dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Just got an offer of £100k for my full back, what do I do?

Wallis-Taylor

100k is always my asking/negotiating point for any player below league 2. Anything under that and they arn't leaving. Anything over that an they're on the way. It helps to build badly needed future stadium expansion money and just about anyone can be replaced at that level (not to mention if they are getting 100k offers, theres no way you can keep them happy wage wise nyways).

It is always fun selling them for 100k and then resigning them at the end of the next season when they're released on a free again icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I sold him for 140k+30%+a friendly, also sold my other left back to Inverness for £190k as they triggered his release clause. Ive now got $450k to spend but noone to buy.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Wallis-Taylor

100k is always my asking/negotiating point for any player below league 2. Anything under that and they arn't leaving. Anything over that an they're on the way. It helps to build badly needed future stadium expansion money and just about anyone can be replaced at that level (not to mention if they are getting 100k offers, theres no way you can keep them happy wage wise nyways).

It is always fun selling them for 100k and then resigning them at the end of the next season when they're released on a free again icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blah I'm so far behind, didn't notice you'd already sold him icon_smile.gif Looks like you got a good deal for him icon14.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best way to make cash is pre season tournys. I created one (I'm Worksop by the way) with barca/real madrid/aletico B teams and I made over £150k in gate receipts.

dafuge. Would you please consider banning this. It's cheating in my book icon13.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I'm not playing in this, and its not about using LLM rules, but I agree thats just too unrealistic and an easy way to make money.

All challenges in here should be about playing fairly and not taking advantage of problems with the game.

Those B teams shouldn't even accept friendlies with obscure English clubs in the first place, probably a good idea to post it in the bugs forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best way to make cash is pre season tournys. I created one (I'm Worksop by the way) with barca/real madrid/aletico B teams and I made over £150k in gate receipts.

dafuge. Would you please consider banning this. It's cheating in my book icon13.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's definitely against the spirit of the game, I would say this definitely counts as cheating.

Who said this by the way?

Your quote seems to be missing the 'originally posted by...' bit.

I'd second this one. Its not against current rules, but its just as unrealistic as signing random foreigners. Not to mention it gives a HUGE advantage monetarily over people who don't do it.

It's definitely against the spirit of the game,

Spirit of the game, thats what I meant. Its like on CM 03/04 when you could put a forward arrow on the MC to SC and they would be unstoppable, its exploiting a bug/flaw in the game making it a lot easier than it should be.

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

Wallis-Taylor

Well I sold him for 140k+30%+a friendly, also sold my other left back to Inverness for £190k as they triggered his release clause. Ive now got $450k to spend but noone to buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Thats probably halfway to a stadium expansion and probably more than enough to up training/youth facilities icon_smile.gif

Yeah the downside is having to replace them, but its usually doable without spending much money at all. Seems to always happen with backs to me as well, which is actually good because i play a system where backs are fairly similar to my wingers and i can drop a reserve winger back there until i find a new signing.

BTW congrats on promotion to the football league! icon_cool.gif

Has the club gone pro yet? along with that, are you able to scout the rest of the UK?

KUTGW guys, and keep posting updates for us poor yanks that don't have the game yet!

PS. This thread is flying atm! Stop responding to my replies before i finish them! icon_biggrin.gif

End Of Season Update 08/09

So a long and alright-ish season, with both ups and downs along the way. Best thing about season is that i stayed clear of relegation by 15 points, mostly because i went 11 games unbeaten then 6 games unbeaten, though i did lose the last 6 games of the season and it ended my promotion challenge.

Transfers

Some of my signings weren't that good, didn't really get a prolific goal scorer, top goal scorer was my right winger Danny Racchi who also got most assits and highest average rating, therefore my best player, though i did come close to selling him but i couldn't he was my god.

Feeder Club

Got the mighty Stevenage as my feeder team, think i will cancel my link with them as they seem rather on the dung department and the players they have just aren't any better then my current lot. Hopefully i will get some good performances next season.

League Standings

I think that 12th was a good position as my players didn't seem to play that well and i couldn't really find a consistent formation, thank god for that 11 game unbeaten run.

Player Stats

As you can see, they didn't really play that well, but they did the job and kept me up. Signed Big Steve Torpey but he was doing dung so i moved him to my reserves.

Dale Underwood was a big shock, didn't start him till 2nd half of the season but he scored some important goal.

Best player

Has to bee Danny Racchi, signed him on a free and has been key in us staying up.

icon_smile.gif

As a suggestion for the friendlies bit, perhaps friendlies should only be able to be played against teams whos players you can scout?

I know its not really enforceable as people arn't posting fixtures lists, but at least it would give people new to these challenges a guideline to follow.

As a suggestion for the friendlies bit, perhaps friendlies should only be able to be played against teams whos players you can scout?

I know its not really enforceable as people arn't posting fixtures lists, but at least it would give people new to these challenges a guideline to follow.

I like this idea. icon14.gif

Obviously as you say its difficult to enforce but it gives us honest players a form of 'guidelines' to base our friendlies on.

Originally posted by Allan:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7231/allanbanburyxx3.jpg

Unknown Brown takes over at Banbury United (the Puritans)

After the sensational promotion from the Southern Premier, Banbury have appointed Allan Brown as manager for the new season.

I like going with obscure teams, this looks like it may be a tough season though!

Banbury have a reputation of 800 icon_eek.gif

Allan, you are the most manliest amongst men here, your chest must be so hairy your medallions get lost at times.

Originally posted by Allan:

After the sensational promotion from the Southern Premier, Banbury have appointed Allan Brown as manager for the new season.

I like going with obscure teams, this looks like it may be a tough season though!

Is this the lowest ranked team yet?

For anybody playing as a team with a reputation of under 1000, is everybody finding it extremely difficult to get anybody of any quality in on loan.

Having identified a disticnt lack of goals from my forwards, I have tried everybody and anybody on the loan list from the strikers, who would be intrested in signing for Mangotsfield for the season.

Having offered a contract to all, not one person has accepted an offer from me, some even joining a club without a league to play in, thus highlighting the difference in the rep.

I'm sure that im not alone in this, and was wondering if anybody wanted to share there stories about there struggles with the reputation factor icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

I highly recommend Daryl Clare. The man is some sort of super human lower league goalscorer (as I'm sure a lot of you 07 players know!). He's just taken his tally to 10 in 14 for me now. Superb.

Or Nathan Woolfe - 12 in 13 for me icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

Wallis-Taylor

Well I sold him for 140k+30%+a friendly, also sold my other left back to Inverness for £190k as they triggered his release clause. Ive now got $450k to spend but noone to buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Thats probably halfway to a stadium expansion and probably more than enough to up training/youth facilities icon_smile.gif

Yeah the downside is having to replace them, but its usually doable without spending much money at all. Seems to always happen with backs to me as well, which is actually good because i play a system where backs are fairly similar to my wingers and i can drop a reserve winger back there until i find a new signing.

BTW congrats on promotion to the football league! icon_cool.gif

Has the club gone pro yet? along with that, are you able to scout the rest of the UK?

KUTGW guys, and keep posting updates for us poor yanks that don't have the game yet!

PS. This thread is flying atm! Stop responding to my replies before i finish them! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks icon14.gif

On the subject of the stadium, the board dont think its necessary to expand it despite selling out every week. They have agreed to upgrade the training facilities though.

Originally posted by sergent21:

For anybody playing as a team with a reputation of under 1000, is everybody finding it extremely difficult to get anybody of any quality in on loan.

Having identified a disticnt lack of goals from my forwards, I have tried everybody and anybody on the loan list from the strikers, who would be intrested in signing for Mangotsfield for the season.

Having offered a contract to all, not one person has accepted an offer from me, some even joining a club without a league to play in, thus highlighting the difference in the rep.

I'm sure that im not alone in this, and was wondering if anybody wanted to share there stories about there struggles with the reputation factor icon_cool.gif

I had a couple of decent players on loan from my parent club Brizzle Rovers, one of them I've signed full time now.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sergent21:

I had a couple of decent players on loan from my parent club Brizzle Rovers, one of them I've signed full time now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have got a couple of players on loan, but I desperately need a striker who has some sort of finishing ability, but still finding it an absoloute nightmare currently. I'll keep trying though.. I would love to use my parent club, which is Cheltenham Town, but they have no players who would make my team any better.

Great thread once again dafuge,enjoying this extremely frustrating but, hopefully, rewarding game, and good luck to everybody else in the challenge KUTGW icon14.gif

Mid season report coming tommorow as well icon_smile.gif

Question:

What do people think is a more enthusiastic recommendation from your scouts? -

"seriously look into the possibility of signing this player"

OR

"would be a good signing"

Personally I'm not sure! icon_confused.gif

To me i would think that "Seriously look into the possibility of signing this player" would be better. I would personally slot that one in between the "Sign at whatever cost" and "Good Signing".

Never seen the seriously look into one. Nice find icon14.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:

Banbury have a reputation of 800 icon_eek.gif

Allan, you are the most manliest amongst men here, your chest must be so hairy your medallions get lost at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll hopefully drag this teams reputation up to the heavens where it belongs by playing pure football which matches our nickname! But with no staff, no money and no fans its going to be tricky! icon_biggrin.gif

Im taking it reeeeally slowly though, and am off to bed for the night! icon_smile.gif

Hello! this challenge looked so interesting I decided to join in. Tiverton Town is the team.

I'm currently just finished with pre-season after starting with a 7-2 defeat against Exeter and ending with a draw against the Arsenal reserves! amazing considering they started with players like Bendtner, Marica, and Flamini...

The squad i managed to build will hopefully be good enough to secure the mid-table position that is demanded, or even a promotion if I'm lucky.

My key-players will probably be Barnes, Edwards, and Misiewiczok, all loaned from my parent club Plymouth. I also have a promising regen in Lewis Edwards who my staff says have the potential to become a good League 2 player, hopefully he will develop into a good player for me. Now it's time to start the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I agree, totally unrealistic as this would never happen in real life. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it does to a degree. Well with premiership teams anyway. Every season Worksop host Man U, Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Just an example.

Boreham Wood December 08 update. Conference South.

(H) Wood 2 AFC Wimbledon 1.

Bailey, Caddick.

(H) Wood 0 Eastbourne Boro 0.

FA Trophy 1st Round.

(A) Wood 0 Rochdale 4.

(A) Wood 1 Fisher 2.

Semple.

Current league position 5th icon14.gif.

I've released "The Mailman" on a free. I offered him a mutual contract termination however he agreed to waive any fee as he was confidant of finding another club. The 34 year old midfielder was so named because he "always delivered" from the "crazy midfielder position" bacj in about CM4(ish). I saw him play in League 2 a few weeks ago and while his legs may gbe gone, he's still decent on the ball. Anyway, dafuge's challenge is no place for sentimentality so he's gone.

Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I agree, totally unrealistic as this would never happen in real life. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it does to a degree. Well with premiership teams anyway. Every season Worksop host Man U, Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Just an example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keeping it within clubs you can scout is realistic.

Incidentally, arranging friendlies whilst in the conference north for my u18s helped my balance *however* I asked and Dafuge gave me the go ahead. I arranged them realistically (1 a week). Now they are in a league I obviously no longer do this. Now this could be seen as a bit dodgy but in real life sides of this level do charge for u18 games.

Actually it does to a degree. Well with premiership teams anyway. Every season Worksop host Man U, Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Just an example.

Alurny. Come off it. You can't really be comparing a Championship side, (League 1 side in Forest's case), tyo the likes of Real, Athletico, & Barca. It is realistic for some biggish English sides to send a Reserve team to the likes of Worksop. I haben't got a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people using loopholes in the game to cheat. This is cheating. You've tried to say it happens, and given examples to prove your point, but then made my point for me by not gicing a single valid example of a continental European giant such as the 3 already mentioned playing the likes of Worksop. It's ridiculous!

Incidentally, arranging friendlies whilst in the conference north for my u18s helped my balance *however* I asked and Dafuge gave me the go ahead. I arranged them realistically (1 a week). Now they are in a league I obviously no longer do this. Now this could be seen as a bit dodgy but in real life sides of this level do charge for u18 games.

Nobody has a problem with your Reserves or U18's playing games because they haven't got league fixtures. That's not the same os playing 3 money-spinning games against The Reserve teams of the some of the best teams in Europs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually it does to a degree. Well with premiership teams anyway. Every season Worksop host Man U, Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Just an example.

Alurny. Come off it. You can't really be comparing a Championship side, (League 1 side in Forest's case), tyo the likes of Real, Athletico, & Barca. It is realistic for some biggish English sides to send a Reserve team to the likes of Worksop. I haben't got a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people using loopholes in the game to cheat. This is cheating. You've tried to say it happens, and given examples to prove your point, but then made my point for me by not gicing a single valid example of a continental European giant such as the 3 already mentioned playing the likes of Worksop. It's ridiculous! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is why I said it was realistic to a degree and then afterwards I said it should be clubs within your "scouting" network.

Jimbo I agree with you. Don't hate me! icon_wink.gif

Chippenham - Blue Square South - End of season 08/09

League table

Position graph

Confidence

Finances

My goal in my first season was to survive using as few resources as necessary. I finished 16th and have never had any real problems throughout the season. The second half of the season wasn't that good as most of my matches ended in a draw then.

I had to build a team from scratch as the only non-grey players were three 17 year old kids. Getting Bristol City as a parent club really helped as they sent me Cole Skuse, a great midfielder and Stephen Henderson, a good young goalkeeper. To fill the other spots I looked for free players or players that were allowed to leave their club for free.

Transfers

Squad

Cole Skuse

Valentino Shielis

Andy Forbes

Serge Makofo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Incidentally, arranging friendlies whilst in the conference north for my u18s helped my balance *however* I asked and Dafuge gave me the go ahead. I arranged them realistically (1 a week). Now they are in a league I obviously no longer do this. Now this could be seen as a bit dodgy but in real life sides of this level do charge for u18 games.

Nobody has a problem with your Reserves or U18's playing games because they haven't got league fixtures. That's not the same os playing 3 money-spinning games against The Reserve teams of the some of the best teams in Europs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see, I see icon_smile.gif

I guess I worded my reply wrongly! Yes it is wrong to hold ties against euro- super giants. I guess keep it within the confines of the country or your scouting network is a realistic proposition. icon_smile.gif

I agree with what you say Jimbo! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually it does to a degree. Well with premiership teams anyway. Every season Worksop host Man U, Forest, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. Just an example.

Alurny. Come off it. You can't really be comparing a Championship side, (League 1 side in Forest's case), tyo the likes of Real, Athletico, & Barca. It is realistic for some biggish English sides to send a Reserve team to the likes of Worksop. I haben't got a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people using loopholes in the game to cheat. This is cheating. You've tried to say it happens, and given examples to prove your point, but then made my point for me by not gicing a single valid example of a continental European giant such as the 3 already mentioned playing the likes of Worksop. It's ridiculous! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess you missed the mention of Man Utd there then...

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Guess you missed the mention of Man Utd there then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(And Sheff U/Wednesday used to be in the prem icon_wink.gif)

Jimbo has a point though going outside your normal scope of knowlege is hardly realistic.

What would really hep is a map of where local teams are so you could arrange realistic friendlies with big teams. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Guess you missed the mention of Man Utd there then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(And Sheff U/Wednesday used to be in the prem icon_wink.gif)

Jimbo has a point though going outside your normal scope of knowlege is hardly realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely, arranging friendlies with clubs outside your scouting abilities should not be allowed, because it just wouldn't happen in real life, I was just being pedantic in pointing that out above.

Guess you missed the mention of Man Utd there then...

As big as Man Utd are, they are still based in the same country as Worksop which makes it far more possible. Man Utd often play friendlies against very lowly opposition in UK & Ireland in pre-season and just give their youth a run around or players that need match fitness.

Very rarely do you see an enormous FOREIGN club come over specifically to play a none league side, in fact I can't name an example of any team from abroad that features in the Champions League (like Barcelona & Real Madrid do) that has done this in recent years. They come over to play the big English teams yes, but I can't remember the last time they came over just to play in a competition that a none league side is hosting.

Definitely, arranging friendlies with clubs outside your scouting abilities should not be allowed, because it just wouldn't happen in real life, I was just being pedantic in pointing that out above.

My bad, this appeared seconds before I posted my point.

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

My bad, this appeared seconds before I posted my point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem mate, I realised almost immediately after I'd posted that first comment that it might have sounded like I was advocating the idea of such friendly arrangements, hence my quick follow-up to it.

What would really hep is a map of where local teams are so you could arrange realistic friendlies with big teams. icon14.gif

Ask and you shall receive! icon_smile.gif

This site has a map of all English football stadia in levels 1-6 of the football pyramid.

It also has maps for a whole bunch of other countries too.

Originally posted by apg26:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

This site has a map of all English football stadia in levels 1-6 of the football pyramid.

It also has maps for a whole bunch of other countries too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazing! icon14.gif

Originally posted by apg26:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

It also has maps for a whole bunch of other countries too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one! I'm playing with Guiseley who are my local team so I already know which other clubs are nearby, but I'm sure this will prove helpful to others.

Can't wait for my huge local derby with Farsley Celtic once I finally get up and running (too much work at the moment to be playing).

I nerver did this challenge last year as I was too late, but I didn't think it would be so hard.. I'm being chelmsford, and the only ray of light has been captain Gez Murphy, who was one of the heroes of the FA Cup last year IRL, who has 7 in 10.

Also, I think many people thought some bloke said 'Barca, Real, Athletico' etc, he actually said the B AND C teams of those teams...

Originally posted by fatski:

I nerver did this challenge last year as I was too late, but I didn't think it would be so hard.. I'm being chelmsford, and the only ray of light has been captain Gez Murphy, who was one of the heroes of the FA Cup last year IRL, who has 7 in 10.

Also, I think many people thought some bloke said 'Barca, Real, Athletico' etc, he actually said the B AND C teams of those teams...

Still very unrealistic, I don't think I've ever heard of any non-league side having friendlies against B and C teams from clubs like those.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatski:

Still very unrealistic, I don't think I've ever heard of any non-league side having friendlies against B and C teams from clubs like those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, I was just being observational having seen that somepeople were exaggerating what he said.

Yea i agree. I must admit, in the FM07 7.0.1 game (carshalton) i did do this, (around 4 or 5 each pre-season) and i made close on 2 Million a year from them for about 4 years (i even posted it in the FM07 Challenge forum) and it was VERY unrealistic. Close on £10 million in the bank for a conference national team was stupid.

This year i havant tried it yet, (forgot about it, to be honest), and, since we seem to communally agree its cheating, i'll not do it.

But i do still need to get quick cash, (150k) because the board are becoming increasingly unhappy about the state of the finances...

(which, just as dafuge found out, was laregly due to the 'win bonus' at the end of the season)

A crippling 75k was paid out to my players for finishing 12th .. god forbid had i made it any higher....

Archived