dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

Has anybody else experienced this sort of player unhappyness? I signed the guy knowing that he would easily be my best centre back and he got unhappy after a few games, morale went right down - but I carried on playing him and he has now notched up 46 appearances this season and seems to be intending to retire icon_confused.gif

Any suggestions on how I can get him to change his mind? As I say he is only 22 and by far my best centre back.

paulsgruff. Is he on a part-time contract? I think he believes he's not a professional either because he's only on a part-time contract or because he's at a semi-pro clun.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

NepentheZ. Are you comparing this season to your first season in FM08, or this season (FM08) to last season (FM07)?

If it is the latter then I know exactly what you mena as it wa my first impression too.

I would suggest that you watch a full match and it should shed some light on the subject.

What I found was that if I tried to use the Target man tactic that bought me success in FM07, then my target Man would not be able to challenge often enough for the ball because the quality of the balls to him, (and his lack of ability), meant that he just wasn't getting near enough to the ball.

What I have done is reduce the passing levels right down, but still play Targget man instructions to head. This seems to be working.

Im comparing it to my first season in FM08. My target man was getting 15-30 attempted headers a game. now, he barely makes 5 - 10. Over the summer, my team seems to have lost ability to play football. Like i say, ive strengthened the team, i've now changed tactic for my last friendly of the pre-season, if this fails, ill go back to the target man and tweak... but who knows what will happen. I have a strong feeling that come the end of this season, i wont be in a job any more...

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Just got an offer of £100k for my full back, what do I do?

Wallis-Taylor

With an average rating of less than 7 in a promotion winning season, I'd sell him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep him. His average rating is only so low because he featured so often from the bench.

The money is no good unless you can replace him with someone better.

paulsgruff. Is he on a part-time contract? I think he believes he's not a professional either because he's only on a part-time contract or because he's at a semi-pro clun.

Ah ok this could be it (it seems I didn't interpret the happiness correctly), yeah I'm still semi-pro amd he is on a part time contract. I have him tied down to a 5 year deal, but his morale hasn't ever got above 'poor' since his state of mind changed like this - which was back in September and I am now in May.

Also now he has got unhappy he refuses to discuss a full time contract. Is he likely to improve in happiness (praising his performances hasn't helped at all) or should I just be looking at offloading him do you think? I've got several players disliking him now, which is annoying considering he is the only player here that is classed as League 2 standard in coach reports.

Americano's Martyr Tydfil

Preseason 08/09

Ok. I got here and found only six youngsters more concern with acne, playstation and malls than playing football. I went to every gas station, burger place and jail and found some 'players' that at least know how to wear an uniform and follow orders. Skills? Forget about it. Determination? Only in my dreams. Ambition? Wrong number.

Of course awful preseason. Everybody out of shape and a couple players maybe colorblind because they just can't tell who is in their team and who isn't.

This is not fun at all. Hell starts here.

Hello all - didnt do this last year as i was so far behind it all.

I was the user steboyuk which some of you may know but i lost my password and my account messed up for some reason.

Some of you may know that i am Stephen Hindmarch and i am on the game - good to see ive been ridiculously overrated yet again! icon_biggrin.gif

Should enjoy this, currently holidaying and hoping for Swindon Supermarine or Brackley!

What's the reason for not being able to sign a player unless you can scout him? I was on the verge of signing a random but good player from a Polish side for Chippenham, he'd accepted my contract, but I had to cancel it cos I realised I couldn't scout him. And now his club won't accept my approaches to give him a trial. It's getting on my nerves now.

Chippenham selected pre-season results.

Now I realise that there is a gulf in class between my 2 opponents but it is quite demoralising. icon_frown.gif

Match 1 Vs Braintree

And next is the following match:

Match 2 Vs Bristol City

On the plus side the odds have just been announced and last year I was 40/1 but this year I'm 20/1 with the bookies saying that I'm a mid-table side icon_cool.gif

Season 2009/10 Review - Chippenham Town in the Blue Square South

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

After last season's playoff misery, I was hoping for a good season. I certainly got it, although with a bit of bad form towards the end of the season, it wasn't until the last day of the season that I finally secured the title.

Squad

Transfers

Pretty much the same team, with the addition of a few youngsters and Rigs.

Star Players

Paddy

Rigs

Robin

Mullers

Custard

Clarky

Originally posted by jsufc88:

What's the reason for not being able to sign a player unless you can scout him? I was on the verge of signing a random but good player from a Polish side for Chippenham, he'd accepted my contract, but I had to cancel it cos I realised I couldn't scout him. And now his club won't accept my approaches to give him a trial. It's getting on my nerves now.

Three reasons:

1. To keep things realistic, clubs in the lower leagues don't tend to bring in players from around the world.

2. To avoid the good player forum influence, there's bound to be loads of brilliant foreigners we could buy for nothing, but without this forum no one would have heard of them.

3. If you can't see all their attributes, why would you want to sign them without a second opinion from a scout or a coach?

Bedford Town - Blue Square South - End of Season 08/09

Well, well, well, this is different to managing at top flight...

So I started the season with 6 youth players, no staff, no transfer budget and a little over £2k to spend on wages. Yep, definitely different icon_smile.gif

It started with a promise to the board that I'd avoid relegation, but the media guys had different ideas and predicted a finish in 21st place. Thanks.

It was pretty tough. As you'll see I never really got over the half way mark, but i equally never really threatened to go down. I had a couple of good rune, and a couple of bad. The worst was a run of 5 games where i conceded 20 goals and scored 4.

My defence was shocking all season, with centre-backs who could neither run nor tackle, and two goal keepers who were only threatening each other for the title of 'worst signing of the season'.

Going forward I was pretty good, scoring in most games, but never able to hang onto a lead.

I got an early hit on the parent club stakes, and came out with Peterborough. They gave me a few left backs and a striker. They were greatly appreciated, but not too great. then in January I hit them up for a young keeper and I think he saved my season. He didn't do anything great, but he made the occasional save. In fact I think he saved more shots on his debut than the other 2 jokers ever managed.

So the results:

Final position

So i finished 14th. A great run in with 5 consecutive wins made us look better than we deserved. As you can see here we never really threatened, but we've got a platform to build on now.

Player Stats

You can see that I built a pretty good passing game up. Those are my 3 rotated central midfielders topping the pass completion table. you can also see my top 2 strikers in the goalscorers league. Which brings me to my:

Key Player

With out question the only reason i stayed away from relegation was this guy's goals. Hugely consistant and a great prospect, I just hope I can hold onto him.

So, in conclusion, i'm happy with my first year. It showed me a lot about lower league management and I've really enjoyed it.

My plans? A better keeper and better defenders. If I can improve on thos areas I think I have a realistic chance of pushing for the playoffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsufc88:

Three reasons:

1. To keep things realistic, clubs in the lower leagues don't tend to bring in players from around the world.

2. To avoid the good player forum influence, there's bound to be loads of brilliant foreigners we could buy for nothing, but without this forum no one would have heard of them.

3. If you can't see all their attributes, why would you want to sign them without a second opinion from a scout or a coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I can see your reasons...but firstly, I didn't find out about him on here, I found out about him because his Polish team offered me a friendly so I watched/scouted him first hand. And secondly, I wouldn't need a scout anyway - none of his attributes are hidden to me.

Polish player

After a decent pre-season I won my first game:

First Game

I managed to get Cherno Samba onloan for me and Doug Loft, my youth academy is really promising as I have got a player who my couch rates as a good league One defender in future and he is in my line-up, and he is a regen, but I'm not suprised at how good he is considering that Tiverton have good facilites and a Youth Academy! I think this team could finish in the top-half.

Well I can see your reasons...but firstly, I didn't find out about him on here, I found out about him because his Polish team offered me a friendly so I watched/scouted him first hand. And secondly, I wouldn't need a scout anyway - none of his attributes are hidden to me.

Polish player

I appreciate that you are not using outside influences to sign players, but a line must be drawn somewhere. What I don't want is people deliberately setting up friendlies so they can sign foreign players, it's far too open for abuse. I'm sorry that your genuine attempt to sign a player is not allowed, but I think it is only fair that we all work within the same rules.

Originally posted by Alurny:

Arrange friendlies for your u18's to raise funds. It worked for me icon14.gif

Out of curiosity, which type of teams are you playing friendlies against to get money?

I've decided to take control of my u18's and reserves, so that I can make sure that they get some match time. It's also providing some useful insights into players that I'd otherwise ignore.

At the moment, I've just arranged friendlies against non-league opposition and other Conference South u18's and reserves. None of these seem to be generating any cash. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Ok. Im getting Pi$$ed off now.

In my last 4 Friendly's i've had....

4 Reds (Two players twice)

12 Yellows

6 Goals Scored

19 Goals Conceeded

And i dont know why. I'm doing not much different from last year, but my players are having no shots, my target man no longer has the same amount of headers he usually has (usually between 15 and 30 a game, in the last 4 matches he's totalled 18 attempted headers) and im getting battered by teams with worse quality than me.

I've STRENGTHENED my team over the summer, with 3 new defenders all rated better than my current lot, a couple of midfileders and a forward, ALL rated better than who i had before, but my team has fallen apart.

On top of that, im £150k in the red, and the board are 'Angry' that i've done nothing about this. How am i supposed to make money on a wim?

On the only bright note, they are 'Extreemly happy' that im well within my wage budget.

This is SO much harder than FM07 ....

Best way to make cash is pre season tournys. I created one (I'm Worksop by the way) with barca/real madrid/aletico B teams and I made over £150k in gate receipts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsufc88:

Polish player

I appreciate that you are not using outside influences to sign players, but a line must be drawn somewhere. What I don't want is people deliberately setting up friendlies so they can sign foreign players, it's far too open for abuse. I'm sorry that your genuine attempt to sign a player is not allowed, but I think it is only fair that we all work within the same rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well OK fair enough. But I dodn't deliberately arrange a friendly with a foreign team so that I could sign players. He came to my attention in a perfectly legitimate fashion and it didn't break the rules of the challenge. But I understand why you wont allow it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Polish player

I appreciate that you are not using outside influences to sign players, but a line must be drawn somewhere. What I don't want is people deliberately setting up friendlies so they can sign foreign players, it's far too open for abuse. I'm sorry that your genuine attempt to sign a player is not allowed, but I think it is only fair that we all work within the same rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well OK fair enough. But I dodn't deliberately arrange a friendly with a foreign team so that I could sign players. He came to my attention in a perfectly legitimate fashion and it didn't break the rules of the challenge. But I understand why you wont allow it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fine, I didn't think for one minute that you deliberately set up the friendly to sign players, but I know other people will. I'm glad you can understand why the line has to be drawn there.

it's a miracle.... six league games into my season with worksop and we're still unbeaten!! 3 wins, 3 draws so far and we're sitting 4th in the league, 3 points off the top...

exceeding my wildest hopes so far, considering we had no players at all at the club when i took over and when we lost our first 4 friendlies.

got to say that a lot of praise has to go to Justin Cochrane and Oliver Hotchkiss who are running the middle of the park, and have scored 5 goals between them already. vital goals too, as struggling to get them from my strikers. Ol' pineapple head Jason Lee has got on coming off the bench, and a recent loan signing Fairhurst has 2 in 3 matches so far.

hopefully i can keep this sort of form up and push on towards the top. my wage budget of 2.5k per week is creaking and i need to bring in a few more players i feel. about to sign Eifion Williams to bolster my strikeforce. anyone had experience with him? is he worth £250 per week??

will post more soon...

Originally posted by kccircle:

Just wondered how people have been doing in the cup competitions.

Has anyone won a cup or got to a final yet? (not play offs)

I've practically ignored them, the highlight was losing 4-2 to Kidderminster in the FA Cup 1st Round.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

NepentheZ. Are you comparing this season to your first season in FM08, or this season (FM08) to last season (FM07)?

If it is the latter then I know exactly what you mena as it wa my first impression too.

I would suggest that you watch a full match and it should shed some light on the subject.

What I found was that if I tried to use the Target man tactic that bought me success in FM07, then my target Man would not be able to challenge often enough for the ball because the quality of the balls to him, (and his lack of ability), meant that he just wasn't getting near enough to the ball.

What I have done is reduce the passing levels right down, but still play Targget man instructions to head. This seems to be working.

Im comparing it to my first season in FM08. My target man was getting 15-30 attempted headers a game. now, he barely makes 5 - 10. Over the summer, my team seems to have lost ability to play football. Like i say, ive strengthened the team, i've now changed tactic for my last friendly of the pre-season, if this fails, ill go back to the target man and tweak... but who knows what will happen. I have a strong feeling that come the end of this season, i wont be in a job any more... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another worksop player... what tactics you playing? what sort of squad have you built?

Originally posted by kccircle:

Just wondered how people have been doing in the cup competitions.

Has anyone won a cup or got to a final yet? (not play offs)

Got to the FA Cup 1st Round, but lost 3-1 to Northwich.

Currently in the 3rd Round of the Setanta Shield, not played in the FA Trophy yet.

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Just got an offer of £100k for my full back, what do I do?

Wallis-Taylor

100k is always my asking/negotiating point for any player below league 2. Anything under that and they arn't leaving. Anything over that an they're on the way. It helps to build badly needed future stadium expansion money and just about anyone can be replaced at that level (not to mention if they are getting 100k offers, theres no way you can keep them happy wage wise nyways).

It is always fun selling them for 100k and then resigning them at the end of the next season when they're released on a free again icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by MoongooseMcQueen:

The first game, we played some green dudes and tonked them pretty good. Score was 2-1 but we probably deserved more out of it.

Here's our home tactics, which deserve kudos for ridiculousness alone.

I haven't come up with an away plan yet, but I assume it will involve more hoofing and hoping.

That definitely gets kudos from me. Has it been working?! I may take a leaf out of your book as I'm severely struggling to find a solid home tactic.

AFC Hornchurch - Blue Square South - Start of Season 4 (2011-12)

Well last season majorly sucked. I thought I had a team capable of winning promotion but ended up finishing a miserable 16th - our lowest finish yet. Due to my annoyance at our terrible performances, I just continued on through the close season forgetting to take screenies of squad and league graph etc (it seems that league graphs from previous seasons still don't show when I adjust the year to look at previous league tables).

Hopefully the new season can't possibly get any worse than my last effort. I will probably take quite a while to get through season 4 (I've had a major FM binge this weekend to get through 3 seasons already - work will interfere from tomorrow onwards). After being so fed up with my teams performances, I nearly totally emptied my first team, selling and releasing players where possible, and have built an entirely new look first team based solely on my scouts findings, my transfers could go either way really, the players I have bought in LOOK better than the players I have got rid of, but how they work together is yet to be seen. I will also be varying away from the standard 4-4-2 I have been struggling with for the previous 3 seasons, and will attempt a similar shape to what Chelsea regularly used in FM07 (mainly due to my lack of decent wingers).

I wasn't at all confident about giving the captaincy to a new player (Jonathan D'Laryea), but 9 players gave a positive reaction to the decision, and only one thought it was a bad choice, so I got a rather lucky boost in pre-season morale there - along with a fantastic 2-2 draw with Portsmouth Reseves... who are Portsmouth anyway? icon_wink.gif

So my goal for this season is naturally "Do better than last season!" My contract runs out at the end of the year, so I'm really hoping my side finishes at least mid-table to match the expectations of the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best way to make cash is pre season tournys. I created one (I'm Worksop by the way) with barca/real madrid/aletico B teams and I made over £150k in gate receipts.

dafuge. Would you please consider banning this. It's cheating in my book icon13.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, totally unrealistic as this would never happen in real life. icon13.gif

Archived