The Best Player You've Ever Had:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FM07:

I was just randomly looking at various national teams when I came across a 17 year old in the Argentinian U-21 squad called Elvio Menseguez. He was uncapped, but I thought he must be pretty good to be in the squad at that age, so I bought him for 4Mln pounds.

A couple of years later, at the age of 19, he had broken into my first team as a regular. Playing on the right of my 3-man strikeforce he got 25 goals and 29 assists in 40 games. A year on and he's got 8 goals and 14 assists in 19 games, had played for Argentina (senior team) 11 times (6 goals) and is worth a cool 28 mln.

For me it was Fernando Torres in FM07:

9 years in a row Premier League top goalscorer

7 times he won EPL Best Player

6 Golden Boots

7 times European Player(and Striker) of the year

2010 adidas World cup Golden Boot

2014 adidas World cup Golden Boot

and 2012 Euro Championship Best Player/and goalscorer

Mattias Fernandez.......

Bought him at Roma - won Serie A and champions league.

Was offered the Man Utd job - made him my first signing. Played 4 1 3 1 2 formation with Fernandez playing in behind the front 2. over the next 7 seasons he scored 120 LEAGUE goals and 163 goals in all competitions. Never got injured or sent off and scored 30+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons (from midfield).

6 PL titles, 5 Champions Leagues, 4 FA cups and 4 League Cups.

4 times World player of the year

4 times European Footballer of the year

5 times FA Footballer of the year.

Now 33 yrs of age and still a first team regular........ What a hero.

Maybe not the best player, but picking up Juan Ugarte on a free with Cambridge in the Blue Square Prem really transformed my fortunes.

He progressed with the club to become the their record scorer with 96 in 218 (humble, but nice to see him crack the record!) Became a benchwarmer when i'd made it to the championship in his seventh season and aged 34, and letting his contract expire was a sad sad day - but i would say that he is the man that turned my club from conference make-a-weights into challengers for the premier league. A legend.

Can't believe Danny Haynes hasn't got a mention yet, FM 07 league 1 35+ goals, partnership with free signing Roberto Holsen, who scored 15 goals then went on to Fulham for 2 mil.

Also Al Bangura, in EVERY game i've had on FM 07 he's turned into a Man Utd legend and played almost every game for 12+ seasons for my record breaking Man U side. FM 07 - bring back the simpler times!

fm06: michael owen - scored all four goals in my only ever fm champions league victory

fm07: aurelien teaudors and lucas

fm08: febian brandy - legend in league 1,trying to get him on loan in championship

Had a very long save for Gundos challenge in Croatia. Had a player called Sinisa Lucic - played up front and dominated. He was just the right level for us - not too good to want to leave for a better league, but just good enough to be the best striker in the league. He picked up the European Golden boot one year. Had a lot of love for him icon_biggrin.gif

Robert Joyce, a defensive midfielder that I signed for Rangers from Chester for £200,000 in an old version of the game.

He walked into the team at the age of eighteen and would regular hit over 100 accurate passes per game, at least 10 tackles and rarely lose a header.

Despite being the world's best player in his position, he very rarely played for England, probably because he was playing club football in Scotland.

After I left Rangers he wasn't the same as most managers played him as a central defender. He went to England after around ten years at Rangers and belatedly became a regular for the national side.

Guest Addis

I always remember Junior Khanye on FM05 being able to dribble the whole pitch whatever club he played for. He probably ended his career with an average rating of at least 8.00

Robert Kaye in a version from about 4/5 years ago. A regen for my Bolton team, he was simply amazing and had 20's in pretty much everything. Sold him to Barcelona for 100m (by far and away my biggest ever sale) and never recovered as a team.

CM 97/98 - Ibrahima Bakayoko without doubt the greatest player I have ever worked with in the CM/FM Series, used to play in the hole would score 30 and create 30.

CM 01/02 - Kezman was an absolute beast would score pretty much every game without fail.

CM 01/02 - A regen GK called Jamie Bird for my West Brom team he was fantastic never had such a good GK.

FM08 - Bogdan Stancu

Federico Piovaccari. Pretty much invincible and unplayable in Serie C2. Now Como (my club) are on his favoured list and despite him actually being useless for Inter Milan in 2007, became a backup for them. Managed to loan him out again and he was banging in goals for fun with new partners until... My game corrupted itself. I was having so much fun...

i had a portuguese striker, can't remember his name, at R.Madrid in fm06. i bought him from athletico madird for his release fee of just £8.75M, he and pazzini scored 30+ goals that season. fm07 came out after i finished 1 season with him, i've still got that save somewhere. might reinstall for old times sake.

I've had many many good players over the years, some of them found out on the GPG's on the Internet, some of them found by myself... but my best ever moment has to be in CM 3 when I started a game as Wolves and Robbie Keane was just on fire back then. Easily my best forward in any any game, He's still one of my favorite forwards thanks to that version.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mizan:

One name ---

TO MADEIRA

I'm sure other people will agree! An absolute legend on the game.

Shame players like that never appear in the newer versions of FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame? icon_eek.gif Er, you do KNOW about 'To Madeira', don't you?

For me it was probably George O' Callaghan in CM3. He started at Port Vale (I think) and moved to Liverpool, but then became a bit-part player. I came to Chelsea via St Johnstone and signed him and the rest was history. Within a few years we were winning everything, with him the star man playing in the attacking centre-midfield role (seemed a very effective position in that version).

He scored a bucket-load of goals and made a bunch of assists - a cliche I know - but what set him apart was the season he finished with an average rating of over 9.00... and he played over 60 games in all competitions.

A few stick out for me that have already been mentioned -

Freddy Guarin, Sherman Cardenas, Lebohang Mokoena.........

I think Alessio Cerci deserves a mention for the earlier versions of the game although he's not all that great in 07 and 08.

But my ultimate favoutite from any of the versions of this great game has to be Damian Luna - Maradona like goals running from anywhere on the pitch. I swear I saw him pop up again whilst playing a large database and several leagues on 08 but I may be mistaken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GazTheDoood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the season he finished with an average rating of over 9.00... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

WOW, the CM3 days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------------------------------------

Yep, it seems such things are much rarer in later versions.

On a related note, do people find that match ratings of 10 are EXTREMELY rare in FM08? I've had players score 5 goals in a game and only get a 9 icon_confused.gif

im chelsea at the moment and for me its Goran Pandev. Bangs the goals in like there's no tomorrow. Ive also had a regen come through by the name of Ray Rowe. He is 20 and is starting to form a lethal patnership with Mr Pandev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mizan:

No I dont know about To Madeira.

What happened? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To Madeira never existed in real life. He was 'planted' by a Portuguese researcher - a hoax, if you will icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Azmodai:

I've had many many good players over the years, some of them found out on the GPG's on the Internet, some of them found by myself... but my best ever moment has to be in CM 3 when I started a game as Wolves and Robbie Keane was just on fire back then. Easily my best forward in any any game, He's still one of my favorite forwards thanks to that version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Robbie Keane is a fav of mine too. Never that renowned in game but consistenly scored more than anyone else in almost all teams I built

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

No I dont know about To Madeira.

What happened? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To Madeira never existed in real life. He was 'planted' by a Portuguese researcher - a hoax, if you will icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW!!

Why did he do that?

Where is he know? Must have got fired!

How did he get away with it?

In FM2008 - it is definately Torres at Liverpool. i have just finished my third season and he got 40 goals in 41 appearances. The previous two seasons, he got something like 30 goals in 40 games.

Overall though i would say that Inigo Idiakez in one of the CM versions was my bext player ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garryg33:

im chelsea at the moment and for me its Goran Pandev. Bangs the goals in like there's no tomorrow. Ive also had a regen come through by the name of Ray Rowe. He is 20 and is starting to form a lethal patnership with Mr Pandev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't Ray Rowe what scooby do says instead of hello!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mojby:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garryg33:

im chelsea at the moment and for me its Goran Pandev. Bangs the goals in like there's no tomorrow. Ive also had a regen come through by the name of Ray Rowe. He is 20 and is starting to form a lethal patnership with Mr Pandev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't Ray Rowe what scooby do says instead of hello!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Mr. Pandev would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been fer them pesky kids!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mojby:

Isn't Ray Rowe what scooby do says instead of hello!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Mr. Pandev would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been fer them pesky kids! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's 'meddling' kids! icon_biggrin.gif

My best player at the top of my head was a Goakpeeper in fm07 that i bought when i was KR (iceland). He was absolutely mental. Could keep Real Madrid out even when he was being bombarded with shots. His stats weren't all that good, but he was the super goalie.

Well come to think of it I had 1 more best player in that same team. He came in my second season, and became a legend at the club, guiding us to CL knockout round. Benjamin Kumi. He's real and he plays for Vasby, a lower league club in Sweden. So anyone playing with a Scandinavian club, or a lower league club anywhere else. Definitely check this lad out. About 19 yrs old i would think, maybe less. Worth the £10k.

Archived