How will South Africa handle hosting a WC?

Candre168

Let's have an open discussion about this.

South Africa are arguably the most "challenged" nation to ever hold a World Cup, from high crime rate to poor living standards. It's an honest question, how will South Africa cope with the millions of tourists?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Confederations Cup in 2009 worked fine there, but of course it's a much smaller event.

I expect them to increase the presence of police officers, and also to limit movement from/to more dangerous areas.

South Africa has hosted the following tournaments, all without any problems:

1. The African Cup of nations

2. The rugby World Cup

3. The 50 over Cricket World Cup

4. The cricket IPL tournament

5. The Confederations Cup

6. They have the rugby Super 14 and Tri-Nations tournament every year and every year cricket teams tour.

Never has there been a problem. So why would this year be different?

Or are you saying it because it is Africa?

2. The rugby World Cup

6. They have the rugby Super 14 and Tri-Nations tournament every year and every year cricket teams tour.

perhaps because it's much bigger?

2. The rugby World Cup

My cricket knowledge is shocking. I actually thought that was a World Cup for people aged 50 and over.

So is the feeling that only European countries and North America should host world cups? cause if the belief is that South Africa can't host it; why would a South American country be able to host it?

South American countries (and Mexico) have hosted it before without any issues, but it's pretty obvious that even if South Africa were the most violent/dangerous/whatever country ever, they would just take measures to prevent any serious issue from happening in the WC, and so there wouldn't be any problem.

Unfortunately normally when you hear news about foreign countries, it's almost always only the bad news, which give the impression those countries are less safe than they really are.

They'll be fine...

Today people are so overbearing...it's like everyone wants to be wrapped in cotton-wool!

I'm glad Togo got punished for withdrawing their team.

Every post of yours is just you talking utter **** every single time

It's the first world cup since 1990 (first one I can remember) where I had no wish to go over and be involved, just don't feel easy about the place and I wouldn't feel safe.

Every post of yours is just you talking utter **** every single time

It's the first world cup since 1990 (first one I can remember) where I had no wish to go over and be involved, just don't feel easy about the place and I wouldn't feel safe.

How so? As you just said you don't feel like SA is safe...why not? Because you saw some news pieces on TV? What exactly do you know about SA from experience?

As I said most people today want to be wrapped in cotton-wool when they go abroad...and you are a clear example of that someone.

If I ate up everything I saw on TV I would never have gone to Latin America due to fears of being kidnapped and made hostage or something... :D

I felt safer walking around at night in Bogota for example then walking at night around London.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there is no South Africa thread, will plonk this in here for the minute.

Full Bafana Bafana squad:

Goal Keepers: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Shu-Aib Walters (Maritzburg United), Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld, Germany), Moeneeb Joseph (Orlando Pirates).

Defenders: Matthew Booth (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siboniso Gaxa (Mamelodi Sundowns), Innocent Mdledle (Mamelodi Sundowns), Bongani Khumalo (Supersport United), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa, Israel), Aaron Mokoena (Portsmouth, England), Bryce Moon (PAOK, Greece), Anele Ngcongca (Racing Genk, Belgium), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows Lucas Thwala (Orlando Pirates).

Midfielders: Surprise Moriri (Mamelodi Sundowns), Franklin Cale (Mamelodi Sundowns), Lance Davids (Ajax Cape Town), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Fulham, England), Andile Jali (Orlando Pirates), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Reneilwe Letsholonyane (Kaizer Chiefs), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs), Thanduyise Khuboni (Golden Arrows), (Steven Pienaar (Everton, England), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan, Russia).

Strikers: Benni McCarthy (West Ham United, England), Katlego Mphela (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siyabonga Nomvete (Moroka Swallows), Bernard Parker (FC Twente, Holland).

I hope the World Cup is a big success and i'm sure it will be. I do think South Africa are suffering more scrutiny than any other nation before it. World Cups, Olympics etc. tend to improve Nations, particularly host Cities and this will be a great boost for their economy for a month.

How so? As you just said you don't feel like SA is safe...why not? Because you saw some news pieces on TV? What exactly do you know about SA from experience?

As I said most people today want to be wrapped in cotton-wool when they go abroad...and you are a clear example of that someone.

If I ate up everything I saw on TV I would never have gone to Latin America due to fears of being kidnapped and made hostage or something... :D

I felt safer walking around at night in Bogota for example then walking at night around London.

I went to Belgrade a couple of times to watch Wales a few years ago. People told me I was crazy and I would certainly be murdered. They gave me free sausage and shots of the local firewater, we were treated like kings! Though one guy did tell me that if his sister ever had sex with a black man he'd kill him and her. That was a bit weird.

I went to Belgrade a couple of times to watch Wales a few years ago. People told me I was crazy and I would certainly be murdered. They gave me free sausage and shots of the local firewater, we were treated like kings! Though one guy did tell me that if his sister ever had sex with a black man he'd kill him and her. That was a bit weird.

Awesome!:thup::D

Sounds like you had a massive amount of fun.

How did his sister get brought up in this conversation? Don't tell me he offered to introduce his sister to you? :D

One of the main threats will be the world press, who will no doubt be eager and ready to pounce on any kind of attacking or mugging for instance.

Hopefully South Africa will remove from anyone who do this kind of sensationalistic news the right to work there. It's not very democratic to do that, but this kind of press only gives the press as a whole a bad name. And for South Africa it will be good to improve their image, which that kind of media will prevent from happening.

Yeah - cricket and rugby may have gone well but neither of those two sports have the kind of global sensationalist following that football does, nor the popularity factor. It is, excuse the pun, a totally different ball game.

Awesome!:thup::D

Sounds like you had a massive amount of fun.

How did his sister get brought up in this conversation? Don't tell me he offered to introduce his sister to you? :D

I think I got quite bold and asked the guy what Serbs really thought of Croatians. I think I was explaining the English/Welsh thing. He said he didn't have a problem with Croats, that was all history. But then he did reel off a list of all the ethnicities he DID have a problem with.

I did not get to touch the sister. The thought of a huge Serbian breaking my kneecaps would have put me off my stroke anyway.

I think they will do a lot better than a lot of people and specifically the media are suggesting. That said I dont think it will be a silky smooth affair (like Germany 2006) and there will be issues along the way. Hopefully theres nothing that happens just before or right at the start of the tournament which then casts a shadow and ruins the spectacle.

You can just see it now that someone gets killed/seriously injured who just happens to be a football fan the night before the opening ceremony and the media will have a field day.

As long as they ban or greatly reduce the number of vuvuzelas in the stadiums, they'll be fine...

No way...:mad:

I think I got quite bold and asked the guy what Serbs really thought of Croatians. I think I was explaining the English/Welsh thing. He said he didn't have a problem with Croats, that was all history. But then he did reel off a list of all the ethnicities he DID have a problem with.

I did not get to touch the sister. The thought of a huge Serbian breaking my kneecaps would have put me off my stroke anyway.

:D

It will be great.

If you are going over looking for fights with other fans, I'd imagine you would get your **** pushed in by the riot police.

I don't think trouble is going to come from travelling fans if there is any. Far more likely to come from the locals.

I don't think trouble is going to come from travelling fans if there is any. Far more likely to come from the locals.

Ah...I saw a documentry about a years ago...lets just say that at every single sporting event of football Enguuurlund fans attended there has been mass brawls...from Italia 1990 to Germany 2006...;) Korea was the least quiet with only Korean Enguuurlund fans making up for the absence of brawls. :D

Locals my ass basically...it's always the travelling fans who cause the trouble see Turkey - Croatia fans in Austria/Switerland in Euro 2008.

Why are you aiming that at me with a safety wink? I'm not English.

I'm fully aware of what travelling fans are capable of. I see most problems occurring by the necessity of housing large amounts of travelling fans outside of the safer tourist areas of the country.

Why are you aiming that at me with a safety wink? I'm not English.

I'm fully aware of what travelling fans are capable of. I see most problems occurring by the necessity of housing large amounts of travelling fans outside of the safer tourist areas of the country.

I know your not English I have been around here long enough...:D

Archived