Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess he's talking about all the bookkeeping you have to do to make sure that you're within the required percentages of XXX players in your squad and such.

I've just started a save with NK Zagreb, and yes, it's a bit of a pain having to check the history of every single player to see if they arrived at the club before being 19 or not, but at least it only has to be done once at each club, and then work from there with each new signing or sale.

I'll post something in the thread once I finally get the game going for good. I think I'll need at least a full season to fulfill the second requirement of the Ajax way, though, so I guess any results obtained before that don't count for the challenge, right?

I would say that unless you start with a squad that completely doesn't fit the guidelines and no wage and transfer room, it should be doable by the end of the first season. It's the philosophy that matters, really, not the minute details. If you come in and bring in several youth prospects into your first team and manage to win the league in your first year there with a team that finished outside the European spots the season before, I would say go ahead and count it. That's why I made sure that the goals will take at least three years or so to achieve, to force a full implementation of policy over the time that you're there.

I would say that unless you start with a squad that completely doesn't fit the guidelines and no wage and transfer room, it should be doable by the end of the first season. It's the philosophy that matters, really, not the minute details. If you come in and bring in several youth prospects into your first team and manage to win the league in your first year there with a team that finished outside the European spots the season before, I would say go ahead and count it. That's why I made sure that the goals will take at least three years or so to achieve, to force a full implementation of policy over the time that you're there.

Duly noted. Things are better than I thought in NK Zagreb, though. After my first summer signings I'm at 13/30 for first team players arrived before being 19, so I'm almost there. A good youngster or two more plus a few sales and maybe I can be inside the range even before the season starts. Yay.

I guess he's talking about all the bookkeeping you have to do to make sure that you're within the required percentages of XXX players in your squad and such.

I've just started a save with NK Zagreb, and yes, it's a bit of a pain having to check the history of every single player to see if they arrived at the club before being 19 or not, but at least it only has to be done once at each club, and then work from there with each new signing or sale.

I'll post something in the thread once I finally get the game going for good. I think I'll need at least a full season to fulfill the second requirement of the Ajax way, though, so I guess any results obtained before that don't count for the challenge, right?

That's right, Dal. Mark, sorry about that ... I should have been either more or less specific. Not sure which :) It does seem to involve some record keeping but as Dal correctly notes, it does only have to be done once. Doesn't change the fact that it's a terrific idea and you should enter it in the challenge voting whenever I get around to posting it. :)

Mark, that challenge of yours looks brilliant. Incredibly frustrating, especially in the first months of each stage, but brilliant. I really quite fancy giving the Ajax path a go, although I'm not sure I could write along given the time being consumed by my Dynamo save. Might have to start one up in the near future and just play, somewhere in Scandinavia as a start seems tempting...

Henke would have it no other way, C_1967 :)

@ Evildave: Scandinavia is an absolute blast to manage in, I've found

@ Dalbeider: That would be exciting. You could always take your two best youth prospects and shooting them up to the first team, let them get some playing time at the end of sealed games like Ajax do ;)

@ 10-3: Will do :)

Looks like the Ajax path is most popular. Myself? I'm doing all three in a single save :p

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been lurking/reading for quite a while here and feel that I'm now ready to write a story of my own. As a newbie is there any kind of 'process' that I'm expected to go through before posting a story (i.e. should I wait and post in some of the discussion threads first), or is the floor open? Also, my story will focus on the politics and intrigue that go on 'behind the scenes' in running and managing a club as well as the results on the pitch, I assume that this is OK as long as the match results are the driving force behind the story (which they obviously will be).

Thanks for any advice.

As soon as you believe you are ready then go for it, Richard. I would advise just two things myself, as I know that others will chime in as they read your post.

1) Try to build up a backlog of posts so that you have something to post on the board when you haven't written for a period of time.

2) Pay attention to simple grammar such as correctly placed capitals and a paragraphed structure.

The others will add any advice to this. And there is no problem with focusing on the scenes behind a football club, no problem at all.

I've been lurking/reading for quite a while here and feel that I'm now ready to write a story of my own.

As a newbie is there any kind of 'process' that I'm expected to go through before posting a story

Yes. Read the forum rules in the stickies first. That's pretty much it. If you need constructive criticism in your writing and don't mind if we give our ten cents' worth, you'll get it over time. Good luck.

Hello all,

I've been lurking/reading for quite a while here and feel that I'm now ready to write a story of my own. As a newbie is there any kind of 'process' that I'm expected to go through before posting a story (i.e. should I wait and post in some of the discussion threads first), or is the floor open? Also, my story will focus on the politics and intrigue that go on 'behind the scenes' in running and managing a club as well as the results on the pitch, I assume that this is OK as long as the match results are the driving force behind the story (which they obviously will be).

Thanks for any advice.

Don't worry, the initiation ceremony isn't painful. At least.. not too painful...

Thanks for the advice, and yes, any and all constructive criticism is welcome, I can only (really) get better if I'm told what I'm doing wrong.

That's the spirit Richard. We are, generally speaking, a friendly bunch here, especially if you follow the advice of gavrenwick and tenthree...........

My advice is enjoy it, and don't worry if comments don't come thick and fast, it doesn't mean no-one is reading your stuff.

Now, Carry On.

• 1 month later...

Okay, you made me go count.

I can give two examples:

1) American Calcio (Rat Pack prequel) -- all of it was written before posting

2) The Ace of Spades -- 12,684 words written before posting began (currently has about 17,000 words written).

I should think 10,000 words is a nice amount to have in the bank, if you will.

Having double checked when I first posted Saints (all of my posts are saved separately and together) I had 7,098 words before I posted. It doesn't really matter though. Many people post as they write, many save up thousands of words at a time.

It's what you're happy with, and whether you are confident of being able to keep it going should you surpass that 10,000 word mark you are at because you are going to need to keep it going whilst you're posting.

I tend to have days when I go mad and write shed loads of one story. For example on my fa cup story I have put all the squads in and results and just need to type the match reports, and then I have days when I just cant be arsed to write

I don't think when I write, hmmm there might be the problem!!

In all seriousness, I think it depends on the story and of course the writer.

For me, match reports etc with small little arcs can be written on the fly fairly easily, the ones with much more detail such as 10-3's, Gavs and stories like the Open window I would imagine take a bit more time to manufacture, I think the longer you play a game the easier is to write arcs, because the game throws up some interesting things 6 months, a year, 2 years later and then you can go back and change things in your story to fit.

For me the hardest part is to keep the details away from the game fresh and interesting, and so far I have not found the time to continue/complete anything in any way shape or form to be half decent, I've tried a few times but I just can't sustain it.

It does take a lot of work.

I also find when I slow down to write a lot I lose interest in the save quicker, whereas if I keep quick notes with the occasional long note and keep the game ticking over at a decent rate I play for longer, thats where I get my 15 year saves, as opposed to 6-12 month flings.

Then again thats just me.

Hope this helps but after re-reading it has probably confused you as much as me.

:)

I used to really enjoy writing stories and I wouldn't mind getting back into it. The only problem is I can't get to grips with the newer versions of FM.

Do you think anyone would be interested in a blast from the past story using FM06 or FM07?

This was my last story.

I used to really enjoy writing stories and I wouldn't mind getting back into it. The only problem is I can't get to grips with the newer versions of FM.

Do you think anyone would be interested in a blast from the past story using FM06 or FM07?

This was my last story.

Of course.

Older is better. :D

I've been having thoughts about trying to start my own story over the past few days. I've really enjoyed reading other stories in this forum over the past few months and just the great writing in them has made me think that mine won't be good enough should I decide to start a story.

What I'm trying to ask is have you any tips that I could follow?

You've got to enjoy writing it, Nottingham. That is my biggest tip of all, because if you aren't enjoying it people will be able to tell, and more than likely your writing will trail off and possibly end. If you enjoy it, people will enjoy it. You don't have to be a bestselling author to write here, none of us are.

The fact that you have been reading stories should be an indication, NF. In the end, the only person you really need to please is yourself. Too, there have been writers in the forum who have really grown in ability since they began to post.

Take, for example, Gav, who started out here as a functional illiterate (kidding) ...

But in all seriousness, Gav had a plan when he started on the board and has really blossomed into a fine writer (not that he wasn't before, but repetition breeds prowess). You know I love ya, man <3

Post ... be patient ... and be happy with YOUR work. That's the key to it all.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have started writing a short story first. Writing is hard work. Writing a long story first time out is especially difficult. Were it not for others on the forum weighing in regularly, I never would have finished any of my "Copper" stories. So, getting that first completed story works wonders for one's confidence. So does getting others to weigh in on what you do write. Heed their advice and don't start too many stories in quick succession without finishing any of them. Just ask the folks here how well they take to authors writing stories lasting less than 10 posts with no conclusion before starting a sign-up story or a begin a new story as soon as the first 7 day window is up....

Do yourself a huge favor and write a short story first. Get it completed. Bask in the good feelings. Try again after that.

Hey all,

I've been reading more and more stories on here and would love to have a go at my own. I've only got one FM save which is currently in the year 2028.

I was thinking I would do a few posts rounding up where I've been as a manager & how I got to where I am now before then doing more regular updates with transfers, results, etc. (As well as an actual story as well).

What are people's thoughts on that?

Cheers!

As for the older games/stories: I just started a story on CM 01/02 the other day, will continue as soon as I have full internet, rather than just leeching 1 bar from a wireless nearby. I think that it's kind of cool to have that blast from the past angle going.

As far as new writers looking for what people want to read: If you're excited about writing it, get started on it. Most new writers will get feedback early on with hints and tips to improve or smooth out their writing, take that and run with it. If you are genuinely excited about writing it, odds are people will be excited about reading it. As mentioned before though, you must do it for yourself first, not for what you think others want to see. Don't be afraid to experiment with writing styles and such, try to find a balance between how fast you want to get through your game and how much detail you want to go in to. There are stories ranging from the insanely minute (see any of tenthree's, for instance, who I believe only manages a single season for every two or three pages of thread) to the very direct (think Faramir/markwilson, who will generally finish a season or more per page). Find what you feel happy with and enjoy the writing :)

Hey all,

I've been reading more and more stories on here and would love to have a go at my own. I've only got one FM save which is currently in the year 2028.

I was thinking I would do a few posts rounding up where I've been as a manager & how I got to where I am now before then doing more regular updates with transfers, results, etc.

What are people's thoughts on that?

Cheers!

Sounds excellent mate. I'd certainly give that a look :)

If you want one example of that, check out EvilDave's A Season at the Top, where he chronicles an Arsenal team in the distant future. The key is the setup: give us a reason to "be hooked" by the large arcs that got you where you are, and we'll be hooked as you move forward.

Most of all, though, write for yourself: write what you would want to read and the odds are we will, too.

There are stories ranging from the insanely minute (see any of tenthree's, for instance, who I believe only manages a single season for every two or three pages of thread) to the very direct (think Faramir/markwilson, who will generally finish a season or more per page). Find what you feel happy with and enjoy the writing :)

Well, let's put in this way. Rat Pack has almost 1,000 posts from me to account for just under eighteen months of game time.

If you want one example of that, check out EvilDave's A Season at the Top, where he chronicles an Arsenal team in the distant future. The key is the setup: give us a reason to "be hooked" by the large arcs that got you where you are, and we'll be hooked as you move forward.

This. :thup:

Right, as I've got a fair bit of time on my hands because getting a summer job just hasn't worked and I'm off Uni, I've decided to have a go at writing a story about my game I've started recently. It's basically the San Marino challenge and I'm almost 2 seasons in but as I only started to write it tonight it just jumps in and I've kinda had to take a guess at what happened up to that point from the table etc.

This isn't ready for posting anyway yet though, I've only played about a week in game. One question though, would an in depth description of the first XI be interesting, do you think? I was thinking of doing it to introduce people to the team.

Oh, and here's an extract from the first match I've played, I've tried to pick as spoiler free a paragraph as possible :p

"Nothing much was happening for either team for the first fifteen minutes. Lechner lofted one for Lepore to chase but the defender cut it out easily. Same old story for the right sided duo today. But the defender's clearance was woeful, falling straight to Negouai. I hoped my words during the break would bring a response and he laid it off to Bonvin 30 yards from goal. I was expecting a one-two but what happened next stunned everyone. He took a touch to control it before smashing it towards the top corner. As it nestled in the back of the net the entire ground went into a stunned silence before the hardy band of Titani fans erupted behind the goal."

Any feedback from the more experienced writers on that paragraph?

Oh, and here's an extract from the first match I've played, I've tried to pick as spoiler free a paragraph as possible :p

"Nothing much was happening for either team for the first fifteen minutes. Lechner lofted one for Lepore to chase but the defender cut it out easily. Same old story for the right sided duo today. But the defender's clearance was woeful, falling straight to Negouai. I hoped my words during the break would bring a response and he laid it off to Bonvin 30 yards from goal. I was expecting a one-two but what happened next stunned everyone. He took a touch to control it before smashing it towards the top corner. As it nestled in the back of the net the entire ground went into a stunned silence before the hardy band of Titani fans erupted behind the goal."

Any feedback from the more experienced writers on that paragraph?

Not bad at all. In my mind, though, you have written three paragraphs instead of one. May I humbly suggest:

"Nothing much was happening for either team for the first fifteen minutes. Lechner lofted one for Lepore to chase but the defender cut it out easily. Same old story for the right sided duo today. But the defender's clearance was woeful, falling straight to Negouai.

I hoped my words during the break would bring a response from Negouai and he laid it off to Bonvin 30 yards from goal. I was expecting a one-two but what happened next stunned everyone.

He took a touch to control it before smashing it towards the top corner. As it nestled in the back of the net the entire ground went into a stunned silence before the hardy band of Titani fans erupted behind the goal."

That's just me, though. It's certainly a serviceable effort, especially if you post the other words to support it. So what are you waiting for? :)

I'm waiting to get a bit more of a buffer than just a week of in game play before I post :p

I thought I'd seperated the paragraphs enough (one for each bit of action in the match) but I suppose I can shorten it again if it would make it easier to read. Thanks.

I'm waiting to get a bit more of a buffer than just a week of in game play before I post :p

I thought I'd seperated the paragraphs enough (one for each bit of action in the match) but I suppose I can shorten it again if it would make it easier to read. Thanks.

Didn't say it wasn't easy to read. It's just that blocks of copy have been known to turn off readers in the past.

I write both ways. Rat Pack has longer paragraphs but in Ace of Spades my goal is 'one thought, one paragraph'. It is a point-form style and I like it. Point being, you can write, so when you're ready, let's see it!

Didn't say it wasn't easy to read. It's just that blocks of copy have been known to turn off readers in the past.

I write both ways. Rat Pack has longer paragraphs but in Ace of Spades my goal is 'one thought, one paragraph'. It is a point-form style and I like it. Point being, you can write, so when you're ready, let's see it!

Ah right, well I'll finish the season first and then post so I have a buffer. 5 games to go at the moment.

Actually if I post it at a rate of one/two entries a day I have enough for a week or so in front. Time to post.

Using Football Manager 2009

Following their promotion to the Blue Square North AFC Liverpool are advertising for players to join their dwindling squad.

To apply for a role within this squad, please reply acknowledging these specific requirements;

Name:

Date of Birth:

Position:

Considered Best Ability:

Any other relevant comments:

With the new season starting very soon, urgency is required with this matter.

Regards,

Rob Aldridge

AFC Liverpool Player Manager

Hello to everyone here in the Stories section!

Well, I've been reading through different stories on here over the past week and enjoying peoples work. I have no idea if the 'work' I do belongs in here, hopefully some of you could let me know. I have my own FM related Manager's Blog - basically I created a character, backstory etc and then used the blog to post updates on the managers career, personal (diary) entries (in character), newspaper articles, media interviews, news bulletins... it's almost like a scrapbook/diary from a Manager's perspective.

I have never considered this to be a 'story' as such, nothing is planned, everything is what naturally happens in game, I create no story arcs intentionally and all conflicts are game related and organic. As you can see I am perplexed as to whether this would be the correct place to post my work.

Archived