / had really positive experiences from the mods, I think they do a good job on these forums.

My remark was merely designed to point out what that guy's attitude was going to bring him. It was hardly infraction-worthy, given the way he was behaving towards me.

I would agree about the mods. Since dedicated mods were appointed to this forum, I would say it's improved a lot. People being directly rude and insulting to others has gone down markedly, which is very positive. There's been positive developments on OTF too. A lot more warnings are being dished out for rudeness or aggression, and the vast majority of posters behave pretty damn well these days.

• SI Staff
I suppose "tone" is often lost in written text, so it's difficult to tell Ter's tone. It never comes across that way to me, but I understand what you're saying.

I know in the past threads got auto-locked after a set period of time. I'm not sure if this is still the case but PM a mod and ask if it could be re-opened and if there are no reasons it can't then it will most likely be opened again.

Not everything should be posted in the wishlist though. That only really works for "My ideas for FM" posts where people post big lists of things like "improve transfers, better scouting" which aren't detailed at all. What we like (and what tends to get discussed around the office) are ideas about a specific thing / area in their own topic that we can send around a link to (and the resulting discussion) and discuss internally and note down the good parts for future fleshing out and design work. It's good to always have that link to go back to and maybe even the person dealing with it will post a couple of related questions in that thread. I know I certainly do.

Moderators are there to keep the forums in order, but its SI staff who actually have to read the threads and extract the useful suggestions and knowledge (I assume) so they are two totally different perspectives. Presumably SI staff give guidelines to mods as to how they want things organised in the forums, but in the case of a mod suggesting something should be posted in one thread and an SI staff member saying it should have its own thread it's not exactly a big issue.

I do agree though that SI staff deleting a small bunch of posts in a 4000+ post thread seems a bit excessive on the micro-management front, especially when this thread has mostly run its course in terms of new suggestions or thoughts on its original subject.

Edit: Mebee SI staff occasionally like to do a bit of moderating as a form of relaxation after hard hours of programming :p

Exactly. When someone comes in to look after the forums they are most likely going to have to read this thread and some good suggestions / points can often get lost if there is a lot of non-relevant stuff going on which is why we want to keep non-forum related posts to a minimum in here.

My remark was merely designed to point out what that guy's attitude was going to bring him. It was hardly infraction-worthy, given the way he was behaving towards me.

I would agree about the mods. Since dedicated mods were appointed to this forum, I would say it's improved a lot. People being directly rude and insulting to others has gone down markedly, which is very positive. There's been positive developments on OTF too. A lot more warnings are being dished out for rudeness or aggression, and the vast majority of posters behave pretty damn well these days.

Sorry I wasn't aiming my comment specifically at you. I agree that the person you're talking about was out of order.

But I still maintain that any sort of comments regarding getting somebody an infraction should be jumped on by the mods.

• SI Staff
Ter - where would be the best place to ask for a change in the patch? Its not a bug but in China the youth trial day occurs after the transfer deadline and I was going to ask if it can be moved to before the deadline.

Try posting here

What does tagged mean? I see a wee thing that says FM suggestion when you hover over it, but other than that I have no idea.

It means it's been meta tagged, so we can search through all "ideas" threads in one go. :thup:

I'm glad that thread got closed, an example of excellent modding from Gillsman imo.

I was really quite dissapointed by tomtuck's post as to me it seemed to be purposely provocative, especially the 'bumming' comment, in a thread that i felt was meant as just a bit of fun (and a welcome relief from the usual moaning and duplicated threads about at the moment).

Of course everyone is more than welcome to their own opinion and there was a genuine point hidden away somewhere in that post, but i felt that comment was the catalyst for the thread descending into a petty argument. That's when you end up with the abuse, which rightfully resulted in infractions, and ultimately the closing of a thread.

I think that sometimes people who feel they're the victim are not completely innocent themselves. Often it's not necessarily what you say but how you say it. I also hate that word 'fanboy' because there are many excellent regular posters in GQ who often unfairly get accused of being one just for disagreeing with others.

Anyway it's not my intention to re-ignite an argument and my comments aren't aimed at anyone specific (even tomtuck, who i'm sure is normally a valuable poster). Really i was just dissapointed to see a 'them vs us' argument arise from a light-hearted thread that would have died off in days anyway due to its lack of substance.

Archived