dafuge's FM10 challenge

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just caved and went out and bought FM10. So I guess I should do this challenge again, ;)

I might do more interesting reports this time, too!

Going to go for a new club no one's done it with before, any ideas please?

52 minutes left for my patch.. Oh I love the fact steam never gives me 8mg download

Hmm, all I've been doing is poring over lists of players on who to sign. It really is impossible to look for players for BSN sides!

The players that come up in the backroom advice are a good start. They can come up with some crackers

Cysne - I don't think anyone is managing Hemel, but the problem is that only the ones with the higher reputation seem to get promoted

Also sometimes your other coaches have suggestions in Backroom Advice. I've signed a few players from both suggestions.

I've found the backroom advice better than the scouting. The scouts have come up with a few but the problem is they seem to only be picking players who are fit for the Blue Square North. Whereas I want players who will be able to play in the division above.

Exactly my point, I got advice about Chris Herd and Francisco Duran from backroom advice and IRL they're currently in the reserves of Aston Villa and Liverpool.

It's always worth sending a scout to have a look at suggested players from both the ass man's team report and the backroom advice. Sometimes the player might be half a star and sometimes they could be 4 and a half star players and they mostly do seem interested in signing for you even in the BSS/BSN, whereas a scout's suggestion probably won't be interested.

Nantwich Town FC - (2010/11) - Blue Square North

Predicted to finish 20th by the media, I said I'd keep us up.

League Table

League Positions

Results 1

Results 2

Results 3

Started off slowly with 1 point from 3 games, but as I gradually added to the squad we were never really in danger of relegation. I was hopeful of a playoff spot but we ending up gatecrashing the league, going top after 35 games. There we remained until after the 41st game, successive defeats having destroyed our 5 point lead. However, victory over Tamworth, combined with Vauxhall falling to defeat, saw us clinch an unexpected title, and with it, promotion at the first time of asking.

There was a pitiful effort in the FA Cup, losing to lower league opposition at the first attempt. We managed a decent run in the FA Trophy though, knocking out Gainsborough Trinity of the BSP.

Transfers

Squad

It took a while to hire a scout, and then signings came in dribs and drabs throughout the season. There's still a fair amount of deadwood, and an overhaul is needed for next season.

Key Players

Sean Fitzharris only started playing when my other forwards forgot how to score, but was instrumental in our rise up the table.

Jared Hodgkiss is a solid right back who should do a job for the next few seasons.

The story so far

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square North       1st         BSN Champions

First priority will again be safety, I need to do some wheeling and dealing if we're to challenge.

I think i've succeded in signing the least professional player ever. Signed a young French player on a free, he was formerly at Man U who had payed 1.5 Million for him 2 seasons before.

Described as tempermental, by the end of august he has missed 2 matches and 1 training session after going to nightclubs :rolleyes:.

As he is a first teamer he won't accept any tutoring, he got angry when i suggested it and angry when i warned him for missing a match.

2011/12- Billericay Town - Blue Square Premier

League Position - 2nd

TABLE

GRAPH

Pretty straightforward season really, as you can see from the graph. We started off a little slow as I was busy snapping up every half-decent free my AssMan could put in front of me, but once we gelled a bit we stayed at the top all season long. Barnet was pretty clearly the class of the league and certainly a nemesis for me, so it was the playoff lottery once again.

Playoff semi was pretty much a walk, a 0-2 in the first leg on goals from Michael Standing and Calvin Andrew meant I could play pretty safe in the second. It wasn't necessary though as Andrew popped up with a hattrick in a 4-1 demolition for a comfortable 6-1 agg win over Kidderminster.

The playoff final pitted us against Cambridge. I wish I could tell the story in a way that made the game interesting, but other than my stikers missing a hatful of chances in the first half, my dour, defensive, longball-hoofing squad managed a 1-0 when Callum Harrison buried a 25-footer. We're going up!

The cups were a little better this year. In the FA Cup we got to the 2nd round, grabbing Gillingham as Billericay's biggest scalp to date in the 1st round and then dropping out via a 1-3 in the replay against Shrewsbury. Results.

We made it to the FA Trophy final for a run-out at Wembley, but Barnet were too strong and too rested as we were battling in the play-offs. We never really looked like winning, but battled to bring the match to penalties before succumbing. Results.

TRANSFERS.

Highlights of the squad this season:

Lewis Guy - The striker signed on free and was the pacy half of my preferred strikeforce, contributing the goals Kyle Wilson was unable to regularly at this level.

Calvin Andrew - Andrew was the large half of the strikeforce and contributed inconsistent but valuable goals.

Callum Harrison - The midfielder was my most consistent man in the middle of the park, and popped up with a few key goals.

Daniel Jones - Primarily a left winger but a marauding fullback for me, he is undoubtedly my best player and one of the few who is really L2 class.

FINANCES

For next season, I think we have a sufficient squad to not get relegated in League 2, but the money is really going to be an issue. This team will get a whole lot more expensive when we go pro and my sad, sad, wage budget is not going to cover it. I'll have to let almost all my depth go and hope we can stay healthy.

Billericay Town

2010/2011 - Blue Square South - 2nd, playoffs - promoted, FA Cup - 3rd qualifying round, FA Trophy - 3rd qualifying round

2011/2012 - Blue Square Premier - 2nd, playoffs - promoted, FA Cup - 2nd round, FA Trophy - Final

G. Keenan's FC United- 2026/2027 Season Review- Premier League

Season review: After finishing as runner up for the Premier League crown for the past two seasons I really wanted this to be my year, and our start was great leading to a 6 point lead by Christmas. As the Champions league and FA Cup schedule started heating up our fixture list became very busy, and while I don't want to blame that for a loss in the form, the two did coincide very nicely. With about 4 games to go it looked as though Chelsea and their 5 point lead would hold strong, but we were able to come back at them and ended up winning the league by one point thanks to a 94th minute goal on the final day of the season.

Cup review:

FA Cup- loss in final to West Ham.

League Cup- 3rd round exit to Wolves.

Champions League- Semi final loss to Barcelona.

League Table

Squad

Finances

Career Overview

Season      League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11    Blue Square North          5th         None
2011/12    Blue Square North          1st         Promoted, BSN champions
2012/13    Blue Square Premier        7th         None
2013/14    Blue Square Premier        3rd         Promoted, playoffs
2014/15    Coca-Cola League 2         22nd        None
2015/16    Coca-Cola League 2         3rd         Promoted
2016/17    Coca-Cola League 1         16th        None
2017/18    Coca-Cola League 1         1st         Promoted, L1 champions
2018/19    Coca-Cola Championship     15th        None
2019/20    Coca-Cola Championship     5th         None
2020/21    Coca-Cola Championship     6th         Promoted, playoffs
2021/22    Premier League             10th        None
2022/23    Premier League             12th        None
2023/24    Premier League             10th        None
2024/25    Premier League             2nd         None
2025/26    Premier League             2nd         Community Shield winners
2026/27    Premier League             1st         [b]Premier League champions[/b]

G. Keenan's FC United- 2026/2027 Season Review- Premier League

Season review: After finishing as runner up for the Premier League crown for the past two seasons I really wanted this to be my year, and our start was great leading to a 6 point lead by Christmas. As the Champions league and FA Cup schedule started heating up our fixture list became very busy, and while I don't want to blame that for a loss in the form, the two did coincide very nicely. With about 4 games to go it looked as though Chelsea and their 5 point lead would hold strong, but we were able to come back at them and ended up winning the league by one point thanks to a 94th minute goal on the final day of the season.

Cup review:

FA Cup- loss in final to West Ham.

League Cup- 3rd round exit to Wolves.

Champions League- Semi final loss to Barcelona.

League Table

Squad

Finances

Career Overview

Season      League                   Position    Achievements

2010/11    Blue Square North          5th         None
2011/12    Blue Square North          1st         Promoted, BSN champions
2012/13    Blue Square Premier        7th         None
2013/14    Blue Square Premier        3rd         Promoted, playoffs
2014/15    Coca-Cola League 2         22nd        None
2015/16    Coca-Cola League 2         3rd         Promoted
2016/17    Coca-Cola League 1         16th        None
2017/18    Coca-Cola League 1         1st         Promoted, L1 champions
2018/19    Coca-Cola Championship     15th        None
2019/20    Coca-Cola Championship     5th         None
2020/21    Coca-Cola Championship     6th         Promoted, playoffs
2021/22    Premier League             10th        None
2022/23    Premier League             12th        None
2023/24    Premier League             10th        None
2024/25    Premier League             2nd         None
2025/26    Premier League             2nd         Community Shield winners
2026/27    Premier League             1st         [b]Premier League champions[/b]

Cracking season bud, very close there so good luck next season, that Barca result looked like it was a bad day at the office :(

Kingstonian (2012/2013)

Blue Square Premier Prediction - 23

Blue Square Premier Position - 5

Table Playoff Semi final

Graph

Summary

Did good all season although beeing predicted to end as no 23. We kept playing well and ended up in a playoff spot.

Unfortunaly we sucked ( mainly because my 3 biggest stars of cause were injuried ) and lost in the semi.

We dont seem to have the playoff luck unfortunaly.

Another problem is that our finances now are 250k in the red and the board keep injecting us with cash, i hope i can be able to sell somebody soon

Squad

McAusland the top goalscorer! (no playoff)

Canbaz A massive signing for the team. After one day of trial he was signed and was our best player.(no playoff)

Matchett New signing, was very stable

Mcmenamin New signing, looks great for this division (no playoff)

Transfers

Goals for the upcoming season:

I hope not to go in another play off session, so i aim for the 1st place :)

League                Season    Finished   Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------
Blue Square South     20010/11   4th       Playoff Final losers
Blue Square South     20011/12   1st       Blue Square South Champions
Blue Square Premier   20012/13   5th       Playoff semi-final losers 

Boston United - Season 1 - Blue Square North - 2010/2011

Media Prediction - 15th

Final Position - 1st

FA Cup - 1st Round

FA Trophy - Fourth Round

League Table

Position Graph

Transfers

Finances

Manager Profile

Manager Personal

So started off the season with some mediocre and bad performances and ended up in the bottom half after the first 10 games or so. Form managed to pick up after bringing in some more new players and I guess tactics finally sorted and team starting to gel went on some long unbeaten runs and managed to end up in first. Was in the promotion places for the second half of the season and managed to claim first and keep it until the end.

In the cups I surpassed expectations and managed to get to the 4th round of the FA Trophy. Got beaten by a BSP team though so fair enough. In the FA Cup I managed to reach the 1st round and got knocked out at home to L2 opposition.

Made a bucket load of signings as you'll see and most helped throughout the season at various points. Have made some new signings for next season already and copped a decent regen and looking to scout an AMC in the Trial Day games as well as managing to get the AssMan I wanted before but wouldn't come and managed to get him now that I'm promoted. Man Utd as parent club too replacing my one season with Norwich. Hoping to use that next season in L2 hopefully if I managed back to back promotions as I did last version.

Awards

Manager of Season

League               Season    Finished  Notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Square North    10/11       1st    Champions

Also sometimes your other coaches have suggestions in Backroom Advice. I've signed a few players from both suggestions.
I'd advise using your assistant manager's recommendations, they really helped me out in the early going.
I've found the backroom advice better than the scouting. The scouts have come up with a few but the problem is they seem to only be picking players who are fit for the Blue Square North. Whereas I want players who will be able to play in the division above.

I've been looking at them, but inevitably, all of them are turning out to be ****. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the BSP next season and I want to find players who can do a job there. Not many around, but when you find one, they end up being brilliant !

For now, I'm just poring over lists of players on general search whose contracts have expired and also going through the BSP squads to find players whose contracts have expired or are expiring. Also, I've noticed a few of the posters here have filled their teams with Bulgarian (Or was it Belgian?) players. How is this possible without loading the Belgian / Bulgarian league?

Another question, why is everyone in the red when it comes to balances? I'm making enough money for the season from the friendlies at the start. Just play your U-18 teams against teams like Boro (40k), Stoke (25k), Boca (45k) multiple times and then arrange friendlies against much smaller clubs for your first team to gel and have a run out against.

Working out well so far for me. Am I breaking any rules?

Another question, why is everyone in the red when it comes to balances? I'm making enough money for the season from the friendlies at the start. Just play your U-18 teams against teams like Boro (40k), Stoke (25k), Boca (45k) multiple times and then arrange friendlies against much smaller clubs for your first team to gel and have a run out against.

Working out well so far for me. Am I breaking any rules?

Not really, although struggling with the debt is all part of the challenge.

Season 2024/25 Review - Kingstonian in the Premier League

League Table

Past Positions

Binned the old defensive 4-5-1 in favor of a free-flowing 4-4-2 now that we have the players for it. It was pretty much an instant success, keeping us at the top fighting for first place before eventually running away with it. Liverpool put up a brave fight, but were never able to properly bridge the gap. English champions! :D

Champions League Group G | 1st Knockout Rnd | Qtr Final | Semi Final | Final

What a final! With defensive rock Wilson suspended, new striker ace Ian Smith injured, and creative winger Nardi not quite fit I knew we were going to be shaky at the back and lack some creativity up front, but with both teams coming out all guns blazing it turned into an entertaining night in Glasgow. Dan Cooke, straight out of the brand new Kingstonian youth academy, set the pace right away with a beautiful strike no more than 30 seconds into the game, proving he was the right man to replace Smith. Real was not amused and quickly took over the show, equalizing while our right-back was down injured and going on to bury both 1-2 and 1-3. Cooke had however not had enough and lost two Madrid defenders pushing high up into the pitch with a cheeky first touch, out-paced them down to the keeper and scored his second of the night with a placed shot into the corner of the net. Needing two more for the win we pushed higher up and started pumping balls into the box, a strategy that worked brilliantly at first as Vosselman headed in both 3-3 and 4-3 from long sweeping crosses in from the wings, but less spectacularly as Madrid equalized 4-4 on a counter-attack before we got the chance to regroup into defence. This was going to have to be settled in extra time; bad news for a ragged Real Madrid who looked powerless as Vosselman headed in his third of the night and gifted Schonewille the chance to put the final nail in the coffin from the penalty spot after a clumsy challenge from behind in the penalty area. Extra time ended 6-4 and we were European champions! :D

The road to the final was a bit shaky as well and certainly not without hiccups and a fair bit of luck. We scraped through on away goals against both Bayern in the 1st knockout round and Anderlecht in the semis, and the deciding goal in Brussels didn't come until three minutes into stoppage time, right about when I was sure we were out. That's not even mentioning the two penalties we were handed earlier in the game to even get in a position to be looking for that final goal.

FA Cup | League Cup

Retained the League Cup, meaning we've completed a terrific treble. :thup: Still can't seem to get things right in the FA Cup for whatever reason as we got knocked out by Championship side Blackburn on penalties.

Squad

Very strong this year, all I could really wish for is slightly better fullbacks and a stronger DC backup than Jones. I do however have a couple of youth prospects in mind for that, so fingers crossed one of them will be ready in a season or two. The two highlights are probably Ian Smith (goal-scoring machine) and Dan Cooke (fantastic season for a 17-year-old).

Transfers

Spent a lot to get the last bit of quality needed to put in a serious challenge in both the league and cups, and it paid off. Ian Smith is no doubt the best striker the club has seen, and McDonald and Juárez help form a really solid yet technical midfield, providing a whooping 37 assists between them among other things. Made quite a bit of the money back from selling an aging Mael Causse at an almost criminal price along with a couple of squad players, thus ending up breaking both club records for transfer money in and transfer money out handsomely. Oops.

The First-Choice Line-Up

GK: Yasuhiro Yagi

DR: Mark Murphy

DC: Roddy Wilson

DC: Chris Conrad

DL: Edwin Schonewille

MR: Arnaldo Juárez

MC: Callum McDonald

MC: Dobri Petrov

ML: Fabio Nardi

FC: Ian Smith

FC: Gerben Vosselman

Season     Team           League                  Finished  Achievements
2010/11    Kingstonian    Blue Square South       4th       -
2011/12    Kingstonian    Blue Square South       1st       Champions, Promotion
2012/13    Kingstonian    Blue Square Premier     3rd       FA Trophy winners
2013/14    Kingstonian    Blue Square Premier     3rd       Promotion through playoffs
2014/15    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola League 2      8th       -
2015/16    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola League 2      2nd       Promotion
2016/17    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola League 1      5th       -
2017/18    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola League 1      2nd       Promotion
2018/19    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola Championship  7th       -
2019/20    Kingstonian    Coca-Cola Championship  2nd       Promotion
2020/21    Kingstonian    Premier League          14th      -
2021/22    Kingstonian    Premier League          11th      -
2022/23    Kingstonian    Premier League          5th       League Cup winners
2023/24    Kingstonian    Premier League          2nd       League Cup winners
[b]2024/25    Kingstonian    Premier League          1st       League Cup winners, Champions, Champions League winners[/b]

We are 1-0 up :_)

Walmsley Freekick

1-1 :(

2-1

3-1

WHOOP!

5th in the BSP, Playoffs here we come!

James Walker came off the bench at half time and scored the 2 goals to win it for us!

Unfortunatley he is now injured :( Could have done with him for the playoffs!

Hes out for 4 weeks :(

Heres the match

Congrats on completing the Challenge scab. Was thinking - could you give us a step by step guide to the best tips for each season based on how you did it? How to get out of the BSS/N, then consolidation in the BSP, promotion etc., all the way up from going from a mid-table team to Championship challengers? Would be helpful to people who struggle a bit more.

I think it's a fair way to do it, its what happens IRL.

A one off match between a lower league team and a local big club I can understand, but not a series of matches between a lower league team's youth team and a string of big clubs.

I'd be quite interested to see a link for a fixture list for a lower league club who has had a pre season like that, even if it is to prove me wrong.

Quick update: Managed to get Nuneaton promoted first time of asking, albeit via the playoffs ;) I beat Stafford Rangers 3-1 in the playoff final, 2 of those goals in the first half of extra time I might add ;)

Onwards and upwards in the BSP !

Nantwich Town, Season 2, 2011-12 - Blue Square North

Finished - 1st

League Table Link

Past Positions

Squad

Transfers

The annually, non-AI team of the year

GK - Nathan McDonald, 20, English

DR - Jared Hodgkiss, 25, English

DL - Dan Smith, 25, English

DC - Jack Pearson, 22, English

DC - Ritchie Sutton, 26, English

MR -

, 25, Canadian

ML - Junior Brown, 23, English

MC - Chris Flynn, 24, Welsh

MC - Kevin Street, 34, English

ST - Harry Clayton, 19, English ** - Been on loan for 2 years, now an official member after being signed at end of season.

ST - Colin Heath, 28, English

-

Season Summary

So obviously, after the initiation season, your aims change. Instead of trying to avoid the nasty, black hole of relegation, you begin to push for the dizzy heights of promotion. This could involve you bringing in new players, loan signings, new staff etc. To a certain extent this is exactly what I did. However if you have taken the time to look at the transfers I made, you will see I didn't really make many significant changes to my squad. I don't know if it was whether the squad gelled more, or whether they got better, but whatever it was, it meant that we did a lot better than last year.

A championship win was certainly unexpected, however I think it was more down to the other teams being a lot worse, as we were nothing special. Harry Clayton's story is pretty funny. I manged to get him on loan in the first season, then extended it for 8 months, then got him back on loan until the end of the season a few days after he returned, and then when he left I signed him. If you have looked at my transfer screenshot, you will see upon promotion I signed a few experienced pro's. Most likely Frenchman, Laurent Robert!

-

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements

2010/11   Blue Square North       15th         None
2011/12   Blue Square North       1st          Promoted via winning the league

Thanks everyone!

Congrats on completing the Challenge scab. Was thinking - could you give us a step by step guide to the best tips for each season based on how you did it? How to get out of the BSS/N, then consolidation in the BSP, promotion etc., all the way up from going from a mid-table team to Championship challengers? Would be helpful to people who struggle a bit more.

Sure. Well, probably not step-by-step, but get a good assistant manager with good JPA/JPP attributes and keep checking the team report regularly for players he recommends, even if you haven't made any changes to the squad. It will change along with the club's scouting knowledge and who's available and was essential for me to get the right players, especially in the lower leagues. Get scouts with knowledge of major countries outside of the UK to widen the area he picks from, foreigners can usually be trialled even if the scouts can't go take a look at them. Tactically I'd suggest to stick to the Rigid/Very Rigid types until, well, until a few seasons into the Premiership. We were always the underdog every single season and could never match the big teams in player quality, so this was the only way to ever beat them.

Another feature I've started (ab)using is player praise/criticism. I basically do this before every single game with players I haven't already done it to in the past month to maximize their morale; it will go straight from Poor to Superb if it succeeds and stay that way for 2 days before usually going down to Very Good. And it's not hard to get right. Add fines to that and I usually get good performances out of everyone on match day. For training I just leave everything on General as long as I have a small squad; injury prevention and fitness is more important. Especially as most players won't stay longer than 1-3 seasons. Maybe I bumped up one or two sliders for specific players, but no more. I only started doing my usual individual training schedules for all players the 2nd season in the Premiership; almost everyone on General until then.

Hmm... I think that's all I can think of right now.

Archived