Wishlist: What you would like to see in future versions of the game. All 'list' ideas in here.

Originally posted by Dave C:

Not to p*** on your chips following your lengthy reply (which actually contains some total nonsense, but I can't be bothered with that right now), but no. Believe me, there's not a single person on these forums that has more in-depth critique of the game under his belt than me. So "realism" is not my reasoning.

My reasoning is very simple. How do you put difficulty levels in? Exactly what do you do that makes it "easier"? There isn't some underlying number in the game that sets difficulty, just hundreds of different parameters.

You would have to basically re-code the entire game twice over to create the realism levels. It's not a case of just ignoring tactics, giving a player loads of money etc. You have to make your human AI less reliant on you and the computer AI more stupid. Which means completely re-programming the game.

The time and effort required just isn't justified by any potential income growth. You'd waste all your coding time doing that, then not have time to improve anything else, so you'd lose a lot of your existing users. Any potential gains are therefore off-set.

It's nothing to do with concerns over the realism, its to do with concerns over what is actually useful and valid development. And for the volume of work required, difficulty levels don't cut the mustard, not when you can simply add feedback to give more help to new users.

First off, my chips are perfectly fine and don't need any sauce, thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif I don't mind that you don't agree with me or that I guessed incorrectly about your reasoning. It just reminded me of one of my chief complaints with the game and its loyal band of merry followers (myself included).

As to your reasoning for no difficulty levels:

Oh come on. Do you code? Having difficulty levels wouldn't be all that tough. I would like SI to comment on why they have never implemented them, and I'll place my bets on it having to do with realism rather than difficulty implementing. And, its just not a high priority.

Ordinarily I'd agree with the no-diff-levels approach for this type of game, seeing as there are (or should be) opportunities to increase difficulty already in the game by choosing difficult sides, making 'house rules' against using the Player Search, etc.., but this isn't an ordinary situation: As the game is, its simply too poorly documented or tutorial-ized and lacking in tactics feedback for the average user to make reasonable headway in improving their overall game.

The guesswork of Neonlights and WWFan in the Tactics section highlights the nearly impenetrable matrix of calculations that determine how tactics operate in the match engine. This isn't to say that it can't be done; That a lot of solid study of the game and digestion of online discussion will not allow one to improve. I'm suggesting that its simply too much to expect the average user to have the time or patience for that, and that consequently something should be done about it.

Ideally, I agree with you: Make the game easier to comprehend in these departments. A 'Match Analysis Engine' to point out to the user that their 'Forward Runs often and Hold the Ball Up commands are conflicting' (for example) would greatly benefit in this department. But ask a coder which is easier to do for a data-driven game: Make difficulty levels OR make data-analysis and delivery tools for the end user. I can tell you which I think would get done first! icon_rolleyes.gif

About what you can't be bothered replying to, but which you think is 'nonsense': The topic is what we each think would improve the game. We don't have to agree. I'd certainly enjoy hearing about why you disagree though icon14.gif

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, two small "fixes" for the for the "match menus" (or whatever they are called):

- When a player is substituted, make so not only his name is "greyed out" in the home/away stats screen, but also his stats.

- In the split view when you are showing the pitch, make so that you can see numbers on the players as you can when viewing the pitch in "full screen".

Here's one for "the board":

- When you e.g. let them know you feel that the clubs training facilites should be improved, don't just have them tell you how they agree (or don't agree), have them make up plans for this.

Then it could say in something like "the clubs training facilities will be improved during the summer", or "the clubs stadiums seating capacity is planned to be increased by 1200 seats sometime in the coming season", and stuff like that.

Sometimes it feels like they are promising stuff which never happens, this improvement to the "board-manager communication" would change that.

An improvement to scouting:

- Perhaps you could assign a scout to follow a player (or perhaps a club, or several players in one area), and have them follow the players development over some time.

"Young player blablabla has been making real progress in his technique lately, he might become a reallly good player for the club".

This could also work in another way:

- You ask the scout to go find you a "young midfield playmaker from Northern Europe, and he has six months to do it". He then goes to Northern Europe, finds some players who looks interesting (as it works now), but then instead of just recommending them to you right away, he follows a few of those players until the six months are over, and writes you a report on players he recommend.

I'm not really sure what the best way to do it would be, but I just think it would be really good if a scout would not just recommend you players "out of the blue", but instead watch them over a period of time and then recommend them.

I'm no computer programmer or mathmatician but from what I can gather the match engine is run on a series of calculations?

So for each difficulty level the player has more control over the amount the AI has to calculate.

For beginner levels you only offer basics in the tactics, training and add in extra bits so the backroom staff offer more advice in other areas that add to the complexety of the game.

Then as the levels go up the game player is in control of more of the different variables.

Surely this then makes a game for all. As you get more competent you can up the levels. The game play would increase ten fold.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that playing with a bigger team makes the game easier must be playing a different game to me.

Yes you have the ability to attract better players and money is easier to come by but that means nothing without having the understanding of training and tactics. Plus add into the equation the half time team talks and dealing with players morale and already your talking hours of trial and error or searching for advice on forums like these.

I love the game but have started to feel that to enjoy playing it I have to become some guru of the game. Sitting down for hours analising it. This is fine for those that love doing that and that have the time.

But I have a life away from this game and play it like many to act the fantasy of football management. I don't to have to put in the hours thay do and still have to pay £20+ for the joy.

• 1 month later...

My suggestions are based upon creating a more realistic transfer market.

-Better scouting/training/youth system would be a great improvement:

Big clubs should have a scouting network/infrastructure and all clubs should have an option to improve there network. It should be a very expensive upgrade, i'm talking about 100 million euro investments, that only pay of in a long period of time.

For example, IRL Ajax have a scouting/training infrastructure that allows them to get hold of the best talents in (South) Africa, and they invest money in clubs like Ajax Cape Town. As a manager/club you should be able to arrange contracts with satellite clubs to get certain advantages when you want to bring a talent from their clubs to your team. In exchange you invest money in their training/youth facilities.

-Some clubs have history of scouting in certain regions. It would be cool if they are better at scouting in these regions and much worse in others, unless they invest in the other regions.

For example PSV have attracted a lot of brazilian talents that became/ will become big players: romario, ronaldo, alex, gomes, robert

-Clubs have to protect their talents better, if they are financially able. Why sell your best talent for 1 million when they will be worth 5 in a year or two. Or they should atleast try to get future transfer percentage clauses.

-Experience should be a factor that affects the ratings of a player and their value aswell. Playing (well) in the champions league should give a boost to value and experience.

-Older players should be expensive because of their experience. In fm2006 older players are very cheap. As a result the transfers for older players are very unrealistic. They go to small clubs and play untill they are 38 or so.

-Loyal players should go back to their old club for a year or 2 and perhaps get a role in the club as non-player.

In my opinion this should make the transfer market more realistic and it's much more fun to play the game till 2015 or so.

i agree with josdekrosser the transfer market has 2 become more realistic also like a few peeps have already suggested the scounts need to be better, i got a scount to look at torres and he scouted torres in a match against real madrid which torres scored 2 winning goals to beat real 4-2 and my scout came back and said "he isnt good enough"

Dave C's assessment of the complexity of adding difficulty levels is spot on.

Where do you make it easier? The match engine? Training? Transfers? Morale?

Let's say the match engine. This contains thousands of individual calculations, so for every single one you have to alter the AI. It's taken 4 years or more to get one difficulty level right.

Training is similarly affected - there are many things that affect the calculations (training schemes, coaches stats, player determination, age). If young players get better quicker, you have to make sure old players still get worse, otherwise you upset the balance of the game and teams end up with an average age of 35!

Each section of the game has similar consequences to changes. Not forgetting that they have knock on effects to each other. The last 3 or 4 years of debugging would be worthless.

1. Scouts (realistic)

2. Manager (T.C.M Style buy your own house, car, own club etc.. If don't want this and ask why? where the money go to when we manage club?)

3. Ranks ( Roman Abramovich isn't chairman he's owner, so I think - Owner, Chairman, etc...

4. Finances ( T.C.M style borrow money, investment in bank, etc...

5. Stadium (Adding 3D stadium in game will bring new levels. T.C.M style add seats, etc...

6. Youth (T.C.M style, youth camps everywhere in the world like feeder club.

7. Leagues (More leagues outside europe, more english leagues like Kent League.)

8. Media (T.C.M style, after the match the media talk to you at Press Conference.

9. Money League (Like Real Madrid are now richest team in the world, then Man Utd etc...

10. Sponsorship (There should be sponsors for clubs and players like Beckham, he's got Adidas and etc...

Originally posted by Shah Gangster:

1. Scouts (realistic)

2. Manager (T.C.M Style buy your own house, car, own club etc.. If don't want this and ask why? where the money go to when we manage club?)

3. Ranks ( Roman Abramovich isn't chairman he's owner, so I think - Owner, Chairman, etc...

5. Stadium (Adding 3D stadium in game will bring new levels. T.C.M style add seats, etc...

7. Leagues (More leagues outside europe, more english leagues like Kent League.)

8. Media (T.C.M style, after the match the media talk to you at Press Conference.

9. Money League (Like Real Madrid are now richest team in the world, then Man Utd etc...

10. Sponsorship (There should be sponsors for clubs and players like Beckham, he's got Adidas and etc...

icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

1. Scouts (realistic)

1 is obvious and only number 6 is a particularly useful addition.

1. Scouts (realistic)

Hopefully they will be improved icon14.gif

Buy the sims icon13.gif

Situations such as those at Chelsea and Hearts need to be modelled more realistically, just putting Abramovich as Chairman and giving them a huge bank balance is a massive over-simplification and misrepresentation icon14.gif

Not the manager's job at all icon13.gif

Not really necessary icon13.gif

. Youth (T.C.M style, youth camps everywhere in the world like feeder club.

Don't really know what you mean by that, but I'm getting the feeling you have a think for TCM, maybe you should take Ackter's advice?

I don't think any more leagues are necessary or would add much to the game, certainly not the Kent league! icon13.gif

Maybe, but only after important games or it would be too repetitive, and I don't know what TCM style is...

Might be interesting to look at occasionally, btu again, not very important.

Who cares if it's Nike or Adidas or whichever other company? Just the fact that your club receives sponsorship is enough.

1. Scouts (realistic)

Very kind of you to mention those features... But we don't want a TCM style game, because in terms of actual football club management iit isn't actually that good.

Do what Ackter said.

1. Scouts (realistic)

1.Glad you put some thought into it icon_rolleyes.gif

2.Pointless

3.Yes, agreed, better modelling of board structures

4.Not the managers job

5.3D stadia pointless, cannot be done to sufficient depth and not the managers job

6.Youth needs work, but not anything like in TCM

7.The research is the issue

8.Expanded media is always welcome, but PCs get dull in games like this

9.Would be OK as an annual media piece

10.Pointless

if you say no.2 is stupid, where does money go to when we manage a club? When we were offer contract by club, we must have something to do with money like club use money to buy, sell etc...

No.4 we not doing this, club doing this.

No.5 we just ask chairman or owner to expansion stadium.

No.10 fake sponsorship or real

• SI Staff
Originally posted by hjfh:

I would like to see the following -

The Ryman Southern and Northern premiers.

Luton Town a good club.

Pre match team talks.

More to do with training, such as viewing players train to help your squad selection.

Other angles to view matches with, (CM is putting this into the game)

Less silly transfers, such as Manyoo signing Gudjohnson for 40million£.

That would all be nice!

hey mate if you have any things you fell should be looked at for next year drop me an E mail at addy in profile or post in Luton thread in data forum I'm always open for sensible suggestions to improve data

if you say no.2 is stupid, where does money go to when we manage a club? When we were offer contract by club, we must have something to do with money like club use money to buy, sell etc...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no no no no no nooooooooo noooooo nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I apologise, I've given up trying to argue against this logically, it's just such a bad, bad idea, there should be no need for argument.

I’d perhaps like SI to focus more on getting back the degree of playability that they’ve lost over time. Football Manager 2006’s a great game but it’s lost the pick up and play factor of its predecessors and one of the reasons why you’ve always had the market’s best managerial simulation is that you weren’t too realistic, don’t get me wrong here, realism is good but such features as not including a 3D match engine made the game original and inventive. I now feel there’s a growing sense of realism and can’t say I agree much with the half time talk feature etc. etc. The problem here is that there is now space in the market for a game of a similar nature to CM’s of yesteryear and sooner or later, it’s going to pop up, I personally think SI should try and concentrate on slimming down the game so that once more, you can play through seasons in mere days rather than weeks.

On another note, would be nice to see you going further down the league structures, especially with England.

No.4 we not doing this, club doing this.

No.5 we just ask chairman or owner to expansion stadium.

No.10 fake sponsorship or real

the manager wage is like a job security thing, more money you are earning with longer contract means its harder to get sacked

I’d perhaps like SI to focus more on getting back the degree of playability that they’ve lost over time. Football Manager 2006’s a great game but it’s lost the pick up and play factor of its predecessors and one of the reasons why you’ve always had the market’s best managerial simulation is that you weren’t too realistic, don’t get me wrong here, realism is good but such features as not including a 3D match engine made the game original and inventive. I now feel there’s a growing sense of realism and can’t say I agree much with the half time talk feature etc. etc. The problem here is that there is now space in the market for a game of a similar nature to CM’s of yesteryear and sooner or later, it’s going to pop up, I personally think SI should try and concentrate on slimming down the game so that once more, you can play through seasons in mere days rather than weeks.

If a game like one of the CM3 series was released now it would just seem dated, as great as the games were 5 years ago.

Ok, I'm stoppin argument now, I apologise if I offend anyone.

I don't think anyone was offended!

Originally posted by Rock'n'Roll Star:

On another note, would be nice to see you going further down the league structures, especially with England.

Please dont go 3D with FM

Originally posted by michaelfoster:

Scouting (Dave C model)

Feeder Clubs (if done right)

Clauses in manager contract

Buy & loan back option for player transfers

Taking staff with you when you move clubs

Move Stadiums (fake name for stadiums though)

These all sound good, and realtivly achievable for implementation. Improvements are what most people want as opposed to whole new features.

I don't like the idea of difficulty sliders, although I can see the appeal. I'd prefer to see an improved pointer system, with an improved ass man, also improved scouts would be central to this. The reason I would prefer this to sliders is because I want to learn how to use this game. Not by reading guides, but by playing it, even if it is with in game help.

I'd also like to see a better training academy aspect. You may even be able to start out as a coach there. I know I'll probably never see it, but being in charge of younger teams, with more emphasis on the training aspect, almost a side game, or make it into a tutorial.

Finally, a limited edition version. With a book, and a huge manual, and a big box and limited edition things!!!

1.Champions League ( Music Should Play when there standing in a line.)

2.Champions League ( players Should Enter Ground then go past each other shaking hands.)

3.National Football ( Should be the same as above, but National Anthems Instead.)

4.When Club Wins Trophy ( Possibly big pic of trophy fireworks going off behind, and your teams name on the trophy.

Thats All I can come up with for now,Game really good!

Originally posted by MEOW192005:

1.Champions League ( Music Should Play when there standing in a line.)

2.Champions League ( players Should Enter Ground then go past each other shaking hands.)

3.National Football ( Should be the same as above, but National Anthems Instead.)

4.When Club Wins Trophy ( Possibly big pic of trophy fireworks going off behind, and your teams name on the trophy.

Thats All I can come up with for now,Game really good!

If there is a god then those suggestions WILL NEVER be a reality in FM...

I think it would be nice if fm2007 had a match engine that run with same speed each game. Im sick and tired watching fantastic pre-season friendlies where the match engine runs like a dream, good pace and smooth like a baby's ass.

When it comes to normal league games the match engine runs around 20% slower taking away all the explosiveness.

I tried the "processing fixtures" feature that doesnt seem to have any effect on this problem.

I remember in previous versions of the game the user had an option to prevent any other games running in the background making sure that the pace of the match engine was optimal. Please bring that option back.

I remember in previous versions of the game the user had an option to prevent any other games running in the background making sure that the pace of the match engine was optimal. Please bring that option back.

You can still do that by setting processing fixtures to fastest. Only one or two games will be played whilst yours is happening.

If that doesn't work then you need to run less programs in the background or get a better PC!

Originally posted by happywill84:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I remember in previous versions of the game the user had an option to prevent any other games running in the background making sure that the pace of the match engine was optimal. Please bring that option back.

You can still do that by setting processing fixtures to fastest. Only one or two games will be played whilst yours is happening.

If that doesn't work then you need to run less programs in the background or get a better PC! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My PC has the power to produce explosive friendly matches so the problem is within the program.

When I set the processing fixture to fastest FM still play matches in the background. I conclude this because I can watch the "latest scores" of many other games that play at the same time. I simply want FM to include an option to pospone these matches while Im running my own match making sure it runs with the same speed as when I play friendlies.

I dont mind waiting for all the other matches being processed after my match is done.

That's odd. Match speeds on mine are fine in friendly and competitive matches, no slow down or anything like that, runs very smoothly. When I set processing fixtures to fastest I could only see a couple of other scores from the games on at the same time.

There must be something going on with your computer though, even when I had my old celeron 2ghz the 2d matches were quick and smooth.

Originally posted by happywill84:

That's odd. Match speeds on mine are fine in friendly and competitive matches, no slow down or anything like that, runs very smoothly. When I set processing fixtures to fastest I could only see a couple of other scores from the games on at the same time.

There must be something going on with your computer though, even when I had my old celeron 2ghz the 2d matches were quick and smooth.

Yeah... its weird. What about highlights from other games, do they also run smooth? Mine seems to be using fewer frames per sec. than in my own games.

i think that if SI make the with/without ball tactics then they should also make a home and away tactics screen(s) where both the home and away tactics could be set up at once so you didn't have to switch tactics before every match. i can't see this being a hard thing to develop into the game and i think it would be very beneficial.

also - and this is a minor thing - maybe a change of club presidents every now and then who can pump money in, take it away or leave the club running how it is going if they are happy with performances

How about the ability to become a reserve manager? FM already allows you to delegate your reserves to your own ass. man (generally useless at everything, however this has been mentioned countless times.) If you're a prominent manager in a lower league, then its quite plausible that a bigger club could hire you to look after the reserves.

Since all you're doing is picking a team, albeit not the top team, I don't think would be difficult to implement. Some nice features might be to be able to recommend players to the club's manager either to sign or to promote from your reserve team.

This would create some interesting decisions on career options. Is it better for a manager's career and profile to be assistant manager at say, Liverpool than manager of Hartlepool for example? I'm thinking of the situation at Leicester a few years back where they signed Micky Adams as assistant to the experienced Dave Bassett as I write this.

Although I think SI enabled Under 21 management at International level, I don't think being hired to look after a reserve (or U18 for that matter) side has been implemented yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, it might force SI to look at the role of the assistant in general, which,as has been previously noted, is of little benefit to the FM player as it stands.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ljc_21

i WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE MEDIA INTERACTION AFTER/BEFORE MATCHES

PRE MATCH TALKS

TAKING BACKROOM STAFF WHEN MOVE

IF ON A ROLLING CONTRACT OPTION TO REQUEST PERMANT CONTRACT

-My club diary idea implemented.

-Clubs more aware of their squads, what positions they need to strengthen.

-Improved scouting

-Player interaction

-Staff interaction

-Board interaction

-Fan interaction

-Media interaction

-Opposition player interaction

-Less money

-Tighter budgets

-Board aware of squad sizes

some great ideas on here! more interaction is definatley needed with players and staff.

One thing I would like to see is MANAGERS PLAYER OF THE YEAR where you can pick out a player that you believe preformed outstanding in that season/year.

This could involve the player thanking you and maybe other players having a PR saying 'Thinks the Manager has favorites among the players' ect ect

Maybe a rating for how much the media rate you as a manager or like you,which could result in them constantly houding you in the press on your decisions in the tranfer market and other things and if the like you them constantly putting your name forward for other job vacancies

sorry for the double post one idea is when you resign you can give reasons for leaving 'personal problems' 'dislike of a certain player who has too much power in the club ie shearer' even 'club isnt big enough to achieve success' and these would all go down on your mangerial C.V when you apply for other jobs

Archived