World Cup Betting Thread

TigerChris

Going by that, £10 (or higher amount) on each individual group winner would return a minimum of £89.80, and that takes into account if two of the bigger (odds on) groups let you down. (Germany, France). If they won their groups, could only be more money (assuming you get at least 6 of them correct).

Not bad tbh.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of group winners I posted this a week or so back on the betting thread:-

Group A – URUGUAY. Backed at 4.1 b/f (France are not the side they were and Uruguay look a side that will score goals. South Africa and Mexico look average so could group could come down to goal difference and they should score more than France.)

Group D – SERBIA. Backed at 4.5 b.f (Topped group with France and Romania, Zigic, Jovanovic, Krasic are dangerous attacking wise and Vidic, Ivanovic, Subotic are solid at the back). Germans are not the force they were.

Group F – SLOVAKIA. Backed at 8.6 b.f (One of the weakest groups in my opinion and Slovakia look a decent bet, they scored 22 goals in 10 and in a group could come down to results against NZ this might be handy. Hamsik has been impressive for Napoli and looks destined for bigger things and in Stanislav Šesták they have a player than can score goals.

Also took the following doubles and trebles. Uruguay 7/2, Serbia 10/3 & Slovakia 7/1

I have also looked at the groups and to win the groups I have taken 5 what I am calling “bankers”, if these don’t win the group then I am stuffed!

I am then betting 5 points on the “bankers”. If they win the group then I double my stake. I am then perming the other groups with the bankers + 2 "other" selections that I see contesting the top spot. This is is another 8 bets @ 1 point. Minimum return for all the favourites is 34 points and the maximum return 880 points!

"BANKERS"

ARGENTINA

HOLLAND

BRAZIL

SPAIN

ENGLAND

Then perming 8 bets of the "bankers" + from :-

FRANCE

URUGUAY

GERMANY

SERBIA

ITALY

SLOVAKIA

So

Bankers + GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY = 34.43

Bankers + GERMANY, URUGUAY, ITALY = 76.78

Bankers + FRANCE, SERBIA, ITALY = 82.75

Bankers + URUGUAY, SERBIA, ITALY = 182.85

Bankers + GERMANY, FRANCE, SLOVAKIA = 182.99

Bankers + GERMANY, URUGUAY, SLOVAKIA = 402.88

Bankers + FRANCE, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA = 400.42

Bankers + URUGUAY, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA = 880.17

I reckon Algeria could spring a surprise, at least from what i saw at the african nations

Their recent friendlies don't look very encouraging (lost 3-0 to Ireland and 3-0 to Serbia)

There are some good odds on African teams failing. 3.25 for Ghana finishing last in their group looks very tempting.

I think I quite like that because they're going to have such difficulties to score.

what makes you so confident that USA is going to beat the other two? slovenia beat Hiddink's Russia to the world cup and Algeria are a dangerous team on their own continent.

I think if USA lose to England and the other game doesn't end in a draw, the winner between Slovenia and Algeria will claim the 2nd spot.

And I also don't really worry too much about how teams perform during friendlies before the tournament, some teams don't even play friendlies and teams just use them for experimentation and tweaking.

Bets so far:

Spain to win it and Villa to top score @ 25/1 - £20 staked (since been cut to 18's)

Paraguay,Denmark,USA,Chile all to qualify @7.07 - £20 staked

Looking at:

Also am pretty much 90% decided to go on RVP e/w for golden boot.

Then Mexico to beat South Africa in first game.

Will definately be tight for the USA, playing England first not helped them either.

But just think they will do it against the other 2, whenever ive seen them play they have impressed me. Are stronger than Algeria and Slovenia for me but only just not a fair way.

On the topic of group winners I posted this a week or so back on the betting thread:-

Group A – URUGUAY. Backed at 4.1 b/f (France are not the side they were and Uruguay look a side that will score goals. South Africa and Mexico look average so could group could come down to goal difference and they should score more than France.)

Group D – SERBIA. Backed at 4.5 b.f (Topped group with France and Romania, Zigic, Jovanovic, Krasic are dangerous attacking wise and Vidic, Ivanovic, Subotic are solid at the back). Germans are not the force they were.

Group F – SLOVAKIA. Backed at 8.6 b.f (One of the weakest groups in my opinion and Slovakia look a decent bet, they scored 22 goals in 10 and in a group could come down to results against NZ this might be handy. Hamsik has been impressive for Napoli and looks destined for bigger things and in Stanislav Šesták they have a player than can score goals.

Also took the following doubles and trebles. Uruguay 7/2, Serbia 10/3 & Slovakia 7/1

I have also looked at the groups and to win the groups I have taken 5 what I am calling “bankers”, if these don’t win the group then I am stuffed!

I am then betting 5 points on the “bankers”. If they win the group then I double my stake. I am then perming the other groups with the bankers + 2 "other" selections that I see contesting the top spot. This is is another 8 bets @ 1 point. Minimum return for all the favourites is 34 points and the maximum return 880 points!

"BANKERS"

ARGENTINA

HOLLAND

BRAZIL

SPAIN

ENGLAND

Then perming 8 bets of the "bankers" + from :-

FRANCE

URUGUAY

GERMANY

SERBIA

ITALY

SLOVAKIA

So

Bankers + GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY = 34.43

Bankers + GERMANY, URUGUAY, ITALY = 76.78

Bankers + FRANCE, SERBIA, ITALY = 82.75

Bankers + URUGUAY, SERBIA, ITALY = 182.85

Bankers + GERMANY, FRANCE, SLOVAKIA = 182.99

Bankers + GERMANY, URUGUAY, SLOVAKIA = 402.88

Bankers + FRANCE, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA = 400.42

Bankers + URUGUAY, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA = 880.17

I like your style :thup:

Might put a couple of quid on each of those bets, and then just cross my fingers that the 5 bankers come home.

I like your style :thup:

Might put a couple of quid on each of those bets, and then just cross my fingers that the 5 bankers come home.

Thanks mate, as I said the bankers are the key to lock in profit and then hopefully a couple of outsiders !!

Top Scorers for their Country followed by odds on 888sport followed by Goals/Game

France

Anelka - 3.75 - 0.21875

Henry - 5.00 - 0.4214 ***** MOST LIKELY *****

Ribery - 6.00 - 0.1555

Mexico

Hernandez - 2.87 - 0.58333 **** MOST LIKELY ****

Guillermo Franco - 4.50 - 0.333333

Vela - 6.00 - 0.3214

Cuauhtemoc Blanco - 8.00 - 0.322

Uruguay

Forlan - 2.50 - 0.3870 ****MOST LIKELY****

Suarez - 3.40 - 0.3448

South Africa

Mphela - 3.50 - 0.3658 ****MOST LIKELY****

Parker - 3.75 - 0.3103

Argentina

Messi - 2.62 - 0.2954

Higuain - 3.50 - 0.60 (3 in 5)

Aguero - 8.00 - 0.3809

Unsure who would be in starting lineup?

Nigeria

Yakubu - 3.40 - 0.370

Martins - 3.75 - 0.53 ***MOST LIKELY***

USA

Donovan - 4.00 - 0.3414

Altidore - 4.00 - 0.36 ***MOST LIKELY***

Slovenia

Novakovic - 3.50 - 0.42 ***MOST LIKELY***

Serbia

Zigic - 4.00 - 0.35555 ****MOST LIKELY****

Pantelic - 5.50 - 0.1875

Australia

Cahill - 4.33 - 0.50 ****MOST LIKELY****

Kewell - 4.33 - 0.2888

Holland

Van Persie - 2.50 - 0.409 ****MOST LIKELY****

Kuyt - 6.00 - 0.238

Denmark

Bendtner - 2.75 - 0.343

Tomasson - 3.75 - 0.4634

Cameroon

Eto'o - 2.50 - 0.4583 ***MOST LIKELY***

Webo - 3.75 - 0.40

Paraguay

Roque Santa Cruz - 4.00 - 0.3088

Barrios - 4.00 - 1 (3 in 3)

South Korea

Park Chu Young - 3.75 - 0.3684 ***MOST LIKELY***

Ahn Jung-Hwan - 6.00 - 0.24

Brazil

Luis Fabiano - 2.62 - 0.6578 ***MOST LIKELY***

Kaka - 5.00 - 0.346

Robinho - 5.50 - 0.306

Portugal

Ronaldo - 2.37 - 0.3055

Liedson - 4.00 - 0.30

Almeida - 7.00 - 0.39285

Ivory Coast

Drogba - 2.50 - 0.6470 ***MOST LIKELY***

Kalou - 3.20 - 0.407

One Option:

I think I'm going to go with - Drogba, Fabiano, Park Chu Young, Eto'o, Van Persie, Cahill, Novakovic, Forlan, Hernandez, Henry, Zigic

£1 on the above returns £335,334

Safer Option:-

Hernandez, Novakovic, Zigic, Cahill, Van Persie, Park Chu Young, Fabiano, Drogba

£1 on the above returns £10730.71

Safest Option:-

Drogba, Fabiano, Van Persie, Cahill, Zigic, Novakovic, Hernandez

£1 on the above returns £2861.52

If he plays i'd back him all the way. Infact i'd back him to score a couple against North Korea even if that was the only game he played, not sure if it would be enough though.

What about Hernandez and Fabiano?

Yeah I'm thinking even if he doesn't play until Korea he could well get a Hatrick against Korea making him the top scorer as Ivory Coast are unlikely to score against Brazil or Portugal without him.

I think Fabiano and Hernandez are likely to play all games.

Gutted. Had a free £10 bet which I looked at 2 draws and thought hard about, was put of by Mexico's unpredictability and ended up losing a tenner of my own cash on FGS's, correct scorers and time of goals. Fuming.

Could do with Lampard scoring tomorrow. Any time. Gets me £30 odd.

Archived