Anyone ever seen Manchester United relegated?

Just finished the 2017/18 season in FM09. Arsenal won, Liverpool took third, Chelsea sixth, and Man United eighth. Man U's value is around $360m US with a loan debt of nearly $1b US... Liverpool fares better, with a value around $531m and debts of only $66m. Chelsea are worth $310m with no debt, and Arsenal are valued at $873m with debts of $470m. I find it interesting that Liverpool and Chelsea have done well to pare down debts, whereas Man U and Arsenal's have only increased. Man U has been floating around 8th-10th place each year, but the rest of the traditional top four are usually still in Champions League play. Just like everyone said, they still field old players and don't buy anyone of true value. Arsenal under Liam Brady have become big spenders, and Liverpool spend just the right amount to find some good values.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have another 35+ years on this planet. I guarantee it happens before I'm gone. In 2000 You would of rolled your eyes at anyone saying Leeds would be in the 3rd level within 10 years. Nottingham Forest was king of the world in the 80s.

Hi I am an Arsenal fan and altho i would love it it will Never Ever happen.

Manchester United are too big a brand, club to be relegated. I know your bang on about Leeds and Forest and even Newcastle but in their hey day they were never as good as United are/were.

With the money invovled and spending power manu have they will NEVER go down.

All you on here slaggin me bout united, no i don't live in manc but i have been to see them yes and i'm going to the hull game next weekend so thats how much you lot know.

I love it only need to right one sentence and you all get wound up to f**k.

BELIEVE

it`s a well known fact there are more Man United fans everywhere but manchester as the people in manchester support man city stockport or oldham

i am NOT a manchester united fan, but i wish people stopped suggesting these ridiculous facts. how could you possibly know that? the last survey i read in the manchester area suggested that 64% of football followers in manchester (with some debate about what actually consititues "manchster") support the red side, unfortunately...

Why does it matter where you live and who you support?

I was born in London support Arsenal, My dad supports Arsenal and i now live in Cardiff?

Does that make me an un-true Gooner??

Course not, it's your home town team - albeit a very big town with many teams to choose from. I was always brought up supporting my home town team, the team in the city where i was born. I don't live there anymore as i had to move for work but i still do most of the games. It's about pride of the place you come from and not being afraid to show it. Unfortunately, thats something that some fans miss out on but i would never criticise anyone for supporting any team. In 20 years time the kids will all be wearing the next top team's jersey in the street anyway.

Course not, it's your home town team - albeit a very big town with many teams to choose from. I was always brought up supporting my home town team, the team in the city where i was born. I don't live there anymore as i had to move for work but i still do most of the games. It's about pride of the place you come from and not being afraid to show it. Unfortunately, thats something that some fans miss out on but i would never criticise anyone for supporting any team. In 20 years time the kids will all be wearing the next top team's jersey in the street anyway.

Man City blue is a dreadful colour aswell!!

Why does it matter where you live and who you support?

I was born in London support Arsenal, My dad supports Arsenal and i now live in Cardiff?

Does that make me an un-true Gooner??

No it doesn't but the people who have lived in London all there lives and then support Man U or Liverpool make me laugh. We all know success brings fans but look at Chelsea i know of atleast 4 people who were Man U 'supports' before the rusky came in a Chelsea and now they all support the men in blue. It has happen with Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc even teams like Spurs, Everton, Villa and Man City now get that kind of attention.

Anyway on subject i am in season 2015-16 and Man U had 9 points docked last season and finished 16th but still haven't still Rooney, Vidic, Carrick, Hargreaves, Ferdinand and the rest and they're all into there mid 30's and not upto standard expect Rooney who is now England captain.

Yeah, they seem to get pretty screwed up in FM09. Relegated around 2024 on mine, and came back up with a billionaire at the helm it seems.

All you on here slaggin me bout united, no i don't live in manc but i have been to see them yes and i'm going to the hull game next weekend so thats how much you lot know.

I love it only need to right one sentence and you all get wound up to f**k.

BELIEVE

Stop typing one word in capital letters for added effect. It's really annoying.

BANANAS.

I haven't seen Man Utd getting relegated, nor have I ever seen them going into administration for that matter, which with their loan payments for a few decades is really surprising. In FM09, however, I did see Liverpool getting relegated.

liverpool2068.png

Funny thing is that if they hadn't been docked 9 points for going into administration, it would have been Everton going down :D

To be fair to Liverpool, however, they did bounce right back up the following season

I can't imagine my beloved club Manchester United being relegated! It will be my worst nightmare!

Somehow I'm not sure that a big portion of the fanbase would remain intact (as it has for some other large clubs who have been relegated). They'd all support Man City and then only people who live in the city of Manchester would be said to support Man U.

I haven't seen Man Utd getting relegated, nor have I ever seen them going into administration for that matter, which with their loan payments for a few decades is really surprising. In FM09, however, I did see Liverpool getting relegated.

liverpool2068.png

Funny thing is that if they hadn't been docked 9 points for going into administration, it would have been Everton going down :D

To be fair to Liverpool, however, they did bounce right back up the following season

Let me guess, Benitez is still their manager? ;)

Somehow I'm not sure that a big portion of the fanbase would remain intact (as it has for some other large clubs who have been relegated). They'd all support Man City and then only people who live in the city of Manchester would be said to support Man U.

As i'm not a Man Utd fan i think it's only fair to point out that last time they got relegated they still had one of the highest attendances in Britain. I think, like Newcastle, most of their support would be retained but the corporate seats and the like would be empty.

Only once have I seen United relegated and that was ages ago on CM03/04. I think it was only 10 seasons in.

Liverpool went down in the same season.

But United bouned straight back up and started challenging Tottenham and Middlesbrough (the big 2 on that save) for the Premier League again within a couple seasons of promotion.

No it doesn't but the people who have lived in London all there lives and then support Man U or Liverpool make me laugh. We all know success brings fans but look at Chelsea i know of atleast 4 people who were Man U 'supports' before the rusky came in a Chelsea and now they all support the men in blue. It has happen with Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc even teams like Spurs, Everton, Villa and Man City now get that kind of attention.

Anyway on subject i am in season 2015-16 and Man U had 9 points docked last season and finished 16th but still haven't still Rooney, Vidic, Carrick, Hargreaves, Ferdinand and the rest and they're all into there mid 30's and not upto standard expect Rooney who is now England captain.

I'm curious to know what opinion you have of someone like me. I've lived in sydney my entire life, i've never been to england. In addition to supporting Sydney FC in the A-league i support Liverpool. Mainly because Harry Kewell was someone who I idolised growing up and after he moved to Liverpool i loved watching them play and i enjoyed the football a number of their players produced.

Granted Kewell had a rough time at Liverpool but i still support them because they are a good team although they've never won the premier league in my lifetime.

Anyway to stay on topic i haven't seen any of the big four relegated although if i play in england i play as liverpool. But i have seen Arsenal drop to being a mid-table team.

I'm curious to know what opinion you have of someone like me. I've lived in sydney my entire life, i've never been to england. In addition to supporting Sydney FC in the A-league i support Liverpool. Mainly because Harry Kewell was someone who I idolised growing up and after he moved to Liverpool i loved watching them play and i enjoyed the football a number of their players produced.

Granted Kewell had a rough time at Liverpool but i still support them because they are a good team although they've never won the premier league in my lifetime.

Anyway to stay on topic i haven't seen any of the big four relegated although if i play in england i play as liverpool. But i have seen Arsenal drop to being a mid-table team.

I'm Australian (Melbournian), never been to Britain and I support a League One side. My club has won one major trophy in its existence. Just because we live so far from the UK doesnt mean we HAVE to support big four clubs ;) Each to their own though.

I'm Australian (Melbournian), never been to Britain and I support a League One side. My club has won one major trophy in its existence. Just because we live so far from the UK doesnt mean we HAVE to support big four clubs ;) Each to their own though.

No, exactly. This whole "debate" was spurned because someone had said to me, "Your location says it all" (I live in the USA) as if it were an insult to my opinion on footballing matters. It's gotten a little out of hand because it doesn't really matter where you live. Sure, you should support where you come from, which is why I support my local side Real Salt Lake (MLS champions!) and Leeds, because my mother is from Morley. I'm also just a fan of the sport in general, so I favor teams all over the world.

Support who you want, but if you want to try insulting other people you should make sure you don't live in a glass house (or fit the stereotype that only non-Mancunians support Manchester United).

You support your local team. That's what people are getting at. There's nothing wrong with following another team aswell.

oh no i know that the reason why i support liverpool though mainly boils down to Kewell, had he decided to move to another club from Leeds i'd probably support them instead.

oh no i know that the reason why i support liverpool though mainly boils down to Kewell, had he decided to move to another club from Leeds i'd probably support them instead.

No worries, it doesn't matter...like I said each to their own. Good to see another Aussie on the forums though :)

Support who you want, but if you want to try insulting other people you should make sure you don't live in a glass house (or fit the stereotype that only non-Mancunians support Manchester United).

Errr...I wasn't insulting the lad. I personally don't like the fans of the big four but like I said each to their own. I'm only putting forward what I think.

Im not liked because I support Arsenal? this has turned into a small minded debate!

You can support anyone you want. I'm not losing sleep because you follow Arsenal, or because anyone follows a bigger club.

And you're right this has gone well off track.

I think that as the FM series has progressed, it has become a little more 'stable' regarding the positions of bigger clubs in long term saves. I remember it could take as little as 10 years for a 'bigger' club to fall, whereas now it might take longer, say 20 seasons. However there are cases of people seeing Liverpool relegated early in the game.

liverpool2068.png

Funny thing is that if they hadn't been docked 9 points for going into administration, it would have been Everton going down

Forget Liverpool being relegated, Rotherham managed to get to the Premiership and stay there! :thup::thup::thup:

Errr...I wasn't insulting the lad. I personally don't like the fans of the big four but like I said each to their own. I'm only putting forward what I think.

I wasn't directing that at you? And I don't care if you did insult him. By all means, insult any Man U fan you come across. To each their own. :)

Let me guess, Benitez is still their manager? ;)
Heh, if he was still manager by 2018 I'd be utterly shocked, let alone 2068 :D
Forget Liverpool being relegated, Rotherham managed to get to the Premiership and stay there!
Rotherham did very well in that game. Think they were a mid-Premiership team for about two decades :) Shrewsbury were a strong Premiership side as well, though that was certainly helped by Arsenal spending several million on their players every so often (see here). QPR got a sugar daddy while they were in the Championship and went on to get promoted and win six consecutive Premiership titles :eek: (see here)

I hope the links work. If not, linking to the posts themselves will definitely work.

I wasn't directing that at you? And I don't care if you did insult him. By all means, insult any Man U fan you come across. To each their own. :)

I see you said you support leeds, well its obvious you are just digging at man utd just coz they are rivals

No worries, it doesn't matter...like I said each to their own. Good to see another Aussie on the forums though :)

I'm another Aussie, from Perth (GLORY, GLORY PERTH GLORY!!!) and I support West Ham. Don't know why, I just do, and I'll be sticking with them 'til I die. I'm forever blowing bubbles...

To be completely honest though, when I was like 4, my aunty came back from England and gave me a Man Utd shirt with Beckham on the back, and pretty much convinced me to follow them. She moved back over the pond, and I ditched them and chose my own team. Stuck with the Irons since then (14 years).

I can see the point people in England make about choosing your local team (i.e, Londoners follow Arsenal/West Ham/Chelski), it's the same in Australian Rules Football (Perth have Fremantle and West Coast, Adelaide have the Crows and Port Adelaide etc.), but a team who you support is a team who you support. I don't think any amount of criticism is going to change that, and as long as they don't jump ship when their teams starts to fail, there isn't really a life threatening issue, right? This is coming from a Crows supporter that lives in Perth, has never been to Adelaide, and gets given **** for it. I wasn't chasing glory, I just didn't like my local teams.

Nope, the links don't work. And what do you mean by 'If not, linking to the posts themselves will definitely work.'?
They're uploaded on another forum, that's what I mean :p I figured leeching the images from there might be a bit iffy, but they're posted on a public forum so I'll just link to the posts themselves and you'll have no problem seeing them :)

Arsenal buying lots of Shrewsbury players: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21641024&postcount=6912

QPR winning 6 in a row: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18879550&postcount=5321

I'm another Aussie, from Perth (GLORY, GLORY PERTH GLORY!!!) and I support West Ham. Don't know why, I just do, and I'll be sticking with them 'til I die. I'm forever blowing bubbles...

To be completely honest though, when I was like 4, my aunty came back from England and gave me a Man Utd shirt with Beckham on the back, and pretty much convinced me to follow them. She moved back over the pond, and I ditched them and chose my own team. Stuck with the Irons since then (14 years).

I can see the point people in England make about choosing your local team (i.e, Londoners follow Arsenal/West Ham/Chelski), it's the same in Australian Rules Football (Perth have Fremantle and West Coast, Adelaide have the Crows and Port Adelaide etc.), but a team who you support is a team who you support. I don't think any amount of criticism is going to change that, and as long as they don't jump ship when their teams starts to fail, there isn't really a life threatening issue, right? This is coming from a Crows supporter that lives in Perth, has never been to Adelaide, and gets given **** for it. I wasn't chasing glory, I just didn't like my local teams.

Yep, exactly - hit the nail on the head. I'm living in Brisbane, and I support Man City.. does that make me a bad supporter just because I don't live in Manchester? I think, as long as you are happy following the team and you aren't just a band-wagon follower, then that is fine.

I support the Melbourne Demons as well in AFL, despite living in Brisbane. I think that's about as far away as you can get from being a band-wagoner.. ;)

Anyway, I am straying off-topic.. so I better get it back on track.. but no, Manchester United have never been relegated in one of my games. With that said, I haven't really played for too long in most of my games - most of my games only last about 5-6 seasons, with the exception of a few long-standing games. :)

Yep, exactly - hit the nail on the head. I'm living in Brisbane, and I support Man City.. does that make me a bad supporter just because I don't live in Manchester? I think, as long as you are happy following the team and you aren't just a band-wagon follower, then that is fine.

I support the Melbourne Demons as well in AFL, despite living in Brisbane. I think that's about as far away as you can get from being a band-wagoner.. ;)

Anyway, I am straying off-topic.. so I better get it back on track.. but no, Manchester United have never been relegated in one of my games. With that said, I haven't really played for too long in most of my games - most of my games only last about 5-6 seasons, with the exception of a few long-standing games. :)

Haha, the Demons, I truly feel for your loss. :p

And to keep my response on topic, I'm hoping Man Utd get relegated next season on my game. Their squad looks hopeless, off-loaded a lot of their younger and talented players to Spain, and have signed used ability. Man City are looking great, 3 points off the top, and the other usual title challengers are there abouts mid-way through this current season. :thup:

Archived